Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 77

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Bink333
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 77

Postby Bink333 » February 17th, 2021, 3:51 pm

This season has been a bit intense, the new format of international games having to prep Friday & Monday for the opening fixtures has kept me busy.

My week 5/6 update.

England

5 wins from 5 sees me topping the table by +7GD. I'm home to 2nd on Sunday. I've lined up a buyer for The Zombie, Alex who gave him his first U20 cap will take him on for defender training in a couple of months when his scoring reaches 8. 30 weeks of that and then he'll need rehoming with a PM trainer to go to 19 (to suit the Support Spec trigger requiring higher main skill than the opposing team average).

In the Cup I made it to R6, facing a II team that had gone to extra time in R5, and whom seemed possible to beat. I won 4-2 last night, to become the lowest ranked team left in the Cup. The England U21 manager has agreed to provide a few questions for me to celebrate facing the Champions of England in a press article due for next week. I've met Derim at an Edinburgh Social (and Jack for that matter at the same event) and last faced him 17 seasons ago in R7 having beaten Posti in R6 4-2. I beat Derim in R7 that time, a lucky one, and I'd have to be stupidly lucky to repeat this against a full stamina Prem side when my best player is still U26 at 10% stamina.

England U21 had a hiccough against Albania, but responded with 7 goals without reply to defeat the mighty Italy 4-0 and Northern Ireland 0-3. That puts us in a strong position to qualify for the WC at the half-way stage and in contention to win the group to get to the playoff stages for Champions of Europe. We do have a tough group though, Sweden has had some tough luck and Slovenia can never be under-estimated.

Oceania

5 wins from 5 sees me topping the table by 3pts & +10GD. The sale of my GK did not materialise - and I did see a couple of Chines unpredictable NT GK that would have made perfect replacements sell within budget (had my GK sold) . The Cup run was cut short by another Wombat titled team and the 100x replays suggested it was a coin toss who went through. One of the closes replays I've ever seen with a straight 50/50 no draws, most common scoreline 1-0 or 0-1. They man-marked my best forward which wasn't quite as effective as my powerful defender playing as an IM marking one of their forwards. Cracking game, and my opponent Revtonka is part of the Oceanian Slack community - which made it more fun. I did buy a reserve GK - one I trained myself as a home grown until I decided to focus on Wb. He's getting on a bit now but decent cover with Oceanian wages is something I have to consider. Training defending full time is over at last. I've been playing 2-5-3 in the support cup games while training passing. 6 weeks or so of that and then stamina goes up with SP training.

South Africa.

3 wins one draw and a loss sees me top of the table on 10pts. 5th is on 9pts - I'm away to them next. This one looks like a fun season! I had to raise stamina and keep a form coach, as my home grown no spec player has been called for U21 duty. I had 40% stamina for then 25% and this week down to 12% as he's turned 20 and it is easier to hold excellent stamina at that age than at 19 something. He Captained the team against Nigeria as he has passable leadership and I've been tidy with his xp gains along the way, so that's a nice reward for the defender training (which has a season left before I return to GK). I got knocked out by a II side in the Cup, and then exacted revenge by knocking them out of the consolation Cup last week.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » February 18th, 2021, 10:28 am

Div IV

In the league I faced the bottom team at home. They are yet to win a game in the league, and I duly punished them in an easy 4-0 win.
Now up to 4th, and sitting comfortable. The title race is long gone, so content with a mid-table finish.

In the Cup I sacrificed a little defense training to go 352 AOW. Opponent went 523 CA.
A nervy start saw me 1-0 down at half time, and suffering confusion with the new formation. But with a total of 9 attacks, of which 8 went to my stronger wing attacks, goals were inevitable. Final score 2-1 and through to round 7.

Next week I play 7th away from home in the league, and should win OK.
The Cup is a little trickier - neutral venue and playing a high flying Div II team who is knocking on the door of the premiership. They have the much better team which is always difficult to overcome no matter how inventive your tactics are.

Div V

In 1st, playing 7th, at home. Straight forward 5-0 win.

Still in the Tom DHT losers cup with a tentative 1-0 win.

Bot team in the league this week, freeing up the first team for the Cup.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » February 18th, 2021, 10:33 am

Donut102 wrote:
Can someone on here give an intelligent explanation what this Hattrick ................. is all about please.

It's an online football management game here:
http://www.hattrick.org
Free to play, browser based with an app as well.
No relation to FPL.

Why not play in the Lemon Fool FPL League?

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » February 18th, 2021, 11:17 am

Why not play in the Lemon Fool FPL League?

