Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Virgin Holidays Website

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Virgin Holidays Website

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 30th, 2019, 10:11 pm

I've been looking at Virgins website to [potentially] book a holiday in August to Orlando.

I identified the Hotel and everything else. But wasn't sure we needed a car. The exact same holiday has now shown up as four different costs in a period of about 28hrs. And that's comparing apples with apples.

I won't bore you with the costs quoted but the difference in price per person ranged over £140 or for three of us £420

I couldn't keep pace with it. As quick as we sat down and discussed what we wanted to include the price changed.

Is this "normal"?

I currently can't see me going with Virgin if this is how they treat [potential] customers.

AiYn'U

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Re: Virgin Holidays Website

Postby TahiPanasDua » December 31st, 2019, 10:07 am

I think this is far from unusual. Consider the following from 2 days ago.

1. I checked prices for our usual hotel in Vienna on hotels.com. The price seemed slightly high and they declared "only 3 rooms left"....in mid January ???? ...... pull the other one!!!
2. I cross-checked with skyscanner.com and the lowest price was.....guess what.....hotels.com again but at a lower price and seemingly plenty rooms left.
3. I then checked again directly with the hotel, which is how we usually book, and we got an even lower price.

We go to Vienna around twice a year as we used to live nearby.

TP2.

PS. 2 return flights Edinburgh/Vienna on our usual Easyjet at GBP 100 was half the price of 2 rail returns Edinburgh/Hampshire for Christmas. Doesn't seem right somehow.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 31st, 2019, 10:55 am

TahiPanasDua wrote:I think this is far from unusual. Consider the following from 2 days ago.

1. I checked prices for our usual hotel in Vienna on hotels.com. The price seemed slightly high and they declared "only 3 rooms left"....in mid January ???? ...... pull the other one!!!
2. I cross-checked with skyscanner.com and the lowest price was.....guess what.....hotels.com again but at a lower price and seemingly plenty rooms left.
3. I then checked again directly with the hotel, which is how we usually book, and we got an even lower price.

We go to Vienna around twice a year as we used to live nearby.

TP2.

PS. 2 return flights Edinburgh/Vienna on our usual Easyjet at GBP 100 was half the price of 2 rail returns Edinburgh/Hampshire for Christmas. Doesn't seem right somehow.

Thank you for your reply.

I have moved to a status of Def Hol 1 - it's war I tell you - war :lol:

I took the liberty of contacting Virgin (text). It would appear that they do not have any control over the hotel prices and these change regularly as bookings are made. I have awoken this morning to find the cost of the holiday has gone up yet again. I think if I was spending a small amount I would put it down to experience. However, this is a significant amount and I think my first monetary value, "sleep on it" applies.

It's also possible that this will work to my advantage, albeit I am not sure how to implement that yet.

I have made it clear to Virgin that I am unable to join in with their mode of sale. Clearly there's an AiY rethink needed, as one door closes, another one slams in your face :roll:

AiYn'U

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » December 31st, 2019, 11:26 am

It is common in the travel industry and is known as dynamic pricing https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_pricing

We have a couple of holiday lets and one agent we spoke to made great play of their dynamic pricing, but I don't like it as a consumer so didn't want to use it as a seller.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 31st, 2019, 11:47 am

Supply and demand is not really changing that quickly.

They are using gamification so that you will be desparately checking the website 10 times per day and then jumping on the lowest price without stopping to think if this is the holiday you really want.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » December 31st, 2019, 12:00 pm

The other 'call to action' that these websites use is to let you know that '15 other people are interested in this hotel'.

It's to make you think you'd better get in quick, while there are still vacancies. What it doesn't say is that these 15 (or however many) people aren't necessarily looking for the same dates as you.

It also makes you feel that you've made a good choice - after all 15 other people think it's a good'un too. The feel-good vibe that comes with that probably has a medical name?

Watis

BBLSP1
2 Lemon pips

Postby BBLSP1 » December 31st, 2019, 2:03 pm

Best to delete cookies each time you view or use a different machine/ device if possible.

Once the website 'sees' you looking the price generally goes up each time.

