Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

England v Poland

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

England v Poland

Postby Leothebear » September 9th, 2021, 10:59 am

No one can say GS hasn't been given enough time.
To his credit he has gathered a decent squad together but is he getting the best out of them?

I thought England look poor against Andorra and they were no better here.

The tactics displayed in this game have to be down to him. They were awful.
Few real chances created because when a cross did come there was nobody in the box. Is pace a concept alien to GS?

As usual much tippy tappy and back passing.

Why no subs brought on? No plan B?

We have some flair players but they're wasted in his oh-so-dull approach.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: England v Poland

Postby pje16 » September 9th, 2021, 11:04 am

Agreed
what a feeble excuse for not using subs
We didn't want any time added on at the end
errmmm the same time would have no play while they were taking place :roll:

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 9th, 2021, 11:06 am

I agree with what you say about the back passing. England seemed to have only one tactic, go down the left wing and then run out of space!

Pickford was very lucky to get away with it last night (those who watched the match will most likely know what I mean :oops: ) - it was a 'Calamity James' moment. Pickford also needs to stop booting the ball upfield and giving possession to the opponents. Very disappointing to concede in the last minutes.

It's a good job there was some poor teams in our group!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 9th, 2021, 11:18 am

Whilst I generally agree that Southgate is too conservative, I think some of the players need to look at themselves too. In particular, the captain who given he won the award for number of PL assists last season now seems to think he's Kevin De Bruyne rather than a centre forward who should be in the box between the posts and getting tap ins. If England had Lewandowski last night they would likely have scored 2 or 3 at least - there's a player that knows how to score from close range!

Too often last night when the wide players did get the ball in space they looked up and there was no-one in the penalty area to cross to, so they then had to double back which gave the Polish defence time to get in position and close down the space. Although Kane ultimately scored from 30 yards he should be scoring more from 3 yards IMHO.

On the plus side, I thought Rice and Phillips were outstanding again last night. I can't see either being at their current club this time next year. Any top team that wanted a ready made defensive midfield and had £150m spare could do worse than get both of them. I can't believe Man United are not looking at that situation as that is all they are lacking now.

All the best, Si

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 9th, 2021, 11:39 am

simoan wrote:Too often last night when the wide players did get the ball in space they looked up and there was no-one in the penalty area to cross to, so they then had to double back which gave the Polish defence time to get in position and close down the space. Although Kane ultimately scored from 30 yards he should be scoring more from 3 yards IMHO.

While I agree to some extent, how many crosses made it into that area, not many
As mentioned above, we attack down the left pretty much all the time, defenders wise up to that and block it
cheers
Paul

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 9th, 2021, 12:21 pm

pje16 wrote:
simoan wrote:Too often last night when the wide players did get the ball in space they looked up and there was no-one in the penalty area to cross to, so they then had to double back which gave the Polish defence time to get in position and close down the space. Although Kane ultimately scored from 30 yards he should be scoring more from 3 yards IMHO.

As mentioned above, we attack down the left pretty much all the time, defenders wise up to that and block it
cheers
Paul

But there's no point crossing the ball if there's no-one to cross too! You should go and watch the game again. Even Ian Wright commented on it last night. Only once did Kane get into the box ahead of his marker when Sterling had the ball on the right and he didn't cross it because for almost the entire game Kane was outside the box, so he'd probably given up even looking by that point!

I don't know why England kept attacking down the left but wouldn't surprise me if it was because Kyle Walker is monumentally awful at crossing. Neither Polish full back looked great. I accept that's it's good for attacking players to switch position every now and again, but last night too many of Mount, Sterling, Grealish and Kane ended up in the same area of the pitch within a few yards of each other. If you lack positional discipline and don't stretch the defence you make it easy for them. Guardiola would've been "doing his nut" if he was England manager.

All the best, Si

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 9th, 2021, 12:37 pm

ok Si your points are noted
Watch it again?
No thanks I want to enjoy my evening :lol:
well in fact I'm off to see an old mate down the pub :D

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 9th, 2021, 12:44 pm

pje16 wrote:ok Si your points are noted
Watch it again?
No thanks I want to enjoy my evening :lol:

It's just my opinion but I thought it was a decent game to watch for an England qualifier. I'd just add that if Kane doesn't get in the box then England don't really have an attacking midfield option to make runs to cover for him e.g. Lampard, Gerrard, Dele Alli (in his prime). Sterling can do it but didn't last night for some reason.

All the best, Si

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 9th, 2021, 2:27 pm

It's just my opinion but I thought it was a decent game to watch for an England qualifier.

Sorry cannot agree. England have rarely been good to watch under GS IMO. Far too much negativity.

I think GS has done well to build the squad but I think he has plateaued out. It needs a more attack minded coach to take them that extra mile.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » September 9th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Leothebear wrote:
It's just my opinion but I thought it was a decent game to watch for an England qualifier.