I do - currently sitting in 11th spot, out of 13. :(

However Hattrick isn't Fantasy Football, but a Football Management game. It's more like a slimmed down Championship manager in MMORPG environment, with fictional players.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » February 22nd, 2021, 5:36 pm

Well, we squeaked through the Conspirator Cup 1-2, which was nice and then this week in the league we squeaked out another win, at home 2-1 to a close rival that we really had to beat (2-0 would have felt better but they got a last minute consolation). It leaves us in 4th on 9pts.

The next two games are the back to backs against Bink's team. They're likely to go his way, which is why I had to win yesterdays game. I will let Bink explain the humdinger of a game he's just played against his only rival! Playing me will be a doddle....

Next Cup game is away and there's not a lot in it - there is 1 pt between us in power ratings. Guess its down to who wants it more, again...

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » February 23rd, 2021, 11:43 am

England III
Cup
Home to Malin Uniited, who knocked me out of George Carey Cup last season. I got a bit more possession than I had anticipated and our attack/defence rations were similar, but they played creatively (+23) with 10 unpredictable outfield players. I took the lead, they went 1-2 up, then in the 90th minute I equalised. Come extra time the two IM subs I had made on 70 and 75 mins paid off as their stamina faded and I became more dominant. I scored the winner on 100 mins.
This week on neutral territory to a Div II 5-5-0 LS team. I tried my tactics against this formation in a tournament game last week and it didn't work well. With my best available forwards being in weak and inad-bruised form, it's going to be tough. I've got my man-marker set. Let's see what happens.

League
I was in 5th and at home. Having lost the last three I really needed to get back to winning, but two injured forwards makes my attack toothless. Opposition played 3-5-2 CA. I got 85% possession but only 10% attack ratios. They won 0-1. Down to seventh. Not good. Let's hope form returns. My last injured forward should return to bruised before the next league game.

England VI
2-0 home win. I remain in second, though 7 points clear of the only other active team in the league, who I have a double header coming up against. There is an ownerless team who is doggedly staying on top. I hope to pass them at some point in the next few weeks.

Vietnam V
Only two other active teams (not including one that has just logged in for the first time in about 6 weeks) and I have just reported them for cheating as they always log in within 10 minutes of each other from the same IP. I had a 0-5 away win to a bot. Now top where I expect to remain.

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » February 24th, 2021, 9:00 am

Div IV

Next week I play 7th away from home in the league, and should win OK.
The Cup is a little trickier - neutral venue and playing a high flying Div II team who is knocking on the door of the premiership. They have the much better team which is always difficult to overcome no matter how inventive your tactics are.

The league game was a straight forward 2-0 win. Up to 3rd, but 6 points off the league leader.

For the Cup, I went 532 extreme CA with just 1 inner midfielder. The plan was was working, and we took an early 1-0 lead. Unfortunately my PNF took a knock and was subbed off, and my attack ratings fell apart. With no ability to get another goal, an equaliser was inevitable which took us into extra time. At that point it was a contest of my superior stamina vs his superior experience. Experience won, and they scored 2 in extra time to dump me out of the Cup.

I think the league has gone, so I'll drop stamina down to 10% and try and finish off the defender training. I also need to take a hard look at the strikers and refresh and replace as necessary.

Div V

Bot team in the league this week, freeing up the first team for the Cup.

Made hard work of the bot team, winning only 2-0. Still top of the league on 16 points.
2nd lost, and 3rd drew - which has given me a little breathing space over my main rivals. Now 4 points clear of 2nd.

Consolation Cup game was a straight forward 5-0 win. A quick look at next weeks opponent indicates this is the end of the road - which is fine given the real possibility of a league title.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » March 1st, 2021, 10:50 am

Cup game was frustrating, we took the game to penalties having drawn 2-2, but then missed first four penalties to go out. More set pieces training needed?

In the league was first of the back to backs, away against Bink. I wasn't going to win regardless, so took the opportunity to PIC and hope to keep the score down. We lost 5-0 and that felt about right! Probably did Bink's GD some good too....
Next week we are at home, will try not to lose by the same margin but another PIC might do me good for the following games which I will need to win. Despite the loss we stay in 4th, as other results went our way. End of next game I will probably be in 5th, whilst any 1 from teams 4th to 7th will go down, we are that close.

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 1st, 2021, 2:50 pm

....missed first four penalties to go out. More set pieces training needed?

You had the better average experience, and you had three Technical players, but based on your indirect SP ratings I'd say yes, more SP training needed.

Div IV

I think the league has gone, so I'll drop stamina down to 10% and try and finish off the defender training. I also need to take a hard look at the strikers and refresh and replace as necessary.

