Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hattrick Season 78

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Hattrick Season 78

Postby Donut102 » April 28th, 2021, 4:28 pm

Another season is upon us, which means a new thread.

Div IV

Finished 3rd last season, which was fine. R7 in the Cup which was also fine.
I've been focused on getting defense training finished, which should complete mid season. Once done, I may switch to Winger training. If I do I think I'll buy at least one new striker to be trained as the incumbents are getting a little long in the tooth.

I've got a shot at the title this season, so expecting an early bath from the Cup as a result.

Div IV (B)

My second team managed to get promoted via a qualifier. Given this team is yet to breach 300 hatstats it is a little too early. Pre-season scouting confirms this, and I'll be doing a Baggies by going straight back down again.

Never made it past R2 of the Cup with this team, so this is the perfect season to fix that statistic.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Re: Hattrick Season 78

Postby Eastheath » April 30th, 2021, 1:29 am

Back again, for another attempt to stay in IV. Having finished 4th, can we do any better this time?

Div IV
Theres been a bit of movement in our league. Bink has promoted to the greener pastures of III, and his replacement coming down looks as good, unfortunately, with ratings in the 400s compared to my early 300s. The team that came second, which had a chance at the title this season, has done a runner and migrated to another league where he is also second in the rankings. He has been replaced by a bot.
The teams that finished in 5th and 6th both won their qualifiers, so no change there, but the two teams that relegated were replaced by a couple of decent teams, although the incoming team in 8th has been replaced by another team that knows the team in 7th- apparently they are a father and son combo who want to play in the same league. Presume they will help each other out as best they can with some tactical intel. All makes for an unusual season.

Does any of this improve our chances? Nope.
Survival is not guaranteed. Need to buy some midfield, but with £3m in the pot the choices are limited.
Cup run is likely to be terribly indifferent.
I think I'm describing Sheffield Utd!

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » May 1st, 2021, 4:28 pm

Here we go again...

Kevster's
Down to Div IV in England. As previously mentioned I'm planning to start a rebuild in 1.5 seasons, so the belt tightening has started. Over the last 3 weeks 10 players have been sold and 7 bought. The plan is to reduce wages, so most titanic and an e-t players have gone (a couple remain who no-one has bought at reasonable market price, so I'll hang on to these until, say, I'm out of the Cup before trying to sell again). A titanic GK has been listed 4 times and has just had his first bid while I've been typing this; and a Wing trainee is also being bid on right now. All new players are world-class or supernatural in primary skills and all have specs, which is a new (improved) requirement on my part. I have less cover in key positions and wing trainees need to double up as IMs while I'm still in the Cup, at least. Wages are already down £70K/week. There is another £30K to be saved with the remaining tinkerings. It's hard to tell where I'll finish this season in this league: I'm not expecting to win; top 4 would be a good outcome. I expect to demote the following season once the rebuild starts. A that point all of these new players will be sold again.

Fly Suckers
Promoted to Div V after their first season. My aim is to avoid auto-relegation and that was going to be tricky with the league I was promoted into. I thought I'd try league swapping, which I've never done before. There were several leagues with 3 bots, but it is hard to predict if I switched to one of these if other stronger teams might replace the other bots. I therefore chose a league which had 2 bots (one of which I would replace), 2 auto-promoted teams, 1 of which I should be able to beat easily as they are less than half a season old, the other is a few weeks older that my team, but seems to be using all their original players, who may have been developed a bit but this is not an optimal strategy, so hopefully I could finish above this team too. There are two other teams who are 2-3 seasons old and stronger (based on crude assessment of total player TSI), but I wonder if they are catchable if I survive. Yesterday I noticed that another team has swapped for the other bot, and this team is 5 seasons old and is clearly stronger than me, so sixth is my target for the end of this season. My strategy is to continue IM training on my original trainees, with a little bit of skill trading to try to boost capital and buy a few squad players over the season, maybe outstanding primary skill level, to try to compete to some degree.

