Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Anyone got any recent Hotel Experiences?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
feder1
Lemon Slice

Anyone got any recent Hotel Experiences?

Postby feder1 » July 17th, 2020, 11:22 am

This could be a rapidly changing scene and I was thinking of UK travel really and staying a hotel somewhere.

We are wondering how enjoyable it is with current rules and would like hear some first hand experiences please.

It is a bit like cruises and Cruise Critic reports that most people are not liking the suggested restrictions for when cruises get going again.

didds
Lemon Half

Re: Anyone got any recent Hotel Experiences?

Postby didds » July 17th, 2020, 11:58 am

Not really sure if this totally fits the query but my son has to stay in hotels across Europe (inc UK) for his job albeit more of a Premier Inn experience than a 5 star luxury resort style etc, and has done so since Lockdown etc begun. His experiences have been fine wrt perceived safety etc ... but hotel restaurants/accompanying eateries have mostly been closed of course so he has to have used takeaway options etc. The biggest change not surprisingly has been the hotels have been pretty empty and at times he has been the only person staying in one. In some cases he has had to stay in the nearest open hotel which was quite some distance from the job site.

didds

feder1
Lemon Slice

Postby feder1 » July 23rd, 2020, 12:02 pm

One of our friends has reported that their recent stay in a hotel at Bridlington was good - “all covid 19 regulations followed at hotel, so felt very comfortable”.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 30th, 2020, 4:14 pm

Snorvey wrote:4 of us have just come back from a short break near Aviemore. We have stayed there before and the main differences between now and in the past are.....

Staff all wearing face masks
Hand sanitizer everywhere.
Plastic screens up at reception etc
Table service only for everything. From ordering breakfast (previously is was a buffet type arrangement) to a round of drinks (I.e. no one allowed near the bar)
The usual food menu selection was reduced.
No staff will enter your room during your stay.
All the eating rooms were open for all meals (I.e. the breakfast room was in use for dinner etc). All tables were well spaced inside and out.
No entertainment and the background music was kept low. (No singing allowed)

But with all that in mind, the staff were superb. Happy, cheery, couldn't do enough. The place was really busy (particularly families / groups heading out on mountain bikes)

Loved it. And everyone was so pleased to be there. There was a real buzz about the place.

Out of interest (given this is primarily an investment site - although I acknowledge this section isn't) what was "pricing" like?

Sounds like costs are up, so are they charging more to try and recoup some of this, or are they having to "discount" to get people through the door?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 30th, 2020, 5:02 pm

Snorvey wrote:Out of interest (given this is primarily an investment site - although I acknowledge this section isn't) what was "pricing" like?

Sounds like costs are up, so are they charging more to try and recoup some of this, or are they having to "discount" to get people through the door?

The pricing was roughly what I've paid for a 2 night dinner bed and breakfast package in the past, there and at other similar hotels - given it is the 'summer' peak season in Aviemore (the town itself was really quite busy)

We did speak to the owner near the end of the second night and he said he was probably at 2/3 capacity - but with about half the staff back working (with the rest ready to go at very short notice). It appeared that most guests were taking the DBB package which was good for him because they spent more in the bar and most there were on some kind of outdoor activity break, so very little 'in house' entertainment needed during the day at least (and most were just tired and hungry by the time they got back).

I'll be honest, I half expected that we would be the be the only folk there, but I was pleasantly surprised when we arrived to a very nearly full hotel car park.

Thank you

Return to “Airport Lounge”