Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Postby redsturgeon » February 19th, 2020, 10:02 am

I've opened this one to avoid cluttering the US thread.

My starters for 10.

France would have been high on my list, somewhere near Bordeaux but since I've given up eating meat then I guess that might not be the best.

I would now look further east and maybe somewhere like Koh Samui or Bali would fit the bill.

John

PinkDalek
Lemon Half

Re: If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Postby PinkDalek » February 19th, 2020, 1:45 pm

As paulypilot used to say, Cheese (as an alternative to meat in France)!

My answer to your question is the United Kingdom.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 19th, 2020, 1:55 pm

I do not know but I do not think it would be the UK. OTOH I would like somewhere which has got seasons so it would tend to cut out much of the far east, however much I like going there on holiday.

Probably somewhere like Italy.

Dod

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 19th, 2020, 1:57 pm

As an English-only speaker, with lots of practise at failing to learn foreign languages, I'd limit my choice to an English speaking area. Prefereably not just ex-pats as that would seem to defeat the point of a move to a different culture.

New Zealand would probably be my first choice if I was to leave the UK; good weather, civilised culture, great countryside and cities. The downside is it's a little way away for frequent trips back to visit friends and family...

Almost as far, but with closer neighbours, Tasmania; although I'd have to be selective as to where to settle so as to avoid the regular forest fires that devastate swathes of land on a fairly frequent basis.

VRD

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 19th, 2020, 3:38 pm

Wanaka, South Island, NZ.

Best place I've ever spent any decent length of time. It's a lakeside town, has seasons, wonderful outdoors, hiking, bars and restaurants, and frisbee golf (two municipal, free, courses no less)!

Becoming too popular now, but still worth the trip.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 19th, 2020, 11:20 pm

vrdiver wrote:Almost as far, but with closer neighbours, Tasmania; although I'd have to be selective as to where to settle so as to avoid the regular forest fires that devastate swathes of land on a fairly frequent basis.

always found the fires in Taz to be bloody painful on the eyes given the high eucalyptus content (vs bush fires on the mainland)

we found ourselves evacuated last year when we were staying near Zeehan (the west is a bit more wild)
- saying that it's tied top of my list (with the middle of Sweden) and it's the place I'm most likely going to end up (once kids have moved out)

-sd

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 20th, 2020, 1:52 am

servodude wrote:
vrdiver wrote:Almost as far, but with closer neighbours, Tasmania; although I'd have to be selective as to where to settle so as to avoid the regular forest fires that devastate swathes of land on a fairly frequent basis.

always found the fires in Taz to be bloody painful on the eyes given the high eucalyptus content (vs bush fires on the mainland)

we found ourselves evacuated last year when we were staying near Zeehan (the west is a bit more wild)
- saying that it's tied top of my list (with the middle of Sweden) and it's the place I'm most likely going to end up (once kids have moved out)

-sd

Was in Tasmania about five years ago for an extended holiday (scuba and motorhome touring). The fires were pretty rough that year too, but what a beautiful place!
I like Sweden too, come to think of it; worked in Stockholm and Gothenburg over quite a few years with various projects. Actually, I think it was the Swedes I liked - the weather was not always so good ...

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 20th, 2020, 2:12 am

vrdiver wrote:
servodude wrote:

-sd

Was in Tasmania about five years ago for an extended holiday (scuba and motorhome touring). The fires were pretty rough that year too, but what a beautiful place!
I like Sweden too, come to think of it; worked in Stockholm and Gothenburg over quite a few years with various projects. Actually, I think it was the Swedes I liked - the weather was not always so good ...

Tassie weather's can a bit hit or miss too truth be told
- wouldn't be a problem except for the fact that most places are not insulated; staying with my inlaws in Hobart feels like camping!

beautiful place though and really varied throughout the island

- sd

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 20th, 2020, 11:21 am

I would find it hard to live anywhere in the 'new world' where a building 100 years old is seen as ancient or anywhere with a mono-culture (if there is a such a word) that is bland. That cuts out North America and I guess Australia and New Zealand (although I've not been there). I've never been to Asia, ANZ or South America so am not that widely travelled.

