Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Anyone used Priority Pass?

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Anyone used Priority Pass?

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2022, 2:01 pm

I've just received an offer for Priority Pass for 1 year: £34 + £20 per lounge, £122 including 10 free visits, £339 unlimited.

At least 90% of my journeys are within Europe, on 320s etc and short enough so I don't care about where I sit. I pop in my earphones, read and often nod off. ;) But I've always very much appreciated using the airport lounges.

Reviews I've found seem to be very mixed. They seem to suggest that, although flying business class will automatically get you a lounge, using the Priority pass may not, even if it's on the list. Since the difference in price between normal and business class is usually more than a year's subscription to Priority Pass, I can see why they might impose limits.

Anyone used it?

Steve

Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Anyone used Priority Pass?

Postby Lootman » February 16th, 2022, 2:12 pm

I had PP for 4 years with, as you note from elsewhere, mixed results.

I usually have access to an airline lounge and so PP was just a backup for me if an airline lounge wasn't available, such as in the US where typically flying Business or First won't get you into the airline lounge if flying domestically (except Alaska Air). In general the PP lounges are of lower quality than airline lounges, although some PP lounges ARE airline lounges!

One thing to note is that as a PP member you are the lowest rung on the ladder for being admitted to a lounge even if you are theoretically entitled to enter. If the lounge is reaching capacity it is the PP folks who get turned away first.

At some airports there are PP restaurants so you get a benefit not from a lounge but with a credit for food and drinks at the restaurant, maybe 15/20 quid per person or so. I have used that, including twice in the same afternoon at SeaTac where there are two PP restaurants.

Overall I think it is a useful perk if you have a premium credit card that includes it with the annual fee. But I would not pay an annual membership fee for it, given that my BA status gets me into the BA First class lounges anyway

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » February 16th, 2022, 5:05 pm

I use a Lounge Key pass (which is pretty much the same thing) but comes "free" as a bundle with a MasterCard World Elite credit card. You can get the latter from HSBC or Santander amongst others. With Santander I pay a £15 per month fee for the card which is then offset by cashback at a rate of 0.5% until you hit the £15. Lounge access is then free. Lounge access is also free for any additional card holders you can add (eg partners or adult children) up to 3 additional card holders.

After cashback it costs me maybe £60 - £100 per year. Not much use the last couple of years but hopefully more use now the airports are reopening!

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 16th, 2022, 6:35 pm

stevensfo wrote:Anyone used it?

No.

Been offered it but never seen the point as when flying these days I don’t seem to actually spend much time in the airport, and if I did end up with time I would sooner spend the equivalent in one of the restaurants.

wanderer wrote:With Santander I pay a £15 per month fee for the card which is then offset by cashback at a rate of 0.5% until you hit the £15.

So £36,000 a year spend to get back the £180 in fees. I would have though most people with that type of spend would have been getting the lounge included with their tickets.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » February 16th, 2022, 6:44 pm

AF62 wrote:
wanderer wrote:I use a Lounge Key pass (which is pretty much the same thing) but comes "free" as a bundle with a MasterCard World Elite credit card. You can get the latter from HSBC or Santander amongst others. With Santander I pay a £15 per month fee for the card which is then offset by cashback at a rate of 0.5% until you hit the £15. Lounge access is then free. Lounge access is also free for any additional card holders you can add (eg partners or adult children) up to 3 additional card holders.

So £36,000 a year spend to get back the £180 in fees. I would have though most people with that type of spend would have been getting the lounge included with their tickets.

Yeah I had the HSBC Premier MasterCard World Elite credit card as well, and dumped it after 2 years. It can just about make sense for 2 years as you get two signon bonuses that, taken together, give you 40,000 Avios plus more for whatever you spend.

After the second year, it's really not a good deal. Better to get an Amex Platinum if you really want the travel perks and don't mind paying an annual fee for a credit card.

Ironically one of the reasons why PP isn't so great is that so many people have it with their premium credit cards that it makes the lounges more crowded, defeating their purpose which is to be a haven from crowded terminals.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2022, 7:15 pm

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote:
wanderer wrote:I use a Lounge Key pass (which is pretty much the same thing) but comes "free" as a bundle with a MasterCard World Elite credit card. You can get the latter from HSBC or Santander amongst others. With Santander I pay a £15 per month fee for the card which is then offset by cashback at a rate of 0.5% until you hit the £15. Lounge access is then free. Lounge access is also free for any additional card holders you can add (eg partners or adult children) up to 3 additional card holders.

Yeah I had the HSBC Premier MasterCard World Elite credit card as well, and dumped it after 2 years. It can just about make sense for 2 years as you get two signon bonuses that, taken together, give you 40,000 Avios plus more for whatever you spend.

After the second year, it's really not a good deal. Better to get an Amex Platinum if you really want the travel perks and don't mind paying an annual fee for a credit card.

