Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

Collapse of Customer Support at BA and the shambles at Heathrow

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Collapse of Customer Support at BA and the shambles at Heathrow

Postby terminal7 » June 30th, 2022, 6:42 pm

Once a frequent flyer of BA for work and play, I have been astounded by the complete lack of any ability to speak to customer support in the last few days. My wife is scheduled to fly this weekend from LHR to Italy and has tried to cancel her return flight. Following an initial response from an online inquiry, she tried to contact them on the number given as they said that they needed to speak to her. Every time (maybe 6/8 times) in the last three days her call has been automatically answered with a message stating that due to the large number of calls please phone back later. On looking on some relevant sites, it appears that numerous passengers are in the same dilemma. Furthermore, as I assume many Fools will have seen the airport authorities are imposing cuts on slots on the airlines - thereby causing last minute cancellations.

Actually having vast experience of the aviation sector (hence my 'name'), there appears to be a complete breakdown of communications between the HAL and the airlines. The current situation would have been easily forecast and the airlines should have been informed weeks ago that the airport (and its subcontractors) would be unable to cope with current levels of passenger demand. Furthermore, BA should themselves have been wary of potential capacity constraints at T5.

Of course we can ask - yet again - where is Michael Green (oops meant Grant Shapps) in all this? Maybe dealing with sorting out the railways? Er no - he has just unveiled 22-point plan to tackle flight disruption. Surely a plan is needed in advance of a predictable problem. There is a whole section at the DoT whom I am assured have made it clear for sometime to their political bosses that a disaster was approaching. Of course HAL is Spanish owned and BA a part of AIG - hmmm bit difficult for Shapps to get heavy with them. In the immortal words of his Leader 'F*** Business'.

T7

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Collapse of Customer Support at BA and the shambles at Heathrow

Postby BullDog » June 30th, 2022, 6:51 pm

Oh dear. I am sorry I can't offer anything but sympathy. I have recent experience of Gatwick and Manchester airports, BA and EasyJet. I am afraid all of those companies seem to be corporate train wrecks presently. I hope you manage a resolution soon to your problems. Good luck.

BigB
Lemon Slice

Postby BigB » July 1st, 2022, 8:53 am

I have been staggered at the mess BA appear to have been in over the last year. I've had numerous bookings cancelled/changed, and am waiting (months) already for responses on various issues.

I know that the travel/airline sectors have taken much of the worst of the pandemic uncertainty, and subsequently also with the difficult labour market with Brexit appearing to make it harder for UK than European operators to rehire/retrain.

I'm suspicious that some of the communication loop dead ends (web/phone, phone/web) can only be deliberate. They had 1-2 years to design/implement the processes and systems to support comms with customers, and it's worse than it's ever been. This from a business that deals with "disasters" routinely very few years: ash cloud, hurricanes, T5 failure, beast from the east etc.........

I'm cautious about BA and won't be making any new bookings with them atm.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 1st, 2022, 8:59 am

BA has been getting worse for years now. Even as a Gold member for the past 4 years with a dedicated phone line, I still have to wait for a while.

Although to be fair many airlines in many countries are having problems. I tried called Delta Airlines about a domestic US flight I am taking next month and was told by a recorded message that the wait time for an agent was over an hour.

I am flying out of Heathrow next week, but not on BA. Should be interesting.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 1st, 2022, 9:26 am

I read Skytrax review of the airlines and whilst I accept most if not all airlines have had major problems during covid, BA's reviews have always been amongst the worst and for that reason I never use BA (apart from one occasion back in the 90's when they were fine). For my routes/journeys there are alternatives. (I usually fly to the Far East and fly with Far Eastern Airlines). Though I dread to think which airline I would use to go to Portugal and Spain.

Noted that currently in the UK there is a problem with airport/airline ground staff shortages.

For info: https://www.airlinequality.com/review-p ... e-reviews/

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 1st, 2022, 9:35 am

richfool wrote:I dread to think which airline I would use to go to Portugal and Spain.

Re Portugal, I flew TAP from Dublin to San Francisco via Lisbon and it was a nice experience. The TATL flight was a brand new A330-900neo.

With Spain, Iberia is in bed with BA so you might have to fly there via Zurich or some such to avoid OneWorld.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 1st, 2022, 9:37 am

richfool wrote:I read Skytrax review of the airlines and whilst I accept most if not all airlines have had major problems during covid, BA's reviews have always been amongst the worst and for that reason I never use BA (apart from one occasion back in the 90's when they were fine). For my routes/journeys there are alternatives. (I usually fly to the Far East and fly with Far Eastern Airlines). Though I dread to think which airline I would use to go to Portugal and Spain.

Noted that currently in the UK there is a problem with airport/airline ground staff shortages.

I have given up on air travel now for this year. I have taken two flights this year, one short haul with EasyJet (Manchester) and one long haul business class with BA (Gatwick).

On both occasions the airport experience was poor, less so a Gatwick than Manchester but still poor. EasyJet is, EasyJet..... BA, the staff are miserable, surly and have a chip on their shoulder, it seems. The business class experience was not what I expect from a supposed blue chip airline.

The long and short of it is that the entire experience was miserable on both occasions. I have another short haul trip booked with EasyJet for the Autumn. I am seriously considering not bothering and just losing the fare.

