Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

CPFC

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

CPFC

Postby Leothebear » January 7th, 2023, 4:56 pm

Patrick Viera's honeymoon is well and truly over. Palace's 3rd consecutive home defeat, this time to bottom of the table Saints and the alarm bells are beginning.

Four really tough matches coming up and unless there's a marked impprovement, that could easily mean 4 more defeats. They are currently, arguably the worst team in the PL.

All this is nothing new to Palace fans whose 8 straight seasons in the PL have rarely been without some measure of relegation worry.
However the good form of similar sized teams such as Fulham, Brentford and B&HA rather rubs our noses in it.

Poor PV has a job on his hands. Palace desperately need their defence and midfield bolstering but funds do not seem to be forthcoming. He has to make do with what's available.

Fans getting a little disenchanted with old old promises of an improved stadium - it's a khazi - never coming to fruition. Their much admired academy, yet to bring forth serious talent. Now the nosedive in form. Oh well it's Palace isn't it.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: CPFC

Postby dealtn » January 8th, 2023, 2:57 pm

Leothebear wrote: Their much admired academy, yet to bring forth serious talent. Now the nosedive in form. Oh well it's Palace isn't it.

Wilfried Zaha? Aaron Wan-Bissaka? Tyrick Mitchell? That's just playing today. Go back further and you find dozens of internationals including the current England Manager.

What exactly are you looking for out of an Academy. There are 19 other clubs in the Premiership so how would you rank Crystal Palace's "output" against the competition?

Adamski
Lemon Quarter

Postby Adamski » January 8th, 2023, 3:10 pm

Crystal Palce have got an advantage of being a London club, has helped and will help attract star foreign players. Likes of

Sheffield Utd, Sunderland, West Brom, Stoke Middlesbrough

All big clubs but can't attract the same players.

In fact long list of fallen giants in the Championship.

Count your blessings :)

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 8th, 2023, 5:45 pm

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote: Their much admired academy, yet to bring forth serious talent. Now the nosedive in form. Oh well it's Palace isn't it.

Wilfried Zaha? Aaron Wan-Bissaka? Tyrick Mitchell? That's just playing today. Go back further and you find dozens of internationals including the current England Manager.

What exactly are you looking for out of an Academy. There are 19 other clubs in the Premiership so how would you rank Crystal Palace's "output" against the competition?

Well Wilf is 30, AWB has long gone and Tyrick Mitchell started at the Brentford academy. It's now that Palace could really do with a strong midfielder and defender. Yes the academy has produced talent, perhaps it's asking too much to expect a talent when you need it.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » January 8th, 2023, 6:48 pm

Leothebear wrote: Their much admired academy, yet to bring forth serious talent.

Leothebear wrote: Yes the academy has produced talent

No wonder its difficult understanding what you are arguing. I guess our disagreement is on what is considered "serious"?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 9th, 2023, 7:11 am

Oh dear let's just say I wasn't speaking historically - should have added "recently" to be clear.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 9th, 2023, 3:36 pm

Since PV arrived the football they are playing is a revelation compared to the dark days of Woy. I don't understand what has changed lately, but it's still early in the season. It's a shame you couldn't, or didn't want to hold on to Conor Gallagher.

I know it's fashionable to be impatient with managers but I do think PV is a good coach and may well turn things around. So I wouldn't panic if I were you, 12th place in the Premier League is no disgrace, although as a BH&A supporter for over 50 years I have mixed feelings :lol:

MM

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 10th, 2023, 12:22 pm

MaraMan wrote:Since PV arrived the football they are playing is a revelation compared to the dark days of Woy. I don't understand what has changed lately, but it's still early in the season. It's a shame you couldn't, or didn't want to hold on to Conor Gallagher.

I know it's fashionable to be impatient with managers but I do think PV is a good coach and may well turn things around. So I wouldn't panic if I were you, 12th place in the Premier League is no disgrace, although as a BH&A supporter for over 50 years I have mixed feelings :lol:

MM

Oh no - I'm not in the sack PV camp. IMO he can only play the cards with the cards dealt. I'm sure he'd love to buy 2 or 3 new players but CP are not a wealthy club. As for Conor yes he is sorely missed but he's a Chelsea man not just contractually but in heart too. I suppose he must have enjoyed being a big fish in the Palace pond compared to being average in Chelsea's which may be a persuasive factor.

