Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Claiming refunds re travel (covid19)

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Re: Claiming refunds re travel (covid19)

Postby malkymoo » August 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm

I have just got a notification from Singapore Airways that they will issue a refund for cancelled return flights from Australia, originally scheduled for end of March. These were the final two flights of a 5-flight itinerary, including a visit to New Zealand. Have not received the cash yet, they say that will take another few weeks. Refund value seems very fair, within a few pounds of what I calculated myself on a milage basis.

I don't mind the delay in getting the refund, given the unprecedented situation, but I think communication could have been better. This is the first thing from them since March, a few emails saying they were working on the situation would have been reassuring.

I am still well down financially, the replacement flights I had to buy (Qatar Airlines) cost a lot more than the refund.

langley59
Lemon Slice

Postby langley59 » August 10th, 2020, 2:44 pm

langley59 wrote:
langley59 wrote:
langley59 wrote:Still playing my game of poker with Easyjet here. I have until midnight tonight to claim a voucher for the value of my flight booked for July 10th. I'm tempted to gamble and hope that the flight is cancelled and I get a cash refund in due course. The government travel advice still says that non essential travel should be avoided. Even with the suggested air bridge arrangements, opeing up of pubs/restaurants etc and relaxation of the 2 metre rule how on earth can a flight take off with a full compliment of passengers in these circumstances? There would surely have to be no more than one passanger per row and empty rows between these.

So I'm going to gamble but fully expect to be disappointed and lose my money...

It seems like my gamble paid off as I received a further email from Easyjet this morning, the day after the expiry of the offer to claim a voucher, notifying me that my outward flight is now cancelled and I can claim a refund (albeit subject to a delay due to high volumes). I guess I will have to wait 10 days or so for them to (hopefully) notify me that my inward bound flight is also cancelled.

So for anyone else in a similar predicament this seems to be how the system works.

Just to advise that Easyjet cancelled my return flight today so I can now attempt to claim a refund for both flights.

Just to note that I received my refund from Easyjet approx. a month after claiming it.

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » November 2nd, 2020, 9:49 am

Hi,

I've had a fair few flights cancelled this year, all booked before Covid, and I've got back all my money, more or less.

Having said that, I supposedly only got vouchers from Vueling and Air Asia, probably worthless, but in chasing other refunds via chargeback (debit card), my bank has actually paid me money for the time that the money was out of my account, at a very generous interest rate, and those funds effectively cancel the rogue airlines that I didn't chase up.

I found Easyjet paid up within 5 weeks on several flights, but Ryanair had to be forced to pay back my money. The same is true of Turkish Airlines, for a much bigger airfare.

So credit card and debit card refunds do work, if yiou're prepared to join a phone queue for up to an hour. Make yourself a cuppa and switch on the TV. You supposedly have 120 days after either the cancellation or the flight date to make the claim.

As for the latest news, I think travel is merely "discouraged" rather than banned, hence the budget carriers are kess likely to cancel all November flights, as they get the money already paid if they fly.

Not a worry for me as I'm already abroad, and don't plan to return for a good while yet.

Cheers
Taurus

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 2nd, 2020, 2:42 pm

TaurusTheBull wrote:As for the latest news, I think travel is merely "discouraged" rather than banned, hence the budget carriers are kess likely to cancel all November flights, as they get the money already paid if they fly.

Yes, it seems that there is a "ban" on foreign travel but no mechanism for enforcing it at the airport. And since the airlines are not cutting flights then people can actually fly simply by showing up at the airport. I am not aware that there will be any checks at the airport about whether your travel is for one of the exempted reasons. So your main risk might be being stopped by a cop on your way to the airport.

As such the airlines won't be giving refunds becuse, unlike April, the flights will still operate. I took a flight last month and the plane was only about 10% full of passengers, but the pilot said they had a full takeoff weight because of all the extra cargo they are flying around. Any fares paid by passengers were just a bonus, and probably an annoyance.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 3rd, 2020, 5:56 pm

Lootman wrote:
TaurusTheBull wrote:As for the latest news, I think travel is merely "discouraged" rather than banned, hence the budget carriers are kess likely to cancel all November flights, as they get the money already paid if they fly.

Yes, it seems that there is a "ban" on foreign travel but no mechanism for enforcing it at the airport. And since the airlines are not cutting flights then people can actually fly simply by showing up at the airport. I am not aware that there will be any checks at the airport about whether your travel is for one of the exempted reasons. So your main risk might be being stopped by a cop on your way to the airport.

As someone due to fly on the 4th December I have some interest in this.

However for the first time in years I booked a package rather than individual components, so there shouldn't be an issue getting a refund if the lockdown is extended as there is no way they can refuse if leisure travel is illegal even if the planes are flying.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 3rd, 2020, 6:07 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

However for the first time in years I booked a package rather than individual components, so there shouldn't be an issue getting a refund if the lockdown is extended as there is no way they can refuse if leisure travel is illegal even if the planes are flying.

Yes, my current understanding is that people who have booked package holidays are in a better position than those who booked flights and hotels separately.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 4th, 2020, 2:20 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:Yes, it seems that there is a "ban" on foreign travel but no mechanism for enforcing it at the airport. And since the airlines are not cutting flights then people can actually fly simply by showing up at the airport. I am not aware that there will be any checks at the airport about whether your travel is for one of the exempted reasons. So your main risk might be being stopped by a cop on your way to the airport.

Yes, my current understanding is that people who have booked package holidays are in a better position than those who booked flights and hotels separately.

An article today suggests that there isn't really a travel ban at all in the legislation as written:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/0 ... n-dropped/

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » November 4th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Lootman wrote:
Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:As someone due to fly on the 4th December I have some interest in this.

An article today suggests that there isn't really a travel ban at all in the legislation as written:

https://www.headforpoints.com/2020/11/0 ... n-dropped/

And as the article notes, SI 2020/1200 Reg 6(2)(g) provides an exception to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property—
(i) visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes;
(ii) viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or to rent;
(iii) preparing a residential property to move in;
(iv) moving house;
(v) visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property;

If it looks like the 'lockdown' is to be extended past the date I am due to travel it looks like I should contact some estate agents at my destination and arrange a few viewings for rental.

Return to “Airport Lounge”