Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Using M'Lud friends in Sport

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Using M'Lud friends in Sport

Postby terminal7 » December 13th, 2021, 9:00 am

On another thread the use of legal advisers in F1 is being discussed. Maybe this thread should go to the CK thread?

A very interesting case has arisen in horse racing where there has been a recent case of several incidences of bullying by a male jockey against a female jockey. In front of an independent tribunal of judges the British Horse Racing Authority (BHA) prosecuted the male jockey. This is a long and complicated case - but the case itself is not my purpose of starting this thread. Both parties were 'led' by senior QCs. In his concluding statement the QC for the BHA stated that there was a 'rancid' weighing room culture. After the case was concluded in finding the jockey guilty on all charges, the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA) accused the BHA of maligning jockeys by the use of the word rancid. This has caused all sorts of ructions between various bodies in horse racing. It is evident that the QC was throwing as much mud in the hope that it would stick in his summing up.

Clearly what a QC says in court does not necessarily represent the views of his/her client. However most QCs would appreciate that their words can have significant implications outside the court in future dealings with parties that engage in constant running of that activity. Should a QC consult with their client before the use of such potential damaging vocabulary?

T7

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Using M'Lud friends in Sport

Postby GoSeigen » December 13th, 2021, 11:31 am

terminal7 wrote:On another thread the use of legal advisers in F1 is being discussed. Maybe this thread should go to the CK thread?

A very interesting case has arisen in horse racing where there has been a recent case of several incidences of bullying by a male jockey against a female jockey. In front of an independent tribunal of judges the British Horse Racing Authority (BHA) prosecuted the male jockey. This is a long and complicated case - but the case itself is not my purpose of starting this thread. Both parties were 'led' by senior QCs. In his concluding statement the QC for the BHA stated that there was a 'rancid' weighing room culture. After the case was concluded in finding the jockey guilty on all charges, the Professional Jockeys Association (PJA) accused the BHA of maligning jockeys by the use of the word rancid. This has caused all sorts of ructions between various bodies in horse racing. It is evident that the QC was throwing as much mud in the hope that it would stick in his summing up.

Clearly what a QC says in court does not necessarily represent the views of his/her client. However most QCs would appreciate that their words can have significant implications outside the court in future dealings with parties that engage in constant running of that activity. Should a QC consult with their client before the use of such potential damaging vocabulary?

T7

No opinion on the question but I'm pretty sure "M'Lud" is a contraction of "My Lord" not "My learned"...

GS

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”