Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Camper vans where to go.

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
didds
Lemon Half

Re: Camper vans where to go.

Postby didds » August 14th, 2020, 2:08 pm

Dod101 wrote:I am not just being a grumpy old man, this is actually a serious problem in Scotland. Those who turn up here in a campervan contribute very little that is positive to the economy and are a definite negative to the environment, a bit like those who race around the NC500 in a couple of days.

Dod

Im by no means doubting Dod's direct experience but I am TBH quite surprised that it seems CVs dont contribute to the local economy ... one of the big selling points in various groups' attempts to convince authorities to provide more "Aire" style opportunities is that they bring direct trade to the local economy by doing so... and its seen I read as a reason why French mayors are traditionally welcoming of such ideas. Drive up, stop overnight in the local Aire, short walk into the local village/town centre and eat and drink and shop in the local restaurants, cafes, bars, shops and markets, then buy fuel maybe and drive away the next day or so. As opposed to staying on a campsite away from the village/town centre having stocked up at the supermarche en route somewhere.

So I do find it odd that CVs dont contribute much to local pubs, cafes, shops, pubs , fuel stations etc - but then maybe they do stop at supermarkets for everything including fuel... In my very limited window of perception (ie my wife and I!) we deffo fit in the buy-local-buy-often brigade ... CVs dont have THAT much space to store stuff in anyway particulary perishables sucha s foodstuffs.

I've looked at the NC500 etc - it looks a lovely idea but its clear every man and his CV does it so I perceive its a a constant stream of other CVers everywhere. As for doing in it just a couple of days... well, accepting some only have a couple of days, I can't say that it would appeal to us ... if we only have a couple of days we'd rather find one place and stay there - near a beach or a lake or an interesting market town etc :-) But it woold be boring if we were all the same :-)

cheers

didds

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 14th, 2020, 3:14 pm

I have to say that I have no direct experience of how self sufficient those in camper vans are but most definitely hotel proprietors and the like have told me that 'they even bring their own food'. Certainly I would expect drivers and passengers to have to refuel the van and themselves at some point so they must bring some benefit to the local economy. I stay at a very upmarket hotel near Gairloch but I certainly will not be going this year since by all accounts, not surprisingly, three or four months holidays are being compressed in to two. The roads are often single track and those with CVs, especially if they are hired, do not appear often to have the skill to manoeuvre them in a tight situation.

The NC500 is an amazing drive and you could easily spend a week on it but many attempt to drive far too fast and the police tend to be rather scarce.

Anyway enough of that.

Dod

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 14th, 2020, 4:13 pm

For those with an FT subscription, there's a fine article this weekend about those oversized luxury campervans ("glampervans") at https://www.ft.com/content/d0f44c37-539 ... 3bb6fa9ee6. Or try googling for "Perhaps it was foolhardy to embark on a tour of southern England on a rain-soaked weekend in a habitable lorry with a heavily pregnant wife and an excitable two-year-old."

The author confesses that his son picked up a new phrase after watching his father trying to three-point-turn a 24 foot vehicle. The son, it seems, was already familiar with the word "fox", but suddenly he had started appending the second word "ache". :lol:

BJ

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » August 14th, 2020, 4:25 pm

didds wrote:Im by no means doubting Dod's direct experience but I am TBH quite surprised that it seems CVs dont contribute to the local economy ... one of the big selling points in various groups' attempts to convince authorities to provide more "Aire" style opportunities is that they bring direct trade to the local economy by doing so... and its seen I read as a reason why French mayors are traditionally welcoming of such ideas.

That must be in a different part of France from where we go. The southward-bound Dutch campervanners and caravanners invariably drive the locals absolutely crazy by bringing a full three weeks' food and drink with them, and by not buying anything at all from the local shops. Freeloading on the southern French climate, they'd say, without putting anything back.

TBH, that's partly because French is not a language that the Dutch speak particularly well - but the language divide can also take on some of the French/Flemish tensions that got Belgium into its demographic mess in the first place. Besides, the Dutch would say, the French don't understand gin. Or beer. :D

BJ

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » August 14th, 2020, 5:26 pm

Campervanners are not all the same of course. We use pubs/restaurants most of the time when travelling in ours - too lazy to cook much in a confined space. In France we cater more for ourselves due to the difficulty of getting varied/interesting veggie food there for some members of our family. I'm sad about reports of van overload in Scotland. We last went their some years ago, when it was fairly quiet even in August. I'd love to return, but not sure I want to now (though emigrating there to attempt to remain in the EU is a fantasy).

