Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to gadjet,niord,88V8,Wasron,PeterGray, for Donating to support the site

Experiences of recent travel to and from Spain?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Experiences of recent travel to and from Spain?

Postby Clariman » January 6th, 2022, 4:19 pm

We haven't been abroad for 23 months. Our last trip was to Andalucia in Feb 2020. Some sun and warmer weather are quite appealing at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of travelling to or from Spain - or other similar European countries.

Of course, the rise of Omicron could put any ideas on hold but I might be up for booking something cancellable.

Thanks
C

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Quarter

Re: Experiences of recent travel to and from Spain?

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 6th, 2022, 8:05 pm

Clariman wrote:We haven't been abroad for 23 months. Our last trip was to Andalucia in Feb 2020. Some sun and warmer weather are quite appealing at the moment, so I was wondering if anyone had any recent experiences of travelling to or from Spain - or other similar European countries.

Of course, the rise of Omicron could put any ideas on hold but I might be up for booking something cancellable.

Thanks
C

We popped to Tenerife in August 2021. We had to do covid tests departing and returning. I think we did both LF & PCR. Whilst in Tenerife we learned they were very close to being shut down. We stayed by the poolside bar one day.

I think this comes down to risk/health issues. If covid would be an issue due to underlying health conditions I'd be less willing to go on holiday. That aside when we went Omicron didn't exist.

AiY

SoBo65
2 Lemon pips

Postby SoBo65 » January 9th, 2022, 2:04 pm

We have just cancelled our trip to Antigua for end of January (with full refund of deposit), mainly because having recently Covid did not want to fall foul of a false positive PCR test and instead booked 11 nights in Tenerife where there are some extraordinary deals at the moment and no testing required, except 2 day test when arrived back.

MaraMan
Lemon Slice

Postby MaraMan » January 9th, 2022, 3:48 pm

We have been to Spain and Gran Canaria in the last three months, and a friend is currently a week into her holiday in Spain. There really wasn't any problem at all, I will be going back in the next month or two.

MM

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » January 10th, 2022, 11:19 pm

Went to Northern Portugal for 2 weeks in November, which was great. Flew to Porto (Ryanair, masks were enforced on the plane) and hired a car. Stayed about 15 miles north of Porto for a week just back from the coast, travelling to various almost-deserted beaches, nice cities inland, then national park area near border. Few days in Cascais/Guincho beach (a few miles west of Lisbon), and a night at walled town of Obidos in between. (About 3 1/2 hours drive Porto-Lisbon on quiet motorways).

Portugal had very high vaccine coverage, and when Omicron variant emerged as a concern halfway through our trip, people noticeably took more precautions. Felt pretty safe out and about, and eating in restaurants (much more so than in UK). Very quiet roads outside cities (tolls on motorways). Surprisingly cheap in areas north of Porto - not mass tourism areas, but certainly nice places to spend some time.

TaurusTheBull
Lemon Pip

Postby TaurusTheBull » January 12th, 2022, 4:33 am

I was in Spain in September, no problem, my vaccine passport was attached to my Ryanair boarding pass. Online immigration form needed for Spain, within 48 hours of flying, to check health status. I think an online form was required when leaving (I was flying across the Atlantic), but I can't remember.

Air travel has become so tedious in the last 18 months, with endless hoops to jump through.

Taurus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 12th, 2022, 2:23 pm

TaurusTheBull wrote:I was in Spain in September, no problem, my vaccine passport was attached to my Ryanair boarding pass. Online immigration form needed for Spain, within 48 hours of flying, to check health status. I think an online form was required when leaving (I was flying across the Atlantic), but I can't remember.

Air travel has become so tedious in the last 18 months, with endless hoops to jump through.

Simply flying somewhere and back is not too onerous under current rules.

What is more messy is multi-country itineraries. That involves having tests and completing online forms whilst you are overseas, which is always less predictable.

I have used both an online proof of vaccination and the physical card as documentation. Both have been accepted.

I read recently that France and Holland will be starting to require proof of a third booster jab soon.

TaurusTheBull
Lemon Pip

Postby TaurusTheBull » January 13th, 2022, 4:41 am

Lootman - yes and no. I have never taken a Covid test as I have never had Covid symptoms (famous last words), and I largely consider such requirements farcical (given that the disease is endemic).

There are 3 countries outside the EU, of which I am aware, that do not erect such barriers - Albania, Colombia (though proof of vaccination now required) and Mexico. I got my booster in Colombia, but Britain being Britain, this has been accepted by my GP but not by NHS Digital. Plus ca change....

For me, it's a big hassle flying anywhere these days, that's why I stay longer. But, if not the EU, then UK may require me to take a test to get home after Easter, unless the Omicron scaremongering recedes over the next 3 months.

Taurus

Return to “Airport Lounge”