Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Manchester United

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Dod101
The full Lemon

Manchester United

Postby Dod101 » August 23rd, 2022, 8:08 am

Man United beat who?

Dod

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Re: Manchester United

Postby Gerry557 » August 23rd, 2022, 8:26 am

Dod, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Still its an improvement over the last couple of results. I didn't see the match unfortunately but there was some of Man Utd of old apparently in there.

It will be for nowt though if they don't win the next one. Still getting one over a rival always goes down well with the fans. Can we dream of doing the double, a meaning somewhat deminished of late.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 23rd, 2022, 8:35 am

Gerry557 wrote:Dod, one swallow doesn't make a summer.

Still its an improvement over the last couple of results. I didn't see the match unfortunately but there was some of Man Utd of old apparently in there.

It will be for nowt though if they don't win the next one. Still getting one over a rival always goes down well with the fans. Can we dream of doing the double, a meaning somewhat deminished of late.

Indeed but they have to start somewhere. I did not see it either but it sounds as though they were pretty much in control for much of the game. It should give all of the players (and the manager) a glimpse of what might be. I think Ronaldo ought to go. They should never have brought him back. Trying to turn the clock back does not usually work.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » August 23rd, 2022, 8:49 am

Shame on them for not trying until they play Liverpool, who let's not forget are winless so far in the league this season

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » August 23rd, 2022, 8:54 am

Imagine how much pressure there would have been on the Glazers this morning had Liverpool won...

In football, long-term objectives sometimes take priority over shorter ones...

Glazers In, Glazers In....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » August 23rd, 2022, 9:42 am

Itsallaguess wrote:Imagine how much pressure there would have been on the Glazers this morning had Liverpool won...

In football, long-term objectives sometimes take priority over shorter ones...

Glazers In, Glazers In....

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Indeed. We Manchester United fans were in something of a win-win situation last night.

Lose (or draw) and the pressure on the Glazers increases.

Win and we've beaten Liverpool.

The pressure on the Glazers isn't going to ease off any time soon. More attention has been drawn to their mismanagement, in particular the debt we've been saddled with (and how much money has been siphoned from the club to service the debt). After years of ignoring what the Glazers have done, Sky Sports are now taking the side of Manchester United's fans. Sky have realised that without a half decent Manchester United team, their TV rights aren't worth anything like what they've paid.

Bidders are starting to appear on the scene. Fan groups are pushing in all directions, in particular pressurising sponsors (Hut Group cancelled a £200 million training kit sponsorship deal last year because of fan pressure).

https://www.business-live.co.uk/retail-consumer/hut-group-pulls-out-200m-20561315

Manchester United's market capitalisation is $2.23 billion at last nights closing price, and given the price that was paid for Chelsea that looks cheap even allowing for our debts, that Old Trafford is falling apart and the high level of waste at the club. The Glazers don't want to sell at that price. Seeing as how Chelsea sold for $5.2 billion I reckon that for patient investors the shares are a steal at the current price.

I bought a couple of thousand shares last week the day before Elon Musk tweeted about buying us. That was great publicity, even though he later said he was joking.

Manchester United. Hated, adored, never ignored

CryptoPlankton
Lemon Slice

Postby CryptoPlankton » August 23rd, 2022, 12:09 pm

Dod101 wrote: I did not see it either but it sounds as though they were pretty much in control for much of the game.

I saw nearly all of it (as a neutral) and I have to say that wasn't the impression I got, which seems to be backed up by the stats:

Possession: Liverpool 70%, United 30%
Shots (on target): Liverpool 17 (5), United 12 (4)
Corners: Liverpool 8, United 6

Not great stats for a home team - though the score is all that really matters!

Despite that, Liverpool still seem to be struggling to fire on all cylinders. I would say that the most impressive thing about United was the distinct resurgence in committment and teamwork, and credit to the manager for that. Although I think they deserved the win, they will need to get much better to compete consistently against the top teams. My early impression of Liverpool is that they look a little blunted without Sadio Mane, but they've got over the loss of fantastic forwards before...

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » August 23rd, 2022, 12:17 pm

CryptoPlankton wrote:
Dod101 wrote: I did not see it either but it sounds as though they were pretty much in control for much of the game.

I saw nearly all of it (as a neutral) and I have to say that wasn't the impression I got, which seems to be backed up by the stats:

Despite that, Liverpool still seem to be struggling to fire on all cylinders. I would say that the most impressive thing about United was the distinct resurgence in committment and teamwork. Although I think they deserved the win for that, they will need to get better to compete consistently against the top teams. My early impression of Liverpool is that they look a little blunted without Sadio Mane, but they've got over the loss of fantastic forwards before...

I agree with all of that. Plus points for United were that they have found a very good young left back in Malacia. Martinez had a much better game at centre half than vs Brentford and Brighton because he didn't have to play up against a big mobile centre forward. Things could have been very different if Nunez was playing because both Wellbeck and Toney trampled all over him like he wasn't there. He is not big enough to play at centre half in the Premier League and it will happen again. I think the problems at United have been very overhyped and they will do alright once the players adapt to the new manager and his tactics, and they get rid of the big egos in the dressing room.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » August 23rd, 2022, 4:46 pm

simoan wrote:
CryptoPlankton wrote:

Despite that, Liverpool still seem to be struggling to fire on all cylinders. I would say that the most impressive thing about United was the distinct resurgence in committment and teamwork. Although I think they deserved the win for that, they will need to get better to compete consistently against the top teams. My early impression of Liverpool is that they look a little blunted without Sadio Mane, but they've got over the loss of fantastic forwards before...

