Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

How much longer will Ole last?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: How much longer will Ole last?

Postby pje16 » November 21st, 2021, 3:24 pm

Poch is now only 10-1 (Betfair)
just had a small punt :)

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 21st, 2021, 4:05 pm

pje16 wrote:Poch is now only 10-1 (Betfair)
just had a small punt :)

He'll be in Manchester this week on Champions League duty. I wonder if he'll get a one-way ticket from Paris?

--kiloran

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 21st, 2021, 4:39 pm

Poch? No thanks. Bottled the league (when Leicester won it) and the European Cup final, when Spurs should have won both. Sure, a case of "Lads, it's Tottenham", but even so.

Ralf Rangnick for me. He's the godfather of gegenpressing, was a huge influence on both Klopp and Tuchel, and has done wonders with his teams. From what he has said, he'd probably be happy to become director of football (DoF) afterwards.

The problem is that the Glazers don't want a DoF who knows football. They want a money man DoF who signs players with big social media presence. The Wenger Trophy is the football target, but that's secondary. Their big aim is more sponsors, like our official tractor partner, and more likes on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. The marketing team are loving the attention we're getting today!

Our CEO (Woodward) has been our DoF, applying his investment banking skills to transfers, etc. and making spectacular cockups in the process. Whilst giving plum jobs to his mates from University.

We're a marketing business which happens to own a football club from which our absentee owners have extracted over £1 billion in debt and interest payments.

If Carrick wins several games, which is quite possible given the new manager bounce and that we've got an easy run to Christmas after Chelsea, expect anonymous sources telling the media that he's a serious candidate for the job. That would save the Glazers a lot of money and he's unlikely to rock the boat.

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 21st, 2021, 10:52 pm

Carrick a football manager based on what exactly?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 21st, 2021, 11:43 pm

Stan wrote:Carrick a football manager based on what exactly?

Well he's never been relegated from the prem so he's got a better record than OGS. Also he would probably accept which puts him ahead of most people on that list...

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 23rd, 2021, 9:21 pm

BobbyD wrote:

Well he's never been relegated from the prem so he's got a better record than OGS. Also he would probably accept which puts him ahead of most people on that list...

My point is that appointing yet another unqualified former player is only repeating the follies of the recent past.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 23rd, 2021, 9:40 pm

Stan wrote:
BobbyD wrote:

My point is that appointing yet another unqualified former player is only repeating the follies of the recent past.

Have you not been watching MUN for the last 8 years? Woodward has taken the Peter Cook line about having learnt from his mistakes and being able to replicate them entirely to heart. See for example seeking to spend their way out of a hole with insane high profile transfers, offering players ridiculous contracts to stay which then mean they can't move a past it player on, completely ignoring a coaching set up which actively makes their players worse... I'm sure he is delighted to have a new trick up his sleeve! Plus there's the slight problem of getting anybody with any credibility to risk totalling their career by taking the job. They should be very happy that Poch is desperate to leave PSG.

Also, I may have been indulging in a little gentle mockery of MUN's situation.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 25th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Ralf Rangnick for 6 months
how much cofidence that inspire
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59421961

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 25th, 2021, 4:19 pm

pje16 wrote:Ralf Rangnick for 6 months

It was only ever intended to be an interim appointment so I am not sure of your point?

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 25th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Dod101 wrote:

It was only ever intended to be an interim appointment so I am not sure of your point?
Dod

Interim, like OGS ;)

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 25th, 2021, 5:06 pm

According to his Wikipedia page, he's never managed a big club, he's won 1 major trophy in 30 years of management
So don't hold too much hope if you're a red

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 25th, 2021, 5:09 pm

Dod101 wrote:

Dod

Aren't you more likely to be motivated long term than short
and if a player doesn't get on with him doesnt' have long to wait
Jan transfer window - how attractive is a manager who going to be there for 4 months
I could go on but that's enough :D

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 25th, 2021, 5:50 pm

pje16 wrote:According to his Wikipedia page, he's never managed a big club, he's won 1 major trophy in 30 years of management

Rangnick has a bit more to offer than his Wikipedia implies. Unfortunately most British football journalists don't look much further than Premier League, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Ajax and PSG.

Many will be scrambling to find out more (hint to any journalist who is, read about what he did with Hoffenheim and don't rely on Wikipedia).

Klopp and Tuchel follow a lot of his methods. Gegenpressing; that's Rangnick's innovation (see my earlier post in this thread (eight posts back)).

Given that we've been somewhat lacking in the tactical department, a manager with his level of tactical knowledge is a big improvement.

He isn't a fan of slow passing, sideways passing and lazy players. Pogba is probably packing his bags already.

Signing him signifies a big change for the good in the culture behind the scenes. He's not a yes man who'd let a bunch of investment bankers tell him what to do, which is who the Glazers have preferred to hire. That they are hiring him for two years after this season, acting as a consultant (Director of Football?), is highly significant.

I'm very happy, wearing both my fan's and shareholder's hats

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 25th, 2021, 6:03 pm

He does have the easiest of starts next month
Norwich, Newcastle and Burnley

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 25th, 2021, 11:09 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
pje16 wrote:According to his Wikipedia page, he's never managed a big club, he's won 1 major trophy in 30 years of management

Rangnick has a bit more to offer than his Wikipedia implies. Unfortunately most British football journalists don't look much further than Premier League, Madrid, Barcelona, Munich, Ajax and PSG.

Many will be scrambling to find out more (hint to any journalist who is, read about what he did with Hoffenheim and don't rely on Wikipedia).

Klopp and Tuchel follow a lot of his methods. Gegenpressing; that's Rangnick's innovation (see my earlier post in this thread (eight posts back)).

Given that we've been somewhat lacking in the tactical department, a manager with his level of tactical knowledge is a big improvement.

He isn't a fan of slow passing, sideways passing and lazy players. Pogba is probably packing his bags already.

Signing him signifies a big change for the good in the culture behind the scenes. He's not a yes man who'd let a bunch of investment bankers tell him what to do, which is who the Glazers have preferred to hire. That they are hiring him for two years after this season, acting as a consultant (Director of Football?), is highly significant.

Thanks for that. To be honest I knew nothing of Rangnick until this morning. I will be most interested to follow his progress. I am certainly a fan but also indirectly a shareholder via Finsbury Income and Growth.

Dod

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 27th, 2021, 8:10 pm

pje16 wrote:He does have the easiest of starts next month
Norwich, Newcastle and Burnley

He might do against the likes of Newcastle but have you seen the resent form from Burnley and Norwich?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 27th, 2021, 10:49 pm

just take a look at the bottom three teams :roll:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 28th, 2021, 9:35 am

pje16 wrote:just take a look at the bottom three teams :roll:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables

Yes, as Stan suggests, only 1 loss in the combined last 9 games they have played.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 28th, 2021, 9:58 am

I just knew you would disagree with me as you usually do
The point is they appear to be among the easiest oppostion
somewhat different to having Liverpool or Man City up next

Personally I hope I'm wrong

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » November 28th, 2021, 10:23 am

Dod101 wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:

Thanks for that. To be honest I knew nothing of Rangnick until this morning. I will be most interested to follow his progress. I am certainly a fan but also indirectly a shareholder via Finsbury Income and Growth.

Dod

Every time you hear the word gegenpressing mentioned in response to Rangnick's OT appointment just remember they are paying 36 year old CR7 £510,000 a week...

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”