Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to lansdown,Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08, for Donating to support the site

Champions League

Please create a thread for your favourite topic.
Dod101
The full Lemon

Champions League

Postby Dod101 » June 10th, 2023, 10:05 pm

The cheating financial team called Manchester City have one the Champions League. Man U won the table first and nothing can change that and they did it with no challenge to their integrity financial or otherwise.

Dod

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Champions League

Postby Leothebear » June 11th, 2023, 7:01 am

Dod101 wrote:The cheating financial team called Manchester City have one the Champions League. Man U won the table first and nothing can change that and they did it with no challenge to their integrity financial or otherwise.

Dod

A magnaminous (and typical) response from a ManU supporter.
Leo

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 11th, 2023, 7:54 am

Leothebear wrote:
Dod101 wrote:The cheating financial team called Manchester City have one the Champions League. Man U won the table first and nothing can change that and they did it with no challenge to their integrity financial or otherwise.

Dod

Leo

Absolutely and nothing can change the events of1998/99. Not to say that Man City have not played scintillating football but with more or less unlimited funds they ought to.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 11th, 2023, 8:01 am

Dod

If Manchester Utd had the money they would have done the same as their Manchester counterparts. Apart from the class of 92 Manchester Utd have paid a fortune for players which in my estimation is not a lot different from the policies pursued by Manchester City. Both clubs are as bad as each other.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 11th, 2023, 8:21 am

Well United have never been accused of breaching financial regulations related to the running of the club. Of course any team would buy the best players if they had the money. To get the money they either have to earn it, borrow it or have a rich owner who is prepared to shell out.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 11th, 2023, 9:10 am

Google

"Manchester United Scandal" and go from there!

(monabri, brought up in Openshaw and Gorton so ......)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » June 11th, 2023, 9:43 am

I’m conflicted by what City have done. It’s no good just spending money on players, you need to buy the right players and have a top coach with good man management skills. So it’s not as simple as them having more money. They also use it more effectively - they don’t buy many players each year but they buy very well with few duds, unlike most other big clubs in England.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Postby scotview » June 11th, 2023, 10:08 am

Leothebear wrote:

Dod

Leo

Rather an uncalled for and bitter comment from Dod I thought, considering they've just won the treble.

Thing is, having a nice 65" LG OLED, I'd far, far rather watch Man City playing football than Man United. (Don't support any UK team particularly, so no bias here)

City's football quality and excitement better justifies my Sports subscription(s) whereas Man U are significantly poorer value for money and somewhat shortchanges my not insignificant TV sports investment.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 11th, 2023, 10:44 am

Pep reveals that SAF wished City "Good Luck" before the match. Good for SAF!

Tedx
Lemon Quarter

Postby Tedx » June 11th, 2023, 10:53 am

monabri wrote:Pep reveals that SAF wished City "Good Luck" before the match. Good for SAF!

Hmmm. Are you sure it wasnt 'Hey Pep. Get f*****d'.

The boy Wooney? Oh Pwoud. Vewwy, vewwy pwoud. (Thats my stock SAF impersonation btw You have to hear it to believe it. It's almost Like hes in the womb)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » June 11th, 2023, 12:09 pm

scotview wrote:
Leothebear wrote:
Leo

Rather an uncalled for and bitter comment from Dod I thought, considering they've just won the treble.

Thing is, having a nice 65" LG OLED, I'd far, far rather watch Man City playing football than Man United. (Don't support any UK team particularly, so no bias here)

City's football quality and excitement better justifies my Sports subscription(s) whereas Man U are significantly poorer value for money and somewhat shortchanges my not insignificant TV sports investment.

Quite possibly on all counts. I did try to be a bit more balanced in my post of earlier today.

Re simoan's points, yes I agree you need to be able to do something with all the money and Man City have done that, no doubt substantially on the back of the skills of Pep Guardiola.

Dod

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 11th, 2023, 12:19 pm

Further to my earlier post the following is telling:

Pep Guardiola has taken a swipe at Manchester City's critics by joking that Manchester United went six years without a trophy before their Carabao Cup triumph because “they didn't spend” any money. Over the past five years, United have spent £685m to City's £660m, and their respective net spends are £527m and £162m.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spendin ... e&ie=UTF-8

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Postby SalvorHardin » June 11th, 2023, 1:04 pm

Mike88 wrote:Further to my earlier post the following is telling:

Pep Guardiola has taken a swipe at Manchester City's critics by joking that Manchester United went six years without a trophy before their Carabao Cup triumph because “they didn't spend” any money. Over the past five years, United have spent £685m to City's £660m, and their respective net spends are £527m and £162m.

