Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Camper vans where to go.

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Camper vans where to go.

Postby didds » August 24th, 2020, 12:34 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Wild campers of any kind are a blight on the landscape.

I'd suggest that is a huge generalisation.

How do you know of the WCers that leave nothing?

didds

Charlottesquare
Lemon Quarter

Postby Charlottesquare » August 24th, 2020, 5:50 pm

scotia wrote:The North 500 has become so over-run by Camper Vans and Wild Campers (particularly around Durness) that trowels have been placed in 90 lay-bys to allow considerate users to dig a hole for their excrement.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-53734992

Bethselamin may inspire. (HHGTTG)

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 24th, 2020, 6:15 pm

didds wrote:

didds

I wasn't really complaining about the litter (AIUI) they frequently leave behind. My complaint was about the blot on the landscape of bright orange and blue tents dotted around, spoiling views. Organized camp sites are usually tastefully hidden away, and are subject to planning law.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 24th, 2020, 6:20 pm

didds wrote:

didds

I wasn't really complaining about the litter (AIUI) they frequently leave behind. My complaint was about the blot on the landscape of bright orange and blue tents dotted around, spoiling views. Organized camp sites are usually tastefully hidden away, and are subject to planning law.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 24th, 2020, 6:30 pm

Ah. The thread was about campervans and caravans etc - didnt realsie you were taklking about tents.

Presumably if tenters used camoflage or beige/darkl green tents the problem would go away?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pPwAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

didds

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Postby Mike88 » August 24th, 2020, 7:25 pm

I'm an ex campervanner myself but what irks me are the number of campervanners, although in the minority, parked on a car park in our seaside resort emptying their waste into the sea, emptying their toilets in local public conveniences with waste all over the floors,draining their waste over the tarmac and generally making the place untidy. As a result locals are trying to stop the practice. If those responsible behaved acceptably they would be welcome but their anti social behaviour is spoiling it for the decent majority. The UK is not a great place for wildcamping unlike countries such as France, Germany and Spain where appropriate facilities are provided in the form of Aires. In the UK I always opted for camp sites. If the OP is fixed on wild/free camping this website is helpful:

https://nearlywildcamping.org/

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 24th, 2020, 7:53 pm

didds wrote:Ah. The thread was about campervans and caravans etc - didnt realsie you were taklking about tents.

Presumably if tenters used camoflage or beige/darkl green tents the problem would go away?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/pPwAAOSw ... s-l640.jpg

didds

Same difference. All the caravans and campervans I see on the (legal) campsites I use, are gleaming white and silver. As is mine.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 24th, 2020, 8:22 pm

didds wrote:

didds

Somehow or another the idea of WCers leaving nothing behind does not quite chime, noting the spades etc left in laybys according to some newspapers and referred to earlier in this thread.

Dod

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 24th, 2020, 9:45 pm

Nimrod103 wrote:Same difference. All the caravans and campervans I see on the (legal) campsites I use, are gleaming white and silver. As is mine.

Mines stealth grey....

didds

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 24th, 2020, 10:31 pm

didds wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:Same difference. All the caravans and campervans I see on the (legal) campsites I use, are gleaming white and silver. As is mine.

Mines stealth grey....

didds

Is that the same shade as NC500 typical Scottish weather grey?

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 25th, 2020, 12:04 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Is that the same shade as NC500 typical Scottish weather grey?

LOL :-) Not done NC500 to find out but TBH its sounds like a steady procession of CVs and MHs along the route and doesn't appeal.

Its very ... matt grey...

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 25th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Scott/Didds. Some info on the survey mentioned previously. It was called "The Snowden Green Key Initiative" but as far as I can make out it was never published. It was carried out by Cardiff/Bangor University but my mole on Gwynedd council is not sure when. The idea was to look at setting up park and ride facilities in and around Snowden to alleviate the awful parking problems which occur every summer. Nothing seems to have come of that part of the survey, parking is still horrendous and locals, especially in Llanberis are still compaining bitterly about parking, littering etc. Without the it being required peripheral info was gathered re the amount people tended to spend when in the area. This was divided into day visitors and people who stayed for a few days, mainly in caravans and camper vans. Day visitors especially those who had come just for the walking, tended to arrive early, park where there were no charges, bring sandwiches and drinks, walk their preferred route and go home. Visitors in motor homes tended to park wherever they could, bring provisions with them, rarely used the local restaurants and pubs though takeways did well.
Not a very scientific survey and no local bus companies were interested in the park and ride idea as Gwynedd CC intended it to be self funding.