Hoi An Lunt Kickers
Promoted to Div IV in Vietnam, which is still sparsely populated. My league had 7 bots. All leagues in Div IV had 6, 7 or 8 bots. Again, I did a league swap to a league that had two currently active teams, though one of them was only half a season old, so who knows if they'll stick around, but then that team swapped out leaving me with just one other team, who is also 1-season old. My objective this season is to focus on training, capital building and introducing some HG YA players to my training. The first will be in a couple of weeks who will train IM with the rest of my trainees and some skill trades, then later in the season when a couple more good YAs promote I'll change to def and start a cycle. With 6 bots and one poorly-developed young team in my league, I really don't have to think about balancing the squad at all, I think. I expect to win the league, but not sure if I would want to promote as I will be early in a cycle training plan, but I might want to later as I'll be bored by then.

I expect to go out of the Cup R1, but being a small league that still attracts prize money.

Final thought on league swapping: I decided to do my research then choose my league to swap to and make the move early before someone else took my desired place. I wonder if it might be better to leave it closer to the end of the window when it is less likely that subsequent swaps in or out can undo your plans?

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » May 10th, 2021, 9:03 am

First week down (literally):

Div IV

From my season preview: I've got a shot at the title this season....

Not any more!
The form update on Thursday night was not kind, with my Goalie and a Powerful IMD getting drummed down.
In the game itself I was doing alright. 2-1 up after 66', and the ratings all in my favour.
Two injuries in quick succession saw my game plan collapse, and we conceded 2 goals.
Final score 2-3. Bah!

Div IV (B)

I'm the league whipping boy, and pleased I kept the scoreline down to 0-3.

There's always the Cup right?

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » May 10th, 2021, 1:10 pm

Kevster's, Div IV England
Cup win against bot.
League home to last season's runner up. This really was a first test for my new squad, with 7 players making their league debut, so it was hard to predict how it would work out. Opposition shaded possession in first half with attack/defence ratios comparable. I took the lead, then their GK got a +5 injury, which really swung the attack ratings in my favour; shortly after they equalised, then their stamina started to suffer giving me confidence I would win out. They took the lead, but soon into the second half it was 3-2. At 4-2 they had an IM sent off, so it was game over and I won 6-2. Even without the GK injury and red card, I reckon I would have won it because of their poor stamina. Good start to the season.

Fly Suckers, Div V England. Team is one season old.
Out of the Cup, but have a bot in the Craig Wozniak Cup, so hope to progress and make a little money.
League I was home to a stronger team. I had no expectations of getting anything from this. PIC. Ratings were against me in all areas, but somehow I hung on for a 0-0 draw. That was a point that wasn't on the Manager's wall chart for the plan to survive this season! Next week there is 3 points on that wall chart: away to league's whipping boys who are only 0.5 season old. Must win. It may even be straightforward on a PIC. I'll decide later.
Tomorrow I should be able to promote a player to be a solid coach/passable leadership.

Hoi An Lunt Kickers, Div IV Vietnam. Team is one season old.
I expected to lose R1 of the Cup but the team was weaker than expected and I won 4-0. Round 2 I WILL go out as I'm at home to last season's runner up in the top league in Vietnam. They also partook in the Hattrick Masters last season. There should be some nice prize money coming my way.
League I won 5-1 to a bot on PIC with my second team, saving my first team to be whipped in the Cup.

Cheers,

Kevster.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » May 15th, 2021, 10:03 pm

1st Cup game - 0-3 win against a bot, with a fairly weak XI.
1st league game - this series IV game went to form unfortunately, we lost 3-1 despite taking an early lead. They'd beaten us with their 5-4-1 both games last season, 0-2 and 1-0 so at least we managed to score this time.
2nd Cup game - another 0-3 win, this time against a human manager, nothing to write home about.
2nd league game - coming up, at home to the team dropping down from III. Looks tough, and I'm not particularly hopeful.

In fact, the league is looking tougher than expected. The bot slot we had, was taken just before the league deadline with a team transferring in, and they are pretty good, which means I am now 7th in ratings. Time to prove the ratings....wrong!

