Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to 88V8,Howard,Bhoddhisatva,penym,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Shrewsbury

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2447
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 1032 times
Been thanked: 370 times

Shrewsbury

#186540

Postby didds » December 13th, 2018, 10:02 am

What's Shrewsbury like? I havent been there since about 1983 I guess!

Looking for a market tow to get away to for a weekend break with Mrs Didds... we don;t need "fancy" (probably do a Airbnb), just somewhere "nice". "Nice" for us means

* independent shops
* independent cafes/restaurants (pref a specialised veggie/vegan/wholefood one but that's not a game changer)
* decent real ale pubs/micropubs
* "interesting stuff" to do (tripadvisor seems fine on that score)
* real markets
* charity shops for a mooch|
* local theatre (amatuer is fine) and/or independent cinema (ie not franchised national chain multiscreens)
* any interesting local festivals etc.

I appreciate that is a bit of a woolly description :-) Just interested in people's thoughts

didds

didds
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2447
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 12:04 pm
Has thanked: 1032 times
Been thanked: 370 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186549

Postby didds » December 13th, 2018, 10:30 am

As a general pointer sort of thing - we really Liked Wells, (food market, cathedral+evensong+Hot Fuzz Tour + charity shops... though pubs were very poor.

York - dssapointed overall... exdellent theatre and food market, centre very "town centre anywahere", aside form food market eating choice was same-same-as-everywhere, pubs good.

guildford - we lasted about two hours. Nuff Sed. Cathedral was good, cafe best choice seen

didds

Rhyd6
Lemon Slice
Posts: 690
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:01 pm
Has thanked: 556 times
Been thanked: 373 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186574

Postby Rhyd6 » December 13th, 2018, 11:56 am

Shrewsbury's not bad and there are plenty of places to eat but it's not somewhere I'd like to spend the weekend. We often pop down to Ludlow for a weekend, a much more interesting little town with plenty of independent shops and plenty to do, it's slso within easy driving distance of Leominster and Hay on Wye.

R6

flyer61
Lemon Slice
Posts: 316
Joined: November 11th, 2016, 12:53 pm
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186609

Postby flyer61 » December 13th, 2018, 1:52 pm

How about Nantwich or Beverley...both have plenty of independents.

77ss
Lemon Slice
Posts: 933
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 10:42 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186754

Postby 77ss » December 14th, 2018, 9:59 am

didds wrote:What's Shrewsbury like? I havent been there since about 1983 I guess!

Looking for a market tow to get away to for a weekend break with Mrs Didds... we don;t need "fancy" (probably do a Airbnb), just somewhere "nice". "Nice" for us means

* independent shops
* independent cafes/restaurants (pref a specialised veggie/vegan/wholefood one but that's not a game changer)
* decent real ale pubs/micropubs
* "interesting stuff" to do (tripadvisor seems fine on that score)
* real markets
* charity shops for a mooch|
* local theatre (amatuer is fine) and/or independent cinema (ie not franchised national chain multiscreens)
* any interesting local festivals etc.

I appreciate that is a bit of a woolly description :-) Just interested in people's thoughts

didds


I think it a splendid place. Not been taken over by malls and chains, good restuarants, churches, castle, abbey, regimental museum.... Lots of interesting places within easy reach.

Festivals? Well, it depends very much upon your taste, but it has one of the best folk festivals going.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186759

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 14th, 2018, 10:24 am

I have to put in a good word for Shrewsbury as it's my 'county town'!
I do like the place - centre is very attractive , apart from possibly the lower section of Pride Hill/Shoplatch
It has a thriving pub scene, and a good local brewery (Salopian) , also Tanner's wine merchants is worth a look.
The river more or less surrounds central Shrewsbury , and the riverside parks/quarry are splendid

Just to be clear , it's SHROZE-BREE , not shrooze-bree, or shoes-bree (runs away and hides...) :D

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2931
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186763

Postby swill453 » December 14th, 2018, 10:41 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:Just to be clear , it's SHROZE-BREE , not shrooze-bree, or shoes-bree (runs away and hides...) :D

Really? https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/201 ... ts-are-in/

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186772

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 14th, 2018, 11:02 am

Yes, really.
You can tell by the moronic comments in the article
"It is pronounced shroo! Any idiot should know that! You wouldn't call the rodent shrew a shrow would you?"
By that logic Slough should be pronounced to rhyme with rough/tough, or through...

Ask anyone who went to Shrewsbury School how to pronounce it

Plus, it was originally called -Schrosberie,

end of, I will hear no more arguments ;)

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2931
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186814

Postby swill453 » December 14th, 2018, 1:12 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:You can tell by the moronic comments in the article

Article comment are always moronic, it's a rule.

Unless it's The Register.

Scott.

tikunetih
Lemon Slice
Posts: 294
Joined: December 14th, 2018, 10:30 am
Has thanked: 100 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186824

Postby tikunetih » December 14th, 2018, 1:53 pm

swill453 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:You can tell by the moronic comments in the article

Article comment are always moronic, it's a rule.

Unless it's The Register.


I've had in-depth inside knowledge of situations reported on in The Register and found that just about every comment posted was at best wide of the mark or at worst abject nonsense.

