Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Royal Deeside

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Royal Deeside

Postby swill453 » September 8th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Deeside was featured recently in Channel 5's "Walking Britain's Lost Railways" recently, quite an interesting programme https://www.my5.tv/walking-britain-s-lo ... /episode-4

Scott.

airbus330
Lemon Slice

Re: Royal Deeside

Postby airbus330 » September 12th, 2020, 11:10 am

Snorvey wrote:Lots of folk, when visiting Scotland (past Edinburgh) head to the highlands, the West coast or the dreaded North Coast 500.

.....but having just spent a couple of days in Ballater, I'd like to give a shout out to Royal Deeside (and rural Aberdeenshire in general). It is spectacular from the leafy green countryside, epic Lochs and rising dramatically to peaks such as Lochnagar and the Eastern Cairngorms.

Loads of walks, hikes and climbs. Not half as many midges as the west/north and much drier.

Downsides......campervans. early retirement Nomad biker gangs.

The campervans are largely driven by near corpses in suspiciously shiny and unused hiking boots who have little idea how to drive/park a 30 foot mobile lavatory and the bikers are one age band below who have no idea how to ride a 12 grand 190mph motorbike.

But apart from that, it's amazing.

As an ex inhabitant of nearby Donside, I have to agree that eastern Scotland is an oft overlooked gem with a better climate and far fewer midges!!
As a muddy booted retired motorhome owner and track day motorcycle aficionado, I have to disagree! :lol:

Return to “Around the UK”