R6

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 25th, 2020, 1:21 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:Scott/Didds. Some info on the survey mentioned previously. It was called "The Snowden Green Key Initiative" but as far as I can make out it was never published.

If you're searching for it, it might help if you spell the name of your mountain right :-)

Seems it was terminated in 2009, so presumably the survey predated that.

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 25th, 2020, 2:46 pm

Scott, I usually refer to it as Y Wyddfa:)

R6

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 25th, 2020, 2:55 pm

Gordon Bennett, I should never have left my bed today "Yr Wyddfa". Am not functioning at full capacity at all today :cry:

R6

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » August 25th, 2020, 2:57 pm

Snorvey wrote:There was a thing on the BBC today about a guy that had invented a caravan that floats.

I think we should check all caravans and campervans for their floatability.

What, like this?

A "Caraboat"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/content ... ture.shtml

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 25th, 2020, 3:28 pm

Maybe more like this

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 25th, 2020, 3:58 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:This was divided into day visitors and people who stayed for a few days, mainly in caravans and camper vans. Day visitors especially those who had come just for the walking, tended to arrive early, park where there were no charges, bring sandwiches and drinks, walk their preferred route and go home. Visitors in motor homes tended to park wherever they could, bring provisions with them, rarely used the local restaurants and pubs though takeways did well.
R6

Im wondering overall if the CVs/MHs were in effect no different than the car drivers ie day trippers - except they sleep over and bugger off the next day rather than drive ioff the same day.

that's conjecture mind. This was a report it seems on one verys epcific place with an obvious single attraction.

My expereince is for more generic places with longer stays (even if only a very few dayS). Im not sure the two scenarios are analogous, but fuilly accept this is purely conjecture.

Cerainly though Id say that survey as described is not representative of Cvs/MHs typical usage, and those NHs/Cvs that do bugger off with little input to the very local economy may well be spendfing their cash 40 miles down the road elsewhere. As I said - Cvs dont have that much room let alone pfor perishable stuff so have to shop fairly often.

We'll agree to disagree maybe.

didds

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » August 25th, 2020, 5:54 pm

didds wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:This was divided into day visitors and people who stayed for a few days, mainly in caravans and camper vans. Day visitors especially those who had come just for the walking, tended to arrive early, park where there were no charges, bring sandwiches and drinks, walk their preferred route and go home. Visitors in motor homes tended to park wherever they could, bring provisions with them, rarely used the local restaurants and pubs though takeways did well.
R6

Im wondering overall if the CVs/MHs were in effect no different than the car drivers ie day trippers - except they sleep over and bugger off the next day rather than drive ioff the same day.

that's conjecture mind. This was a report it seems on one verys epcific place with an obvious single attraction.

My expereince is for more generic places with longer stays (even if only a very few dayS). Im not sure the two scenarios are analogous, but fuilly accept this is purely conjecture.

Cerainly though Id say that survey as described is not representative of Cvs/MHs typical usage, and those NHs/Cvs that do bugger off with little input to the very local economy may well be spendfing their cash 40 miles down the road elsewhere. As I said - Cvs dont have that much room let alone pfor perishable stuff so have to shop fairly often.

We'll agree to disagree maybe.

didds

I've been up Snowdon many times, but only see it as a day trip. I think I have only spent money in Llanberis once in all the times I have been, with the exception of the car park.

Having said that I will have spent multiple hundreds of pounds in Harlech where I would typically be based for 4-7 days, in shops, bars, restaurants etc. so I'm not sure how a "survey" or the tourist authorities (or locals) would categorise that. I would consider I have injected money into the "local economy" even if they wouldn't.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 25th, 2020, 11:23 pm

dealtn wrote:I've been up Snowdon many times, but only see it as a day trip. I think I have only spent money in Llanberis once in all the times I have been, with the exception of the car park.

Having said that I will have spent multiple hundreds of pounds in Harlech where I would typically be based for 4-7 days, in shops, bars, restaurants etc. so I'm not sure how a "survey" or the tourist authorities (or locals) would categorise that. I would consider I have injected money into the "local economy" even if they wouldn't.

This.

Exactly.

didds

Return to “Around the UK”