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » May 17th, 2021, 9:03 am

Div IV

From last week:
In the game itself I was doing alright. 2-1 up after 66', and the ratings all in my favour.
Two injuries in quick succession saw my game plan collapse, and we conceded 2 goals.
Final score 2-3. Bah!

Similar story this week: 2-1 up after 78', and then they get two SE in the last 10 minutes, and we lose 3-2. Fair play to my opponent who chose Play Creatively which worked a treat.

So after two games I'm in 7th place with 0 points, having thought I'd have a shot at the title before the season began. Bah!

Div IV (B)

I'm the league whipping boy.

I won one!
4-2 final score.

I wish I could boast it was down to my tactical genius, but alas no.
I went 253 Counter Attack, which was decided after a few glasses of a very nice Malbec.
So despite choosing the wrong formation to go with CA, I then marginally win the midfield battle to lose any benefit from the tactic.

Still not sure how I won the game, but I'll take it.

So one league where I'm supposed to win I'm failing badly, and the other league where I'm supposed to lose I win despite my best efforts to sabotage any chance I have.
It's going to be a weird season...

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » May 17th, 2021, 1:23 pm

thats a bit of bad luck in your main league, Donut, losing twice in similar circumstances. Here's to getting some balance back!

Having worried about my oppo the other day (as they were coming down from III) I noticed that they had just sold a main forward and a defender - and not replaced them. That left them with 1 forward and a weakened defence, although midfield was still pretty good. So long as we had more chances than them....
We won 4-0, edged them on hatstats and also pushed our best chances down one wing, which worked a treat. Hope that's a good sign.
The next cup game is against a peer, so the easy games have run out already.
The next league game is home to the team that had transferred in, who are the current league leaders. Bring it on...

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » May 18th, 2021, 2:06 am

England Div IV
Cup 1-6 win.
League I was away to a reasonable-strength team but they are aging (passable stamina), thin on squad size and had two of their three total forwards injured in the Cup four days before. They usually play 2-5-3 or 3-4-3, but I couldn't see them doing that, but they had no recent experience of other formations, so sure enough they played 3-4-3 CA. I took the lead twice, but in the 57th-or-so minute they took the lead 3-2. That triggered my substitution to move from 3-5-2 to 2-5-3, but there were no more goals. Seemed unfair. I even got messaged by the other manager yesterday admitting he shouldn't have won and apologised for the "ME fart".
This week in the Cup I'm away to another CA team. I hate playing against CA.

England Div V
In the league it was the away must-win game against the team that should finish 8th. I certainly dominated but 0-1 was hardly the score I imagined, but the points were what were most important. Now on 4 points in second. This will be the highest league position I will have this season, or maybe for the next two seaons.

Vietnam Div IV
Kicked out of the Cup by the Vietnam top league runners up. More than £100K prize money for going out in the second round, though.
League - away win against a bot. Next week away to the only other active team in the league.

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » May 24th, 2021, 9:40 am

Div IV

So after two games I'm in 7th place with 0 points, having thought I'd have a shot at the title before the season began. Bah!

I've kind of given up on the league, so played the 2nd team this week keeping the main guys for the Cup match.
It was a tight game at home, hatstats 359 v 349. We won 1-0.
Relieved to get a win, but eyes firmly on the Cup.

Div IV (B)

We got a weird win last week with a 253 Counter Attack.
Well if it works once, maybe it could happen again?

So went weird again - 523 Extreme CA with no midfielders, PIC, Away from Home.

Hatstats were 203 v 272, so somewhat out-classed, and only getting World Class (13) in my CA skill. My opponent chose to Play Creatively, which in hindsight was just a terrible decision given only 6 of his players had a specialty, and all 11 of mine did.

My defense was like a leaky cauldron, and opponents chance to score were 28%/ 49%/ 27%. They got 10 chances and converted just 2 - they should have scored 4 or 5.

