Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Make sure you get your passport stamped

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
UncleEbenezer
The full Lemon

Re: Make sure you get your passport stamped

Postby UncleEbenezer » August 7th, 2022, 12:06 pm

Lootman wrote:
Clariman wrote:Moral of the story - CHECK you passport has been stamped when entering an EU country.

What if the airport uses e-gates to process incoming passengers? Are you supposed to then hunt down an official and demand a stamp? I would have thought that the e-gate writes or records something electronically that can be subsequently read.

Even pre-Brexit I had a problem once going into and out of a Schengen zone country. The Schengen country (Portugal in this case) tried to match up my entry and departure, without success.

Sounds like a small dose of petty officialdom.

But 90 days is technically significant even within the EU. It's the longest you can stay in another country without demonstrating that you have the means to support yourself (usually work or pension) and healthcare provision. Unless the host country itself chooses to offer more generous terms. Hence the need to register with officialdom in a host country when you get a job abroad, as I did in Germany and later Italy.

Return to “Airport Lounge”