Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

NUFC takeover

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Re: NUFC takeover

Postby SteMiS » October 31st, 2021, 5:11 pm

Leothebear wrote:
SteMiS wrote:
Leothebear wrote:That banner:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tle-banner

Apparently Brighton fans have been in touch with Palace fans to request they borrow the banner.

Are they wanting it to protest outside Brighton based, EDO MBM Technology, who supplied bombs to the Saudis for use in their campaign in Yemen?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1776597 ... cks-yemen/

Blimey! Well done for digging that one out!
It doesn't alter the fact that every point made on that banner was true.

But what it illustrates is that the influence of the Saudi 'regime' runs through many aspects of UK business, even right there in places apparently 'so uncomfortable' at it's involvement. Despite widespread investment in business, property and as a major arms purchaser, apparently it's only Newcastle fans who have to pay the price for the nations conscience. And that's without even starting on the involvment of other less than sparkling clean actors in the sport.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » November 1st, 2021, 8:48 am

SteMiS wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
SteMiS wrote:Are they wanting it to protest outside Brighton based, EDO MBM Technology, who supplied bombs to the Saudis for use in their campaign in Yemen?

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1776597 ... cks-yemen/

Blimey! Well done for digging that one out!
It doesn't alter the fact that every point made on that banner was true.

But what it illustrates is that the influence of the Saudi 'regime' runs through many aspects of UK business, even right there in places apparently 'so uncomfortable' at it's involvement. Despite widespread investment in business, property and as a major arms purchaser, apparently it's only Newcastle fans who have to pay the price for the nations conscience. And that's without even starting on the involvment of other less than sparkling clean actors in the sport.

Yes indeed - think boxing, golf and horse racing that immediately spring to mind.

T7

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 1st, 2021, 11:56 am

My problem is football's governing bodies at all levels barely attempt to conceal the sordid way they conduct their business, not with NUFC fans.

Most of the "sugar daddy" owners wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny if it was applied to them. As long as they have plenty of dosh they pass the test.

For similar reasons it's why the next WC is in Qatar.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 1st, 2021, 12:00 pm

Leothebear wrote:My problem is football's governing bodies at all levels barely attempt to conceal the sordid way they conduct their business, not with NUFC fans.

Most of the "sugar daddy" owners wouldn't stand up to much scrutiny if it was applied to them. As long as they have plenty of dosh they pass the test.

Perhaps because at the end of the day people care deeply about football and seeing their team do well, but only care tangentially about politics. Football is real; politics is just theoretical.

I don't support NUFC but if I did then I would be thrilled about this, and could get over any suggestion that it was blood money.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 1st, 2021, 2:04 pm

Lootman wrote:
Leothebear wrote:My problem is football's governing bodies at all levels barely attempt to conceal the sordid way they conduct their business, not with NUFC fans.

Perhaps because at the end of the day people care deeply about football and seeing their team do well, but only care tangentially about politics. Football is real; politics is just theoretical.

I don't support NUFC but if I did then I would be thrilled about this, and could get over any suggestion that it was blood money.

I'm sure you're right. I'm also sure it's a factor that the governing bodies depend on.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » November 2nd, 2021, 9:06 am

The Owners’ and Directors’ Test, which outlines requirements that would prohibit an individual from becoming an owner or director of a club, is actually quite a narrow test. It largely just covers criminal conviction, a ban by a sporting or professional body, or breaches of things like match-fixing. Unsurprisingly, we don't think these people are very nice, isn't one of the tests. It is all set out in Section F of the Premier League Handbook

https://resources.premierleague.com/pre ... _21.10.pdf

Interesting there is probably sufficient there to ban the directors of the 'big 6' for entering into an agreement to participate in an unapproved competition. However we all know the uneven way the rules are applied when it comes to these clubs...