Despite having only 3% of possession, and a poor CA rating, I was gifted 6 chances - when maybe 2 chances would have been fair.
My scoring probability was 40%/ 7%/ 37% - so converting 2 of those 6 chances would have been fair.

And if I had I only got the 2 chances I deserved, I don't think that I would have scored at all.
So a fair result would have been a 5-0 loss, and that would have been fine.

Except....my opponent chose to Play Creatively.
And I had more specialties.
And the only area of the field where I had better stats was in Indirect Set Pieces getting 9.5 & 9.0 in Attack and Defense respectively, vs opponent 6.25 & 5.5.

Of my 6 chances, 2 went to Direct & Indirect Free kicks, and 3 went to Special Events - and all 5 of these converted into goals.
My 1 CA chance failed to convert.

Final score 5-2, and up to 3rd in the league.

All of a sudden there is a ray of hope that I could avoid auto-relegation. And we all know that it's hope that kill you.

More weirdness next week - 550 Long Shot.

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » May 24th, 2021, 8:21 pm

Hope can indeed kill, but you can have fun with despair too! Ask the UK's Eurovision singer...

The midweek cup game was one I should, with hindsight, have walked away from. Maybe run, even.
My good goalie was crocked with a +2, our top defender picked up a +2, and our No.2 Midfielder got a red card (and then dropped a level in PM to add to the insult). As well as losing 3-0 in the process, we were left in pretty poor shape for this weeks important league match, at home to league leaders.

Maybe I should have run away from that, too. I thought I could still make a game of it, but needed a goalie of magnificent rating minimum, if only for a game, so £200k later I had one on board. It didnt help, we lost 1-5 at home. The oppo had been shadowing my activities, and whenever I made a team change in the days/hours leading up to the game, he/she would follow suit.

So, down in 6th, W1 L2, not disheartened but would like my players back please! Cup game is Conspirator Cup, winnable. Next league game is away to an undefeated team in 2nd place. Really need to sell at some point to raise cash for some overhauling...

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » May 25th, 2021, 1:01 am

England Div IV
Cup 0-3 win on PIC against a CA team.
League I was home to one of the weakest teams in the league and this week's Cup game is more challenging, so I pretty much swapped my 'first' league team with my 'second' Cup team (there's not such a big difference as there has been in the past) and PICed, with some subs set if needed to bolster the attack. I prevailed 3-1 eventually.
I hope to edge the away Cup game on PIN and still go into the league game next week on 8 TS.

England Div V
No chance in the league this week, so switched first and second teams to aim to remain in the Craig Wozniak Cup against a neglected team who only put out 8 outfield players. I won the CW Cup game 2-4, and got pummelled 6-0 in the league. This week's League game is home to the team I hope force into 7th by the end of the season. I should edge it. And the stadium expansion will be ready in time.
I'll be home in the CW Cup tomorrow and should win. Bonus income for a newbieish team like this.

Vietnam Div IV
A nice 6-1 win in the secondary Cup. This week's 2ary Cup game I will not be favourites.
In the league I was away to the only other active team in the league. I won 0-2, which didn't reflect our dominance. Dare I say the league is wrapped up after 3 weeks? Again, the stadium expansion will be ready in time for next week's home game.
My first ever YA promotee reached 7 PM with 2 weeks training and sold for about £75K, about twice what I expected. Hopefully he gets trained and progresses: my first 'seed' in the market. I have another promotee who is now starting a cycle with me, albeit getting about 12 extra weeks' PM training before others are promoted and we switch to Def.

Cheers,

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » May 31st, 2021, 6:15 pm

After last weeks thumping from the league leaders, we were away to the team in second, who hadn't been really tested yet (not that we were the ones to do it!).
Our crocked goalie and defender were both on plasters now, so were brought back into the game, as was the red carded midfielder, which pretty much gave me my 1st XI back. A bit of digging also confirmed that two of the oppo's first XI were out injured, so rather than be defensive, we decided to just play Normal, see where it took us.
As hoped, we edged the midfield thanks to their injuries. Despite that, late in the first half they scored but we equalised. A few minutes after they made a goalie switch in the second half, our Utopian striker notched a goal, and we came out 1-2 winners.
We are now in 4th, W2 L2, and next we will be at home to the team now in 2nd, they are undefeated and tough to score against.
In the meantime there is a cup game in the Conspirator Cup, at home, fairly even teams.

