Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Bringing goods into the UK

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Bringing goods into the UK

Postby Clariman » August 12th, 2022, 9:59 pm

In the jolly post Brexit world, don't forget that we are back to the world of personal allowances when bringing items back to the UK. IMO the UK Government website is very unclear, but we've finally worked it out before our return and I'll be paying nearly £200 UK VAT on a special gift that is already duty paid in an EU country.

Before making the purchase we sat in a cafe closely reading the Government website and came to the conclusion that we would pay a flat 2% customs duty fee but might not have to pay it if we had evidence that the item was made in the EU. OK so that sounded not too bad.

We will be returning shortly so I decided to be honest and pay up using the Government online calculator. Of course not only did it charge customs duty but also VAT! Nowhere on the general information page did it say, don't forget you'll need to pay VAT!! All it discussed was customs and excise duties.

Of course the double whammy is that if you go over your personal allowance you have to pay customs duty and VAT on all goods. Luckily we can use our personal allowances to separate which goods belong to whom so I'll only declare the expensive item and the remainder will be Mrs C and will be under her allowance.

Be warned.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Bringing goods into the UK

Postby Lootman » August 12th, 2022, 10:23 pm

I suspect that almost everyone would have just breezed through the green zone at Heathrow with this item and not been troubled.

I have probably re-entered the UK 200 times in my lifetime. If you believe that is a statistically significant sample size then you might be interested to know that I have been stopped in the green zone just twice.

The first time was back in the 1970s when, as a pot-smoking hippie with appropriately long hair, my vehicle was extensively searched at Dover. They found nothing (we had swallowed our remaining pot stash on the ferry which made the trip go very quickly) except for the Achtung Ausfahrt road sign we had nicked in Hamelin.

The second time was coming back from Hong Kong in the 1980s. I had been working there for 4 months so figured that anything I bought there was exempt from duty. Apparently not as you need to be away for a minimum of 6 months for that exemption. So I had to pay duty on a silk suit and a linen suit I had had made for me there. The other obvious stuff I was carting back was ignored, which I appreciated. My 6 month pregnant wife who was waiting for me at T4 was less understanding, even though some of the items were for her.

The other 198 times was a breeze. So it is noble of you to volunteer to pay all of that. You are clearly more worthy than most of us. :D

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » August 12th, 2022, 10:27 pm

Clariman wrote:In the jolly post Brexit world, don't forget that we are back to the world of personal allowances when bringing items back to the UK. I

UK or GB ?????
Travel back to GB from the EU via Northern Ireland and nobody has the blindest idea what the current rules are, least of all the government.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 12th, 2022, 10:31 pm

Lootman wrote:The other 198 times was a breeze. So it is noble of you to volunteer to pay all of that. You are clearly more worthy than most of us. :D

Not worthy, just honest. And given those are the new post Brexit rules I'll abide by them, as I am sure all those who voted for Brexit will be delighted to do also.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 12th, 2022, 10:33 pm

PhaseThree wrote:
Clariman wrote:In the jolly post Brexit world, don't forget that we are back to the world of personal allowances when bringing items back to the UK. I

UK or GB ?????
Travel back to GB from the EU via Northern Ireland and nobody has the blindest idea what the current rules are, least of all the government.

Good question. Not Nothern Ireland, but I did have to discards old magnetic GB car sticker and replace it with a brand new one that says UK. Yes those are the rules now.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » August 12th, 2022, 11:41 pm

Clariman wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:

UK or GB ?????

Good question. Not Nothern Ireland, but I did have to discards old magnetic GB car sticker and replace it with a brand new one that says UK. Yes those are the rules now.

You are a noble gentleman, no doubt about that. I suspect that like Lootman I would breeze through the Green channel and in the unlikely event that I was stopped I would have a story, pay up and go on my business. Custom guys know the sort they are looking for , what is it called? Anyway over many years I was never stopped in the Green channel, with or without stuff that might have attracted their attention.

Worry not!

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 12th, 2022, 11:47 pm

Clariman wrote:In the jolly post Brexit world, don't forget that we are back to the world of personal allowances when bringing items back to the UK. IMO the UK Government website is very unclear, but we've finally worked it out before our return and I'll be paying nearly £200 UK VAT on a special gift that is already duty paid in an EU country

Can you claim back the VAT component from the place you got it when you leave under a tourist refund scheme?
Or is the UK VAT being separately levied (i.e. different ratings apply for regions)

Here's the first hit: https://taxation-customs.ec.europa.eu/guide-vat-refund-visitors-eu_en

Perhaps you hold more cards than you though?

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » August 12th, 2022, 11:58 pm

Clariman wrote:In the jolly post Brexit world, don't forget that we are back to the world of personal allowances when bringing items back to the UK. IMO the UK Government website is very unclear, but we've finally worked it out before our return and I'll be paying nearly £200 UK VAT on a special gift that is already duty paid in an EU country.

Before making the purchase we sat in a cafe closely reading the Government website and came to the conclusion that we would pay a flat 2% customs duty fee but might not have to pay it if we had evidence that the item was made in the EU. OK so that sounded not too bad.

