Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77, for Donating to support the site

Germany V England...The Ladies

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Re: Germany V England...The Ladies

Postby MrFoolish » August 1st, 2022, 3:22 pm

Snorvey wrote:Genuine bit of Wembley 77 turf.

Score 2-1 to Scotland

Pretty ancient. You could probably find fragments of dinosaur droppings.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2022, 3:22 pm

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
pje16 wrote:
didds wrote:
I once twisted my ankle badly in a warmup prior to a rugby match when my foot went down a rabbit hole behind the in goal area!

I'd be surprised if Wembley or any professional club pitch had "rabbit holes"
but I bet that hurt though, so sorry to hear about that

Quite amazing how much time we have all spent on discussing this game, considering that our biggest bank has just announced what I think is a significant turnaround in its fortunes with precious little comment - and this is supposed to be primarily an investment forum.

Dod

This thread is not about banks though. Let’s hope the women’s game grows and develops from here a lot better than the HSBC share price has over the past 20 years! What a ridiculously bad long term investment it’s been.

Agreed and that is why today's announcement seems to me to be imprtant.

Dod

Though hardly a subject for a sporting board.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 1st, 2022, 3:22 pm

Looks more like a turd than turf!

--kiloran

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Postby Hallucigenia » August 1st, 2022, 3:23 pm

Arborbridge wrote:.PS can anyone who knows the rules better than I tell me: if a male player taking his shirt off after scoring a goal is committing a yellow card offence? Indeed, do any men do it, and have they been show a card?

Law 12 :
Players can celebrate when a goal is scored, but the celebration must not be excessive; choreographed celebrations are not encouraged and must not cause excessive time-wasting....
A player must be cautioned, even if the goal is disallowed, for:
climbing onto a perimeter fence and/or approaching the spectators in a manner which causes safety and/or security issues
gesturing or acting in a provocative, derisory or inflammatory way
covering the head or face with a mask or other similar item
removing the shirt or covering the head with the shirt

Came in about 20 years ago - it's partly because shirt sponsors want the camera to show their name at the moment when the camera is on the scorer, but also FIFA was nervous about players wearing T-shirts underneath with political messages even if they're more likely to have something about their recently deceased grandmother or sick child. There's also an element of respecting cultures that are more sensitive to exposing the body - regardless of the law, imagine Kelly doing that in eg Saudi Arabia.

MrFoolish wrote:I thought it was rather chavy and unprofessional to be honest.

You're missing the context within women's football, specifically the reference to Brandi Chastain in 1999 - this article explains some of that background. Part of the point is upsetting old men and their ideas of how women shouldn't get too uppity...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/05/spor ... image.html

Arborbridge wrote:From her POV she thought it worth the risk, or maybe she just couldn't help herself. more likely. It was pure natural exhuberance, pure joy in the moment - how wonderful to see such an natural and unaffected reaction.

That argument is somewhat negated by the fact that she clearly paused to see if VAR was going to cancel it, and the Brandi Chastain reference. Being a little bit cynical, it's a great visual moment to build your "brand" in a social media world.
Last edited by Hallucigenia on August 1st, 2022, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 1st, 2022, 3:25 pm

Remind me..what century ?

;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 1st, 2022, 3:35 pm

Arborbridge wrote:Though hardly a subject for a sporting board.

This . in tha same way discussion of the footy would be inappropriate on the HSBC investment thread wherever it was reside

Otherwiae wed have just on forum for all posts. Innit.

didds

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Postby MrFoolish » August 1st, 2022, 3:44 pm

Arborbridge wrote:There are killjoys and there are those who love life. I'm firmly for the latter.

Arb.

Who is playing the strawman now? It's possible to take a view on this matter without being a killjoy, is it not?

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » August 1st, 2022, 3:45 pm

Lootman wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Well, she paid by having a yellow card - which is more than can be said for some of the fouls on the pitch.

Why concede a needless yellow card? One slip and they are down to 10 (wo)men. I'm glad this didn't happen, but it was a unnecessary risk.

In this case it was near the end of the game and so the risk of a second yellow was minimal. In general this kind of celebration happens towards the end of the game, having scored (what is thought to be) the winner.

Of course if you already have one yellow then it is stupid. So I am not sure these celebrations are that impulsive. I suspect there is some deliberation that goes into them either beforehand or at the time.