I did have a quandry to resolve. Cash in the bank is £100k, and I have a midfield that needs replacing. While our Utopian striker is our leagues top scorer at the moment (3 in 4 games, nothing to shout about), he is getting on, 32y/60d. I can't afford to let £2m or so dwindle to zero, so he has been put on the market. His replacement isn't quite ready (21 yo supernatural) but he will have to step up to the plate, joining the magical and the titanic in the front line, who will hopefully pop soon anyway to close that gap on what we had. Some new trainees are already acquired, and will kick in next week after this weeks Cup game and assuming our big man is sold. Its the start of a replacement cycle that could end in....well we'll just have to wait and see!

e

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 1st, 2021, 12:33 am

England Div IV
Out of the Cup, losing 2-1. Seemed a bit harsh.
League I just managed to win 2-3 on PIC. One winger was injured early, bringing on as sub my previous trainee who was timed to sell 10 mins before kick-off, so he would still be available as a sub in just this situation. My other winger got a red card in the second half, meaning I would be short of players available for the Conspirator Memorial Cup game, but the injured player went to bruised on the first update and I quickly recruited a new winger trainee. I'm second, home to top team next week.

England Div V
Still winning in the Craig Wozniak Cup.
League I was home to the team I need to finish above to avoid auto-relegation. Prediction looked good, so I PICed and still won 4-0, 7 points after 4 games is above my expectations. I'm away next week to a team that is a season older than me, but is my little challenge to catch. As I'm thinking that the four games following that are guaranteed losses, I'm actually contemplating playing MOTS, which I can't remember doing mid-season like...ever. 4 PICs should be enough to recover TS before I play them again, right?

Vietnam Div IV
Thoroughly dumped out of the secondary Cup.
In the league I won 5-0 at home to another bot.
Another YA player was promoted, who I had thought I would sell because he took a couple of weeks longer to maximise skills than I had hoped, but I've decided to keep him. He's 17.35, Unpredictable, Def 5, PM 4.5, Ps 4, W 4, Sc 6 and the Brucie-bonus on promotion was finding set pieces 7! He'll be starting a cycle with a few weeks of PM before the main cycle starts with def at the end of the season. That's 2 HG YAs now, with 2 joining later.

Cheers,

Kevster

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » June 7th, 2021, 3:25 pm

The cup game went as hoped, with a 3-0 win, although one downside was a +6 to a 38yo defender, who will be around 39y/35d when he heals. I did think of sacking him but the wage cost is less than what he might fetch when he fixes, but to all intents and purposes his career is over.
The next Conspirator Cup game is much harder but still winnable.

The league game was a dreadful reflection of this seasons one step forwards two steps back theme. Having won away from home the previous week, this week we were at home to a team we beat twice, 3-0 both times last season. We were going to win midfield so went 3-4-3 as only had 3 fit defenders.
The big mistake was that I had been tampering with formations before the game, doing 'what ifs', and had inadvertently saved one of the 'what if' team orders.

We went ahead 1-0, they equalised and then took a 1-2 lead, which was a surprise. I wouldn't have worried, thinking an equaliser and maybe a winner as well weren't too far away, as we were edging MF 59%/41%. Except our team orders then swapped out a striker for a winger and we went to a 3-5-2 (we dont play 3-5-2!) so after a lot of formation confusion they went on to score two more to win 1-4.

So we are in 6th, 3pts off the drop. The next game is away to 8th, followed by back to backs against 7th, then back to 8th, so the next 4 games are probably my decider for the season! I wouldn't want to lose any of them....

