Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Hand baggage allowance

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
HarryCat

Hand baggage allowance

Postby HarryCat » January 22nd, 2022, 8:16 pm

On a recent flight with BA the check-in staff were firmly insisting that all trolley bags were checked in as hold luggage as “the flight was full”. The couple in front of me tried pleading that they needed to connect with a train on arrival and so did not want to wait for their bags but were told that they had to check them in. The airline clearly advertises its hand luggage allowances as:

All flights
Adults, young adults and children
1 handbag/laptop bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 40 x 30 x 15cm / 16 x 12 x 6in)
plus
1 additional cabin bag (max. 23kg / 51lb and up to 56 x 45 x 25cm / 22 x 18 x 10in)

Are BA actually allowed to force you to check in your hand luggage if it is within the advertised limits?

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Re: Hand baggage allowance

Postby Newroad » January 22nd, 2022, 8:23 pm

Hi HarryCat.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/baggage-essentials

"Handbags or laptop-sized bags are guaranteed to travel in the cabin as hand baggage. On busy flights, you may be asked to check in your larger cabin bag. Make sure your travel documents and other essentials are in your smaller hand bag."

Regards, Newroad

HarryCat

Postby HarryCat » January 22nd, 2022, 8:34 pm

Thanks Newroad, not sure how I missed that.

It’s also worth noting that BA allow you to take a bicycle as luggage for no extra charge, however it may annoy your partner when you commandeer half of her suitcase.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » January 22nd, 2022, 8:45 pm

It's the other way around for us, HarryCat.

Mrs Newroad has on occasion needed to use BA to carry her bike (in bike box) when she competes in Europe. Luckily, she is BA Executive Club Silver or Gold (I can't remember which) so this is not too great an imposition on her baggage allowance :)

Regards, Newroad

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 22nd, 2022, 8:47 pm

What I have seen happen before people are forced to check hand luggage is that the cabin crew ask for volunteers first. That potentially avoids anyone being compelled to check their bags, which the airline has to do if all the overhead bins are full.

If the airline was nice they could give you some miles for volunteering, just as they do if they bump you off the flight altogether.

In some cases I have seen those checking their hand bags on the plane being told that their bags will be unloaded first and will be available as you exit the aircraft. I suspect that depends on the airline, plane, airport and how the crew feel on the day.

Also note that airlines are picky about which bags you can take on board. My standard bag has been allowed on every airline I have flown with EXCEPT for Air Canada, who made me check it. And that was in business class! I have avoided Air Canada ever since.

Small planes and turboprops have smaller overhead bins and you may have to check bags for those, like ATRs, Q400s etc

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » January 22nd, 2022, 8:55 pm

I seem to recall that Easyjet exempt you if you've bought speedy boarding, but it is a long time since I've flown.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 22nd, 2022, 10:52 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi HarryCat.

"Handbags or laptop-sized bags are guaranteed to travel in the cabin as hand baggage. On busy flights, you may be asked to check in your larger cabin bag. Make sure your travel documents and other essentials are in your smaller hand bag."

Regards, Newroad

But what you do if you are selected to have your larger cabin bag placed in the hold is to agree (arguing with cabin crew never work).

However you tell them you need to move those essential items including medication from the larger bag to the smaller bag - they will never risk someone arriving without medication because the checked bag went astray.

And that it might take a while as they are packed in the bottom of the bag.

And would they mind showing you to somewhere there is a table that you can put your bag on to do this as you can’t bend down to do it on the floor.

They *will* find another victim rather than delay the flight, and if they did decide to be stupid and to fly without you, despite you checking in and being at the gate on time, the denied boarding compensation is very generous.

Another alternative is to use a rucksack as the larger bag. They only pick people with suitcases to check in, as rucksacks don’t play nicely with the automatic bag handling systems.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 23rd, 2022, 12:45 pm

AF62 wrote:

Regards, Newroad

But what you do if you are selected to have your larger cabin bag placed in the hold is to agree (arguing with cabin crew never work).

However you tell them you need to move those essential items including medication from the larger bag to the smaller bag - they will never risk someone arriving without medication because the checked bag went astray.

And would they mind showing you to somewhere there is a table that you can put your bag on to do this as you can’t bend down to do it on the floor.

They *will* find another victim rather than delay the flight, and if they did decide to be stupid and to fly without you, despite you checking in and being at the gate on time, the denied boarding compensation is very generous.