Went 550 Long Shot in the league, and lost 0-1.
Clearly my LS skill is not good enough, and will go 532 CA for the return leg away from home.
Still mulling over a new striker.

Div V

Won 3-0, and still top of the league clear by 4 points.

Plan to replicate the tactics again this week.
It's an easy run in until the last two weeks of the season. The penultimate match may need to be MOTs to win, but it will depend on the promotion status and/ or the 4 point cushion.

Bink333
Lemon Slice

Postby Bink333 » March 1st, 2021, 3:44 pm

Half way already...

England

The U21 Euros are going well, after a bit of bad luck in an early game against Albania we've been winning games without conceding in games where we were not favourites, and as a result have qualified for the World Cup with 3 games to spare. It's an interesting twist in resource management with respect to managing player ages. Sweden have no over-age players in the squad but look like they might not qualify, we had two that became ineligible last week and filled up the squad with an in form GK and defender so we could PIC CA at home to Sweden on Friday (who also CA'd) winning that one 2-0.

In IV.59 as Eastheath mentioned, we finally played each other this week, the win means I've had 7/7 victories although the previous week had a scare with an injury and 1-3 down to 2nd, before coming back to nick it 5-4 with an injury time winner. 2nd are 3pts and -11GD back.

The youth academy has thrown me a couple of decent 15 year old outfield prospects and an unusual GK prospect with potential for passable defending and solid GK. I'm not sure I can remember seeing a 17/0 solid GK with Def above inadequate, and tbh it looks tight to be able to get there, but I'm going to try.

Made it to R7 of the Cup and was knocked out by the Prem Champions this week. That's OK with 10% stamina and a wretched leadership coach.

Oceania

7/7 in IV with 3pts and +8GD over the demotee from III, and we have switched to passing training, using 2-5-3 in friendlies (and this & next week against the new team in 8th). I spent £2.5m on a 30 something unpred 15Def 16Pass 7Sc player this week to boost central attack from midfield, in games against team with good defences. I still need a GK upgrade and funds are a bit tight but will have a good quick youth being promoted before the season is out (7PM 5wg 5ps 6sc) to boost the coffers a bit more. Wages are £412k pw, before reductions for NT appearances (salaries cost me £365k last week), and I'm hoping 8 will be considered for action for their nations next season. Wages will gradually start reducing as players age now with the 29 year olds being at their peak wage bill wise.

South Africa

We go into the second half of the season with 16pts & top of the table by +4GD. I spend most of the kitty last week on a 30 something 16PM with 14Sc and 9 wing/pass and useful set pieces. He'll be handy for the occasional long shot game and otherwise used to boost m/f or central attack.

4th is just 4pts back so this season's been quite good fun.

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » March 1st, 2021, 10:10 pm

First my weekly summary, then my musings...

Week 7
England III
Knocked out of the Cup as expected by a 5-5-0 LS Div II team. My piffle attack ratings averaged 4% across the sectors. To compound the misery, I got yet another Forward injury of 2 weeks. That's 11 injury-weeks sustained by my three forwards in 5 incidents this season. It was my SP taker again this time. Today I've terminated my level 3 medic 3 weeks early and replaced him by a level 4.

League - I was in 6th away to 5th. My 4-week injured forward returned bruised but still in solid form. However, coupled with my short-term recruit in inad form, we didn't have enough to punch through and we lost 0-3. Having won the first two games of the season, I've lost 5 in a row and am in 8th position. I really need to win the home fixture next week.

England VI
Away to the only remaining active team in the league. I PINed which should have been more than enough to win it, but somehow they took an early 2-0 lead. I came back to lead 2-3 but they equalised in the 89th minute. There is an ownerless team in this league that is unusually strong and doggedly keeps winning, and now my destiny is no longer in my own hands if I want to promote - they need to drop points in another game on top of the victory I will need to have over them (at home in about 3 weeks).
I ordered my first stadium extension last week which will be ready in time for next weeks' home match. I am about £180K in debt, but it will be paid off after three home games.

Vietnam V
Home game in my newly-extended stadium and a good turnout, particularly in the new seats under roof, which give the best return on investment. 5-0 victory and still top. Confident of winning this league.

Now to my ponderings...
I've previously dismissed, without much thought, the long-term approach of cycle training and building the perfect team which will burst and subside, needing rebuilding, but I've been giving it some thought as I have three teams, so I could try to do something different with one or two of them.