B&HA's stellar season! You must think it's a dream!

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 10th, 2023, 12:33 pm

Leothebear wrote:
MaraMan wrote:Since PV arrived the football they are playing is a revelation compared to the dark days of Woy. I don't understand what has changed lately, but it's still early in the season. It's a shame you couldn't, or didn't want to hold on to Conor Gallagher.

MM

Oh no - I'm not in the sack PV camp. IMO he can only play the cards with the cards dealt. I'm sure he'd love to buy 2 or 3 new players but CP are not a wealthy club. As for Conor yes he is sorely missed but he's a Chelsea man not just contractually but in heart too. I suppose he must have enjoyed being a big fish in the Palace pond compared to being average in Chelsea's which may be a persuasive factor.

B&HA's stellar season! You must think it's a dream!

Yes the style of football and the quality of players is the best it has ever been. Off the pitch though I think we are one of the best run football clubs, recruitment of players (and replacing Potter) has been outstanding. We have lost three key players and a successful manager but are still getting better. De Zerbi seems to have been an inspired choice to replace Potter.

The club has come a long way since Tony Bloom took over.

MM

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » January 15th, 2023, 11:18 am

Congrats to Seagulls for, these days, a not unexpected win over Liverpool. Joy at the Amex. Still managed only 3rd on MOTD I see!

Huge game (aren't they all?) at the Bridge today. Two out of form sides clash. A Palace win, however unlikely, would possibly be a final nail in Mr Potter's coffin. A Chelsea win, especially a big win, will see panic at Selhurst and a dragging, growing doubt in PV's ability. A lot on the line today.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 15th, 2023, 4:10 pm

It was a great game for the seagulls. MOTD has rarely given any time or good words for the gulls, they are only interested in the big teams or Lineker's teams.

Bad luck for Palace, I couldn't watch it but it sounded like a close match. I think Potter is safer than most people realise. Time will tell but I think they will give him the time he needs to transform Chelsea.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 21st, 2023, 8:24 am

oh dear
what a statement of the bleedin' obvious
"Our sole objective now is to start winning matches - Hodgson"
8:19
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/65023248

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 21st, 2023, 11:29 am

A desperate move from Parish. I suppose nobody else would want the poison chalice. CPFC rather a joke at the moment.

"What do we need? - GOALS" Royball the sure way to get them!

The last 9 teams separated by 4 points. Palace(12th) are 11 adrift of Villa(11th). Perm any 3 from 9.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 21st, 2023, 1:13 pm

If Hodgson and Everton both avoid relegation its going to have been a very disappointing season.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » March 21st, 2023, 2:45 pm

This is crazy stuff by Palace. I say this as a lifelong Brighton supporter.

MM

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » March 21st, 2023, 2:55 pm

BobbyD wrote:If Hodgson and Everton both avoid relegation its going to have been a very disappointing season.

Well I can understand that sentiment. CPFC's contribution in recent years has hardly been a ray of sunshine for the PL and MOTD. So I think your view is not a rare one. I just hope and pray we don't follow the Charton/Wigan/Ipswich/Derby/Pompey downward spiral.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » March 21st, 2023, 2:56 pm

BobbyD wrote:If Hodgson and Everton both avoid relegation its going to have been a very disappointing season.

I don't hate Everton as much as you do, and I think that the city of Liverpool should have 2 premier league teams, even if one is clearly much better than the other. :D

But if Palace, Southampton and the Hammers go down, I am comfortable with that.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » March 21st, 2023, 3:00 pm

Lootman wrote:

Oh no. not the Hammers
everyone's 2nd fav team I thought.

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Postby BobbyD » March 21st, 2023, 3:12 pm

Leothebear wrote:

Well I can understand that sentiment. CPFC's contribution in recent years has hardly been a ray of sunshine for the PL and MOTD. So I think your view is not a rare one. I just hope and pray we don't follow the Charton/Wigan/Ipswich/Derby/Pompey downward spiral.

Actually Palace put up a gritty performance against us often enough that I have a bit of time for them, but Hodgson must be relegated!

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Postby dionaeamuscipula » March 22nd, 2023, 9:08 am

pje16 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Oh no. not the Hammers
everyone's 2nd fav team I thought.

Thought wrong.

:|

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”