Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Manchester

place to discuss doing things round and about the UK or to ask advice about other locations
mc2fool
Lemon Half

Manchester

Postby mc2fool » January 25th, 2023, 5:52 pm

Going to spend a few days in Manchester mid-February. On my to-visit list so far are the Whitworth, the Manchester Art Gallery, the Science and Industry Museum and maybe the Transport Museum, which gives an indication of my types of interests.

Suggestions for other things to see/do welcome (predominantly indoor given the time of year!); nothing football or sports related please. ;)

Unfortunately I won't be there for the reopening of the Manchester Museum, and I've already been to the Lowry and IWM at Salford Quays,

Also pubs (esp with grub), restaurants, etc, and music. And any comments positive or negative on any of the budget central-ish hotels of the Premier Inn, Ibis, etc class.

fisher
Lemon Slice

Re: Manchester

Postby fisher » January 25th, 2023, 6:10 pm

I stayed in Roomzzz in manchester a few years ago and it was decent value and a very big room. No breakfast. A very good kebab shop just around the corner.

My wife stayed in IBIS - manchester centre princess street less than a year ago and thought it was basic but good value for money.

The RNCM might be worth a look: https://www.rncm.ac.uk/whats-on/events/

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 25th, 2023, 6:37 pm

Have a look at the Bridgewater Hall website. There might be something there takes your fancy.

wydffa

Postby wydffa » January 25th, 2023, 6:52 pm

I recommend TNQ restaurant, wife been three times and me twice: we both rate it highly (and cheap compared to London)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 25th, 2023, 6:53 pm

We stayed at the ibis Styles Manchester Portland, 5 mins from Picadilly station, it was perfectly fine with a decent continental breakfast.

It's just on the edge of the trendy Northern Quarter, plenty pubs and eating places there.

Also 5 minutes from Chinatown.

The Science and Industry museum definitely recommended. We also enjoyed a walk down the University corridor and a visit to the Manchester Museum.

The John Rylands library is spectacular.

I have in my notes that a steak pizza at the Croma Italian restaurant was very good. We also ate/drank at Cane and Grain with no complaints. There are any number of good value city centre pubs.

Scott.

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Postby GrahamPlatt » January 25th, 2023, 6:58 pm

Well if you’re going to visit the Air & Space Museum, you’re just over the road from the Oxnoble. Good food & drink.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... c-20707978

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 25th, 2023, 7:14 pm

Curry Mile in Rusholme, South Manchester?

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 25th, 2023, 7:15 pm

wydffa wrote:I recommend TNQ restaurant, wife been three times and me twice: we both rate it highly (and cheap compared to London)

Indeed, but be sure to book, it's a quite small place but worth a visit.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » January 25th, 2023, 7:20 pm

Lootman wrote:Curry Mile in Rusholme, South Manchester?

Personally, I think central Manchester is so good with such massive choice, it's not worth bothering if already staying centrally. Far better to visit Dishoom on Bridge Street if you fancy Asian food. A massive step up in quality from curry Mile. The Deansgate/Spinningfields area is fantastic these days for eating out. IMO of course.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » January 25th, 2023, 7:34 pm

Not a mile of course, just a few hundred yards, but it is walking distance from the Whitworth Gallery. Famous for its wall paper collection, I think.

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » January 25th, 2023, 7:44 pm

Thanks for the replies so far ... I'll definitely be e-checking those and any others out before I go! ;)

On music, I should have been clearer (I was at first but it got lost in editing!), I'm much more into smaller music venues, like pubs with music and small local folk/blues/soul/jazz clubs/venues and the like -- but nothing modern, music wise, please! (Although I might have been tempted by Suzanne Vega at Bridgewater Hall if I'd been there that week.)

P.S. Seems the Air & Space Hall of the Science and Industry Museum is now permanently closed (but the Oxnoble is still there. :))

dmukgr

Postby dmukgr » February 7th, 2023, 10:11 am

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Postby mc2fool » February 18th, 2023, 4:24 pm

Ok, a quick trip report, in thanks to those that offered suggestions (even those I didn't follow ;))

I arrived in Manchester early afternoon on Tuesday and went straight to the Manchester Art Gallery. Not many "A" list grand masters and the like but a nice bunch of Pre-Raphaelites and a fair collection of "B" lister Dutch genre and still life painters, as well as, of course, Valettes and Lowrys and many others. The gem for me was a portrait by Angelica Kauffmann.

Then went to check in at the easyHotel Manchester, which I chose primarily for its location but also had the benefit of being only £45 a night. Basic but clean modern rooms in an old converted warehouse (only evident from the outside). Double bed, shower & loo ensuite, towels, TV, WiFi, that's it. Only downside was that it has secondary glazing (rather than double glazing) and so not so well sound insulated from the street as it could be, but things improved on the second night when I got them to move me from my original ground floor room to the fourth floor.

