Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Travel to Australia?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Travel to Australia?

Postby BullDog » February 7th, 2022, 1:18 pm

Thinking about booking travel to Tasmania for later this year or very early 2023. Something I have been wanting to do for sometime, but covid came along.

From February 21st border restrictions are being relaxed. So -

Passengers arriving in most Australian states can avoid quarantine by providing a negative PCR test three days before their flight or a supervised lateral flow test 24 hours before departure.

But..... what if the PCR or lateral flow test is positive? I can't see a holiday travel insurance policy covering a cancellation?

Hesitant to book something for so much money when there's still uncertainty about travel.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Travel to Australia?

Postby Lootman » February 7th, 2022, 2:02 pm

BullDog wrote:Thinking about booking travel to Tasmania for later this year or very early 2023. Something I have been wanting to do for sometime, but covid came along.

Passengers arriving in most Australian states can avoid quarantine by providing a negative PCR test three days before their flight or a supervised lateral flow test 24 hours before departure.

But..... what if the PCR or lateral flow test is positive? I can't see a holiday travel insurance policy covering a cancellation?

Hesitant to book something for so much money when there's still uncertainty about travel.

I don't know specifically about Australia, but airlines have been sympathetic in response to positive tests and have been willing to reschedule. This is written from a US perspective but covers some possibilities:

"Delta’s website provides the following information about what happens if you test positive before beginning travel:

Customers who receive a positive PCR test result will need to postpone their trip, should self-isolate in accordance with health guidelines and should not come to the airport for check-in. Customers will receive an eCredit for the unflown portion of their ticket and change fees will be waived.

When asked about what happens if a passenger tests positive, an American Airlines spokesperson said, “We have an existing policy that makes exceptions for people with illnesses or health-related issues prior to traveling on American. With proper documentation, we work with the customer to meet their travel needs.”

A United spokesperson echoed the sentiment, saying, “All of our normal change and cancellation [or] refund options would apply if a customer tested positive during their travels."

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/test-pos ... e%20waived.

I have done four long-haul trips since Covid started and not had a problem. I figure worst case I might have to defer a flight for a week but that has not proven necessary.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » February 7th, 2022, 2:28 pm

BullDog wrote:Thinking about booking travel to Tasmania for later this year or very early 2023. Something I have been wanting to do for sometime, but covid came along.

I agree with you. I have a stepson in Perth WA and usually see him over our winter, incorporating it into a trip round the Far East. I would not dream of booking it at the moment though and anyway I usually book around early December for a late January departure date the following year. That has always worked for me as I am totally flexible as to exact dates and hopefully by December this year the world will have settled down again or at least we will have well established requirements for dealing with Covid.

Dod

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 7th, 2022, 2:48 pm

Dod101 wrote:

I agree with you. I have a stepson in Perth WA and usually see him over our winter, incorporating it into a trip round the Far East. I would not dream of booking it at the moment though and anyway I usually book around early December for a late January departure date the following year. That has always worked for me as I am totally flexible as to exact dates and hopefully by December this year the world will have settled down again or at least we will have well established requirements for dealing with Covid.

Dod

My sympathy. Awful being kept away from close family. It appears WA is yet again foot dragging on the international travel policies. Such a shame, I truly think the Great Southern region of WA is one of very best places on earth. Perth is a terrific place to live and to visit.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 7th, 2022, 2:54 pm

BullDog wrote:But..... what if the PCR or lateral flow test is positive? I can't see a holiday travel insurance policy covering a cancellation?

Our travel insurer, via our Nationwide FlexPlus account, changed their terms last October to restore cancellation cover should Covid-19 be diagnosed.

Scott.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 7th, 2022, 2:58 pm

swill453 wrote:
BullDog wrote:But..... what if the PCR or lateral flow test is positive? I can't see a holiday travel insurance policy covering a cancellation?

Our travel insurer, via our Nationwide FlexPlus account, changed their terms last October to restore cancellation cover should Covid-19 be diagnosed.