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » December 31st, 2019, 3:41 pm

I find the whole pricing system an absolute pain in the bottom.

Two weeks ago I was offered a price of £62 for Madeira on easyJet, in late January, a good price, I thought, but didn't book immediately.

A week later, an email from the airline announced their sale was on, and guess what? The sale price is 5 per cent higher! I still haven't booked, and the price is now £70, so I would think I won't be going.

sns

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 31st, 2019, 3:46 pm

Lanark wrote:Supply and demand is not really changing that quickly.

They are using gamification so that you will be desperately checking the website 10 times per day and then jumping on the lowest price without stopping to think if this is the holiday you really want.

I sent Virgin a text early this morning

Whilst I believe in capitalism & all the wonders it delivers I am bereft of thought at how anyone can spend upwards of £XK on a holiday without first "sleeping on it". On this occasion I will defer to that value which has seen me well through my years. I wish Virgin well. It is, however, highly unlikely that we will be able to shop with Virgin as the price point movements are simply outside of the boundaries we have set when it comes to spending our money.

AiYn'U

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » December 31st, 2019, 4:04 pm

Def Hol 1
For Immediate Release

Progress stalled due to the AiY women demanding to go shopping :shock:. Secondary mission achieved - 11 fish in daughters fish tank (aquarium) 8-) :lol:

Early scouting mission deployed at first opportunity indicates secondary strategy worth pursuing

1. Flight only
  2. Hotel only
  3. Car only
Maximum saving over Virgin [chosen hotel] "package" holiday approx. 33%. Saving over budget = 42%.

Similar savings using other package holiday providers where prices don't seem to "fluctuate" excessively or frequently. Dependant upon "hotel".

(Note to self - feel smug you deserve it :roll: (My bad :lol: )

AiYn'U

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 31st, 2019, 4:07 pm

scottnsilky wrote:I find the whole pricing system an absolute pain in the bottom.

Two weeks ago I was offered a price of £62 for Madeira on easyJet, in late January, a good price, I thought, but didn't book immediately.

A week later, an email from the airline announced their sale was on, and guess what? The sale price is 5 per cent higher! I still haven't booked, and the price is now £70, so I would think I won't be going.

That actually does make sense. The cheaper tickets for a January flight to Madeira will likely have been sold after a 2 week hiatus, it's only going to get more expensive as it approaches.

Scott.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » December 31st, 2019, 4:36 pm

Watis wrote:The other 'call to action' that these websites use is to let you know that '15 other people are interested in this hotel'.

It's to make you think you'd better get in quick, while there are still vacancies. What it doesn't say is that these 15 (or however many) people aren't necessarily looking for the same dates as you.

Someone dug into that recently by examining the website code and the number was simply generated by a random number algorithm.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » January 1st, 2020, 7:50 pm

Def Hol 1
For Immediate Release

It's sort of good news and bad news I think. The good news seems to be the bad news all belongs to Virgin :roll:

Have done my homework :ugeek:

The Hotel
Orbitz is an American website. The Hotel we want to stay at is about £200 (accounting for local service charges) cheaper than Virgin's price for "Hotel Only". The deposit is the daily rate plus tax and the balance is paid upon arrival. Noting the hotel in question is owned by one of the Theme Park's we are visiting in week 1 and in real terms the deposit is about £80 so not a huge "risk/loss" if it goes pear shaped.

The Flight
Plenty of websites out there with similar "flight only prices" using Virgin Atlantic. Couldn't tell you if this is cheaper than Virgin as their website for "flights only" is a complete car crash and I couldn't navigate my way round to get a price.

Hotel & Flight
I need to factor in £100 for transfers. But rough and ready numbers suggest it should be about 30% cheaper to avoid a "package holiday" and buy the parts separately.

AiYn'U 8-)

scottnsilky
Lemon Slice

Postby scottnsilky » January 2nd, 2020, 3:56 pm

Glad to hear you have sorted it out to your satisfaction, as for buying the parts separately, I always do, because package holiday hotels are not to my taste.

Have a good time.

sns

Return to “Airport Lounge”