Watching Uncle Mish on YouTube (any better resources out there?) the Basic Cycle takes 13 seasons before doing SP training and I think he said one would need 50Million (presumably Euro/Dollars?) to do this. I clearly don't have the funds with my new teams to attempt this, but I wonder if it might be possible to do an intermediate version initially, aiming for PMs with, say [Def/PM/Ps] 11/12/11, rather than 12/18/13, or whatever, with minimal starting funds? That would be a decent Div IV team in England, I think, with much lower wages than I have now in my top team. Some tweaks could take it to Div III, perhaps? There was an example of a totally-HG team that could be like this in an article a few years ago.

Further, my team in Vietnam look like they should promote to Div III in two seasons before facing any competition. With the prize money and Cup rewards that come from a small nation, and the revenue that comes from Div III, the finances should be a lot better there. I might find that I'm going to be reinvesting much of my ticket sales continually into stadium expansions, but once that levels off there should be good returns I think, so it might be easier to something there with a smaller starting sum?

Finally, I'm beginning to wonder that I can't develop Kevster's in Div III any more. Skill training and trading returns are now such that I might only be able to replace like-for-like skills in younger players when my current ones reach about 30. My squad only has a couple of Specs and I have few tactical variations I can use; I can't CA for example. Is it time for a rebuild?

I totted up the value of my squad on TC last night and it came to about £52million. If I look like I'm going to demote straight away this season, I'm contemplating selling up and rebuilding.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 9th, 2021, 2:27 pm

I totted up the value of my squad on TC last night and it came to about £52million. If I look like I'm going to demote straight away this season, I'm contemplating selling up and rebuilding.

The issue will be keeping your £52m in liquid assets. 2% of your excess over £10m (with no FD) will be taken to reserves each week - so spend it quick, and use a level 5 FD to slow it down until you have your new 'trainees'.
Ideally I would start with 9 mono-skilled Titanic PMs with a spec, and a 15-18 GK. Lets say £7m for the Goalie, and £6m for a 20 yr old lvl 15 PM with a good spec - your £52m wont last long.
Then train Defending first on these 10, taking say 3.5 seasons. Then Scoring/ Wing/ Pass/ SP, and by aged 30 you'll have a very nice team for about 2-3 seasons.
Then rinse & repeat....

I've thought about this many times for my team, and concluded I'd just get bored. You wont be truly competitive until you've completed the whole cycle of training, which means I would invariably look to switch training around a bit - having a squad of PM and Defense monsters will mean no goals, and having invested £52m in the team along with 3.5 season of training I would find that very disheartening.

So I got a second team so I would have some interest, and was starting to look to do the cycle training with my main team.
But then I started getting some nice YA players through who I wanted train myself and I gave up on the cycle training idea.
I just don't think I'm dedicated enough over 2 real life years to put this plan into place.

I think this is where I got to in my first run at hattrick. I ended up quitting for a while as w*rk got busy.
But when I came back I reconciled myself to never probably having a shot at a title because I dont have the dedication - but be happy competing in whatever level I balance out at.
For me that means competing in IV, and struggling in III, and getting to R7 of the Cup. And, right now, that's enough for me to keep logging in every day on two teams.

Bink is the man in our little group who has had the most success with the boom & bust approach - he's real experience would far more insightful than my armchair musings of what is theoretically possible.

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » March 10th, 2021, 1:42 am

Hi Donut,

thanks for your comments.

Indeed the cycle I was considering was starting from 9x17yos+ with inad-solid core skills and a GK and doing 2 seas Def, 4 seas PM, 1 seas scoring, 2 seas passing, 4 seas PM. Selling some along the way and buying some half-baked at key points. So, 3 seasons longer than your suggestion before world domination. I see the only benefit of starting right at the beginning like this, other than lower initial outlay, is to incorporate one or more HGs. Up until this week I didn't think I had a suitable YA prospect, but Kevster's pulled a 15.17yo Quick, weak passing, solid potential scoring youth. I'll try to reveal his Def and PM skills quickly, but if he has good potential he has lots of time to max on multiple skills for 17.00. In fact, there is a chance to pull and develop another YA player to promote at a similar time. However, this will mean that I can't start the cycle until nearly two more seaons have passed.

With two other teams now, there is the possibility of trying something with one of these, but being so new and not having amassed any funds yet, it would be to magnificent, not magical, levels in the first cycle, but it could be packed with HGs. I'll give it more thought as there is no rush to start.

England Div III
Having lost five in a row and had a series of forward injuries I was home to fourth. One strong forward was back, but my second choice would be a poor form one or my lower-skilled temp signing. I was ready to start selling players if I lost to cut wages prior to demotion, but I managed a 0-0 draw despite getting 9 chances to their 4. In 7th, but I expect to lose the next two unless my SP-forward's return to health this week brings great returns. Reaching a play-off will be a great result, I think.