Scott.

OK. We are with Barclays in a bundled account. Worth me checking that. Thanks for the idea.

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 7th, 2022, 11:42 pm

BullDog wrote:
swill453 wrote:

Scott.

OK. We are with Barclays in a bundled account. Worth me checking that. Thanks for the idea.

It has started to reappear in coverage but it's not always easy to find out where or to what degree

I've just taken a policy out with covermore.com.au (part of https://www.zurich.com/ )for a local school trip to the NT that should get the funds back if the kid comes down with it and can't go; but it took being told about it by the school to find it
- it might be worth a chat with an "expert" given the likely sums involved?

While there's a bunch of hoops to jump through (the airline, federal and state rules being run by separate and often competing dudes) the travel restrictions look to have been wound back really quickly and I'd expect there to be a fair bit of normality very quickly (I was in Tassie over Xmas and the difference even in that two weeks was marked).
As part of that I'd expect more insurers to come out of the woodwork with COVID appropriate cover.

The car hire situation in Tassie though - no idea when that will be fixed!

- sd

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 8th, 2022, 11:54 am

BullDog wrote:It appears WA is yet again foot dragging on the international travel policies. Such a shame, I truly think the Great Southern region of WA is one of very best places on earth. Perth is a terrific place to live and to visit.

Last time we went to Oz we only visited WA. We really enjoyed Great Southern too, especially the brilliant under the radar wines from around Mount Barker and Porongurup. We stayed in Fremantle rather than Perth and then drove down to Margaret River, staying in Prevelly for a week. If you like great food and wine, there are far worse places to stay for a week! :) Then continued down to Cape Leeuwin before heading East to Denmark, and then onto Albany, before returning to Perth up the 30. Didn't really have long enough as I was working. I'd love to go again staying for much longer now I'm retired and head further West of Albany. It all seems so long ago now after the last couple of years... Just the thought of going cheers me up!

All the best, Si

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 8th, 2022, 12:50 pm

simoan wrote:
BullDog wrote:It appears WA is yet again foot dragging on the international travel policies. Such a shame, I truly think the Great Southern region of WA is one of very best places on earth. Perth is a terrific place to live and to visit.

Last time we went to Oz we only visited WA. We really enjoyed Great Southern too, especially the brilliant under the radar wines from around Mount Barker and Porongurup. We stayed in Fremantle rather than Perth and then drove down to Margaret River, staying in Prevelly for a week. If you like great food and wine, there are far worse places to stay for a week! :) Then continued down to Cape Leeuwin before heading East to Denmark, and then onto Albany, before returning to Perth up the 30. Didn't really have long enough as I was working. I'd love to go again staying for much longer now I'm retired and head further West of Albany. It all seems so long ago now after the last couple of years... Just the thought of going cheers me up!

All the best, Si

Agreed. I lived in WA for a while. Sometimes, I wish I still did :roll:

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » February 8th, 2022, 1:46 pm

Hi Simoan/BullDog.

Given that you already went via Denmark to Albany, did you mean going further east of Albany (e.g. towards Bremer Bay or perhaps even as far as Esperance)?

On the greater Margaret River area, if you're back there, try breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe at Gnarabup - probably my favourite area down there - a little further South than Prevelly. Conversely, going North towards Cape Naturaliste, there are a number of good choices, but Bunker Bay is probably my favourite (also has a decent cafe/restaurant).

The wineries are all pretty decent in the South West* (and Great Southern), but I would argue slightly too expensive for the quality. For a red, give me a Coonawarra Shiraz or for a white, a Hunter Valley Semillon in preference.

Regards, Newroad

* and most of the originals, started by doctors, e.g. Vasse Felix (Cullity), Cullens (Cullen) etc - the latter also famous for the Busselton Health Survey

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 8th, 2022, 1:56 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Simoan/BullDog.

Given that you already went via Denmark to Albany, did you mean going further east of Albany (e.g. towards Bremer Bay or perhaps even as far as Esperance)?