Ironically one of the reasons why PP isn't so great is that so many people have it with their premium credit cards that it makes the lounges more crowded, defeating their purpose which is to be a haven from crowded terminals.

Well, as the OP, I should state that I have no real desire for a paid-for credit card. I'm not a big spender! ;) Having said that, I do appreciate the protection that a credit card gives, and after reading around, the AMEX Gold card seems to work out more or less the same price as the 'non-discounted' standard Priority Pass membership, so a bit more research may be needed. https://www.headforpoints.com/2022/02/0 ... rd-review/ I have no idea what 20,000 membership points means.

As I said, my trips are over 90% in Europe and to be honest, on those occasions when I've used a lounge, it's never been even close to full. One reason I'm thinking about this is because I use Luton rather a lot, and as I think was discussed a while ago, is the absolute pits, so any oasis to keep my blood pressure low would be worth its weight in gold. Then again, the Hard Rock cafe in Malta airport is almost as nice as the lounge. Though not as quiet. 8-)

Steve

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 16th, 2022, 8:38 pm

stevensfo wrote:One reason I'm thinking about this is because I use Luton rather a lot, and as I think was discussed a while ago, is the absolute pits, so any oasis to keep my blood pressure low would be worth its weight in gold.

Ah, lovely Luton airport where they would charge you to breath if they could.

And it isn’t quite the utter pit it was a few years ago when they were still using the manky old 1970s circular terminal for the Ryanair flights.

Many years ago I had the misfortune to be delayed for six hours there; I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Fortunately the flight delay compensation paid up, eventually, which took some of the sting out of it.

wanderer
2 Lemon pips

Postby wanderer » February 16th, 2022, 8:40 pm

stevensfo wrote:after reading around, the AMEX Gold card seems to work out more or less the same price as the 'non-discounted' standard Priority Pass membership, so a bit more research may be needed.

Only 2 free passes per year with Amex gold, I think, unless you are looking at something different to me.

AF62 wrote:So £36,000 a year spend to get back the £180 in fees. I would have though most people with that type of spend would have been getting the lounge included with their tickets.

Not in my case. I'm a cheapskate on flights but appreciate somewhere to sit in the airport and have a cup of coffee. Or two.

Obviously, YMMV and it's horses for courses but to my mind c£100 per annum for unlimited lounge passes for me and the wife feels like pretty good value to me compared with the alternatives. It's not difficult to earn cashback on a MasterCard as it's accepted pretty much everywhere. Unlike some charge cards I could mention.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2022, 9:58 pm

AF62 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:One reason I'm thinking about this is because I use Luton rather a lot, and as I think was discussed a while ago, is the absolute pits, so any oasis to keep my blood pressure low would be worth its weight in gold.

Ah, lovely Luton airport where they would charge you to breath if they could.

And it isn’t quite the utter pit it was a few years ago when they were still using the manky old 1970s circular terminal for the Ryanair flights.

Many years ago I had the misfortune to be delayed for six hours there; I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Fortunately the flight delay compensation paid up, eventually, which took some of the sting out of it.

The pick-up, drop-off charges went up from free for the first 10 mins, to £1...£2...£3...£4...possibly £5 now, but I can't remember. They've spent a fortune in improving the look of the place, but all to the advantage of shops and zero to the weary traveller. God help a family of four if they just want to sit down together! :evil:

Though security has improved. There was a time when I felt quite nervous and the golden rule seemed to be 'don't make eye-contact'. These days they seem to employ more normal' people.

In second to worst place, was Stansted that I used for a long time. I can't remember a single journey without some sort of incident. The worst was a day when I was in Cambridge and waiting to get the Stansted express train. Every single train was cancelled and I ended up taking another train and taxi, but missed the plane. I phoned my wife and said I'd be coming home on the train.

But all trains were cancelled due to someone committing suicide on the line. Hmm, wonder why! True story, I swear!

Steve

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » February 16th, 2022, 10:26 pm

wanderer wrote:
stevensfo wrote:after reading around, the AMEX Gold card seems to work out more or less the same price as the 'non-discounted' standard Priority Pass membership, so a bit more research may be needed.

Only 2 free passes per year with Amex gold, I think, unless you are looking at something different to me.

Yes, the Gold card is £140 pa but free for the first year. It includes two free lounge visits, then the normal £20 per visit. Not sure what other benefits there are, if any.

The standard Priority Pass membership fee is £69 + £20 per visit, but the current membership fee offer is £34 for the first year. Or £189 for 10 free visits.

The Gold Amex card is £140 pa but free for the first year. It includes two free lounge visits, then the normal £20 per visit.

A thought in my little LBYM head ;) is, after reading quite a few reviews, I have the impression that someone with lounge access via their credit card is less likely to be refused than a Priority Pass member. But who knows? Maybe just carry on sitting in the greasy plastic chairs and try to avoid the spilt coffee. 8-)

Steve

Return to “Airport Lounge”