England Div VI
There is an ownerless team in this league that is unusually strong and doggedly keeps winning, and now my destiny is no longer in my own hands if I want to promote - they need to drop points in another game on top of the victory I will need to have over them (at home in about 3 weeks).

Of course the next day all the ownerless teams turned to bots and reset their squads, so this well-setup ownerless team should fall off, and indeed they lostt this week, returning my destiny to my own control. I beat the other active team 6-1. I'm still in second but 1 point off the lead.

Vietnam V
2-2 away draw to an owned team (though no log in for a month). Still top.

Cheers,

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » March 11th, 2021, 9:06 pm

The prophesy went as foretold, we were at home to Bink, and we tried not to lose by the same margin as the previous week (5-0) and we also PIC'd as it would do me good for the following games which I will need to win. We got bink'd 1-3, so Bink continues to cruise along in 1st, and despite the loss we only dropped to 5th, with only 4pts covering the teams 4th to 7th.

Next game we are away to 6th, whom we beat 2-1 at home. They will need to win as much as we do, so lets hope the two PICs have helped....

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » March 17th, 2021, 12:13 am

The last two PICs against Bink served us well, we won 1-4 against the team in 6th, retaining our place in 5th and opening a 5 pt gap. Next game is home to 3rd place, it will be tough to get a draw, never mind beat. Teams around me are also likely to lose, so hopefully we wont lose much ground. Still aiming for 4th place by the end of the season...

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 17th, 2021, 3:47 pm

Div IV

2-0 win against 7th placed team was straight forward.
Still in 3rd, 8 points from the top and 12 points from auto-relegation.
So mid-table obscurity and training.

Div V

6-0 win over a bot.
In 1st, 5 points clear of 2nd.
3 easy games coming up, then face 3rd and then 2nd in the last two games. These will decide the league, but I have a nice cushion (for now!).

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » March 19th, 2021, 2:00 am

England Div III
So, having got a point last week for the first time in six games, I hesitated over the thought of selling up and rebuilding. In Week 9 I was away to 5th with low confidence, so PICed and assumed I would lose, though my forwards were returning to health and two were in good form. Somehow I managed to win 1-2 despite losing midefield and having worse attack/defence ratios is all sectors. So, I'm up to the heady heights of 6th, though it's tight at the bottom.

My current best and in-form IM picked up a yellow meaning he is suspended next week, and of course his form hit excellent in todays' update. I'm home on Sunday to the strongest side in the league. It's the first of two consecutive league games, so I have to choose which to PIC and I really need to make sure I win the following week against the bottom side, so I'll PIC this week and expect to lose.

England Div VI
Away to a bot 0-4 win. Still in second place. This week, home to another bot.

Vietnam Div V
Home to the bot at the bottom of the league. A troublesome 3- win. Next week...away to a bot.

Cheers,

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » March 23rd, 2021, 6:11 pm

Bink marches on, wins of 10/10, 6 pts clear of 2nd place. Was hoping to hold up the team in 2nd place, playing them at home, but the 5-4-1 formation got us again, and despite having 8 chances to their 3, home advantage, midfield dominance even with 3-4-3 etc, we still lost 0-2.
So we are in 5th, 4pts off safety and 5 pts off the drop. I'm confident we will avoid the drop, but first we have another toughie away to the team in 3rd, who were 2nd until recently and will probably finish 2nd.
Will need a foray into the transfer market soon, got a few 30 somethings that should be moving on...

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » March 24th, 2021, 12:22 am

England Div III
Home to the strongest team in the league with my best form IM suspended. Home again next week so I PICed this one to save my TS for next week's home game to 8th. Surpisingly I edged possession, though their attack ratios were better than mine. They took the lead twice and I equalised each time. I even took the lead in the second half but they equalised. 3-3 final score. Still in sixth. I really need that home win next week.

England Div VI
5-0 home win. Finally number 1 in the league and 2 points and a few goals above the autopromotion line.

Vietnam Div V
0-4 win away to a bot. Top and in autopromotion position.

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » March 29th, 2021, 10:01 am

Div IV

2-0 win against 5th placed team was straight forward.
Still in 3rd, 5 points from the top and 10 points from 5th.

1st slipped up this week, cutting my deficit to the leaders from 8 points to 5. 1st play 2nd this week, and then I play each of them in the following two weeks. Mathematically I guess the title is within reach if I win all three remaining games, and 1st & 2nd make mistakes.
I'll keep plugging away, but still prioritising training.

Div V

5-1 win against 4th.
In 1st, 5 points clear of 2nd.
Bot this week then I play 3rd and 2nd. I can afford to falter in one of those games, so sitting pretty comfortable right now.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”