I love Europe: you can travel a few hundred miles and discover different cultures, languages/dialects, architecture, food etc. I have always had a wish to live for a year in France, Portugal or Italy. Following recent travels, I would add Spain as an option. I'd like to immerse myself in a language and culture. I can get by speaking French and did once study Italian for fun, so a year spent in either country would get me fairly fluent I'd imagine. I would not be interested in living in an ex-pat community. While I understand that people enjoy the comfort and security of speaking English, reading British newspapers and having a British or Irish pub to visit, that kind of defeats the point of travelling in my opinion.

My main interests are music and history and I like my food and drink, so Europe does it for me. Having just returned from Andalusia, I've ordered a book on the musical aspects of Flamenco because I find it captivating, yet slightly alien - although I can recognise some of the modal scales they use (phrygian being one, in case anyone is interested) and did my best to follow the complex rhythmic patterns. I want to get inside the music and I want to know what the songs are about. So Europe for culture for me. However, I think I would like to travel to Asia and learn more about other cultures too. Anyone for a bit of gamelan music?

C

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 20th, 2020, 11:31 am

Clariman wrote:I would find it hard to live anywhere in the 'new world' where a building 100 years old is seen as ancient or anywhere with a mono-culture (if there is a such a word) that is bland. That cuts out North America and I guess Australia and New Zealand (although I've not been there). I've never been to Asia, ANZ or South America so am not that widely travelled.

I love Europe: you can travel a few hundred miles and discover different cultures, languages/dialects, architecture, food etc. I have always had a wish to live for a year in France, Portugal or Italy. Following recent travels, I would add Spain as an option. I'd like to immerse myself in a language and culture. I can get by speaking French and did once study Italian for fun, so a year spent in either country would get me fairly fluent I'd imagine. I would not be interested in living in an ex-pat community. While I understand that people enjoy the comfort and security of speaking English, reading British newspapers and having a British or Irish pub to visit, that kind of defeats the point of travelling in my opinion.

My main interests are music and history and I like my food and drink, so Europe does it for me. Having just returned from Andalusia, I've ordered a book on the musical aspects of Flamenco because I find it captivating, yet slightly alien - although I can recognise some of the modal scales they use (phrygian being one, in case anyone is interested) and did my best to follow the complex rhythmic patterns. I want to get inside the music and I want to know what the songs are about. So Europe for culture for me. However, I think I would like to travel to Asia and learn more about other cultures too. Anyone for a bit of gamelan music?

C

But for the obvious problems at the moment, I would have been happy to have stayed on in Hong Kong which I know well. It has seasons and a long hot and humid summer. It also has still quite a bit of unspoilt countryside for walking and is an excellent jumping off point to visit other places round and about.

I cannot understand why anyone would want to live in Australia. It must be one of the most boring places on earth. Except that it does not have seasons, Singapore might be another place to consider.

Dod

tea42
Lemon Slice

Postby tea42 » February 20th, 2020, 11:48 am

Having been to every continent and 45 countries in my lifetime I couldnt see myself settling comfortably anywhere except here in England. A village culture located just an hour or so outside places like NYC, Boston, or Melbourne might appeal because it would be easy to access theatre, galleries, museums, gigs and concerts whilst enjoying living in a vibrant community with the added advantage of the English language. That said, thats not where I am now having moved from South Oxfordshire to Devon where I am missing the oodles of culture that I once enjoyed. Perhaps I might be missing something due to the necessarily brief encounters with foreign parts. Being naturally curious I enjoyed all my travels immensely, I cannot remember being anywhere which I disliked, but like Devon I am finding it takes a long time to get under the skin of any place.

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Postby BrummieDave » February 20th, 2020, 11:52 am

With a nod of agreement to Clariman, Europe is indeed unique; where else can you hop on a plane, train, or even bus, and go from one country to another, one major city to another, and change cultures, geography, foods, drinks, and many more aspects of the overall experience. Living in Europe, including the UK, gives you this flexibility for holiday purposes, and was a major contributor to my decision to stay here when the opportunity to emigrate to NZ came up a few years ago. Depending on whose definition you use, there are over 40 countries in Europe, and the diversity of experience this creates for a traveller is unmatched.

