Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

What are you holiday plans in 2021 - UK or Abroad?

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations

Holiday in the UK or Abroad in 2021?

I normally holiday in the UK and will continue to do so in 2021
20%
I normally holiday abroad, but have decided to holiday in the UK in 2021 - self catering
2%
I normally holiday abroad, but have decided to holiday in the UK in 2021 - in a hotel or similar
2%
I normally holiday abroad, but will probably holiday in the UK in 2021 - self catering
2%
I normally holiday abroad, but will probably holiday in the UK in 2021 - in a hotel or similar
No votes
I normally holiday aboard and would like to in 2021, so am adopting a wait-and-see policy
45%
I holiday in the UK and abroad throughout the year, but will increase the proportion of UK holidays - self catering
6%
I holiday in the UK and abroad throughout the year, but will increase the proportion of UK holidays - hotel or similar
4%
I holiday in the UK and abroad throughout the year and will do so in the same proportion next year
12%
I don't or can't go on holiday
8%

Total votes: 51

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

What are you holiday plans in 2021 - UK or Abroad?

Postby Clariman » August 18th, 2020, 7:49 am

We own a couple of holiday lets in the UK and are considering a third, on the assumption that the recent increase in 'staycations' may last another year at least. What are your current thoughts for holidaying in 2021? None of us know what the Covid situation will be in 2021 nor what travel restrictions might be in place, but please make your best judgement on how you feel about holidaying next year - UK or abroad. I'm also interested to see whether your accommodation preference is self-catering or hotel, so please read the options carefully.

Thanks
Clariman

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Re: What are you holiday plans in 2021 - UK or Abroad?

Postby Nimrod103 » August 18th, 2020, 9:11 am

Clariman wrote:We own a couple of holiday lets in the UK and are considering a third, on the assumption that the recent increase in 'staycations' may last another year at least. What are your current thoughts for holidaying in 2021? None of us know what the Covid situation will be in 2021 nor what travel restrictions might be in place, but please make your best judgement on how you feel about holidaying next year - UK or abroad. I'm also interested to see whether your accommodation preference is self-catering or hotel, so please read the options carefully.

Thanks
Clariman

Assuming the Covid issue is somehow resolved next year (and I think it will be) UK holidays will as normal be driven by the weather and school holidays. This year’s weather has been very good, and that may encourage people to holiday in the UK next year as well. But it only takes some bad weather to change people’s plans entirely at short notice.
I still feel that many holiday lets in the UK find it difficult to get bookings outside of school holidays. And many attractive areas are saturated. A friend told me recently that 60% of the houses in Southwold and 40% in his Suffolk village are second homes or holiday lets.
We are planning a big family holiday (ie with children, grandchildren and spouses) in a cottage next summer. We did this in Brittany last year) and was very successful. But we plan to do it in the UK next year as logistically it will be easier, and less driving involved.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 18th, 2020, 9:46 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Assuming the Covid issue is somehow resolved next year (and I think it will be) UK holidays will as normal be driven by the weather and school holidays.

I'm not so confident that Covid issues will be resolved next year, but I hope they are.
I still feel that many holiday lets in the UK find it difficult to get bookings outside of school holidays.

I think it depends on the size and the nature of the property and whether you offer short breaks. The smaller of our 2 cottages is usually fully booked in May and September because it attracts young (pre-family) and retired couples.
And many attractive areas are saturated. A friend told me recently that 60% of the houses in Southwold and 40% in his Suffolk village are second homes or holiday lets.

The location of ours are in a living village with a strong local community, but some parts of the village have a high proportion of second homes.
We are planning a big family holiday (ie with children, grandchildren and spouses) in a cottage next summer. We did this in Brittany last year) and was very successful. But we plan to do it in the UK next year as logistically it will be easier, and less driving involved.

Can I introduce you to 2 (possibly 3) delightful properties, that are situated on a beautiful coastline within 100 yards of each other? :lol: ;)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 18th, 2020, 9:49 am

Our experience this summer has been that there was a flood of bookings when the UK Government announced the opening up of self-catering holidays. In fact on the Sunday evening, our 2 agents and we each took bookings for the same week at the same property within an hour of each other. We almost never have any clashes and certainly never had a triple booking before. It was quickly sorted out. Both our properties are fully booked until November and have been for the last 6 weeks or so. And after quarantine was announced for Spain there was another flood of enquiries.

C

dspp
Lemon Half

Postby dspp » August 18th, 2020, 12:09 pm

Clariman wrote:Our experience this summer has been that there was a flood of bookings when the UK Government announced the opening up of self-catering holidays. In fact on the Sunday evening, our 2 agents and we each took bookings for the same week at the same property within an hour of each other. We almost never have any clashes and certainly never had a triple booking before. It was quickly sorted out. Both our properties are fully booked until November and have been for the last 6 weeks or so. And after quarantine was announced for Spain there was another flood of enquiries.