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 2nd, 2021, 9:09 am

It interesting watching the look on Amanda Staveleys face during a match
She doesn't look as if she thinks she has made a good move :roll:

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 2nd, 2021, 11:06 am

SteMiS wrote:

The Owners’ and Directors’ Test, which outlines requirements that would prohibit an individual from becoming an owner or director of a club, is actually quite a narrow test. It largely just covers criminal conviction, a ban by a sporting or professional body, or breaches of things like match-fixing. Unsurprisingly, we don't think these people are very nice, isn't one of the tests. It is all set out in Section F of the Premier League Handbook

https://resources.premierleague.com/pre ... _21.10.pdf

Interesting there is probably sufficient there to ban the directors of the 'big 6' for entering into an agreement to participate in an unapproved competition. However we all know the uneven way the rules are applied when it comes to these clubs...

Actually there are different tests, not just those undertaken by the Premier League, but also by the Governance Departments of the EFL (and lower leagues too) and the FA. The initial tests are indeed quite narrow, although they are progressively more detailed as an individual moves from "Director" to "Shareholder", and along the percentage of ownership from <10%, to > 10% but < 30%, >30% but < 50%, to >50%.

In general the label "fit and proper" is a bit of a misnomer, and the direction of travel is much to do with the ongoing financial viability of a club, and not the morals of the backers.

Disc. Director and part owner of a Football League Club and participant in 2 of the levels of OADT within the football governance structure.

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » November 2nd, 2021, 11:40 am

dealtn wrote:In general the label "fit and proper" is a bit of a misnomer, and the direction of travel is much to do with the ongoing financial viability of a club, and not the morals of the backers.

Whilst I don't disagree with that, it is interesting that the Premier League handbook says

F.1. A Person shall be disqualified from acting as a Director and no Club shall be permitted to have any Person acting as a Director of that Club if:
F.1.1. he/she has been found by a Commission to have acted in breach of Rules B.24, or L.9;

to which

L.9. It shall be a breach of these Rules by a Club (acting through any of its Officials or Directors) or any of its Officials or its Directors themselves to (indirectly or directly) do any of the following without the prior written approval of the Board (not to be unreasonably withheld ot delayed):
L.9.1. enter into any agreement of any kind (whether by correspondence, heads of terms or memorandum of understanding) whether legally binding or otherwise, which includes an intention that the Club will participate in an Unapproved Competition;
L.9.4. publicly announce (or approve a third party to publicly announce) the intention of the Club to participate in any Unapproved Competition;

Interesting how the Big 6 managed to avoided sanction under these rules...

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 8th, 2021, 4:14 pm

So, Eddie Howe has been formally announced. I hope it works out well for him and the club

--kiloran

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » November 8th, 2021, 5:13 pm

kiloran wrote:So, Eddie Howe has been formally announced. I hope it works out well for him and the club

--kiloran

Yeah, I can't say I'm totally enthused by this but, at the end of the day, we desperately need a new manager and to make a start on trying to turn ourselves into some sort of functioning Premier League club so I think the fans will get behind him.

Howe ay the lads...

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 9th, 2021, 10:07 pm

Eddie Howe, as we all know, did a magnificent job at Bournemouth, a minor club. How will he perform with a squillion quid to blow, and how will he handle prima donna players who think they're more important than the boss? I don't know but it'll be fascinating to watch. Will the toon supporters be patient? Somehow I can't see smooth sailing ahead.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 9th, 2021, 10:35 pm

So Newcastle have appointed Eddie Howe or as he was known by some at Burnley "Eddie ... Howe not to manage a defence effectively.

Obviously memories are very short in the game these days.

He's not completely useless as he did sign some VG players i.e. Tripps and Mee but he just seemed incapable of organising a defence effectively whilst he was there.

Some gave the reason that his inability was down to his domestic problems but I don't think he was any great shakes at Bournemouth ultimately was he where he had much more money to spend over the period he was there.

Will he keep them up or be gone by Christmas well we shall see.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”