Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Pub for a wake on a river/canal near Burton On Trent

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Half

Pub for a wake on a river/canal near Burton On Trent

Postby didds » December 20th, 2018, 8:49 am

My FiL died this week.

For those that know the area, his ceremony will be at Bretby Crematorium. We are seeking somewhere for a wake - my wife would like somewhere pleasant preferably "country side" and ideally something like a pub adjacent to the river or Canal or water. They (wife and MiL) don;t want toi have to deal with external caterers directly, so somewhere that provides an "all in one package" . Though I'd be interested in hearing of anywhere like a village hal whereby we would then need to address some external catering, if it was "ideal".

Preferably not north of Bretby (I dunno why!). Burton itself is not out of the picture but would have to be "aesthetically pleasing" - the fotball and rugby clubs would - purely as an example - not "fit". Its also probably only for about 50. Similar to the carteres thing a bar would be good (though for the right place again that can be _maybe_ be overcome etc).

If it makes any difference (eg opens up options etc) FiL was in the Royal navy for 15 years circa 1944-1960

Sorry for the somewhat specific and also wooly at the same time request. Im trying to make sense of the various "likes" myself ( * weak smile * )

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Pub for a wake on a river/canal near Burton On Trent

Postby didds » December 28th, 2018, 2:22 pm

all sorted in the end... My wife found a local pub in the village that could cater for the wake, and they were really lovely and considerate.

Big up to the Jinny at Rolleston On Dove :-)

didds

Return to “Around the UK”