Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Scotland v Ukraine

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Scotland v Ukraine

Postby SalvorHardin » June 1st, 2022, 5:28 pm

Anyone cheering on the Jocks?

Granted, being Welsh I remember Joe Jordan's handball, so when it comes to football I'm not one of those who cheers onbthe home team.

And when I was 7 years old being beaten up by some Jock [EXPLETIVE DELETED] because I wore a Celtic shirt (FWIW I got my revenge, a dish best eaten cold).

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/35-years-onjoe-jordan-still-2020990.amp

I want Scotland to be humiliated. Flattened. Pulverised. Stick your Braveheart up your jacksi.

£1,000 @ 12-5. Love it

Not watching it BTW. Somerset v Sussex T20. Much more important. Just off to the County Ground

pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Scotland v Ukraine

Postby pje16 » June 1st, 2022, 5:53 pm

I'm a Londoner
but normally would support Scotland
but going with Ukraine tonight - that country needs some joy in their lives

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 1st, 2022, 8:04 pm

Cracking comment from Frankie Boyle on Twitter: "The Scottish players struggling to adapt to the sunshine"
:)

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 1st, 2022, 9:14 pm

so far so good :lol:

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 1st, 2022, 10:04 pm

William Wallace. Alexander Graham Bell. Gavin Hastings. The bloke on the Scotts porridge oats box. Hamish Macbeth. Tony Blair. Kenny Dalgleish. Bonnie Prince Charlie. Nicola Sturgeon. Can you hear me Nicola Sturgeon. Your boys took a hell of a beating. Your boys took a hell of a beating.

(For anyone wondering what the heck I've typed, here is the original)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 1st, 2022, 11:15 pm

Absolutely excellent of the Scottish fans to join in with the Ukrainian national anthem.

Bad luck Scotland, well played

AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 1st, 2022, 11:18 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:William Wallace. Alexander Graham Bell. Gavin Hastings. The bloke on the Scotts porridge oats box. Hamish Macbeth. Tony Blair. Kenny Dalgleish. Bonnie Prince Charlie. Nicola Sturgeon. Can you hear me Nicola Sturgeon. Your boys took a hell of a beating. Your boys took a hell of a beating.

I always saw SH as a balanced contributor to these Boards but I now wonder. He has made his point and more than, by some margin. As a Scot, I am fairly unconcerned, but I am well prepared to give the Ukrainians their deserved place. I assume SH has indulged in too much of our national liquor and will give him the benefit of the doubt on that account.

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 2nd, 2022, 12:41 am

Dod101 wrote:
SalvorHardin wrote:William Wallace. Alexander Graham Bell. Gavin Hastings. The bloke on the Scotts porridge oats box. Hamish Macbeth. Tony Blair. Kenny Dalgleish. Bonnie Prince Charlie. Nicola Sturgeon. Can you hear me Nicola Sturgeon. Your boys took a hell of a beating. Your boys took a hell of a beating.

I always saw SH as a balanced contributor to these Boards but I now wonder. He has made his point and more than, by some margin. As a Scot, I am fairly unconcerned, but I am well prepared to give the Ukrainians their deserved place. I assume SH has indulged in too much of our national liquor and will give him the benefit of the doubt on that account.

Dod

Away with ya Dod :lol:. It was a joke by "Taffy". Sorry Salvor, I had to get that one in. The devil in me has been caged for far too long. You can call me a daft, gormless chuff who wears mufflers and a flat cap, Salvor and I'll still love you. I believe we in Yorkshire often answer to the nickname tykes too :roll:

My name is daft gormless chuff who wears a muffler and a flat cap and I am available for refereeing work and explaining jokes. Fees are negotiable.

Please visit my LinkedIn page for a 10% discount.

AiY(D)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 2nd, 2022, 8:59 am

. . and what about the Bay City Rollers?

T7

ps great bet

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 2nd, 2022, 9:18 am

terminal7 wrote: . . and what about the Bay City Rollers?

T7

ps great bet

I forgot about them. I should have included Joe Jordan again for his handball (he's Wales' equivalent of Maradonna for the English).

Worse still is leaving out Ally's Tartan Army

Sometimes bets work :D I did lose £40 on Somerset v Sussex last night though

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 2nd, 2022, 9:39 am

SalvorHardin wrote:I should have included Joe Jordan again for his handball (he's Wales' equivalent of Maradonna for the English).

Only for handball - he's nowhere near as talented (not many were)
Nice bet win btw
you can absorb the £40 loss :lol:

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 2nd, 2022, 11:52 am

A bit of respite for the Ukrainian soldiers...hopefully taking their minds off the war for a brief time.

