Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Football as a TV spectator sport - what do you think?

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.

Most games are a yawnfest
33%
Most games I enjoy watching
22%
I never watch football on TV
19%
I watch it regularly and hope for an entertaining game.
19%
Other - please specify
7%

Total votes: 27

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 8th, 2023, 2:10 pm

In another thread I suggest that most televised football is, especially for neutrals, overrated and often not a very entertaing spectacle.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Re: Football as a TV spectator sport - what do you think?

Postby simoan » June 8th, 2023, 2:25 pm

Leothebear wrote:In another thread I suggest that most televised football is, especially for neutrals, overrated and often not a very entertaing spectacle.

The problem is there’s too much football on TV these days, so you need to be selective. Cup finals are very rarely great games, but this Americanised idea you need lots of goals is nonsense. The two 0-0 finals between Chelsea and Liverpool last year were both really exciting to watch (and I write that as a neutral).

I just watch teams that play good football and avoid the dross. That means I’ve not even watched my own team for 3 years! I really enjoyed watching Brighton last season.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » June 8th, 2023, 2:30 pm

simoan wrote: this Americanised idea you need lots of goals is nonsense. The two 0-0 finals between Chelsea and Liverpool last year were both really exciting to watch (and I write that as a neutral).

But even us Brits would probably prefer a 4-4 draw to a 0-0 draw.

Unless you are the special one anyway.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 8th, 2023, 2:47 pm

Lootman wrote:
simoan wrote: this Americanised idea you need lots of goals is nonsense. The two 0-0 finals between Chelsea and Liverpool last year were both really exciting to watch (and I write that as a neutral).

But even us Brits would probably prefer a 4-4 draw to a 0-0 draw.

Unless you are the special one anyway.

If it’s 4-4 then it probably means you have two rubbish defences. The score doesn’t bother me or detract from a game where defenders have played well or a goalkeeper has made 10 saves. Whilst I watch live matches, I never watch goal highlights and dislike MOTD for that reason. Seeing goals outside the context of the whole game is just for people with short attention spans that don’t really like football IMHO.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » June 8th, 2023, 3:20 pm

I like the football but hate the inane commentary. One commentator is bad enough but two is totally overwhelming. For some reason the two commentators for Scottish matches are even worse, constant worthless chat without pause for breath. I tend to watch with the sound muted.
Oh for the days of Kenneth Wolstenholme.

--kiloran

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » June 8th, 2023, 3:44 pm

I rarely watch full matches on TV (MotD remains as great a format as ever it has, but you don't catch the emergence of good players by watching highlights), but watch tournament games and big domestic/Euro games. I'd expect to get maybe 3 or 4 good games out of 10 if I watched.

The problem with poor football is that it's very poor. I find it much easier to watch poor rugby than poor football.

Having said the above, we have been treated in the last couple of years with some great matches in the Euro and World Cups, both finals in particular.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » June 8th, 2023, 4:43 pm

Not sure how relevant my expereince is but heer's my 2p...

A few weeks ago i attended my first ;live football game for something like 25 or even more years. I had a cracking afternoon, with the home team in the relegation zone beating an opposition who were fighting for a promotion place. What on reflection I thought was that for pro footballers (albeit not the premiership!) there was basically an awful lot of first-touch-hoof-it-in-the-air in defence and midfield. Whether you think that is poor or good I'll leave to those that understand a lot more about football than i do ;-)

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » June 8th, 2023, 4:55 pm

I have Sky Sports and BT Sports and it isn't cheap. I like watching the FA Cup from the initial winter matches through to the final, which wasn't very inspiring this year.

Looking forward to Saturday for the European final.

Next will be the UK Open Golf tournaments.

I don't have the football channel which means no Scottish football, no miss there though, anyway BBC or Youtube have the main Scottish matches.

Don't have the cricket channel.

All in all pay a lot of dosh but don't grudge it one bit.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 8th, 2023, 10:27 pm

kiloran wrote:I like the football but hate the inane commentary. One commentator is bad enough but two is totally overwhelming. For some reason the two commentators for Scottish matches are even worse, constant worthless chat without pause for breath. I tend to watch with the sound muted.
Oh for the days of Kenneth Wolstenholme.

--kiloran

But when you're at a game in person you'll hear some of the most insane inane nonsense it's possible for your lugs to process for the duration of the match... so it kind of has its place.
Why they do it over tennis broadcasts is what I can't understand!?

But as a Buddie most broadcast games would probably have me classified as a neutral; and the ones where I'm not we're 10:1 in for a drubbing :(

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 10th, 2023, 3:28 pm

I find watching football on TV very difficult. It is so different to being there, which is my job! All the matches involving my team that have been broadcast live I was at the stadium. They were recorded but I can only recall watching one on TV afterwards, and that was to see how they reported on my team before, during and afterwards. The game, as broadcast, rarely felt like it represented what I had watched for myself.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 10th, 2023, 5:36 pm

dealtn wrote:I find watching football on TV very difficult. It is so different to being there, which is my job! All the matches involving my team that have been broadcast live I was at the stadium. They were recorded but I can only recall watching one on TV afterwards, and that was to see how they reported on my team before, during and afterwards. The game, as broadcast, rarely felt like it represented what I had watched for myself.

It goes without saying that nothing beats going to games although the subject of the thread still applies. The banter is so much better than listening to the inanities the TV commentators and pundits come out with (Roy Keane excepted!).

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 10th, 2023, 5:46 pm

I think we all agree you can't replicate the atmosphere and experience of being in the stadium. But I maintain as a TV spectacle it more often than not falls short.

Be interesting to see if tonight's match lives up to expectations.

elkay
Lemon Slice

Postby elkay » June 10th, 2023, 5:47 pm

simoan wrote:
dealtn wrote:I find watching football on TV very difficult. It is so different to being there, which is my job! All the matches involving my team that have been broadcast live I was at the stadium. They were recorded but I can only recall watching one on TV afterwards, and that was to see how they reported on my team before, during and afterwards. The game, as broadcast, rarely felt like it represented what I had watched for myself.

It goes without saying that nothing beats going to games although the subject of the thread still applies. The banter is so much better than listening to the inanities the TV commentators and pundits come out with (Roy Keane excepted!).

I prefer the inanities to the profanities that detract from the experience at most games I have been to. Commonly from home supporters close to the away end, or from anywhere in the ground directed at the match officials.

And Roy Keane is the one pundit that encourages me to change channels.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » June 10th, 2023, 5:50 pm

simoan wrote:

Commentators I view differently and it is a truly difficult job. I got to know John Motson well and he was truly class as a professional (as are others). Punditry is difficult as essentially this is "entertainment" for TV in the eyes of many viewers (and thus for broadcasters too). There are many genuinely knowledgeable pundits, but difficult for them to find that niche of being both knowledgeable and likeable. Many of the best in the former camp are really not suited to mainstream TV. I have had many an interesting discussion with well known, and lesser known, pundits either before or after their work (from boardrooms to boot rooms), often hugely different to their TV personas. Such is showbiz vs real life I suspect.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”