Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Limitations on taking food to NI

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Wizard
Lemon Quarter

Limitations on taking food to NI

Postby Wizard » August 8th, 2021, 7:45 pm

My daughter and two friends are going to Northern Ireland on holiday in mid September. They are going self catering and would like to take some of the food with them. Struggling to find a clear list of the applicable restrictions on personal imports of food. Have found some references to weight and quantity limitations and other references to complete bans on some items.

Does anyone know of a website with a clear run down of the rules?

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Limitations on taking food to NI

Postby servodude » August 9th, 2021, 4:17 am

Wizard wrote:My daughter and two friends are going to Northern Ireland on holiday in mid September. They are going self catering and would like to take some of the food with them. Struggling to find a clear list of the applicable restrictions on personal imports of food. Have found some references to weight and quantity limitations and other references to complete bans on some items.

Does anyone know of a website with a clear run down of the rules?

Give this a go: https://www.daera-ni.gov.uk/articles/summary-personal-food-import-restrictions#toc-2

The following items are banned:

all meat and meat products
all milk and dairy products
some plants and plant products considered high risk
loose soil

The following items are restricted
- all plants for planting including bulbs, corms, tubers, cuttings and rhizomes, all cut flowers, grasses and foliage and all fresh vegetables and fruit except Pineapple, Durian, Dates, Bananas and Coconuts
- fish, bivalves (dead) and fish/fishery products - no more than 20kg total weight (fish must be gutted if fresh, or processed ie cooked, cured, dried or smoked) 2kg total weight combined per person.

The rules apply to any products carried in your personal luggage or sent by post (including those ordered online) and even if they’re for yourself, bought in a shop (including at an airport), home-grown/made or vacuum packed.

I know they are allowed to but for the love of their fellow man please stop them from taking Durian!!

It's going to be a lottery as to whether they get checked for anything though

I probably wouldn't bother taking any food these days, there's not that much difference in the range in shops
- and I've only really taken local stuff like haggis over for a laugh in the past

- sd

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Re: Limitations on taking food to NI

Postby 1nvest » August 20th, 2021, 2:34 am

Remainer biased parliament (unelected Lords etc.) seems to be on course to eject NI from the UK and into the EU, have Scotland separate out also and back into the EU, UK divided and conquered and England/Wales also likely to subsequently divide/taken back in. All part of century+ of German desires/objective of conquest of Europe and beyond.

Viewed as NI being EU already - just absent the people having officially voted for such, there are similar barriers to foods as if entering other EU countries.

Return to “Airport Lounge”