Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Bahrain Grand Prix - Romain Grosjean crash

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Bahrain Grand Prix - Romain Grosjean crash

Postby Itsallaguess » November 29th, 2020, 7:05 pm

Unbelievable that Romain Grosjean was able to survive his simply horrendous crash today, and I don't think he would have done if the safety side of Formula 1 had not improved massively over the past 20 years or so, with the benefits of much improved flame-retardant clothing, and especially today, the superb monocoque survival-cell, with it's integral halo that protects the drivers head from impact-damage...

Some footage for anyone who missed it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxQAn5iM7Q

https://streamable.com/rh7ynl

It sounds like he's bust a few ribs and has a few burns, but looking at the way that car split in two, and his monocoque survival cell embedded itself into that flaming side-barrier, he's one hell of a lucky boy...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Re: Bahrain Grand Prix - Romain Grosjean crash

Postby ReformedCharacter » November 29th, 2020, 7:29 pm

Grosjean was very lucky not to have injured himself such that he couldn't climb out, otherwise he'd have suffered some pretty bad burns. All credit to the safety facilities.

RC

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 29th, 2020, 9:21 pm

So incredibly fortunate in so many ways.

Had the halo not been introduced, it looks like his head and helmet would have hit the Armco head on with unthinkable results.

If he'd lost conciousness he'd have been burned alive.

Had the accident happened further round the track, or on a subsequent lap, the medical car would not have been on scene within a few seconds with extinguishers and an initial assessment .

Even so, I'm amazed he's not suffered lung damage from the intense heat. Do they have some sort of air supply to avoid breathing in air from a fire like that?

If as believed, he has just minor burns to wrist and ankles and possibly a broken rib or two, I think he can consider himself extremely fortunate.

And both Dr Ian Roberts and medical car driver Alan van der Merwre deserve a medal for racing towards a potential explosion without a second thought for their own safety. I noticed marshalls were pretty quickly on the scene but unable to get close enough from the service road side to do anything effective.

I certainly feared the worst when I saw it unfold.

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 29th, 2020, 11:43 pm

Apologies for it being a Daily Mail link, but here's a video of Romain in hospital, smiling broadly:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sport ... crash.html

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » November 30th, 2020, 2:37 pm

NomoneyNohoney wrote:Apologies for it being a Daily Mail link, but here's a video of Romain in hospital, smiling broadly:

Why the gratuitous insult to the Daily Mail?

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » November 30th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Incredible good fortune.

I hope they don,t put him in a car too soon after such big g forces.

Didn,t Massa have a bad smash and then went racing soon after?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 30th, 2020, 4:47 pm

feder1 wrote:
Incredible good fortune.

I hope they don't put him in a car too soon after such big g forces.

Didn't Massa have a bad smash and then went racing soon after?

That's a good point, and something I didn't mention in my opening post - never mind the huge fireball he was sat in for all that time - the impact alone was registered at 53G!!

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

NomoneyNohoney
Lemon Slice

Postby NomoneyNohoney » November 30th, 2020, 4:53 pm

scottnsilky wrote:
NomoneyNohoney wrote:Apologies for it being a Daily Mail link, but here's a video of Romain in hospital, smiling broadly:

Why the gratuitous insult to the Daily Mail?

There are those who consider the Daily Mail to be unsuitable...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 30th, 2020, 8:16 pm

feder1 wrote:Incredible good fortune.

I hope they don,t put him in a car too soon after such big g forces.

Didn,t Massa have a bad smash and then went racing soon after?

Who is the "they" you are referring to. Do you really think anyone would ask a professional driver to do something they were uncomfortable with, or such a driver could be coerced into doing something such as you suggest?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » November 30th, 2020, 8:28 pm

dealtn wrote:
feder1 wrote:
Incredible good fortune.

I hope they don't put him in a car too soon after such big g forces.

Didn't Massa have a bad smash and then went racing soon after?

Who is the "they" you are referring to.

Do you really think anyone would ask a professional driver to do something they were uncomfortable with, or such a driver could be coerced into doing something such as you suggest?