Try my neck of the woods - Rutland. Several campsites, Stamford is lovely, Rutland water is great for cycling or walking, and there are lots of picturesque villages with pubs if you are brave enough! Oundle, Uppingham, Oakham are all worth brief visits. Burghley park estate is free to visit, and open for picnics & walks. Think house & gardens not open yet, but google it.

Anyway, we've had some great weekends around England by locating rural campsites with great reviews that are near a pub. Anywhere in the country with a nice campsite and a nice pub to patronise (covid excepted) is good for a day or two's dog walking and exploring! And yes, buying from the village shop etc if there is one.
https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/calcdist.asp?

An actual campsite with grass & trees, to us, is much more relaxed than finding a 'free' spot elsewhere that may be of dubious legality, in/near a car park or traffic, or at risk of drunk people hammering on the door at 11.30pm. Doubtless there are lovely spots if you know where to look.

In normal times, France is more welcoming than the UK. A lower population density (I assume that's a big factor) means that it's easier to provide parking spaces designed for motorhomes in towns & supermarkets.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Postby Midsmartin » August 14th, 2020, 6:35 pm

While I said that Stamford and oundle are worth a visit, I'm not sure where I'd park a motorhome in either. Googling parking is often required before you visit a town.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 16th, 2020, 11:36 am

12 years of ownership of various vans.

I'll start with a halfway house for potential wild camping. Bridge Inn, Michaelchurch, nr Hereford. Lovely old rural pub which has serviced camper pitches in the carpark and an adjacent field for wild campers. You can still use the toilets/showers. Good food and beer. Solidly booked for weekends but quieter weekdays. If you want somewhere quieter I can put you in touch with a relative who rents her field in Mid Wales to wild campers.
TBH If this is the first time with a van I'd be inclined to avoid wild camping and find some small campsites with facilities. Depending on the size of van you hire, they can be a bit of a handful off road, and yes I've been stuck a few times and needed a tow out.
Europe is far more geared up to overnighters with the free camping Aires France and Stellplatz Germany listing 'ooo. The small towns and villages organise these as a pragmatic way to get passing trade to spend some money. The closest I have found in the UK is Pubs which allow camping which has grown over the last few years and is great for my tastes! Unfortunately, the uncaring few have blighted the Welsh landscape with rubbish and effluent over the last few months which has led to Pembrokeshire Council sending enforcement officers out to issue £60 penalty notices on illegal wild campers. We are a small crowded nation and are not really geared up for mass domestic tourism, but hopefully everyone will return to the Costa del Sol next year!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 16th, 2020, 12:16 pm

Forestry & Land Scotland are running a trial where they permit campervans to stay overnight in some of their car parks https://forestryandland.gov.scot/staythenight

Scott.

colboy

Postby colboy » August 16th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Living in Scotland I support the development of campsites and aires here to accommodate the tourism promoted by Scottish gov, visit Scotland etc. This may be an exceptional year with Brits having less city breaks, more staycations and favourable weather but Scotland benefits from tourism and next year the overseas visitors will hopefully be back. Durness seems to have been a problem due to nc 500, lack of facilities including the local campsite not opening until early aug and only then partially. Not been there this year and saw only few problems with roadside tents in glen shee and road to linn of dee.
In last few weeks in our CV we visited Braemar, Ballater, Assynt, Ullapool, Scottish borders staying at official campsites and road side 'wild' camping with no problems. We left not a trace and had brilliant time climbing hills, fishing, reading books in the sunshine. Where we safely could we ate out although not all places are open yet. We spent money locally shopping and on fuel. We shall be back out there in Sept when things may have calmed down.
And don't forget that the overall volume of Scottish outdoor tourism is limited by the weather and midges most years
Bon vacances

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 16th, 2020, 5:09 pm

There are plenty of "wild" places in Scotland to park a campervan. Unfortunately the responsible majority get tarred with the same brush as the idiots who leave litter, including human waste, wherever they go. This has obviously got worse this year as the Magaluf crowds seek somewhere closer to home to spoil.

An important part of the Aire system in France and other countries is the provision of water&waste points. Just about every town and village has well signposted campervan service points

These typically charge a smallish fee. I think it's something that enterprising councils here should consider.

Unfortunately camp site owners have a powerful voice and don't like the "competition".