That's publicly reported spending, which ignores what City have spent off the books (hence the 115 financial fair play violations).

City's recent claim that they had the highest income in European football is laughable. They have massively inflated the market value of their sponsorship deals with businesses connected to their owners.

United have wasted a lot of money since Fergie left. The Glazers let an investment banker and his mates from University run player transfers, with some players being signed mostly because of their high social media profile, rather than whether they were a good fit for the team.

At least one signing that Mourinho wanted was refused because the player didn't do social media.

Anyway, the entries for City's trophies all have an asterisk beside then (* pending the result of the investigation of 115 financial fair play violations)

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » June 11th, 2023, 4:22 pm

SalvorHardin wrote:
Mike88 wrote:Further to my earlier post the following is telling:

That's publicly reported spending, which ignores what City have spent off the books (hence the 115 financial fair play violations).

City's recent claim that they had the highest income in European football is laughable. They have massively inflated the market value of their sponsorship deals with businesses connected to their owners.

United have wasted a lot of money since Fergie left. The Glazers let an investment banker and his mates from University run player transfers, with some players being signed mostly because of their high social media profile, rather than whether they were a good fit for the team.

At least one signing that Mourinho wanted was refused because the player didn't do social media.

Anyway, the entries for City's trophies all have an asterisk beside then (* pending the result of the investigation of 115 financial fair play violations)

I posted that link because (to me at least) it reinforced the point made in my original post that if Manchester United had the resources they would have spent even more. What money they did have was mainly wasted in terms of the success it brought. In other words they are as "plastic" (to quote the original post) as their noisy neighbours.

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » June 15th, 2023, 8:45 am

A nice gesture from City’s manager.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ity-staff/

"Pep Guardiola has shown his appreciation to Manchester City’s staff by gifting them his six-figure bonus for winning the Premier League. In a generous gesture that has touched staff at the club, the City manager has opted to share the money around a substantial number of employees behind the scenes. Sources have not disclosed the exact size of the sum but several of City’s top players are on bonuses of up to £750,000 for winning the Premier League title and Guardiola is expected to be on a similar bonus, if not more."

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » June 15th, 2023, 8:52 am

Dod101 wrote:Well United have never been accused of breaching financial regulations related to the running of the club. Of course any team would buy the best players if they had the money. To get the money they either have to earn it, borrow it or have a rich owner who is prepared to shell out.

Dod

The difference is that Man C's owner(s) put money in whilst Man U's owners take money out having leveraged the finances.

T7

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » June 15th, 2023, 8:52 am

Just look at how much Chelsea spent...
to finish top...of the bottom half the table :lol:
proving that there is more to success than money.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Postby Itsallaguess » June 15th, 2023, 10:32 am

Pep Guardiola would gain much more respect from me if he could simply stop with his incessant spitting.

Much is made of the examples footballers should be setting whilst on the pitch and off it, and quite rightly so, but for me that starts right at the feet of the manager, and I cannot remember a time where the pitch-side cameras have looked at the City dug-out or technical area when City have been playing, and we've not had a full-screen picture of Pep rolling his regular white ball of spit on the tip of his tongue and then spitting it on the ground.

An absolutely horrible habit, and a terrible highly-visible example to set by a man in his position.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » June 15th, 2023, 10:37 am

Itsallaguess wrote:
Pep Guardiola would gain much more respect from me if he could simply stop with his incessant spitting.

Much is made of the examples footballers should be setting whilst on the pitch and off it, and quite rightly so, but for me that starts right at the feet of the manager, and I cannot remember a time where the pitch-side cameras have looked at the City dug-out or technical area when City have been playing, and we've not had a full-screen picture of Pep rolling his regular white ball of spit on the tip of his tongue and then spitting it on the ground.

An absolutely horrible habit, and a terrible highly-visible example to set by a man in his position.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

I can remember when "that kind of thing" was something I knew only from baseball spoofs
Perhaps a bit of high profile lampooning could bring him round? Anyone know any TV comedians?

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Postby Leothebear » June 15th, 2023, 11:39 am

Yeah spitting is revolting. Pep has no excuses and nor do players that have just come on the field. I can just about understand it when players are near exhaustion. I seem to recall that sometimes something needs expelling. Just another thing the football authorities seem unwilling to clamp down on.
Along with feigning injury - saw a lot of that in the recent finals. If SAR shows it, red card, no hesitation. Soon put a stop to it.

Return to “Sports Bar (all sports)”