I agree with all of that. Plus points for United were that they have found a very good young left back in Malacia. Martinez had a much better game at centre half than vs Brentford and Brighton because he didn't have to play up against a big mobile centre forward. Things could have been very different if Nunez was playing because both Wellbeck and Toney trampled all over him like he wasn't there. He is not big enough to play at centre half in the Premier League and it will happen again. I think the problems at United have been very overhyped and they will do alright once the players adapt to the new manager and his tactics, and they get rid of the big egos in the dressing room.

And are they who I think they are?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » September 5th, 2022, 3:23 pm

Well, well, well. Four wins on the trot, including [expletive deleted] * who played their usual style of pretty football and then got hit on the break (just like we used to do to them in Fergie's day). And to top it all we benefited from a VAR disallowed goal that had the pundits clutching at straws in a desperate attempt to prove that Odergaard got the ball fairly, which he did if you ignore the push, the knee and that he didn't actually touch the ball at any time.

The sound of ABU boiling piss throughout the land is music to our ears. Hated, adored but never ignored.

Anyway, to investment matters. The bid rumours have started again, with talk of the Glazers being happy with £3.75 billion and Dubai being interested. There are 163 million shares issued, so with the current share price of $13.47 (the NYSE is closed today for Labor Day) that's about $2.2 billion before adding a bit for the votes attaching to the Glazers' shares. Lets say a 20% premium for the votes, so that's roughly £2.3 billion.

IMHO that's an interesting special situation. It could all be BS, but I'm fairly certain that the owners are gauging the level of interest amongst prospective buyers. I wouldn't be surprised if Manchester United ends up being sold for around the same price as Chelsea, even though Manchester United is a more valuable name, because of the debts that the Glazers have piled upon the club, the increasingly rundown state of Old Trafford stadium and the way that the club has been mismanaged over the last decade.

It looks a bit like Manchester United is being "fattened up" for a sale. Money has been thrown at the transfer market to buy who the manager wants, rather than the previous administration's policy of buying "big names" preferably with lots of social media presence instead of players that the manager wanted to fit into the team.

Gary Neville reckoned that only two of the 33 transfers since Fergie left and before Ten Hag arrived could be deemed to be a success. I reckon that under Ten Hag we're four from four with Casemiro going on to become the fifth sucess once he gets enough game time (the sixth signing, Dubravka, is a backup goalkeeper).

* [expletive deleted] is the club otherwise known as "The Gunners". The website's profanity filter didn't like [expletive deleted]. But Scunthorpe gets through :D

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » September 5th, 2022, 4:15 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:Well, well, well. Four wins on the trot, :D

Ronaldo ?

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » September 6th, 2022, 5:52 pm

Manchester United shares are up 8.5% today as I type this. Several American websites have reported on the bid rumours.

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3880413-manchester-united-climbs-on-report-glazer-family-looking-for-375b-in-sale

As to the aftermath of beating [expletive deleted] * 3-1, it's great to see many ABU pundits still frothing at the mouth regarding [expletive deleted]'s "goal" as well as banging on about Martinez's height whilst ignoring how good he is (Maguire isn't first choice now, TFFT)

The quality of football punditry remains dire when compared to cricket and rugby; lots of them clearly don't know all of the laws of the game and they certainly don't keep up with any changes and UEFA/FIFA guidance.

* [expletive deleted] is the side known as "The Gunners".

This reminds me of the old quiz question "name three football league teams with swear words in their name". [expletive deleted] *, Scunthorpe and Manchester [expletive deleted] United

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 5th, 2023, 7:40 pm

Good to see the old MUFC back and equalling old records.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 5th, 2023, 8:16 pm

BobbyD wrote:Good to see the old MUFC back and equalling old records.

why didn't Fernandez get a red card for pushing the linesman

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » March 5th, 2023, 8:18 pm

7-0 .....6$bn ??

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 5th, 2023, 8:53 pm

pje16 wrote:

Well he's guaranteed a razzie after that performance falling to the floor clutching his face. Shaw kneeing a seated Nunez in the back was an obvious card as well.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 5th, 2023, 8:55 pm

scotview wrote:

7-0 .....6$bn ??

7-0

Slightly disappointing result, one more goal to be their all time worst result. They'd probably have thrown their next match 9-0 just to rob us of the record!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Postby Gerry557 » March 6th, 2023, 11:09 am

BobbyD wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Well he's guaranteed a razzie after that performance falling to the floor clutching his face. Shaw kneeing a seated Nunez in the back was an obvious card as well.

No eye gouging and hits below the belt! So it's fine then isn't it :shock:

On a more serious note did the managers chat to the fans prevent the wrong sort of chanting. I didn't see the match or the highlights or is that lowlights from my prospective.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 6th, 2023, 11:54 am

Gerry557 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
pje16 wrote:

On a more serious note did the managers chat to the fans prevent the wrong sort of chanting. I didn't see the match or the highlights or is that lowlights from my prospective.

Utd have a lot more to worry about and be ashamed of than words from the terraces

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 6th, 2023, 12:19 pm

Gerry557 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
pje16 wrote:

Didn't hear anything, but then I didn't hear much from United fans!. Certainly nothing like the Europa League game I was at where the bilk of yhe away support spent the entire 90 minutes turned towards my seat chanting 'murderers' and 'the sun was right'. Liverpool fans responded with 'Fergies right your fans are shite' and a song about hiw there was a sewer leak in the middle of Manchester. UEFA fined both clubs as a result...

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”