Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Flight search, different travel classes in one search?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Flight search, different travel classes in one search?

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 5:49 pm

I have a travel plan that involves flying out from one airport and flying back from another. The problem I have is that I cannot find anywhere that allows me to search for different classes of travel for the outbound and inbound flights. I have tried Skyscanner, Kayak and Google flights. None of them allow selecting different ticket class for flights within a single travel itinerary. Does anyone know of a website or app that allows a search including any combination of economy/premium/business class for each section of a journey? Searching for outward and inward flights separately doesn't find the best round trip prices. Thanks.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Flight search, different travel classes in one search?

Postby Lootman » August 17th, 2022, 5:53 pm

BullDog wrote:I have a travel plan that involves flying out from one airport and flying back from another. The problem I have is that I cannot find anywhere that allows me to search for different classes of travel for the outbound and inbound flights. I have tried Skyscanner, Kayak and Google flights. None of them allow selecting different ticket class for flights within a single travel itinerary. Does anyone know of a website or app that allows a search including any combination of economy/premium/business class for each section of a journey? Searching for outward and inward flights separately doesn't find the best round trip prices. Thanks.

Google Flights should let you do that. Top left, instead of selecting one-way or return, click on Multi-City. This allows you to book each leg of the itinerary separately, and therefore vary the cabin class.

The Aer Lingus site let you book outward and return legs in different classes. You can also choose "refundable" for one leg and "non-refundable" for the other. Could work well for a fly-drive holiday in the US but perhaps not for other regions. I have done that and it worked well.

I have never figured out how to do that on the BA site however.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 6:10 pm

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:I have a travel plan that involves flying out from one airport and flying back from another. The problem I have is that I cannot find anywhere that allows me to search for different classes of travel for the outbound and inbound flights. I have tried Skyscanner, Kayak and Google flights. None of them allow selecting different ticket class for flights within a single travel itinerary. Does anyone know of a website or app that allows a search including any combination of economy/premium/business class for each section of a journey? Searching for outward and inward flights separately doesn't find the best round trip prices. Thanks.

Google Flights should let you do that. Top left, instead of selecting one-way or return, click on Multi-City. This allows you to book each leg of the itinerary separately, and therefore vary the cabin class.

The Aer Lingus site let you book outward and return legs in different classes. You can also choose "refundable" for one leg and "non-refundable" for the other. Could work well for a fly-drive holiday in the US but perhaps not for other regions. I have done that and it worked well.

Thank you Lootman. I selected multi city in Google Flights but couldn't see how to do what I wanted. I will try again.

Kayak and Skyscanner definitely don't support the feature I need. Or it's well hidden if they do.

Will report back when I have tried Google Flights again.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 17th, 2022, 6:14 pm

BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Thank you Lootman. I selected multi city in Google Flights but couldn't see how to do what I wanted. I will try again.

Kayak and Skyscanner definitely don't support the feature I need. Or it's well hidden if they do.

Interesting. I feel sure that I did achieve that in 2017 when I booked an itinerary with 10 US domestic flights with American, with a mixture of First and Coach. But it is possible that I ended up booking through American in the end. And Google changed their Flights app in various ways a couple of years ago and, in my view, made it worse!

Another idea is to book a round-trip in economy and then buy a one-way upgrade from the airline after the booking. I have done that with BA and it worked fine.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 6:26 pm

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Interesting. I feel sure that I did achieve that in 2017 when I booked an itinerary with 10 US domestic flights with American, with a mixture of First and Coach. But it is possible that I ended up booking through American in the end. And Google changed their Flights app in various ways a couple of years ago and, in my view, made it worse!

Another idea is to book a round-trip in economy and then buy a one-way upgrade from the airline after the booking. I have done that with BA and it worked fine.

Thanks again. I am trying to book LHR > LAX in premium as it's a day flight. And SEA > LHR in business as it's overnight. I tried again in Google Flights but what you select for the outbound flight cascades onto the inbound flight automatically. I tried just entering the first flight, searching, then entering the second flight too. But the flight class still stays as per the outbound flight. It's very frustrating trying this, such an obvious thing to want to do. I might have to call BA (their flights or AA codeshare are good options) but I truly hate calling them. All the best.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 6:45 pm

BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Thanks again. I am trying to book LHR > LAX in premium as it's a day flight. And SEA > LHR in business as it's overnight. I tried again in Google Flights but what you select for the outbound flight cascades onto the inbound flight automatically. I tried just entering the first flight, searching, then entering the second flight too. But the flight class still stays as per the outbound flight. It's very frustrating trying this, such an obvious thing to want to do. I might have to call BA (their flights or AA codeshare are good options) but I truly hate calling them. All the best.