Scott.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 17th, 2020, 11:21 am

Midsmartin wrote:While I said that Stamford and oundle are worth a visit, I'm not sure where I'd park a motorhome in either. Googling parking is often required before you visit a town.

sites like parkonmydrive etc are useful also ..

didds

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 17th, 2020, 11:25 am

airbus330 wrote:has led to Pembrokeshire Council sending enforcement officers out to issue £60 penalty notices on illegal wild campers

Im interested as to what conctitutes "illegal wild camping" - obviously where TROs are in place but often the warning signs use non legal terminolgoy rendering the TRO unenforceable but a PITA to have to appeal etc.

(something about "no campervans" is meaningless becayse there is no legal definition of "campervan" or summat... which just ends up muddying the waters etc).

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 17th, 2020, 4:56 pm

As I understand it (and I might be wrong) in Wales and England it is illegal to camp (any variety) anywhere that is not either a) a designated campsite or b) private land with the consent of the owner. I live very close to a 'beauty spot' and the odd campervan/motorhome has always parked overnight in the Forestry Commission car park. No-one really cared in the past. Now, with an explosion of staycationers and camper vans flying off the shelves like toilet rolls in a pandemic, it has become a problem. As far as I know we have not had the enforcement officers yet, but the Pembroke issue was reported on Welsh news.
Scotland has a much more liberal system which allows wild camping, but I have read that again unthoughtful campers and a big increase in numbers has stretched the locals patience especially on the North Coast 500 bits of the Highlands.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2020, 5:56 pm

If you're thinking of coming to North Wales then don't go anywhere near Snowden, the locals there are getting very twitchy. A survey by Bangor university found that owners of campervans and caravans contribute about £1 a day to the economy, not a lot considering the mess they leave behind - you know who you are you barstewards who drove into our allotments and ruined several months of hard work. May your round objects turn square and fester at the corners.

R6

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Postby airbus330 » August 19th, 2020, 7:00 pm

The story surfaces again, with the added prospect of campers being banned from Aberystwyth car parks. Deep joy :x

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53817151

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 19th, 2020, 7:26 pm

Rhyd6 wrote:A survey by Bangor university found that owners of campervans and caravans contribute about £1 a day to the economy, not a lot considering the mess they leave behind

Do you have a reference to that survey? I'd be interested to read it.

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2020, 7:48 pm

Sorry Scott I don't have a reference I was discussing the situation with a lecturer from the university and he mentioned the survey. I'll try and get more info of him next time I see him and post th info.

R6

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » August 19th, 2020, 11:37 pm

Where to "go": https://www.lockdownloo.com/

Overnight parking: https://www.park4night.com/carte_lieux

We tend to stay on Camping & Caravan Club sites, mainly for the facilities. There's a bit of cash entering a local economy straight away... Whilst we do pack some food, sitting in a field staring at other vans doesn't really appeal, so we also pack a couple of bicycles, walking boots and a dog. If there is a decent pub or attraction (think English Heritage, National Trust etc.) then we'll visit and spend locally. That spend is of course on top of the cost of the van itself, which put a large wad of cash into a dealer and (English) manufacturer's local economy, as well as the regular servicing etc., all of which adds up and generates economic activity that then allows others to go on their holibobs...

I do sympathize with local areas that have been overwhelmed by an influx of irregular tourists, especially if said tourists have left an unsightly mess behind, but I think the solution is to develop facilities to cope, and encourage good behaviour, rather than become hostile, which just breeds more hostility and bad attitudes on both sides.

We're just back from near Durham after a week away; enjoyed ice creams, lunches out, collecting sea glass at Seaham, walking through woods and along the river Wear, as well as visiting Durham city itself. Finchdale Priory is a lovely site to spend a few days, should you like looking at the remains of Henry the 8th's vandalism :(

VRD

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 20th, 2020, 8:11 am

We use Caravan Club certified locations a lot, which puts money directly into the hands of the site owner. We shop locally in farm shops and village stores. And pubs and restaurants. I see no point in bringing more than some basic food with us.
Wild campers of any kind are a blight on the landscape.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 24th, 2020, 12:20 pm

Im frankly amazed that CVs allegedly only contribute £1 a day to local economies. Thats an awful lot of food and drink with limited perisihable protection to bring with you, and never ever visiting local pubs, cafes, shops, restaurants, fuel stations etc etc at all. That's not to say some don't do it, but as a CVer for several years now I just dont see how that is done for anybody that is vaguely involved in the area they visit.

The irony being maybe that the more long term the CV visit the more likely the CVer(s) is/are to spend money locally.

Like Scott, I'd be interested in seeing that survey as well.

Return to “Around the UK”