We will be returning shortly so I decided to be honest and pay up using the Government online calculator. Of course not only did it charge customs duty but also VAT! Nowhere on the general information page did it say, don't forget you'll need to pay VAT!! All it discussed was customs and excise duties.

Of course the double whammy is that if you go over your personal allowance you have to pay customs duty and VAT on all goods. Luckily we can use our personal allowances to separate which goods belong to whom so I'll only declare the expensive item and the remainder will be Mrs C and will be under her allowance.

Be warned.

Hi Mr. & Mrs. C,

I hope you've both had a wonderful time and enjoyed your time away. I've had a far better time though. I've been at the parents-in-laws just pottering. Emptying the shed into the garage, running surplus to the tip, fungicidal wash to the exterior paintwork of their home, emptied and moved the log store, took the shed down, took the log burner out, sold the shed, put moss and lichen killer down on all the hardstandings, tidied the garage and, wait for it ... put new hinges on that bloody front gate :lol:

I'm getting ready to build their new extension (love job - I get paid in tea and compliments :roll: ).

I've digressed ... as I'm sure you know I always do 8-).

Now you'll probably be aware that I worry a lot :roll:

So when I read the title of your post my mind went into overdrive :lol:. "Bringing goods into the UK". I just felt there needed to be more clarity about the term goods :lol:. And if I may suggest, ever so humbly, it would probably help if you also clarified the transport you are taking. Are we talking submarine, speedboat or air balloon?

I know exactly what you're thinking right now ... and yes you're correct ... I've passed my comedy and humour NVQ PT 1. It cost a fortune but I saved a shed load on the brown envelope.

Lovely to hear from you and pleased you only have first world problems and hopefully you've enjoyed a great time. Although I reserve the right to picture you both sat in a cafe reading the legislation on taxes :)

Take care both

AiY(D)

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » August 13th, 2022, 9:41 am

Clariman wrote:
PhaseThree wrote:

UK or GB ?????

What a very petty rule! I've been driving around Europe for decades and have never given it a second thought, so I wonder if it's actually enforced?

Of course, I guess there's no rule about having both stickers. Otherwise, how will we ever be able to continue the old traditional joke about replacing the 'L' plate to one that means 'Getting better'. ;)

Steve

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 13th, 2022, 10:06 am

It is a petty rule. I heard thar the UK sticker was mandated by the UK Government as a late change to the Brexit agreement to show that it also embraced Northern Ireland.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » August 13th, 2022, 12:46 pm

I never have anything to declare or pay duty on, but if I did, I think I would go to the Red Channel and ask.

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » August 13th, 2022, 6:22 pm

richfool wrote:I never have anything to declare or pay duty on, but if I did, I think I would go to the Red Channel and ask.

When I was younger and I was unsure of limits I would go into red channel. Only once was I charged anything mostly they said that if you go through red channel they have some leeway. The biggest was coming back to UK to get married whilst living in France. 2x 10 litres containers of red wine, plus some wine gifts from friends in Avignon. I went into red with my little Renault 5. The customs guy walked around the car. Nothing on back seat. He opened the boot laughed called his mate and we chatted about the upcoming wedding. No charge.

Always best to be honest, Imo

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 14th, 2022, 12:22 am

seagles wrote:
richfool wrote:I never have anything to declare or pay duty on, but if I did, I think I would go to the Red Channel and ask.

When I was younger and I was unsure of limits I would go into red channel. Only once was I charged anything mostly they said that if you go through red channel they have some leeway. The biggest was coming back to UK to get married whilst living in France. 2x 10 litres containers of red wine, plus some wine gifts from friends in Avignon. I went into red with my little Renault 5. The customs guy walked around the car. Nothing on back seat. He opened the boot laughed called his mate and we chatted about the upcoming wedding. No charge.

Always best to be honest, Imo

Certainly a lot more likely to work against you if they suspect you've knowingly concealed something (or walking as though you have ;) )

I do however make sure the quoted value on any gift parcel sent to the UK comes to under 39 quid; else it incurs a handling charge, possibly duty, and VAT (against the total value including postage and insurance). Which seems ridiculous for stuff that's not commercial goods.

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 14th, 2022, 9:50 am

On a related note.

With the new trade agreement with Australia, I think things are different.

I've only had a quick look, but on one site, it appeared to suggest

< £135, or
    < £630 (if a gift)

no extra taxes/charges.

Regards, Newroad

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » August 14th, 2022, 11:40 am

Newroad wrote:On a related note.

With the new trade agreement with Australia, I think things are different.

I've only had a quick look, but on one site, it appeared to suggest

< £135, or
    < £630 (if a gift)

no extra taxes/charges.

Regards, Newroad

Thosewould be far more sensible limits
- but the Royal Mail site doesn't look to have updated in this respect so I might caw canny until I know better (few things as grating as being told your gifts cost the recipient almost as much as they were worth to pick up! Especially if it's due to swings in exchange rate!!)

I'll keep my fingers crossed :)

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » August 15th, 2022, 1:49 pm

When our car was waved through at customs, I did ask myself why I am so honest about these things! :roll: :lol:

Return to “Airport Lounge”