Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Winter Olympics - ROC

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Winter Olympics - ROC

Postby Leothebear » February 21st, 2022, 2:33 pm

I used to be of the mind to keep sport separate from politics.
The sham that is the ROC would seem to show that Russia has learned little from past misdemeanours.
Their treatment of a 15 year old girl was as enlightening as it was awful. What is the point of letting them compete on the world stage?
They will have their allies. I'm sure they'll find keen support from China and possibly North Korea. What does that tell us.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Re: Winter Olympics - ROC

Postby BigB » February 21st, 2022, 5:50 pm

Leothebear wrote:I used to be of the mind to keep sport separate from politics.
The sham that is the ROC would seem to show that Russia has learned little from past misdemeanours.
Their treatment of a 15 year old girl was as enlightening as it was awful. What is the point of letting them compete on the world stage?
They will have their allies. I'm sure they'll find keen support from China and possibly North Korea. What does that tell us.

Wouldn't disagree about Russia/ROC, however the most shocking aspect of the whole situation for me was the IOC not excluding the competitor from the individual competition.

She should have been suspended, pending investigation, and allowing the other competitors to have a competition with medals etc..

This need not have precluded them from offering support and counsel to the young competitor, and possibly a later exoneration.

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Re: Winter Olympics - ROC

Postby daveh » February 22nd, 2022, 1:36 pm

BigB wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I used to be of the mind to keep sport separate from politics.

Wouldn't disagree about Russia/ROC, however the most shocking aspect of the whole situation for me was the IOC not excluding the competitor from the individual competition.

She should have been suspended, pending investigation, and allowing the other competitors to have a competition with medals etc..

This need not have precluded them from offering support and counsel to the young competitor, and possibly a later exoneration.

The IOC wanted to exclude Valieva, but couldn't as the re-imposition of the preliminary suspension was not allowed, on appeal to CAS, so IOC had no option but to allow her to compete.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”