I didn't read feder's post that way - I took it to imply that he should perhaps be protected from himself if he wants to get into a car again too soon after this terrible incident...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howard
Lemon Quarter

Postby Howard » November 30th, 2020, 9:29 pm

Itsallaguess wrote:Unbelievable that Romain Grosjean was able to survive his simply horrendous crash today, and I don't think he would have done if the safety side of Formula 1 had not improved massively over the past 20 years or so, with the benefits of much improved flame-retardant clothing, and especially today, the superb monocoque survival-cell, with it's integral halo that protects the drivers head from impact-damage...

Some footage for anyone who missed it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxQAn5iM7Q

https://streamable.com/rh7ynl

It sounds like he's bust a few ribs and has a few burns, but looking at the way that car split in two, and his monocoque survival cell embedded itself into that flaming side-barrier, he's one hell of a lucky boy...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I watched the race recording on Ch 4 yesterday evening.

The British Doctor was rightly hailed as a hero. But an even braver/more effective hero, which I (and the commentators) didn't see until we could watch the aerial view you linked to was the Bahraini steward who ran across the track with a heavy fire extinguisher, didn't start it until he got close to the fire, and as the doctor arrived, at exactly the right time blasted the fire away from the doctor and Grosjean, allowing him to escape. Other stewards were ineffective.

Personal view, but without that guy putting himself in the right place at the right moment, Grosjean wouldn't have survived.

regards

Howard

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2020, 9:42 pm

Howard wrote:I watched the race recording on Ch 4 yesterday evening.

The British Doctor was rightly hailed as a hero. But an even braver/more effective hero, which I (and the commentators) didn't see until we could watch the aerial view you linked to was the Bahraini steward who ran across the track with a heavy fire extinguisher, didn't start it until he got close to the fire, and as the doctor arrived, at exactly the right time blasted the fire away from the doctor and Grosjean, allowing him to escape. Other stewards were ineffective.

Personal view, but without that guy putting himself in the right place at the right moment, Grosjean wouldn't have survived.

regards

Howard

Yes, a good point. The marshall on the service road appeared unsure of what to do and aimed an extinguisher rather half heartedly. Though having said that, I doubt any extinguisher on that side would have made much difference.

The actions of the marshall you mention is but one link in a chain of events which led to the incredible outcome. Had any one of those links not been present we could easily have been looking at a tragedy.

Yet it's ironic that later in the race, when Perez's car caught fire, a marshall risked death or serious injury by running across the track whilst the race was live, in what was, I assume, a well intentioned but foolish attempt to tackle a non life threatening fire.

I guess most if not all marshalls are local, and as such would not be as experienced or well trained as marshalls in countries which have a long history of motor racing.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 30th, 2020, 9:50 pm

staffordian wrote:a marshall risked death or serious injury by running across the track whilst the race was live, in what was, I assume, a well intentioned but foolish attempt to tackle a non life threatening fire.

A car doing 200 mph covers 100 yards every second or so. There is no way you can run across a track thinking that your path is clear.

As the RAF pilots said in WW2: "You never see the one that gets you".

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » November 30th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Lootman wrote:
staffordian wrote:a marshall risked death or serious injury by running across the track whilst the race was live, in what was, I assume, a well intentioned but foolish attempt to tackle a non life threatening fire.

A car doing 200 mph covers 100 yards every second or so. There is no way you can run across a track thinking that your path is clear.

As the RAF pilots said in WW2: "You never see the one that gets you".

Absolutely.

There were yellows out, but the cars are still not hanging about.

F1 speeds are so deceptive. You only need to see the safety car, driven by an experienced racing driver, running round looking like it's on the edge at every bend, and the likes of Hamilton struggling to stay behind it and complaining it's going so slow their tyres and brakes are getting too cold to work...

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » December 1st, 2020, 8:28 am

staffordian wrote:
Yet it's ironic that later in the race, when Perez's car caught fire, a marshall risked death or serious injury by running across the track whilst the race was live, in what was, I assume, a well intentioned but foolish attempt to tackle a non life threatening fire.

See Tom Pryce South Africa 1977.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Postby staffordian » December 1st, 2020, 9:28 am

dealtn wrote:
staffordian wrote:

See Tom Pryce South Africa 1977.

Mmm, probably better not to.

Awful, and a different world as far as F1 safety is concerned.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”