Conversely, although Dodd makes a similar point about HK being a good jumping off point to visit other places, the older I get the less tolerant of humidity I become. Give me the dry heat (or cold) of an American desert climate over the humidity of Hong Kong or Singapore anyday. I find hot, damp weather most uncomfortable and physically draining; I was well into my 50s until I realised that it isn't so much the temperature, hot or cold, that makes one feel uncomfortable, it's more the moisture content.

So it looks like I'm anchored to living in the UK, taking mini breaks to other parts of Europe, and longer holidays in warm, dry, climates! :D

vrdiver
Lemon Quarter

Postby vrdiver » February 20th, 2020, 1:42 pm

Clariman wrote:I would find it hard to live anywhere in the 'new world' where a building 100 years old is seen as ancient or anywhere with a mono-culture (if there is a such a word) that is bland. That cuts out North America and I guess Australia and New Zealand

For Australasia, if you are limiting history to European involvement, fair enough, but there is a wealth of indiginous history that is alive and well, along with all the aspects of cultural clashes and developments as the Europeans arrived. It may not be full of dates and lists of kings and battles, but rather a rich mythology available for study, should you so wish.

My personal experience in the USA is that indiginous history has not really survived (outside of Hollywood) and that the dominant story is a much more youthful, energetic version of European history of the last couple of hundred years. However, you would be trading access to a slumbering millenia of archives and stone for a vibrancy and exuberance that is not often found in Europe to the same extent.

Dod101 wrote:I cannot understand why anyone would want to live in Australia. It must be one of the most boring places on earth. Except that it does not have seasons, Singapore might be another place to consider.

I liked Singapore to visit for short breaks, but I wouldn't want to live there. The very real government censorship and control was something I found oppressive, even if the results are evident in the reductions in crime and general prosperity.

Australia and New Zealand, at the edge of the asian world, as well as full of Europeans and indiginous people, can be a real melting pot of ideas and cultures. The flora and fauna (especially if you are into marine species as well) is incredibly diverse and there is plenty to do and see that would take more than my lifetime!

Neighbours has a lot to answer for in presenting itself as the face of Australian society!

VRD

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » February 20th, 2020, 2:15 pm

vrdiver wrote:
Clariman wrote:I would find it hard to live anywhere in the 'new world' where a building 100 years old is seen as ancient or anywhere with a mono-culture (if there is a such a word) that is bland. That cuts out North America and I guess Australia and New Zealand

For Australasia, if you are limiting history to European involvement, fair enough, but there is a wealth of indiginous history that is alive and well, along with all the aspects of cultural clashes and developments as the Europeans arrived. It may not be full of dates and lists of kings and battles, but rather a rich mythology available for study, should you so wish.

That is good to know and I would find that very interesting. My experience of lack of indigenous history is based on my trips to the US where I would concur fully with your comments ...
My personal experience in the USA is that indiginous history has not really survived (outside of Hollywood) and that the dominant story is a much more youthful, energetic version of European history of the last couple of hundred years.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 20th, 2020, 2:40 pm

vrdiver wrote:I liked Singapore to visit for short breaks, but I wouldn't want to live there. The very real government censorship and control was something I found oppressive, even if the results are evident in the reductions in crime and general prosperity.

Australia and New Zealand, at the edge of the asian world, as well as full of Europeans and indiginous people, can be a real melting pot of ideas and cultures. The flora and fauna (especially if you are into marine species as well) is incredibly diverse and there is plenty to do and see that would take more than my lifetime!

Neighbours has a lot to answer for in presenting itself as the face of Australian society!

VRD

Well Australia is not full of anything and really is very boring although I grant you that flora and fauna in plentiful where it has not been destroyed by bush fires anyway. Much of the city life though is like a tropical London except that it is more boring. I do like the outdoor lifestyle though. I could never live there though.

