Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Vaccuum Cleaner Racing

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
PhaseThree

Vaccuum Cleaner Racing

Postby PhaseThree » June 26th, 2022, 5:25 pm

Today at the Goodwood Festival of Speed hill climb event the worlds fastest vacuum cleaner annihilated the course record.

https://twitter.com/fosgoodwood/status/ ... gr%5Etweet

Not a new idea but unique to my knowledge in the electric vehicle world, banned in F1 since the late 1970's

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Re: Vaccuum Cleaner Racing

Postby scottnsilky » June 26th, 2022, 7:51 pm

I watched a couple of runs up the hill, but missed the technical details of the vehicle, is it based on the opposite of the hovercraft? There was a very accomplished American racing car manufacturer, surname of Hall, can't remember first name, he raced a similar car, fans sucking air from underneath the vehicle. Maybe it worked too well, so it could have been banned too. Probably the 70s I think.
Just remembered the car name, Chapparal, some kind of Texan vegetation? Possibly Jim Hall? Certainly not Wes Hall.

PhaseThree

Re: Vaccuum Cleaner Racing

Postby PhaseThree » June 26th, 2022, 8:08 pm

The Formula1 car was the Brabham BT46.... full story here....
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bann ... n/4808234/

As you say It's a hovercraft running in reverse, downforce created by sucking the car down, 2000Kg in the case of McMurtry machine.

Look closely at the video and you can see the huge amount of carp being sucked up and thrown out of the back of the car. Apparently one of the big complaints in F1 was that the following cars were getting hit by stones and gravel being thrown up by the Brabhams. Looks like they may have had a point.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”