Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron,jfgw, for Donating to support the site

Andy Murray

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Andy Murray

Postby ReformedCharacter » January 19th, 2023, 5:39 pm

Just watched Andy Murray in action against Thanasi Kokkinakis in the Australian Open. He won from 2 sets down, he won his last match from 2 sets down. It was the longest match he has ever played and the second longest at a slam. And he has a resurfaced hip. What a fantastic achievement and example of determination against the odds.

RC

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Andy Murray

Postby kiloran » January 19th, 2023, 5:56 pm

ReformedCharacter wrote:Just watched Andy Murray in action against Thanasi Kokkinakis in the Australian Open. He won from 2 sets down, he won his last match from 2 sets down. It was the longest match he has ever played and the second longest at a slam. And he has a resurfaced hip. What a fantastic achievement and example of determination against the odds.

RC

And the match finished around 4am! Madness :shock:

--kiloran

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 19th, 2023, 8:36 pm

kiloran wrote:
ReformedCharacter wrote:Just watched Andy Murray in action against Thanasi Kokkinakis in the Australian Open. He won from 2 sets down, he won his last match from 2 sets down. It was the longest match he has ever played and the second longest at a slam. And he has a resurfaced hip. What a fantastic achievement and example of determination against the odds.

RC

And the match finished around 4am! Madness :shock:

--kiloran

I thought he looked a bit off during the first half of the second set last night so I packed it in and went to bed - what's the opposite of jinxing someone :)

His game against Berrettini was the first time I'd watched a first to 10 tie break - that in itself seemed to take forever.

I hope he gets a good bit further, especially since it was the Australian Open that seemed to retire him to his surprise before his surgery, but mostly as the missus doesn't have Rafa to cheer for anymore (and she's recovered from being baked during his first round match - we've learned to try and avoid the south side of Rod Laver Arena on a hot day!)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 19th, 2023, 9:28 pm

In Aussie land the sun always confuses me.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 19th, 2023, 10:01 pm

Dod101 wrote:In Aussie land the sun always confuses me.

Dod

It's the big firey ball in the sky a bit to the north - I guess that side must be warmer than the one facing Scotland ;)

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » January 19th, 2023, 10:50 pm

I saw that the match STARTED at 2220 local time or so...

whats the thought here - start that late and always play to the end ? Was it perceived as an easy 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 to one of them and the match would be done by midnight?

basically - WTF is it about starting so late and just keeping going untuil "whenever" ?

upfdate: seems it is
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/64339932

This dopesnt happen at wimbledon - so is this because local by laws prevent bright lights at midnight into SW19 suburban windows?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 20th, 2023, 7:34 am

servodude wrote:

Dod

It's the big firey ball in the sky a bit to the north - I guess that side must be warmer than the one facing Scotland ;)

Nothing to do with Andy Murray but I cam out of my hotel in Perth WA on I think my second visit there and confidently walked to what I thought was the city centre only to find my self in a nice suburb. I realised that I had followed the sun in accordance with its position in the Northern hemisphere. The locals were very helpful and directed me to a suitable bus.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 20th, 2023, 8:42 am

Dod101 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Dod

Nothing to do with Andy Murray but I cam out of my hotel in Perth WA on I think my second visit there and confidently walked to what I thought was the city centre only to find my self in a nice suburb. I realised that I had followed the sun in accordance with its position in the Northern hemisphere. The locals were very helpful and directed me to a suitable bus.

Dod

I'm like that with rivers (probably given the time I spent in Glasgow as a kid) - which means I need to be careful in Melbourne and London given the twists

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 20th, 2023, 8:58 am

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Dod

Dod

I'm like that with rivers (probably given the time I spent in Glasgow as a kid) - which means I need to be careful in Melbourne and London given the twists

Anyways back to Andy.. we've just got tickets to his match tomorrow. :)

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 20th, 2023, 10:14 am

He was on the wireless this morning being very annoyed that he wasn't allowed a toilet break in 5 hours... sounded proper peed off.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 20th, 2023, 10:21 am

88V8 wrote:He was on the wireless this morning being very annoyed that he wasn't allowed a toilet break in 5 hours... sounded proper peed off.

V8

He was allowed one... he had it, but they don't make concessions for "going again".
They really should accept that sometimes these matches run on.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » January 20th, 2023, 12:50 pm

servodude wrote:
88V8 wrote:He was on the wireless this morning being very annoyed that he wasn't allowed a toilet break in 5 hours... sounded proper peed off.

He was allowed one... he had it, but they don't make concessions for "going again".
They really should accept that sometimes these matches run on.

Yeah, just heard more fully about it, apparently they are not allowed a break from the 4th set on.This is presumably a clumsy response to players taking too many / too long breaks.
Maybe he could have peed into an empty bottle.

V8

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 22nd, 2023, 7:36 am

servodude wrote:
servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Dod

Dod

Well that was fun.

Thought Andy looked like the walking dead for the first set; barely moving between shots - but fair enough he's been like that forever!

Otherwise some great tennis, and an amazing atmosphere!

Fair play to Bautista-Agut he was hitting the shots that mattered when they were needed - and deserved the win

And I got home before 1am (picking up the 15 year old from an 18th birthday party on the way - and the older one fell in at 3:30am after hanging about at the tennis on her ground pass with pals)

Did I mention how good the atmosphere was? Margaret Court Arena is a brilliant size (compared to the bigger Rod Laver where we saw Nadal on Monday)
- just a shame that from now on the prices move in to the range where is more about being seen at the tennis than seeing the tennis :(
-sd

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 22nd, 2023, 8:01 am

servodude wrote:
servodude wrote:
servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
servodude wrote:

Dod

Well that was fun.

Thought Andy looked like the walking dead for the first set; barely moving between shots - but fair enough he's been like that forever!

Otherwise some great tennis, and an amazing atmosphere!

Fair play to Bautista-Agut he was hitting the shots that mattered when they were needed - and deserved the win

And I got home before 1am (picking up the 15 year old from an 18th birthday party on the way - and the older one fell in at 3:30am after hanging about at the tennis on her ground pass with pals)

Did I mention how good the atmosphere was? Margaret Court Arena is a brilliant size (compared to the bigger Rod Laver where we saw Nadal on Monday)
- just a shame that from now on the prices move in to the range where is more about being seen at the tennis than seeing the tennis :(
-sd

I know exactly where you are and presumably the weather is good as well. Feel quite jealous!

I dare say Murray was still recovering from his middle of the night marathon. It all seems very unfair to put the players through that and then expect them to be at their best say 36 hours or so later.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » January 22nd, 2023, 9:28 am

Dod101 wrote:I dare say Murray was still recovering from his middle of the night marathon. It all seems very unfair to put the players through that and then expect them to be at their best say 36 hours or so later.

That's true and also literally the luck of the draw with tennis
- it's always a reverse handicap to favour the more favoured players
Still it's been a great tournament so far - that's 3 times this week I've been and managed to miss most of the rain!

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”