Well..... Blow me down. My daughter suggested trying direct at the BA and AA websites. And wonder of wonder, you are able to do what I want at the BA website. But not the AA website. Thanks again.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 17th, 2022, 6:47 pm

BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Yes it is not at all uncommon for people to want a lie flat seat eastbound but be happy with premium economy westbound.

BA and AA fly between London and Seattle, last time I looked. Both do LHR-LAX as well, along with Virgin. so you could try the individual airline sites to see if they allow for this.

I flew Stockholm (ARN)-LAX a few weeks ago in Business on FinnAir non-stop and it was MUCH cheaper than flights ex London. And you could check flights from Dublin too.

Sorry if I misled you about Google Flights.

PS: are you driving the coastal route or via I-5?

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 7:05 pm

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
Lootman wrote:Google Flights should let you do that. Top left, instead of selecting one-way or return, click on Multi-City. This allows you to book each leg of the itinerary separately, and therefore vary the cabin class.

Yes it is not at all uncommon for people to want a lie flat seat eastbound but be happy with premium economy westbound.

BA and AA fly between London and Seattle, last time I looked. Both do LHR-LAX as well, along with Virgin. so you could try the individual airline sites to see if they allow for this.

I flew Stockholm (ARN)-LAX a few weeks ago in Business on FinnAir non-stop and it was MUCH cheaper than flights ex London. And you could check flights from Dublin too.

Sorry if I misled you about Google Flights.

PS: are you driving the coastal route or via I-5?

Thanks. BA website does what I want and not an unreasonable price. AA website doesn't do what I want.

I agree I will have a look at FinnAir as they code share with BA /AA. Not looked at Aer Lingus just yet.

Now I am retired, it's a family road trip so actual day by day route will be coastal road. Mostly anyway. I have been before a few years ago so once I get there the only problem likely is how much everything seems to cost now.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » August 17th, 2022, 7:12 pm

BullDog wrote:Thanks. BA website does what I want and not an unreasonable price. AA website doesn't do what I want.

I agree I will have a look at FinnAir as they code share with BA /AA. Not looked at Aer Lingus just yet.

Now I am retired, it's a family road trip so actual day by day route will be coastal road. Mostly anyway. I have been before a few years ago so once I get there the only problem likely is how much everything seems to cost now.

Aer Lingus is now in OneWorld as well although I am not sure they are fully in the cosy BA/AA/IB/FinnAir TATL club.

And yes, the coastal road US-1 is fabulous if you have the time. I recommend San Luis Obispo, CA (a tad inland from Pismo Beach). And Crater Lake, Oregon if it is not too far out of your way (turn right at Grant's Pass, OR) :D

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 7:30 pm

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:Thanks. BA website does what I want and not an unreasonable price. AA website doesn't do what I want.

Aer Lingus is now in OneWorld as well although I am not sure they are fully in the cosy BA/AA/IB/FinnAir TATL club.

And yes, the coastal road US-1 is fabulous if you have the time. I recommend San Luis Obispo, CA (a tad inland from Pismo Beach). And Crater Lake, Oregon if it is not too far out of your way (turn right at Grant's Pass, OR) :D

Thanks. Yes I know Pismo Beach, San Luis Obispo. Some very nice small towns around there, boutique wineries. Very upmarket. Stayed there just over a week the last time I was there on business in Santa Maria.

This time it's a post retirement family road trip, much more relaxed. Probably about three weeks over there.

Indeed, it seems Aer Lingus don't (yet) have the same code shares as the other airlines in the IAG business.

Cheers.

BD

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » August 17th, 2022, 8:12 pm

Interestingly, on that stretch (but slightly further North) we preferred Cayucos.

The main reason was that it was a throwback to (at least) the 1970's - the perfect antidote to the commercialisation, enjoyable as it was, of the previous week or so at Disneyland, Universal Studios etc.

Regards, Newroad

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » August 17th, 2022, 8:23 pm

Newroad wrote:Interestingly, on that stretch (but slightly further North) we preferred Cayucos.

The main reason was that it was a throwback to (at least) the 1970's - the perfect antidote to the commercialisation, enjoyable as it was, of the previous week or so at Disneyland, Universal Studios etc.

Regards, Newroad

Thanks. Always good to hear other's experience. Other than the start and finish points and three weeks duration, everything else between LA and Seattle is up for grabs.

Return to “Airport Lounge”