C

My GF's holiday let is booked out. We know from monitoring the market this is very common.

regards, dspp

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Postby richlist » August 18th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Whilst the FCO are issuing warnings about non essential travel that invalidates travel insurance I'm not going to holiday abroad.
I assume some of those still travelling don't have travel insurance.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 19th, 2020, 2:01 am

richlist wrote:Whilst the FCO are issuing warnings about non essential travel that invalidates travel insurance I'm not going to holiday abroad.
I assume some of those still travelling don't have travel insurance.

This for me seems a critical component
- I suspect that actuaries will be slower to embrace a return to normal than the travel industry per se
- and I'm not sure that there are many travel agents capable of offering insurance themselves?
Add to that the question of what replaces an EHIC/E111 (or whatever it's called these days) next year and I expect 2021 will continue to see more people than normal staying in the UK

Personally we're still hoping to holiday abroad next year (which means in the UK ;) ) having postponed this years Xmas trip

- sd

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 19th, 2020, 6:12 am

servodude wrote:This for me seems a critical component
- I suspect that actuaries will be slower to embrace a return to normal than the travel industry per se
- and I'm not sure that there are many travel agents capable of offering insurance themselves?
Add to that the question of what replaces an EHIC/E111 (or whatever it's called these days) next year and I expect 2021 will continue to see more people than normal staying in the UK

Personally we're still hoping to holiday abroad next year (which means in the UK ;) ) having postponed this years Xmas trip

We've got annual travel insurance bundled through our bank account. We're prepared for the cost of this to likely go up because of Brexit.

Similarly, Brexit is going to make the red tape of taking a pet abroad (or rather, bringing it home again) more onerous.

But notwithstanding that, as long as the FCO advice allows unessential travel, we'll be off to the continent for a good chunk of next year.

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Postby Rhyd6 » August 19th, 2020, 5:46 pm

We always used to go abroad but when we acquired our present pooch decided to explore the UK. We had already booked both holiday cottages for 2021 before the pandemic, one in Cornwall and one on Llyn peninsula so hopefully we'll be able to continue as planned.

R6

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 19th, 2020, 9:04 pm

swill453 wrote:We've got annual travel insurance bundled through our bank account. We're prepared for the cost of this to likely go up because of Brexit.

Exactly. I have never purchased trip-based travel insurance and never will. I hold an annual policy as well. If I had to I would travel without insurance, although would probably then avoid the riskier locations.

I have cancelled 50% of my overseas trips in 2020 but expect a full travel itinerary for 2021.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 20th, 2020, 8:01 am

swill453 wrote:
servodude wrote:This for me seems a critical component

We've got annual travel insurance bundled through our bank account. We're prepared for the cost of this to likely go up because of Brexit.

Similarly, Brexit is going to make the red tape of taking a pet abroad (or rather, bringing it home again) more onerous.

But notwithstanding that, as long as the FCO advice allows unessential travel, we'll be off to the continent for a good chunk of next year.

Scott.

Do you know why Brexit will make bringing a dog back into the UK more difficult?

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 20th, 2020, 9:23 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Do you know why Brexit will make bringing a dog back into the UK more difficult?

I think it will depend on whether the UK is able to negotiate that it remains a "listed country" at the end of the transition period.

Scott.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 20th, 2020, 9:31 am

swill453 wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:Do you know why Brexit will make bringing a dog back into the UK more difficult?

I think it will depend on whether the UK is able to negotiate that it remains a "listed country" at the end of the transition period.

Scott.

This may affect dogs going into the EU, but why would it affect them returning?
Our dog is getting too old to handle long journeys, so unlikely to affect me.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 20th, 2020, 9:38 am

Nimrod103 wrote:This may affect dogs going into the EU, but why would it affect them returning?

I'm maybe extrapolating too far, that if Britain becomes "unlisted" then it will treat other countries the same in retaliation. Could be wrong but nothing would surprise me.

Scott.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Postby Nimrod103 » August 20th, 2020, 10:10 am

swill453 wrote:
Nimrod103 wrote:This may affect dogs going into the EU, but why would it affect them returning?

I'm maybe extrapolating too far, that if Britain becomes "unlisted" then it will treat other countries the same in retaliation. Could be wrong but nothing would surprise me.

Scott.

Please ignore the rec I just gave Which was caused by fat finger on an iPad.
If France (and it will mainly affect British travellers to France I would guess) bans British dogs, they would be damaging their own tourist industry.
AIUI before micro chipping and pet passports, France was not too bothered about who brought dogs in. It was the UK authorities, paranoid about rabies, who put up barriers to their return.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » August 20th, 2020, 10:28 am

Nimrod103 wrote:Please ignore the rec I just gave Which was caused by fat finger on an iPad.

You can "unrec" it by pressing the thumb icon. I won't be hurt...

Scott.

Return to “Around the UK”