On the greater Margaret River area, if you're back there, try breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe at Gnarabup - probably my favourite area down there - a little further South than Prevelly. Conversely, going North towards Cape Naturaliste, there are a number of good choices, but Bunker Bay is probably my favourite (also has a decent cafe/restaurant).

The wineries are all pretty decent in the South West* (and Great Southern), but I would argue slightly too expensive for the quality. For a red, give me a Coonawarra Shiraz or for a white, a Hunter Valley Semillon in preference.

Regards, Newroad

* and most of the originals, started by doctors, e.g. Vasse Felix (Cullity), Cullens (Cullen) etc - the latter also famous for the Busselton Health Survey

Thank you. Myself, I never travelled along that part of the South coast beyond Albany. I figured, perhaps wrongly, that Esperance would be Denmark all over again. Perhaps being a bit unfair to Esperance! It is a fairly a long drive from Denmark though if you're not sure about it.

My own viniculture "finds" in the region are Single File winery in the forest near Denmark. Stunning cool climate sparkling wines. Really yummy.

And up at Margaret River, Woody Nook winery. A wonderful, juicy Cabernet Sauvignon, tastes to me as good as anything in the region at a fraction of the price of the big shot wineries like Cullen.

All nostalgic now about my time in WA :!:
;)

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » February 8th, 2022, 2:45 pm

Hi BullDog.

It's been a long time since I was in Denmark and an even longer time since I was in Esperance (where I recall meeting a nice girl named Charlene, but that's another story) so I'm no longer qualified to say. I would expect the beach and surf to be better at Esperance, but may even be wrong in that.

I don't know Woody Nook and I don't recall trying it's wines, but will check it out next time - I'm more of a Shiraz guy and whilst they (and others in the region) do one, they don't stand out IMO. Conversely, if you like Cab Sav, as it seems, the region is a good choice. It's on the Metricup Road (more or less) - not too far from the prime/original area along Caves Road, so could well have decent terroir.

If I were going into the Great Southern, I would be looking for bone-dry Rieslings as my wine of choice.

Regards, Newroad

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » February 8th, 2022, 3:01 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi BullDog.

It's been a long time since I was in Denmark and an even longer time since I was in Esperance (where I recall meeting a nice girl named Charlene, but that's another story) so I'm no longer qualified to say. I would expect the beach and surf to be better at Esperance, but may even be wrong in that.

I don't know Woody Nook and I don't recall trying it's wines, but will check it out next time - I'm more of a Shiraz guy and whilst they (and others in the region) do one, they don't stand out IMO. Conversely, if you like Cab Sav, as it seems, the region is a good choice. It's on the Metricup Road (more or less) - not too far from the prime/original area along Caves Road, so could well have decent terroir.

If I were going into the Great Southern, I would be looking for bone-dry Rieslings as my wine of choice.

Regards, Newroad

Thanks. Margaret River is definitely more cabernet than shiraz territory. Funnily enough, I visited Woody Nook because they are one of very few Margaret River wineries that bottle tempranillo without blending with another grape. Perhaps the only one. And that's how I discovered their premium cabernet sauvignon vintages.

Cheers!

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 8th, 2022, 5:06 pm

Of course. Yes, I meant head East of Albany towards Esperance. Sorry!
Newroad wrote:On the greater Margaret River area, if you're back there, try breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe at Gnarabup - probably my favourite area down there - a little further South than Prevelly. Conversely, going North towards Cape Naturaliste, there are a number of good choices, but Bunker Bay is probably my favourite (also has a decent cafe/restaurant).

Thanks. I would definitely go and stay in the same property in Prevelly again. As it happens we used to walk along the beach to have a laid back breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe. Great eggs on sourdough and coffee. Also enjoyed walking north to the mouth of the river and heading up to Surfers Point early evening to watch the action with a couple of beers.
Newroad wrote: The wineries are all pretty decent in the South West* (and Great Southern), but I would argue slightly too expensive for the quality. For a red, give me a Coonawarra Shiraz or for a white, a Hunter Valley Semillon in preference.