Credit Reuters. Photo taken from The Telegraph
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... k-kherson/

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 3rd, 2022, 2:17 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Anyone cheering on the Jocks?

Granted, being Welsh I remember Joe Jordan's handball, so when it comes to football I'm not one of those who cheers onbthe home team.

And when I was 7 years old being beaten up by some Jock [EXPLETIVE DELETED] because I wore a Celtic shirt (FWIW I got my revenge, a dish best eaten cold).

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/35-years-onjoe-jordan-still-2020990.amp

I want Scotland to be humiliated. Flattened. Pulverised. Stick your Braveheart up your jacksi.

£1,000 @ 12-5. Love it

Not watching it BTW. Somerset v Sussex T20. Much more important. Just off to the County Ground

Hi Salvor,

I hope you're well and the euphoria of the Ukrainian win is nothing more than a dim and distant memory clouded by a well earned hangover :lol: My [very] badness 8-)

I wanted to share a little ditty from my exciting life. About 38 years ago my Dad asked me if I wanted to go with him to the dog track in Norton Cannes. One race came up with only four dogs in it. And clever old me thought it would be a good idea to bet on one particular do which had no dog in either trap at the side of it.

The odds were very short and odds on. The dog won. I'd put a £1 on the dog and was in a queue waiting to collect my winnings. I can't recall what the odds were but I vaguely recall I'd won about 60p (ish). The queue went down slowly. Then the guy in front of me put his hand out and the bookie started putting money in his hand. One hundred, two hundred, three hundred, four hundred ... needless to say I went from a state of euphoria to complete shame.

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » June 5th, 2022, 12:47 pm

Hi Salvor,

Who have you bet on to win today's game?

World Cup: Wales 'knows most of world against us' in Ukraine play-off

Wales hope to put 64 years of World Cup hurt behind them as they bid to qualify for their first finals since 1958.

Good luck

AiY(D)

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 5th, 2022, 1:17 pm

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Hi Salvor,

Who have you bet on to win today's game?

World Cup: Wales 'knows most of world against us' in Ukraine play-off

Wales hope to put 64 years of World Cup hurt behind them as they bid to qualify for their first finals since 1958.

Good luck

AiY(D)

No. I'm keeping my powder dry.

Being Welsh it's a hard to bet against Wales, even though I've never been all that bothered about the Welsh national football team. Except when they play England or Scotland :D (I didn't see any of Wales world cup qualifying games).

But Welsh Rugby, especially when playing England, gets my attention :D

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 5th, 2022, 1:56 pm

What is it with the Welsh and Scots "anyone but England" to win stance :D
I normally support any British team in Europe or the World Cup
Last Wednesday I, probably like everyone except the Scots, supported Ukraine, and for the same reason will support them today

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 5th, 2022, 2:06 pm

pje16 wrote:I'm a Londoner

That suggests that you believe, if Ukraine qualify, all teams should stand side and let Ukraine win the World Cup just to bring "some joy into their lives".

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 5th, 2022, 2:24 pm

Mike88 wrote:

That suggests that you believe, if Ukraine qualify, all teams should stand side and let Ukraine win the World Cup just to bring "some joy into their lives".

What a bloody great idea!
Can you imagine the message of solidarity and support THAT would send to Putin and every other autocratic dictator in the wings?!
Is there somewhere we can sign a petition?

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 5th, 2022, 2:56 pm

Mike88 wrote:

Ok on that basis as I support Spurs can you make every team stand aside next season so they can win the premier league
Supporting someone does not mean everyone else stands aside
or else it's not sport :lol:

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Postby AWOL » June 6th, 2022, 8:30 am

pje16 wrote:What is it with the Welsh and Scots "anyone but England" to win stance :D
I normally support any British team in Europe or the World Cup
Last Wednesday I, probably like everyone except the Scots, supported Ukraine, and for the same reason will support them today

Ahead of the game i saw a vox pop on tv and they asked an Englishman who he was sorting and he said "I am English so as you would expect I want anyone but Scotland to win". They interviewed a Scot who said that he was supporting Scotland but it would be wonderful if Ukraine won (a feeling i shared)

I found the "anyone but Scotland" attitude common when i lived in London but admittedly most people didn't care. Is the "anyone but England" attitude more common in Scotland? I don't know but I must confess i feel no more or less affinity with England than i do with France. I don't think that should be a crime. My continental friends have rivalry with their neighbours. Many English people have told me of their anybody but France or Germany views. Those German views are justified in the basis of two world wars and the French attitude in no particular basis but i assume the Hundred Years War and Napoleonic Wars are to blame. Perhaps the anyone but England thing comes from similar historic memories.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”