Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

How much longer will Ole last?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

How much longer will Ole last?

Postby Leothebear » November 7th, 2021, 8:24 am

I'm usually in favour of giving the manager a decent chance. Has Solskjaer has his?
Outclassed yesterday, I can't help feeling he has lost control.

Not easy to think of a contender though is it.

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: How much longer will Ole last?

Postby pje16 » November 7th, 2021, 9:30 am

How come it's not the players fault ?
It was pointed out on MOTD how much effort the City players put in trying to get the ball back when they lost it
and how little effort the United players exerted by comparison
Too many United players know that they won't be dropped as they don't have adequates replacements
That's not Ole's fault

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2021, 9:44 am

pje16 wrote:How come it's not the players fault ?
It was pointed out on MOTD how much effort the City players put in trying to get the ball back when they lost it
Too many United players know that they won't be dropped as they don't have adequates replacements
That's not Ole's fault

I am not sure that is the problem. Man U have a big squad, but Guardiola for instance, is a manager of the players and commands their respect; I do not think Ole is and nor do I think he commands his players' respect. I doubt that any bunch of players wants to lose big matches all the time, even overpaid ones as in the Man U squad. It is of course the fundamental job of the manager to get the players to not just play to win; that goes without saying, but to play attractive winning football according to the way the manager instructs them. Ronaldo must wonder why on earth he returned to Manchester.

In any other club Solskaer would have been sacked at the latest after the Liverpool defeat. Other clubs now want him to stay; that is telling the Man United Board something.

Dod

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 7th, 2021, 10:48 am

That's not Ole's fault

Really? How many players have played in every game? How many haven't been dropped, or rotated?

Who do you think is beyond being dropped?

I do agree a lot of it is down to players, and their performances, in conjunction with the way the management staff prepare, and set their players up for a game though.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 7th, 2021, 11:36 am

dealtn wrote:Really? How many players have played in every game? How many haven't been dropped, or rotated?

Did you see MOTD? - I was paraphrasing the views that were expressed on that, but I do know you like to contend my views
and out of 16 matches this season
Bruno Fernandes 16
David de Gea 15
Mason Greenwood 14
Aaron Wan-Bissaka 14
Luke Shaw 14

Utd defenders on the bench yesterday
Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles
Bissaka and Shaw have nothing to worry about

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 7th, 2021, 11:48 am

Ole will last until the Glazers (our Florida based owners) decide that they will lose more money by keeping him than sacking him. The football side is secondary to the commercial side at United nowadays. 4th place for the Wenger Trophy is good enough for them.

The Glazers aren't all that interested in football. It's the NFL season (they own Tampa Bay) and they've been busy trying to buy an Indian Premier League franchise these last few months. We're a merchandising business which happens to own a football club.

Since Fergie left several players have been signed in large part because of what they bring off the pitch (e.g. Pogba) than on it. Instagram likes is where the action is.

We do transfers badly and the football world knows we're a soft touch. Cockups are routine, such as the CEO paying £3.5 million more than the price Everton asked when buying Fellaini. Wasting £110 million on Sancho and Van de Beek hasn't helped.

The CEO is serving out his notice (he's the Galzers' human shield, taking the blame for them over the European Super League) so he's probably not too bothered.

We've a ridiculously large squad where huge contract extensions are routinely awarded to players who are past it so the accounts can reflect their "value" in the balance sheet rather than write it off. I wouldn't be surprised if debt covenants have something to do with this behaviour.

The coaching is rubbish by all accounts. Crony appointments the lot of them.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

pje16 wrote:
dealtn wrote:Really? How many players have played in every game? How many haven't been dropped, or rotated?

Did you see MOTD?

Yes.

pje16 wrote:I was paraphrasing the views that were expressed on that, but I do know you like to contend my views

It wasn't clear the views weren't yours, but someone elses. Regardless, this is a discussion forum. It would be odd if anybody's views weren't open to challenge, and, er, discussion.
pje16 wrote:and out of 16 matches this season

Bruno Fernandes 16
David de Gea 15
Mason Greenwood 14
Aaron Wan-Bissaka 14
Luke Shaw 14

So, only one hasn't been "dropped"? Although I guess that's enough to satisfy your claim of "too many".
pje16 wrote:Utd defenders on the bench yesterday
Diogo Dalot and Alex Telles
Bissaka and Shaw have nothing to worry about

Diogo Dalot is a Portugues International (representing his country at 6 age levels before the full national team).