Regards, Newroad

Of course, wine preference is a very personal thing. My other half has a WSET Diploma so we're fairly choosy and happen to think mixing Cabernet and Syrah is an abomination! :) We have visited Coonawarra on a previous trip and really enjoyed the Cabernets.

In MW we visited McHenry Hohnen (the single vineyard Chardonnays are fabulous), Cullen, Vasse Felix, Fraser Gallop (lovely Bordeaux varietal reds and whites) Pierro, Voyager Estate (very boozy lunch with wildfire on the way!!) and best of all a brilliant boutique winery called Si Vintners over in Rosa Glen. Well, I would love wines with my name on the label, but they also happen to be fantastically interesting natural, minimal intervention wines too! :)

In Great Southern we loved the wines at Castle Rock and Ngeringa, and there were some very good wines at Harewood Estate and Plantagenet.

All the best, Si

EDIT: just noticed you mentioned a Coonawarra Shiraz. Don't remember them doing Shiraz in Coonawarra so assumed it was some kind of Cab/Shiraz blend. Sorry! :)

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 8th, 2022, 5:26 pm

simoan wrote:

Of course. Yes, I meant head East of Albany towards Esperance. Sorry!
Newroad wrote:On the greater Margaret River area, if you're back there, try breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe at Gnarabup - probably my favourite area down there - a little further South than Prevelly. Conversely, going North towards Cape Naturaliste, there are a number of good choices, but Bunker Bay is probably my favourite (also has a decent cafe/restaurant).

Thanks. I would definitely go and stay in the same property in Prevelly again. As it happens we used to walk along the beach to have a laid back breakfast at the White Elephant Cafe. Great eggs on sourdough and coffee. Also enjoyed walking north to the mouth of the river and heading up to Surfers Point early evening to watch the action with a couple of beers.
Newroad wrote: The wineries are all pretty decent in the South West* (and Great Southern), but I would argue slightly too expensive for the quality. For a red, give me a Coonawarra Shiraz or for a white, a Hunter Valley Semillon in preference.

Regards, Newroad

Of course, wine preference is a very personal thing. My other half has a WSET Diploma so we're fairly choosy and happen to think mixing Cabernet and Syrah is an abomination! :) We have visited Coonawarra on a previous trip and really enjoyed the Cabernets.

In MW we visited McHenry Hohnen (the single vineyard Chardonnays are fabulous), Cullen, Vasse Felix, Fraser Gallop (lovely Bordeaux varietal reds and whites) Pierro, Voyager Estate (very boozy lunch with wildfire on the way!!) and best of all a brilliant boutique winery called Si Vintners over in Rosa Glen. Well, I would love wines with my name on the label, but they also happen to be fantastically interesting natural, minimal intervention wines too! :)

In Great Southern we loved the wines at Castle Rock (Great Rieslings!) and Ngeringa, and there were some very good wines at Harewood Estate and Plantagenet.

All the best, Si

EDIT: just noticed you mentioned a Coonawarra Shiraz. Don't remember them doing Shiraz in Coonawarra so assumed it was some kind of Cab/Shiraz blend. Sorry! :)

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » February 8th, 2022, 5:40 pm

Hi Simoan.

Australia's arguably pre-eminent red is a Shiraz/Cab Sav blend (only a little of the latter): Penfolds Grange
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penfolds_Grange

My usual tastes however are far more modest - my staple for many years was Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz. There are more expensive Shiraz's from that stable (and others) worth a look. Further, as you allude to, Coonawarra is a premium Cab Sav region as well.
https://www.wynns.com.au/en-gb/shiraz-2020-8055077.html

Speaking of staples and referring to my predilection for Hunter Valley Semillon, mine was Mount Pleasant's Elizabeth Semillon. Not that I'm at all a Monarchist (quite the opposite) but it's a been a fine drop over the years
https://mountpleasantwines.com.au/produ ... h-semillon

Perhaps worth a nudge given it's her Platinum Jubilee?

