Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anyone been to Gran Canaria?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Anyone been to Gran Canaria?

Postby Clitheroekid » January 19th, 2022, 10:17 pm

I'm in my usual January sun seeking mode, and I was thinking of Gran Canaria, as I've never been, and it looks reasonably promising in weather terms for mid-February.

As usual, having spent ages reading various bits of advice as to where to stay I'm left bemused and bewildered :?

Ideally, I want somewhere on the coast, just because I enjoy being beside the seaside, and not too touristy (I've ruled out Playa del Inglés for that reason) but equally not a complete backwater, in that we enjoy decent restaurants and don't want to have to drive to them.

If any Fools have been there and have any suggestions / recommendations - even if they're of the `don't bother going' variety! - I'd be most grateful.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Anyone been to Gran Canaria?

Postby swill453 » January 19th, 2022, 11:14 pm

We stayed in Playa de Mogan in the south west, basically as far as you can drive away from the airport clockwise.

We used it as a base for walking, but it was fine, not too big but plenty of restaurants. This was in 2011 so the memory is a bit faded.

Scott.

niord
Lemon Pip

Postby niord » January 20th, 2022, 7:34 am

I spent December in Meloneras in Gran Canaria and thinking about going back in Feb. It's a small but quite upmarket place, plenty of restaurants just a small distance from Maspalonas which is where the nightlife is if you are into that. If you want sand there are the dunes just a short walk away or a smaller beach at Player de las melonaras, Recommended

Hardgrafter
2 Lemon pips

Postby Hardgrafter » January 20th, 2022, 12:44 pm

I visited the desalination plant for work in San Agustin. We were always booked at the Gloria Palace San Agustin Thalasso And Hotel.

This is set back from the sea (near a beach though) in an elevated situation with extensive views. Per TUI description the hotel’s in the calm town of San Agustin, on Gran Canaria's south coast. There’s chilled-out nightlife, a long stretch of sand, and a great choice of eateries to be found. Plus, lively Maspalomas is a 10-minute drive away for when you want to up the tempo.

4*. Good thing is that its in the area that German tourist like, so the restaurants and bars are a better grade than the ones a little further down the cost in Maspalomas. Maspalomas has the sand dunes. Definitely only go to Puerto Rico if you like full English breakfasts etc.

Go to Las Palmas de Gran Canaria for quality shopping.

A visit to the mountainous centre (Pica de las Nieves) (hire car) is worth it in order to see trees, flowers, miradores and some good cafes.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » January 20th, 2022, 1:02 pm

Been there once. Had a guided night time excursion into the mountains with a local astronomer guide. Learnt more about the night sky than I had ever done before! The absence of light pollution combined with powerful (portable) telescopes was amazing.

Return to “Airport Lounge”