Alex Telles, a full Brazilian international, and first team regular at Porto from where he was transferred. He has won Player of the Season for his position in Serie A.

I think both are capable enough to be in most Premiership teams first team squads, and would be suitable alternatives should a manager decide their first team regular was worthy of being dropped (or were injured or unavailable).

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » November 7th, 2021, 1:35 pm

Ok I'm fed up with this, I give up you win

jackdaww
Lemon Quarter

Postby jackdaww » November 7th, 2021, 2:06 pm

longer than villa's dean smith , who was sacked in the last hour ..

:(

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 7th, 2021, 2:29 pm

If the players are at fault, bad attitude, lack of effort or whatever, surely it's the responsibility of the manager to deal with them. I think perhaps the players have let him and the club down, but the buck still stops with the manager.

The only possible way it's not down to the manager is if his powers to discipline players has been limited by his superiors, in which case he should probably resign anyway.

As for the owners, they'll start to care when the Manchester United brand becomes tarnished and less valuable. From what SH posted, that is very likely.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » November 7th, 2021, 2:30 pm

It's quite amazing how short the average tenure of a Premiership manager actually is.

3 Premiership managers gone in less than a week, and now 5 this season. 11 games into the season.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » November 7th, 2021, 4:23 pm

Dod101 wrote:
That's not Ole's fault

I am not sure that is the problem. Man U have a big squad, but Guardiola for instance, is a manager of the players and commands their respect; I do not think Ole is and nor do I think he commands his players' respect. I doubt that any bunch of players wants to lose big matches all the time, even overpaid ones as in the Man U squad. It is of course the fundamental job of the manager to get the players to not just play to win; that goes without saying, but to play attractive winning football according to the way the manager instructs them. Ronaldo must wonder why on earth he returned to Manchester.

In any other club Solskaer would have been sacked at the latest after the Liverpool defeat. Other clubs now want him to stay; that is telling the Man United Board something.

Dod

Tempting though it was I have deleted my intended post.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » November 7th, 2021, 4:29 pm

Come on - out with it....

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » November 7th, 2021, 4:32 pm

With Farke, Smith and Bruce now free agents for Man U's management to choose from, surely Ole's time is up

--kiloran :evil:

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » November 7th, 2021, 5:21 pm

kiloran wrote:With Farke, Smith and Bruce now free agents for Man U's management to choose from, surely Ole's time is up

--kiloran :evil:

There's plenty of gossip on fan forums, some of which comes from people with a good track record, that Gareth Southgate is top of the shortlist (or joint top with Brendan Rogers).

Just what we need; another manager who doesn't like to change tactics mid-game, and has a great track record of bottling it in cup semi-finals and finals which his team should have won.

David Moyes is only 80-1 as I type this. He's done a good job with West Ham :D (only joking, Moyes sabotaged our club by firing the entire coaching staff and replacing them with his cronies, thus destroying a lot of institutional memory and turning us into Everton with more money).

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » November 7th, 2021, 9:19 pm

Dod101 wrote:In any other club Solskaer would have been sacked at the latest after the Liverpool defeat.

Any other club? I can name quite a few where being 6th in the Premiership (even after a 5-0 drubbing by Liverpool) wouldn't get you the sack....

I'm surprised Rio Ferdinand hasn't been along to suggest that, if supporters don't like how the Glazers run the club, they should "round your money up and take over the club then"...

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Mike88 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
That's not Ole's fault

Dod

That is a shame.

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 7th, 2021, 10:57 pm

SteMiS wrote:
Dod101 wrote:In any other club Solskaer would have been sacked at the latest after the Liverpool defeat.

Any other club? I can name quite a few where being 6th in the Premiership (even after a 5-0 drubbing by Liverpool) wouldn't get you the sack....

I'm surprised Rio Ferdinand hasn't been along to suggest that, if supporters don't like how the Glazers run the club, they should "round your money up and take over the club then"...

Ah but Man U is not 'any other club' and being 6th in the Premiership is definitely not their natural habitat.

Dod

SteMiS
Lemon Quarter

Postby SteMiS » November 8th, 2021, 12:09 am

Dod101 wrote:
SteMiS wrote:

Ah but Man U is not 'any other club' and being 6th in the Premiership is definitely not their natural habitat.

Dod

You know, nothing is forever. Ask the [expletive deleted] fans...

Stan
2 Lemon pips

Postby Stan » November 9th, 2021, 10:20 pm

I'm very surprised that he's still in employment at Premier level, he was even sacked at Cardiff City a few years back for petes sake :lol:

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”