Regards, Newroad

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 8th, 2022, 6:11 pm

Newroad wrote:Hi Simoan.

Australia's arguably pre-eminent red is a Shiraz/Cab Sav blend (only a little of the latter): Penfolds Grange
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penfolds_Grange

Yes, I know. One exception doesn't disprove a rule though! Also supposedly the most expensive wine in the world IIRC. We visited Penfolds on one of our three trips to the Barossa. I'll be honest I find their wines a little too austere for my tastes, not to mention expensive. We tried some John Duval wines too and same thing. They are made for keeping though so will not excel when tasted young. Someone bought me a bottle of the St. Henri's Shiraz as a leaving present 7 years ago and I still have it. Should attack it with the Coravin some time...

My usual tastes however are far more modest - my staple for many years was Wynns Coonawarra Shiraz. There are more expensive Shiraz's from that stable (and others) worth a look. Further, as you allude to, Coonawarra is a premium Cab Sav region as well.
https://www.wynns.com.au/en-gb/shiraz-2020-8055077.html

Trying to remember where we went in Coonawarra. Balnaves and Zema Estate, I think. Only there for one day as we were on our way south from Adelaide to the GOR. I remember it was hot as hell that day (45C) and even the locals were whingeing. Didn't feel much like tasting wine tbh.

Speaking of staples and referring to my predilection for Hunter Valley Semillon, mine was Mount Pleasant's Elizabeth Semillon. Not that I'm at all a Monarchist (quite the opposite) but it's a been a fine drop over the years
https://mountpleasantwines.com.au/produ ... h-semillon

Perhaps worth a nudge given it's her Platinum Jubilee?

Regards, Newroad

I've never really got on with dry varietal Semillon tbh. Love it with a good dose of noble rot though! I think I tried the Mount Pleasant at a wine tasting at Noel Young's several years ago.

All the best, Si

Newroad
Lemon Quarter

Postby Newroad » February 8th, 2022, 7:06 pm

I did it the opposite direction, Simoan.

Roughly

Melbourne
    Geelong
    Great Open Road
    Mt Gambier
    Penola/Coonawarra
    Adelaide

There are a few decent wines coming out of Padthaway these days too.

Regards, Newroad

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Postby simoan » February 8th, 2022, 11:16 pm

Newroad wrote:I did it the opposite direction, Simoan.

Roughly

Melbourne
    Geelong
    Great Open Road
    Mt Gambier
    Penola/Coonawarra
    Adelaide

Regards, Newroad

Sounds like the reverse of the route we took except we skipped Melbourne and took the ferry across to the Mornington Peninsula. Made it to Melbourne eventually via Wilson’s Promontory, Healsville and the Yarra Valley. This thread has made me realise how much we love travelling and how much I’ve missed it…

servodude
Lemon Half

Postby servodude » February 9th, 2022, 5:03 am

simoan wrote:
Newroad wrote:I did it the opposite direction, Simoan.

Roughly

Melbourne
    Geelong
    Great Open Road
    Mt Gambier
    Penola/Coonawarra
    Adelaide

Regards, Newroad

Sounds like the reverse of the route we took except we skipped Melbourne and took the ferry across to the Mornington Peninsula. Made it to Melbourne eventually via Wilson’s Promontory, Healsville and the Yarra Valley. This thread has made me realise how much we love travelling and how much I’ve missed it…

The Yarra Valley has the Vic wine tour "thing" mostly sewn up but if you ever have the time, and like shiraz, I can recommend a detour to Tahblik: https://tahbilk.com.au/ (it's a bit further north off the road heading towards Shepparton)

You can pick up some of their stuff in Tesco (who were instrumental in convincing them to move to screwtops)
- but it's not quite the same as at the cellar door :)

- sd

Return to “Airport Lounge”