Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Making Future Plans for European Break

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
neversay
Lemon Slice

Making Future Plans for European Break

Postby neversay » November 17th, 2020, 11:18 am

It has been a rough year for everyone. I want to start planning a European break to give the family (kids aged 10 and 13) something to look forward to when this is eventually over. Just having a target destination in mind would be nice.

We like to plan our own itinerary and favour authentic places, either history or natural beauty, where we can do walking, cycling etc as well as sea and sun, rather than crowds and package holiday hotels. Provence and Tuscany have been nice in the past and my wife and kids have been talking about Greece during the lockdown.

Could anyone share any personal favourite destinations to help us narrow the search?

Many thanks.

swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Making Future Plans for European Break

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 11:58 am

Crete. Great place, loads to do. Bigger than you think, as big as Wales. North West probably my favourite for walking, with Chania as a base.

Scott.

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Postby 77ss » November 17th, 2020, 4:41 pm

neversay wrote:It has been a rough year for everyone. I want to start planning a European break to give the family (kids aged 10 and 13) something to look forward to when this is eventually over. Just having a target destination in mind would be nice.

We like to plan our own itinerary and favour authentic places, either history or natural beauty, where we can do walking, cycling etc as well as sea and sun, rather than crowds and package holiday hotels. Provence and Tuscany have been nice in the past and my wife and kids have been talking about Greece during the lockdown.

Could anyone share any personal favourite destinations to help us narrow the search?

Many thanks.

Puglia. Sea, cycling, walking, food, history, scenery.

Rhodes ditto (although I preferred the food in Puglia).

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » November 17th, 2020, 5:14 pm

To add another option - the Costa de la Luz in south west Spain. From Tarifa in the south, up to the border with Portugal. Far quieter and more authentic than either the Algarve on one side and Costa del Sol on the other.

White villages like Vejer de la Frontera, quiet beaches in Zahora, Bolonia etc. Also Cadiz city, Jerez for the sherry, day trip to Gibraltar if you like. Roman ruins, natural parks.

Scott.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 17th, 2020, 5:18 pm

Great suggestions @swill453 and @77ss - thank you! :)

zico
Lemon Quarter

Postby zico » November 18th, 2020, 5:20 pm

Southern Black Forest is nice for walking and cycling, though not a cheap area. Hinterzarten, St.Margen are good bases.
Liguria is off the package-holiday track, nice coastline good for walking (though not cycling unless you're superfit) - Rapallo is a good base, typically Italian seaside town, with mostly Italian tourists.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » November 19th, 2020, 10:25 am

Barcelona. City stuff plus beach.

muckshifter

Postby muckshifter » November 24th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Cinque Terra is worth considering perhaps? I particularly like Vernazza, but have often stayed in Monterosso. The "five lands" are all small settlements on the coast of Liguria set against cliffs usually, with footpaths between them and ferries and rail stations (the train journey is all tunnels and sudden glimpses of the sea). Food is usually good if you like Italian.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » November 26th, 2020, 11:34 am

Super recommendations, thanks.

We called by Cinque Terra lasts summer but found the towns inaccessible by car (which is usually a good sign). We ended up staying a couple of nights around the corner in Sanremo which we all enjoyed.

Barcelona is an interesting one. I loved it on my last visit and normally wouldn't hesitate to go back. However, the last couple of friends who visited vowed to never return due to bad experiences, one still being pickpocketed despite being a savvy traveller and well aware of the risk. The coast upwards to Begur and a trip inland to the Dali Theatre-Museum in Figueres is very special.

muckshifter

Postby muckshifter » December 1st, 2020, 4:45 pm

neversay,
I used to go to the Cinque Terra quite often, but the last time would be perhaps 13 years ago, and talking to my Daughter recently she said that it has changed since then and is now packed every Summer like Venice, so beware!

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 2nd, 2020, 8:59 am

muckshifter wrote:neversay,
I used to go to the Cinque Terra quite often, but the last time would be perhaps 13 years ago, and talking to my Daughter recently she said that it has changed since then and is now packed every Summer like Venice, so beware!

Quite. We tried to approach the villages by car and they were jammed on all approach roads. On the same holiday we took the kids over to Florence which was so unbearably packed we had to leave. So disappointing after my first wonderful visit there with a backpack 25 years ago (feels like yesterday).

Such is the problem with overtourism which, just traffic congestion, wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for all those other pesky people. ;)

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » December 2nd, 2020, 10:24 am

For a city based break, I would highly recommend Valencia. I've been to many Spanish cities but keep returning to Valencia. Not as large and commercial as Barcelona but still large enough at 750,000 population to have all the facilities; friendly local vibe; dry reclaimed river bed running for miles through the middle with extensive cycle paths; local enormous beach; far enough south to get great weather; old town quarter.

Valencia feels like a Spanish city that happens to get a few tourists, unlike some places such as Barcelona and Mallorca that sometimes feel like they are full of tourists with just a few Spaniards!

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 2nd, 2020, 11:16 am

bluedonkey wrote:For a city based break, I would highly recommend Valencia. I've been to many Spanish cities but keep returning to Valencia. Not as large and commercial as Barcelona but still large enough at 750,000 population to have all the facilities; friendly local vibe; dry reclaimed river bed running for miles through the middle with extensive cycle paths; local enormous beach; far enough south to get great weather; old town quarter.

Valencia feels like a Spanish city that happens to get a few tourists, unlike some places such as Barcelona and Mallorca that sometimes feel like they are full of tourists with just a few Spaniards!

Thank you. I've never been to Valencia or Seville which my wife wants to visit again.

Authenticity is really important.

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » December 2nd, 2020, 11:52 am

Seville is very popular with tourists. Nicknamed the "frying pan of Spain" due to its extremely high summer temperatures.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2020, 12:07 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Seville is very popular with tourists. Nicknamed the "frying pan of Spain" due to its extremely high summer temperatures.

A nice day trip from the Costa de la Luz, as mentioned earlier ;-)

Scott.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 2nd, 2020, 1:22 pm

bluedonkey wrote:Seville is very popular with tourists. Nicknamed the "frying pan of Spain" due to its extremely high summer temperatures.

Yes, my wife mentioned that it is el scorchio.

swill453 wrote:A nice day trip from the Costa de la Luz, as mentioned earlier ;-)
Scott.

That seems like the top option at present.

I'm intrigued that nobody has mentioned Greece which was the place bandied around by the kids (possibly after watching Mamma Mia). I only ever made it as far as Athens (several times) and never felt a strong urge to return. :)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » December 2nd, 2020, 1:27 pm

neversay wrote:I'm intrigued that nobody has mentioned Greece

Ahem...

swill453 wrote:Crete. Great place

Scott.

neversay
Lemon Slice

Postby neversay » December 2nd, 2020, 1:28 pm

:oops:

I have visited Crete and enjoyed it, staying in the mountains and visiting some nice (and very hot) archaeological sites.

HarryCat

Postby HarryCat » December 3rd, 2020, 5:07 pm

swill453 wrote:To add another option - the Costa de la Luz in south west Spain. From Tarifa in the south, up to the border with Portugal. Far quieter and more authentic than either the Algarve on one side and Costa del Sol on the other.

Scott.

Some of the towns/villages around the Ria Formosa in the Algarve are lovely. The Ria Formosa is a lagoon (not a river!) with several islands, a large national park and many walking/ cycling routes.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/27/the-real-algarve-olhao-village-beaches-splendid-seafood

Chris

Return to “Airport Lounge”