Sorry cannot agree. England have rarely been good to watch under GS IMO. Far too much negativity.

I think GS has done well to build the squad but I think he has plateaued out. It needs a more attack minded coach to take them that extra mile.

So who was the last manager when you thought England were good to watch? Terry Venables? I stopped watching England matches for many years until recently because the current team at least is young, has some team spirit about it that previous teams completely lacked, and has the technical ability to keep the ball. It also seems free from massive ego's. Most previous England teams could not keep the ball whenever they played a half decent team and you just have to go through some of the awful players that got England caps in that period to understand why. I'm sure we can all name dozens of players that were not fit to wear the shirt.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 9th, 2021, 2:51 pm

TV was a fantastic coach and what's more, man manager as well

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 9th, 2021, 3:30 pm

So who was the last manager when you thought England were good to watch? Terry Venables? I stopped watching England matches for many years until recently because the current team at least is young, has some team spirit about it that previous teams completely lacked, and has the technical ability to keep the ball. It also seems free from massive ego's. Most previous England teams could not keep the ball whenever they played a half decent team and you just have to go through some of the awful players that got England caps in that period to understand why. I'm sure we can all name dozens of players that were not fit to wear the shirt.

Don't disagree with any of that. I gave up watching them as well.

Sure these days England keep possession far better but it's a bit like time wasting. There's no pace to speak of, resulting in England passing back and forth against packed defences hoping Sterling or someone will show a bit of magic and score or get a penalty. Last night how many crosses were there? It's frustrating because with some good tuning the team could be really competitive. GS doesn't seem to have that ability.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 9th, 2021, 3:43 pm

simoan wrote:
pje16 wrote:

cheers
Paul

But there's no point crossing the ball if there's no-one to cross too! You should go and watch the game again. Even Ian Wright commented on it last night. Only once did Kane get into the box ahead of his marker when Sterling had the ball on the right and he didn't cross it because for almost the entire game Kane was outside the box, so he'd probably given up even looking by that point!

I don't know why England kept attacking down the left but wouldn't surprise me if it was because Kyle Walker is monumentally awful at crossing. Neither Polish full back looked great. I accept that's it's good for attacking players to switch position every now and again, but last night too many of Mount, Sterling, Grealish and Kane ended up in the same area of the pitch within a few yards of each other. If you lack positional discipline and don't stretch the defence you make it easy for them. Guardiola would've been "doing his nut" if he was England manager.

All the best, Si

Yep, - pretty much the same thoughts. Grealish and Mount playing footsie up the left wing, (and eventually losing possession), but rarely, if ever, crossing the ball in; and when I looked, there was no one in the box to cross it in to. Similarly when Sterling had the ball on the right wing, rarely any (or a sufficient number of) players in the box to cross it to.

England should have pressed home their advantage when they had the opportunity instead of playing possession almost for the sake of it. The number of shots on goal statistics versus the percentage of possession that England had prove the point.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » September 9th, 2021, 3:51 pm

re the above post
England 2 shots on goals - Poland 4
Possession Eng 61% vs Pol 39%
says it all :roll:

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » September 10th, 2021, 3:45 pm

As an aside, I'd like to say it's nice to have a little activity on this board for a change.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » September 10th, 2021, 3:52 pm

simoan wrote:

I thought the same thing - not a bad game overall, and entertaining enough.

One thing I think we need to adapt to, where we've got players in the side like Sterling and Grealish who naturally attract a number of opposition players, is to take much more advantage of the space other England players should be having in those circumstances, and that was the most disappointing aspect for me personally, as well as the point that others have made regarding Kane dropping far too deep.

I won't blame Kane for that though - it's clearly been agreed as part of the game plan with Southgate, so if we're looking for people to blame for that situation then the manager should take the rap, I think...

One other disappointing aspect was that we didn't seem to swap wings often enough when players on the opposite side to the ball had got themselves in good positions out wide. I won't go so far as to say there was a lot of showboating going on, but there were plenty of opportunities to make better use of the width of the pitch that were not taken, and we need to stretch teams where they're happy to be sitting deeper and allowing England to have possession of the ball..

With all the above said, I still think we've got the best young squad that I've seen for a long, long time though, with some genuine talent in depth, and I'm really excited to see how far this bunch of lads can go...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » September 10th, 2021, 4:07 pm

Leothebear wrote:As an aside, I'd like to say it's nice to have a little activity on this board for a change.

And no own goals either. ;) :)

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » September 10th, 2021, 4:14 pm

richfool wrote:
Leothebear wrote:As an aside, I'd like to say it's nice to have a little activity on this board for a change.

And no own goals either. ;) :)

It was close, Mr Pickford!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » September 10th, 2021, 5:33 pm

I think we should put Emma Raducanu in midfield. Right now, she can do no wrong :D

--kiloran

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”