Tried to get a table at Matt & Phreds but they were fully booked (Valentine's night), so went for a beer at the Quarter House, basically the first pub I came across (I was thirsty!). £6 for a Guinness, hmmm, London prices. Then went to El Capo where Mon-Thu they have cheap tacos, from £1-£2.50 depending on filling (the £1 ones are beef chilli) and I had six tacos for £11 and a pint of some IPA for a fiver. Good food, good deal! Then went to Matt & Phreds expecting to stand at the bar but managed to get a seat at a no-show's table. Band with female singer doing a (mostly) pretty good job of (mostly) the Great American Songbook. £5.50 a pint for Guinness. Nice evening.

Wednesday went to the Whitworth Art Gallery. Well, interesting, if you're into fabrics and wallpapers, and there were some (a few) bits of historic fine art, but mostly contemporary so overall not to my taste, which goes generally to pre-20th century. Still, glad I went, interesting enough for a visit but don't think it'll go into my "go again" list. Worth grabbing a window seat for a coffee in their café though, esp. if you can't walk around the art garden 'cos it's peeing down with rain, as it was for me!

Went on to the Science and Industry Museum where, unfortunately, (a) it was half term and so full of kids and (b) they're undergoing a massive restoration and so over half of it is closed. Still, what's still there is interesting and I recommend turning up at 2.30pm for when they crank up one of the spinning machines. With what's still there and the temporary exhibition of Turn It Up: The power of music (paid for, no kids!) I stayed until chucking out time (5pm). Definitely a revisit when it's all fully open again.

Returned to the hotel to freshen up then to the Wetherspoon's in Piccadilly for a £3 pint of Lancaster Red, very nice, and then, just 'cos it was also new to me, a £3 pint of the Wolf Brewery's Granny Wouldn't Like It!!!, which is really a meal in itself! Very hearty. Trotted on to the Blues Kitchen. Good food, reasonably priced, especially liked the Szechuan ribs. Draught beers not dark enough for my tastes but still managed a few of their session IPAs. 'Twas supposed to be soul night so was expecting Aretha, Motown, etc, but got a house band with a female vocalist doing very energetic renditions of lots of stuff, only about 50% soul (and no Aretha). That Summertime is supposed to be a lullaby seemed to pass them by as they did it at 180bpm ... even Janis would be shocked! Nevertheless, enjoyable and I stayed until the end.

Thursday went to the Manchester Cathedral, which I enjoyed and will leave readers to look up to see if they would too (I particularly liked the angel minstrels), and while there couldn't resist dropping into the Old Wellington Inn, just for a quick coffee, which claims to be the oldest building of its kind in Manchester (1552) and, despite the Wikipedia comments, I thought still had a lot of olde worlde charm. Then back to the Manchester Art Gallery for a talk on their current exhibition (The Dandy) followed by a highlights tour, followed by another couple of hours of taking a second look at everything (and a first look at some stuff I missed first time round).

That evening I felt in a glutinous mood and so, after stopping at Wetherspoon again for another couple of pints of the Lancaster Red, went to the Tops Buffet all-you-can eat restaurant, which I did! <insert Mr Creosote Emoji> :D. This place is on a different scale to the buffet restaurants I've been to before (not that many in truth). It seats two or three hundred and there were over 80 dishes being served (not including deserts), an eclectic mix of Chinese, Thai, Indian, Japanese, English and Italian. And, unlike some of the London Chinatown buffets, were you have to search for the beef amongst the green peppers and onions, the meat dishes were meat heavy. Not haute cuisine of course, but everything was tasty and at £19 a darn good nosh! I expected (as with the London Chinatown buffets) to be stung on drinks but the (passable) IPA was £5.50 a pint, so much the same as elsewhere. Went off to Matt & Phreds again afterwards but that evening it was a New Orleans piano player (+ drums and d.bass) that wasn't so much to my taste, so just stayed for one beer.

Friday went to the Salford Museum and Art Gallery, which has a reconstruction of a Victorian street (shops, etc), a small but interesting collection of paintings and an exhibition by local surrealist-ish artist Rachel Goodyear, which I found intriguing. I went onto Castlefield to take a look at the Roman remains there and for a walkabout of the canals, and then onto the John Rylands Research Institute and Library, which is worth a visit just for the building itself, which has a lot of intricacies to examine, but even more so if you ask them to pull out their facsimile of their Gutenberg Bible, one of the first fifteen.

Oops, I meant this to be a quick trip report and I've gone on a bit ..... but hopefully someone will find some use in it at some point .... :D

Spet0789
Lemon Quarter

Postby Spet0789 » February 18th, 2023, 5:57 pm

Second that. Well worth a cab or bus ride out.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 18th, 2023, 5:59 pm

So how many pints of beer was that in the 72 hours or so you were there? :D

I like to mix things up like that on a city trip. I usually like to stay in a fairly fancy hotel (say £100 a night and up). But them eat and drink cheap e.g. Wetherspoon's, curry house. Likewise a mix of highbrow culture and dive bars.

My sons love Asian buffets and, like you, they prefer the multi-cuisine places. And find it worthwhile to spend a bit more for quality. There is an all-you-can-eat sushi place in Brum close to New Street station that is £25 a head (although have not been since the Pandemic so that may be out of date now.

Anyway, nice report.

Return to “Around the UK”