Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

The English Premiership run in

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
dubre
2 Lemon pips

Re: The English Premiership run in

Postby dubre » May 22nd, 2023, 4:55 pm

The trouble is that we do care and we know that the chances of our respective clubs ever winning the league again are vanishingly small, short of a takeover by the likes of the Man City and Newcastle owners. Do state owned clubs care where the money comes from?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 22nd, 2023, 5:44 pm

simoan wrote:
dubre wrote:unless you are not so picky about where the owners of these " smaller " clubs got their money from:

Brentford gambling/ hedge funds?

Brighton gambling?

Perhaps no need to hold the nose so tightly?

It’s not where the money comes from. If you go down that road you can write off pretty much all professional sport. However, governments should not be owning football clubs. But it’s all about money now and the corruption that comes with it. The Premier League is weak and should not have allowed the Newcastle takeover. Financial Fair Play is a joke and City will get off purely because they can afford the most expensive lawyers. The last people that matter these days are the fans who are treated like absolute mugs. That’s why I don’t care any more.

All of which surely makes Fergie's team winning the treble all the more remarkable irrespective of where Man City goes this year.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 24th, 2023, 7:17 am

Dod101 wrote:
simoan wrote:It’s not where the money comes from. If you go down that road you can write off pretty much all professional sport. However, governments should not be owning football clubs. But it’s all about money now and the corruption that comes with it. The Premier League is weak and should not have allowed the Newcastle takeover. Financial Fair Play is a joke and City will get off purely because they can afford the most expensive lawyers. The last people that matter these days are the fans who are treated like absolute mugs. That’s why I don’t care any more.

All of which surely makes Fergie's team winning the treble all the more remarkable irrespective of where Man City goes this year.

Dod

While I'd never deny Fergie's achievement, back in that day no teams were backed by by sugar-daddy multi-billionaires.
Leo

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » May 24th, 2023, 7:30 am

Leothebear wrote:
Dod101 wrote:

Dod

While I'd never deny Fergie's achievement, back in that day no teams were backed by by sugar-daddy multi-billionaires.
Leo

That was really my point if comparing Man City's undoubted achievements this year compared to United's then. In fact in some ways, United's team was 'on the cheap'. I appreciate that that works both ways in that the domestic competition at least may have been less well funded in general at that time, but all the same.....

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » May 24th, 2023, 8:17 am

Dod101 wrote:
Leothebear wrote:While I'd never deny Fergie's achievement, back in that day no teams were backed by by sugar-daddy multi-billionaires.

That was really my point if comparing Man City's undoubted achievements this year compared to United's then. In fact in some ways, United's team was 'on the cheap'. I appreciate that that works both ways in that the domestic competition at least may have been less well funded in general at that time, but all the same.....

Or Liverpool before that. Or any team from the 1960s or before.

But from the point of view of spectators, isn't it also great to see the best players on the planet playing in the English league, rather than overseas? Ultimately don't you want to see skill and excellence? And that takes money.

Whilst hardly any of the top British players work overseas. Probably only Bellingham at the moment.

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » May 24th, 2023, 9:38 am

There's no doubt about it, the English Premier League is the best to watch - even though the title has been settled this weekend it's all eyes on the diddy teams at the bottom who are in a three way fight to stay up. And then you have the Championship teams straining to be promoted. It's fascinating stuff at times.

Money is the driver for all of this, no doubt. And why would the top English players go abroad when they can enjoy all this?

FWIW, I've dipped in and out of various European Leagues. Spain used to be kind of interesting for 2 or three matches a year when Real Madrid had the full Galactico (Beckham, Zidane, the real Ronaldo etc) line up and Barcelona could give them a game.

....And I've tried to watch Paris Street German in recent times but French domestic football is so dull. Italy, well you never know if the result has been pre arranged or not and in Germany they do try. But it's really Bayern Munich's league.

Lets face it, all that Arab loose change was always going to end up somewhere.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » May 24th, 2023, 9:47 am

Tedx wrote: it's all eyes on the diddy teams at the bottom who are in a three way fight to stay up.

lovin' the phrase diddy teams
not sure Evertonians would agree :lol:

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » May 28th, 2023, 4:39 pm

Looks like Leicester to go down with Leeds and Saints but ...if the Cherries pull off a surprise at Everton? The Fat Lady still sings......

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”