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 7th, 2021, 3:35 pm

Bit of a catch up this week, having been offline for half term.

Div IV

Start of season: League contention

So before half term, played 3, won 1. And I gave up on the title aspirations. That said, I should still be winning games.
My squad has a TSI of 1.5m, second best in the league.

So now it's played 5, won 1. Both close games, but I now sit in 7th.
Also got knocked out of the Cup....

Div IV (B)

So prior to half term I set unusual teams, and I managed to win 2 of the 3 games by sheer luck.

I've continued to ride my luck. The first week I went 550 Long Shot and won 2-0, and repeated that this week and got a 0-0 draw.

Currently in 2nd place, 2 points behind the leader.

Bear in mind my squad TSI for this second team is just 0.5m (compared to 1.5m in my first team).

So both teams have the same inept manager, both competing in Div IV, but the weaker team is up for the title, and the stronger team is trying to avoid relegation.

Funny old game, eh?

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 10th, 2021, 11:18 am

England Div IV
I was home to the top team and it was a 1-1 draw. I'm in third now, which I should be content with. In fact, I don't really want to win the league as I don't want to be distracted from my plans of dismantling and beginning a rebuild in a season's time. Having said that, only one of my YA squad now looks good for the cycle training, when there were one or two more contenders a few weeks ago.

England Div V
Away to the team that is a season older than me, but is my little challenge to catch. As the four games following are guaranteed losses, I played MOTS, which just about paid off as I won 3-4, though it might have taken their red card on a CD to swing it for me. I'm in third, but will not expect to get any more points until I play this team again in 5 weeks' time.

Vietnam Div IV
1-4 away win against a bot. Next week...home to a bot. In autopromotion position.

Cheers,

Kevster

Donut102
2 Lemon pips

Postby Donut102 » June 14th, 2021, 1:46 pm

So both teams have the same inept manager, both competing in Div IV, but the weaker team is up for the title, and the stronger team is trying to avoid relegation.

No need to panic - normal service resumed this week.

Div IV

Start of season: League contention

In 7th place, playing 8th away from home. Won 0-1.

Now up to 6th, and the fightback begins....

Div IV (B)

In 2nd place, playing 6th at home. Lost 6-1 which was a fair result.

Looking to hold onto my gains from the first few weeks and avoid auto-relegation.

Cheers
Donut

Eastheath
Lemon Slice

Postby Eastheath » June 16th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Was away to the team in 8th, and on paper they were pulling 40 hatstat points more than ourselves, had better attack/defence ratio than we had, and last season they won and drew against us. The edge we had was in midfield, and it worked.
1-1 at half time, with a goal from our top striker, and just before I was due to bring on substitutes/reinforcements at 65 mins if we were not in the lead, our other two strikers saw the writing on the wall and both popped a goal in, so the subs werent needed and we won 1-3.

That win puts us 3rd, but only 3 pts ahead of 7th, so its a tight league! We have a runaway leader so thats already decided I think.

The back to backs are against the team in 7th, we are at home first. They've been improving and are a better team now than at the start of the season, so its no slam dunk. Back to the martinis and olives in the back garden......

ChiliMonster
2 Lemon pips

Postby ChiliMonster » June 22nd, 2021, 11:39 pm

I think I missed a week, so here's two...

England Div IV
Week 6: Away loss 1-2 to the team that was 6th or 7th at the time.
Week 7: Home win 7-1 to the team in 5th. I'm third again after this.
I just bought a future excellent coach. I've been studying the market and the current average rate seems to be purchase price + average conversion cost based on experience = £2.4 to 2.7 million for solid leadership, £1.9-2 million for passable leadership and ~£1.6million for inad leadership. This is a bit lower than it was a couple of months ago. There are enough FCs on the market that there is no need to pay more than this, though some people do for some reason.

England Div V
Two losses as expected following my previous MOTS. Currently 5th in league.

Vietnam Div IV
Two more wins against bots. The only other 'active' team in my league has a new owner so is reset.

Cheers,

Kevster

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”