YMMV but I wouldn't be in any hurry to place El Reg's commentators up on a pedestal.

swill453
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 2931
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 6:11 pm
Has thanked: 212 times
Been thanked: 863 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186829

Postby swill453 » December 14th, 2018, 2:02 pm

tikunetih wrote:I've had in-depth inside knowledge of situations reported on in The Register and found that just about every comment posted was at best wide of the mark or at worst abject nonsense.

OK, me too to an extent, but the inside knowledge is often there if you keep a cynical head on when reading.

Sorry, way off topic now...

Scott.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#186838

Postby AleisterCrowley » December 14th, 2018, 2:17 pm

anyway, Shrewsbury, yes very nice place.
My mates back home do a beer tour occasionally, sometimes starting at Chez Sophie Crêperie - which unusually does Belgian/craft beer(!)

Stan
2 Lemon pips
Posts: 120
Joined: November 15th, 2016, 4:31 pm
Has thanked: 7 times
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#283520

Postby Stan » February 11th, 2020, 12:03 am

AleisterCrowley wrote:anyway, Shrewsbury, yes very nice place.
My mates back home do a beer tour occasionally, sometimes starting at Chez Sophie Crêperie - which unusually does Belgian/craft beer(!)


Craft? Don’t you mean Crafty AC :)

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 542
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#284507

Postby DrFfybes » February 15th, 2020, 2:21 pm

Stan wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:anyway, Shrewsbury, yes very nice place.
My mates back home do a beer tour occasionally, sometimes starting at Chez Sophie Crêperie - which unusually does Belgian/craft beer(!)


Craft? Don’t you mean Crafty AC :)


Blimey Stan, dragging that one out of the archives :)

FWIW we like Shoosbry so much we're abandoning Devon for it. Good choice of "non chain" places to shop, eat, and drink. Very friendly (or tipsy) locals in the pubs we frequent whilst househunting, but big enough not to get bored after a few months.
The best bit was a chap in the pub...
"You moving up from London?"
"No, Devon".
"Really, most people moving here are cashing in on the London prices and retirng to County Piles. Why are you moving?"
"Devon's getting full with retired Londoners".

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#286640

Postby AleisterCrowley » February 25th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Hope you are on high ground :(
My dear old county town is in the news a lot...

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 542
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#287449

Postby DrFfybes » February 28th, 2020, 2:14 pm

We are hoping to be on high ground - Top of Bayston Hill towards Lythwood.

Many years ago after narrowly missing a flood I made a pretty conscious decision that any property I lived in would have certain words in the place name, like Tor, Hill, Ridge, Rise, Bluff', etc.

Anything with Ford, Forder, Bridge, Valley, Mere, Dale, Fen etc are to be avoided.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half
Posts: 5317
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 9:06 am
Has thanked: 525 times
Been thanked: 988 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#287849

Postby redsturgeon » March 1st, 2020, 12:52 pm

DrFfybes wrote:We are hoping to be on high ground - Top of Bayston Hill towards Lythwood.

Many years ago after narrowly missing a flood I made a pretty conscious decision that any property I lived in would have certain words in the place name, like Tor, Hill, Ridge, Rise, Bluff', etc.

Anything with Ford, Forder, Bridge, Valley, Mere, Dale, Fen etc are to be avoided.


So Slough is out of the question then :D

John

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 542
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#291712

Postby DrFfybes » March 17th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Slough was always out of the question, even when I worked in Maidenhead.

Supposeldy exchanging on Thurs and moving stuff up the following Thursday. I'm not holding my breath (actually I find I am, but only when walking past people in the street!).

Paul

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Quarter
Posts: 4002
Joined: November 4th, 2016, 11:35 am
Has thanked: 959 times
Been thanked: 971 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#293568

Postby AleisterCrowley » March 23rd, 2020, 10:07 pm

Well good luck, with all this virus nonsense going on.
We're only supposed to leave the house once a day, but if you're moving it may be a special case.
I feel sorry for people with an outside privy...

If you fancy a decent view (normally quiet) Lyth Hill is worth a stroll
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.65671 ... 312!8i6656
Scafell Pike it ain't, but still pleasant on a clear day
And no, I don't know what those 'blue remembered hills' are without looking on the map, although I'm pretty sure the one on the far left is the Wrekin (also worth a visit) and Long Mynd due south?

DrFfybes
Lemon Slice
Posts: 542
Joined: November 6th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 211 times

Re: Shrewsbury

#294809

Postby DrFfybes » March 27th, 2020, 1:51 pm

AleisterCrowley wrote:Well good luck, with all this virus nonsense going on.
We're only supposed to leave the house once a day, but if you're moving it may be a special case.
I feel sorry for people with an outside privy...

If you fancy a decent view (normally quiet) Lyth Hill is worth a stroll
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.65671 ... 312!8i6656
Scafell Pike it ain't, but still pleasant on a clear day
And no, I don't know what those 'blue remembered hills' are without looking on the map, although I'm pretty sure the one on the far left is the Wrekin (also worth a visit) and Long Mynd due south?


As it happens our Vendors removal firm cancelled on Tuesday, and we had already decided to exchange and complete on the same day, so everything is paused. We're cash buyers and they're moving into an empty place so it should be pretty smooth when things lift again.

We drove through (!) the car park in your link (reproduced in shorter form here https://goo.gl/maps/NyqVyeoS3ky5r2p6A ) as that is about a mile from where we are buying and we looked at one of the ones a couple of hundred metres to the West.

Paul


Return to “Around the UK”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest