Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

The Hundred - Difficult to Watch

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

The Hundred - Difficult to Watch

Postby SalvorHardin » July 21st, 2021, 8:38 pm

I thought I'd watch the first match in "The Hundred", the new limited overs competition that the ECB has created to bring cricket back to terrestrial TV.

I'm not one of those who wants cricket to be as it was in the 20th century. IMHO T20 has revolutionised the game for the good.

The ECB deciding to use 100 ball innings, rather than 120, was in large part was to shorten the match time for TV. I'm okay with that, though they could have stuck with T20 and been much stricter on slow play.

The game is good. The problem with The Hundred is the TV coverage. The on-screen graphics are awful. Truly awful. Ridiculously bright colours dominate the edges of the TV screen making it look like a 4:3 aspect ratio picture. The colours are so bright I feel like I need sunglasses.

The runs needed and balls left are shown on different sides of the screen and are so close to the edge that it cuts off part of the numbers.

Yesterday we had a brilliant T20 international, England v Pakistan. I can't wait for the return of the IPL.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Re: The Hundred - Difficult to Watch

Postby BigB » July 22nd, 2021, 10:22 am

SalvorHardin wrote:
The ECB deciding to use 100 ball innings, rather than 120, was in large part was to shorten the match time for TV. I'm okay with that, though they could have stuck with T20 and been much stricter on slow play.

I turned on briefly and was expecting a 2.5 hour timeslot - did I imagine that that was part of the brief i.e. identifiably shorter than T20? Or did they just give it a longer slot to introduce the new concept and jazz it up a bit?

10 x 10 ball overs?

Tbh, I think cricket has done a pretty good job of reviewing/changing itself since the 90s, certainly when you compare it to something like golf. Cricket at least tries to capture new audiences, I don't see anyone interested/introduced in golf other than those who play it and maybe their children.

BigB

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 22nd, 2021, 11:14 am

BigB wrote:I turned on briefly and was expecting a 2.5 hour timeslot - did I imagine that that was part of the brief i.e. identifiably shorter than T20? Or did they just give it a longer slot to introduce the new concept and jazz it up a bit?

10 x 10 ball overs?

Tbh, I think cricket has done a pretty good job of reviewing/changing itself since the 90s, certainly when you compare it to something like golf. Cricket at least tries to capture new audiences, I don't see anyone interested/introduced in golf other than those who play it and maybe their children

Yes. When The Hundred was initially announced to the counties the ECB said that they wanted games to finish within 2.5 hours. Some matches were to be shown on the BBC and the BBC wanted games to finish by 9pm, which you weren't going to get from T20 unless you were quite strict about over rates and time wasting.

Unfortunately T20 games over the years have developed the habit of running longer and longer, with some Indian Premier League (IPL) games taking more than 4 hours. A good start would be to stop captains from spending at least 30 seconds between every ball making minor adjustments to the field, as well as stopping batsmen from changing gloves and having a drink between every over (this happens a lot in the IPL).

There was also some feedback from focus groups that parents with children also wanted matches to finish by 9pm. So the ECB gave them what they wanted.

County cricket's T20 Blast has done a pretty good job at getting new audiences into the grounds, particularly the smaller counties. But the T20 Blast has been hobbled by the ECB's contract with Sky which prohibits any terrestrial coverage of the Blast, and the ECB in recent years hasn't been all that bothered about promoting it.

T20 Blast is a huge money spinner for County Cricket. Take it away and several counties will go bust. Rumour has it that The Hundred was launched because the ECB's contract with Sky to cover the T20 Blast prohibits the ECB from launching another T20 tournament. So rather than promote the T20 Blast and renegotiate with Sky for some coverage on the BBC instead they went for T16.4 with terrible TV graphics.

The ECB has an excellent track record of screwing up when it comes to T20. Having invented the format (okay, it's evening league cricket with a couple of changes), they then got bored with it. Once the IPL took off, the ECB threw a temper tantrum by banning English players from taking part in the IPL. Then they teamed up with an American fraudster with the Stanford Super Series.

There is a ten over "T10" League, played in Abu Dhabi. It is shown on some of the satellite TV channels. Hardly any batsman bothers to play themselves in!

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » July 23rd, 2021, 8:13 am

SalvorHardin wrote:There is a ten over "T10" League, played in Abu Dhabi. It is shown on some of the satellite TV channels. Hardly any batsman bothers to play themselves in!

the not playing themselves in is somewhat understandable giiven the extreme shortness of each innings. I have watched some T10, albeit of the european league whose standard appears to be about village cricket level - that's not a criticism in itself, but may be an explanation why every (attempted) shot appears to be a slog towards wide mid on.

didds

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » July 23rd, 2021, 8:30 am

didds wrote:the not playing themselves in is somewhat understandable giiven the extreme shortness of each innings. I have watched some T10, albeit of the european league whose standard appears to be about village cricket level - that's not a criticism in itself, but may be an explanation why every (attempted) shot appears to be a slog towards wide mid on.

The Abu Dhabi T10 league is a much higher standard. Not up to the IPL, The Big Bash or the T20 Blast, but pretty good.

e.g. Amongst the Abu Dhabi squad for this year's tournament: Chris Gayle, Chris Morris, Alex Hales and Luke Wright. For other teams: Kieron Pollard, Andre Russell, Chris Jordan, Sunil Narine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_T10_League#Squads

I started watching The Hundred last night. Unfortunately I found the the graphics to be far too distracting and some are difficult to read (I guess that I'm not in their target audience). So I switched to Midsomer Murders, followed by Clarkson's Farm!