Looked to me like she paused briefly at the time to consider, and then decided to take the shirt off anyway, knowing the direct penalty, but perhaps not the indirect impact of scenarios that could have evolved in the following 8 minutes.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » August 1st, 2022, 3:55 pm

Hallucigenia wrote:That argument is somewhat negated by the fact that she clearly paused to see if VAR was going to cancel it

VAR had nothing to do with it. She was clearly considering whether it might cause excessive discussion on LemonFool :lol:

--kiloran

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 1st, 2022, 3:59 pm

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Though hardly a subject for a sporting board.

This . in tha same way discussion of the footy would be inappropriate on the HSBC investment thread wherever it was reside

Otherwiae wed have just on forum for all posts. Innit.

didds

I agree, I agree but it would have got no response if I had placed it on the HSBC thread. I am trying not to prolong the discussion here, believe it or not.

Dod

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 1st, 2022, 4:13 pm

Enjoyed the discussion. What a range of comments? But that’s why TLF is so good and the posters therein. We agree or we don’t!
Regardless, we won. Anyone notice how small in comparison to our lot the Germans are, even their goalie was tiny and yet they were more physical and towards the last 20 minutes certainly fitter. Sure this can be worked on.

In the States, they take women’s soccer very seriously and are paid accordingly. Yes, there will be many changes now plus we have a reputation to live up to so long May it continue.

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Postby nimnarb » August 1st, 2022, 4:30 pm

Snorvey wrote:We agree or we don’t!

We can agree that in 1977 we owned your asses :D

#56yearsofhurt

Pooy, I much preferred the 15th April 1961! :lol:

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2022, 5:44 pm

MrFoolish wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:There are killjoys and there are those who love life. I'm firmly for the latter.

Arb.

Who is playing the strawman now? It's possible to take a view on this matter without being a killjoy, is it not?

Dubious, I'd say. The argument, however good or stretched, will still result in being a killjoy :)

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2022, 6:20 pm

BigB wrote:
Looked to me like she paused briefly at the time to consider, and then decided to take the shirt off anyway, knowing the direct penalty, but perhaps not the indirect impact of scenarios that could have evolved in the following 8 minutes.

I think so too. She paused for a couple of seconds - just enough that the coy BBC could edit out what followed on later news clips. I think Lootman could be correct: was it a pre-planned dare, did she take on a bet with her mates beforehand? I would put it past them: they seem to be full of beans and know how to celebrate. They clearly practical jokers too - look at the press conference interruption. Chavs? Well, I'd rather that sense of fun than the behaviour of our leaders at the Bullingdon club.

Anyhow, when people look back, it's likely that the winning goal will be the remembered one: "Was that the one where a player took her shirt off?". But Ella Toone's goal was the more skillful and deserves to be remembered. She had a second, if that, before the defender would have flattened her. She instinctively weighted the ball perfectly, both to clear the onrushing goalie but to get under the bar. No mean feat, or feet, for the margin on error was tiny, especially under pressure.

Such small margins overall. Remember earlier there was a melee in front of our goal from which they nearly scored, but Leah Williamson cleared off the line? A similar melee in front of their goal and Chloe Kelly scored.
You could hardly get a fag packet between the two teams and it made for an exciting match.

Arb.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » August 1st, 2022, 6:27 pm

I've noticed this...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62376808

I obviously not alone in thinking this was a fun moment, not to be despised, or dismissed by killjoys.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 1st, 2022, 8:03 pm

I read today they shoud receive honours
OH COME ON
What for.... 9 hours of playing football
(sorry I forgot to include the 2 lots of 30mins extra time)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 1st, 2022, 8:07 pm

pje16 wrote:I read today they shoud receive honours
OH COME ON

Even Beckham was knighted and he can barely string together a coherent sentence.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 1st, 2022, 8:31 pm

Lootman wrote:
OH COME ON

Even Beckham was knighted and he can barely string together a coherent sentence.

Not that I would have knighted him but 115 caps is getting for twice as many than all the caps the Lionesses won between them for the Euros :lol:

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 1st, 2022, 9:06 pm

OH COME ON

Paul Collingwood famously got an OBE for scoring 17 runs and taking one catch at the Oval.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 1st, 2022, 9:09 pm

whereas i think she was about to do so ... then waited to see if the goal stood eg not deemed offside ... and then when it was clear the goal DID stand ... the rest is history.

didds

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”