Another alternative is to use a rucksack as the larger bag. They only pick people with suitcases to check in, as rucksacks don’t play nicely with the automatic bag handling systems.

You will not be compensated for being removed from the flight if the cause of that removal is your failure to cooperate with instructions from the cabin crew. People have been not only removed from the plane for that, but been arrested and banned from flying with that airline.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 23rd, 2022, 1:50 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:

Regards, Newroad

You will not be compensated for being removed from the flight if the cause of that removal is your failure to cooperate with instructions from the cabin crew. People have been not only removed from the plane for that, but been arrested and banned from flying with that airline.

But you are cooperating with the cabin crew. And being happy and smiling whilst doing so.

You have agreed your bag can be checked into the hold, but you just need to remove your medication first.

If time is short before departure they will move onto the next victim rather than demand your bag is taken immediately at the gate without you being able to remove those items; the possibility of your medication going missing and them being aware of that danger - a member of cabin crew being paid minimum wage won’t take that risk and make that decision.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » January 23rd, 2022, 2:13 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:

But you are cooperating with the cabin crew. And being happy and smiling whilst doing so.

You have agreed your bag can be checked into the hold, but you just need to remove your medication first.

If time is short before departure they will move onto the next victim rather than demand your bag is taken immediately at the gate without you being able to remove those items; the possibility of your medication going missing and them being aware of that danger - a member of cabin crew being paid minimum wage won’t take that risk and make that decision.

You are relying on your fellow passengers to be nicer about it than you are, which is a bit selfish.

And since you will have just been through security your medications would be handy to you anyway. I don't think your advice is the most cordial. And if there is no room in the overhead bins then your bag will be checked. By delaying the flight you will merely cause everyone else on the plane to hate you.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » January 23rd, 2022, 2:49 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:

You are relying on your fellow passengers to be nicer about it than you are, which is a bit selfish.

And since you will have just been through security your medications would be handy to you anyway. I don't think your advice is the most cordial. And if there is no room in the overhead bins then your bag will be checked. By delaying the flight you will merely cause everyone else on the plane to hate you.

Not at all.

I am relying on the airline being competent and allowing on the hand luggage the ticket they sold me allows.

Also I only ever take the large bag allowed and not a secondary small bag, so the issue of removing medication is real.

And my experience is that when push comes to shove, the cabin crew always manage to find room for another bag somewhere, rather than delay the flight.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » January 28th, 2022, 2:51 pm

Lootman wrote:What I have seen happen before people are forced to check hand luggage is that the cabin crew ask for volunteers first. That potentially avoids anyone being compelled to check their bags, which the airline has to do if all the overhead bins are full.

If the airline was nice they could give you some miles for volunteering, just as they do if they bump you off the flight altogether.

In some cases I have seen those checking their hand bags on the plane being told that their bags will be unloaded first and will be available as you exit the aircraft. I suspect that depends on the airline, plane, airport and how the crew feel on the day.

Also note that airlines are picky about which bags you can take on board. My standard bag has been allowed on every airline I have flown with EXCEPT for Air Canada, who made me check it. And that was in business class! I have avoided Air Canada ever since.

Small planes and turboprops have smaller overhead bins and you may have to check bags for those, like ATRs, Q400s etc

When I used to travel a lot around Europe, I was always over the moon when offered this option. I prefer to travel light (unlike my wife who will have the ****!! kitchen sink as well) , so would take out my tablet, book etc and gladly give them my small case. In fact, I often used to go to check-in even though I didn't have to, just to see if they'd offer this service. 8-)

Steve

MyNameIsUrl
Lemon Slice

Postby MyNameIsUrl » January 28th, 2022, 8:52 pm

stevensfo wrote:When I used to travel a lot around Europe, I was always over the moon when offered this option. I prefer to travel light (unlike my wife who will have the ****!! kitchen sink as well) , so would take out my tablet, book etc and gladly give them my small case. In fact, I often used to go to check-in even though I didn't have to, just to see if they'd offer this service.

I prefer to travel light as well and have a couple of times been to checkin to proactively offer my bag for the hold. This gives the staff a dilemma as they try to figure out whether their job is to force people to check their bags, or simply to deny all passenger requests. For Easyjet, the latter course of action has won out both times, and I've taken my bag on the plane when others have had bags put in the hold against their wishes. Next time I might go to the desk and demand that my bag doesn't go in the hold just to test their contrariness.

Return to “Airport Lounge”