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » July 23rd, 2021, 8:43 am

i quite enjoyed it .

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » July 25th, 2021, 8:39 am

I watched a bit of it and was not tempted to watch more.
The impression I got from the commentary team and the whole event was that T20 was far too cerebral for general consumption and here was the product more likely to entertain the masses.

I like T20 and think it has been great for the invention, improvisation and superb fielding it has brought to the game. What does this offer in addition?

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » July 26th, 2021, 12:00 pm

jackdaww wrote:i quite enjoyed it .

Me too, which surprised me. I also quite enjoyed Vaughan and Tuffers and the rest of the presentation team, though I appreciate those two may be past their sell by date. Watching on catch up helps, as you can fast forward when the cricket pauses. Can't beat test cricket, though. I think I was just grateful to be able to watch cricket on broadcast TV, as I don't have Sky.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » July 29th, 2021, 11:57 am

I fell out of love with 1st class cricket lost Colin Milburn stopped being himself but was happy to watch 40 overs on a Sunday.

Quite happy with the 40 overs cricket during the summer with 5 day County and Test matches on the other 6 days.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 16th, 2021, 10:27 pm

Having seen a couple more games I'm starting to appreciate the fun of it. I think it's more the BBC presentation that is irritating. It certainly seems to be attracting the crowds, which can't be bad except perhaps for the county game which is seeming more and more an anachronism.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 16th, 2021, 11:51 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:The runs needed and balls left are shown on different sides of the screen and are so close to the edge that it cuts off part of the numbers.

That's not the fault of the broadcaster, that's something to do with the way your TV is setup - you may have options to switch between "Cinema" etc settings? There should be a gap between the score graphic and the edge of the screen, roughly the width of a wicket in the normal "bowler's arm" view-from-the-top-of-the-sightscreen?

Thought this was a good article on how it's come at the right time for women's cricket - there's now enough women's cricket around the world for there to be players worth watching, and the pandemic-enforced double-headers with the men has given them the credibility of having the likes of KP commentate on them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/58149676

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » August 17th, 2021, 10:51 am

Leothebear wrote:Having seen a couple more games I'm starting to appreciate the fun of it. I think it's more the BBC presentation that is irritating. It certainly seems to be attracting the crowds, which can't be bad except perhaps for the county game which is seeming more and more an anachronism.

The graphics are the same on both BBC and Sky. I often view using SkyGo on my computer, where the edges are not truncated, as on TV. I haven't found an adjustment to suit.

They do take a lot of getting used to. I prefer the conventional displays.

TJH

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 26th, 2021, 10:00 pm

Here at the County Ground in Taunton, Somerset have just beaten Lancashire in the T20 Blast quarter final. Chasing 184 we won with 11 balls to spare.

Full ground, there's no need to give away tickets here in Ciderabad to make the crowd larger. Make a note ECB, you can stick your Welsh Fire where the sun don't shine.

When watching replays on your phone, it was nice to see the complete absence of crappy graphics that are designer to draw your attention away from.the action (and fill up lots of the screen).

Off for another pint. It's pointless to try and get a taxi for at least an hour. Somerset, la la la

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 22nd, 2022, 5:14 pm

Move over The Hundred. There's a new kid in town and it's going to grab the attention of those for whom 100 balls takes too long.

The West Indies cricket board have just announced that a 60-ball tournament, called THE 6IXTY, will be played from August 24th to 28th this year before the Caribbean Premier League starts on August 30th. So it will clash with The Hundred :D

Rules changes include: only six wickets, a fielder is sent off if the bowling side's over rate drops below a certain level and fans get to vote on when free hits are to be taken.

https://www.thecricketer.com/Topics/globalgame/the_6ixty_sixty_new_60-ball_tournament_launched_caribbean.html

https://wisden.com/stories/global-t20-leagues/6ixty/fan-voting-for-mystery-free-hits-and-six-wickets-a-side-cricket-west-indies-announce-the-6ixty

No word yet as to whether they're going to have headache inducing TV graphics, if the commentators are required to say that it's the greatest cricket tournament ever, or if Sky Sports Cricket will cover it to the near exclusion of other tournaments as they've done with the T20 Blast this season (Sky have shown very few live T20 Blast games, preferring instead to show repeats when games are being played).

As far as I can tell this is not a spoof, which was my first reaction given that I can't find anything about it on the West Indies Cricket Board's website. Then again when The Hundred was announced I had to check that it wasn't April 1st.

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Postby Maroochydore » June 22nd, 2022, 7:07 pm

Invent a new game, just don't call it cricket...it isn't.

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Postby tjh290633 » June 23rd, 2022, 3:47 pm

When we used to play 20-over cricket, everybody bar the keeper had to bowl two overs. I have a feeling that you could be half out if caught on the bounce. Only one pad worn when batting, of course. Different rules applied on the beach, especially with an incoming tide.

TJH

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 23rd, 2022, 6:06 pm

the sixty already exists, albeit without the above mentioned gimmicks (crowd voting and 6 wickets etc).

its called T10 and has been around a for a few years in tier2 / 3 cricket competitions.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”