Dod

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Postby Eboli » February 20th, 2020, 6:04 pm

My tap root is too deep in London for me to move now. But if I were 40 years younger I would add a vote for New Zealand. Fantastic place, great people with great attitudes and spectacular countryside. Over half the population lives in or north of Hamilton (North Island) and it gets very sparse the further south you go from there. I'm off to visit it again for another 6 weeks this coming weekend as late summer is a great time to go. The only place that has ever come near to NZ for me has been Tinos, Greece - but for very, very different reasons.

Eb.

TahiPanasDua
Lemon Slice

Postby TahiPanasDua » February 24th, 2020, 11:04 am

What an interesting thread!!!! We did actually live and work in 7 countries over 42 years and loved most of them but for very different reasons.

An important discriminant is, I feel, your own personality as not everyone can easily adapt to new environments and cultures. We are all different so there are no rules. Also, visiting on holiday and actually living there are quite different.

Here is a quick synopsis of our own experiences of liveability (in chronological order from mid-70s).

1. Malaysia. Absolutely loved the friendly people, multi-ethnic society and great food. Absolutely unnecessary but learning a bit of the language enhanced the experience.
2. Hong Kong. Lived here in 2 sessions for 29years including 11 in retirement. We love the place despite the overcrowding, horrific cost of living and pollution, the latter driving us out in the end.
3. Philippines. Loved the people but the murder rate in the early 80s, and witnessing an actual murder, made this the only no-go destination.
4. Taiwan. Not an obvious choice for holidays but the people are gorgeous making this a surprisingly good place to live.
5. Slovakia. Where....????? We loved Bratislava, despite the (then) crap food and wine. The historic old town is lovely but the main attraction is the central European location. It's a great place to get out of. Wonderful Vienna is a short commute away for weekend jaunts and you can cycle to the border of Austria and Hungary. Great for cheap train trips to Poland and Italy. Loved it.
6. Romania. Great people and there are interesting historical cities to visit but it is a huge country so distances can be daunting..
7. Sri Lanka. Fabulous food, great accommodation, low cost of living and great beaches and hill towns to visit. The poverty and people's apparent disregard for others was a downer for us.

Still awake?

TP2.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Postby AsleepInYorkshire » February 24th, 2020, 11:09 pm

TahiPanasDua wrote:What an interesting thread!!!! We did actually live and work in 7 countries over 42 years and loved most of them but for very different reasons.

An important discriminant is, I feel, your own personality as not everyone can easily adapt to new environments and cultures. We are all different so there are no rules. Also, visiting on holiday and actually living there are quite different.

Here is a quick synopsis of our own experiences of liveability (in chronological order from mid-70s).

1. Malaysia. Absolutely loved the friendly people, multi-ethnic society and great food. Absolutely unnecessary but learning a bit of the language enhanced the experience.
2. Hong Kong. Lived here in 2 sessions for 29years including 11 in retirement. We love the place despite the overcrowding, horrific cost of living and pollution, the latter driving us out in the end.
3. Philippines. Loved the people but the murder rate in the early 80s, and witnessing an actual murder, made this the only no-go destination.
4. Taiwan. Not an obvious choice for holidays but the people are gorgeous making this a surprisingly good place to live.
5. Slovakia. Where....????? We loved Bratislava, despite the (then) crap food and wine. The historic old town is lovely but the main attraction is the central European location. It's a great place to get out of. Wonderful Vienna is a short commute away for weekend jaunts and you can cycle to the border of Austria and Hungary. Great for cheap train trips to Poland and Italy. Loved it.
6. Romania. Great people and there are interesting historical cities to visit but it is a huge country so distances can be daunting..
7. Sri Lanka. Fabulous food, great accommodation, low cost of living and great beaches and hill towns to visit. The poverty and people's apparent disregard for others was a downer for us.

Still awake?

TP2.

I lived in Kowloon as a child for 3 years. I don't remember a great deal. Stinka's market, the ferry to Hong Kong & RAF Kai tak. Dad was in the RAF.

What I do remember is when we returned to the UK we stayed at my grandparents for 3 months and I schooled at the local primary school. I cried when Dad told me I was leaving as we had our quarters prepared.

As I grow old I don't recall all those people who have been in my life. Associates, colleagues, even friends and family ... sad I know.

AiYn'U

Return to “Airport Lounge”