I might consider booking longhaul business class again for Spring 2023. But at the moment prices seem to be all over the show with 2020 flights that cost ~£2500 now listing at more than £5000 for 2023.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 1st, 2022, 10:03 am

BullDog wrote:
richfool wrote:I read Skytrax review of the airlines and whilst I accept most if not all airlines have had major problems during covid, BA's reviews have always been amongst the worst and for that reason I never use BA (apart from one occasion back in the 90's when they were fine). For my routes/journeys there are alternatives. (I usually fly to the Far East and fly with Far Eastern Airlines). Though I dread to think which airline I would use to go to Portugal and Spain.

I have given up on air travel now for this year. I have taken two flights this year, one short haul with EasyJet (Manchester) and one long haul business class with BA (Gatwick).

On both occasions the airport experience was poor, less so a Gatwick than Manchester but still poor. EasyJet is, EasyJet..... BA, the staff are miserable, surly and have a chip on their shoulder, it seems. The business class experience was not what I expect from a supposed blue chip airline.

The long and short of it is that the entire experience was miserable on both occasions. I have another short haul trip booked with EasyJet for the Autumn. I am seriously considering not bothering and just losing the fare.

I might consider booking longhaul business class again for Spring 2023. But at the moment prices seem to be all over the show with 2020 flights that cost ~£2500 now listing at more than £5000 for 2023.

Apologies if I am taking this thread off topic, but, in response to Bulldog's point, yes, indeed. I have similar thoughts.

Currently I have a Bus class flight Heathrow to Bangkok booked with EVA Air (5 star 8/10 airline) for early next year. Though I had been pondering, with trying/sneaking in a new route idea, Southampton via AMS to BKK with KLM in November, but.

(1). I am recovering from an operation and am not sure I'll be up to it by then. (2). The reviews of both Southampton and Amsterdam airports are poor (and close to horrendous in the case of Southampton), and I dread to think what would result if I missed the connection in AMS, and (3). The reviews of KLM are not good either.

So am currently keeping my fingers crossed for 2023, if I am not too old and decrepit by then!

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 1st, 2022, 10:24 am

richfool wrote:
BullDog wrote:

Apologies if I am taking this thread off topic, but, in response to Bulldog's point, yes, indeed. I have similar thoughts.

Currently I have a Bus class flight Heathrow to Bangkok booked with EVA Air (5 star 8/10 airline) for early next year. Though I had been pondering, with trying/sneaking in a new route idea, Southampton via AMS to BKK with KLM in November, but.

(1). I am recovering from an operation and am not sure I'll be up to it by then. (2). The reviews of both Southampton and Amsterdam airports are poor (and close to horrendous in the case of Southampton), and I dread to think what would result if I missed the connection in AMS, and (3). The reviews of KLM are not good either.

So am currently keeping my fingers crossed for 2023, if I am not too old and decrepit by then!

Yes off topic, but just to say. Whatever you do, I seriously suggest definitely not swapping EVA Air for KLM.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 1st, 2022, 10:35 am

BullDog wrote:
richfool wrote:Currently I have a Bus class flight Heathrow to Bangkok booked with EVA Air (5 star 8/10 airline) for early next year. Though I had been pondering, with trying/sneaking in a new route idea, Southampton via AMS to BKK with KLM in November

Yes off topic, but just to say. Whatever you do, I seriously suggest definitely not swapping EVA Air for KLM.

I have never flown EVA Air but I feel sure you are correct.

My only concern would be that Taiwan is a long way around to get to Bangkok. Direct from Heathrow it is 2 hours longer, and then of course you have to go back on yourself to get to BKK.

Then again if you are collecting the air miles then fair enough. I have been known to take very circuitous routes in the past, and the time passes quicker on a better airline.

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » July 1st, 2022, 10:40 am

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:
richfool wrote:Currently I have a Bus class flight Heathrow to Bangkok booked with EVA Air (5 star 8/10 airline) for early next year. Though I had been pondering, with trying/sneaking in a new route idea, Southampton via AMS to BKK with KLM in November

My only concern would be that Taiwan is a long way around to get to Bangkok. Direct from Heathrow it is 2 hours longer, and then of course you have to go back on yourself to get to BKK.

Then again if you are collecting the air miles then fair enough. I have been known to take very circuitous routes in the past, and the time passes quicker on a better airline.

EVA are an excellent airline. I have flown with them many times, when living in or visiting Thailand. I prefer them to Thai, Malaysian.

EVA are one of only 3 airlines which fly direct to Bangkok (Thai, EVA and BA). EVA then fly on from there to Taipei.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » July 1st, 2022, 10:43 am

richfool wrote:EVA are one of only 3 airlines which fly direct to Bangkok (Thai, EVA and BA). EVA then fly on from there to Taipei.

Ah, a fifth freedom route, that makes more sense then. I just assumed everything went through their hub.

More generally I love fifth freedom flights. For instance you can fly to North America from Europe non-stop via Emirates or Singapore airlines, if you position yourself correctly.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 1st, 2022, 10:49 am

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:

Even more off topic! If you ever happen to find yourself routed via Taipei, it's well worth going a couple of days earlier to spend a day or two there before flying onwards.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 1st, 2022, 11:00 am

There was an ABTA chap on Times Radio this morning telling us that 97% of flights are running OK.
His name might have been Pangloss.

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » July 1st, 2022, 11:10 am

88V8 wrote:There was an ABTA chap on Times Radio this morning telling us that 97% of flights are running OK.
His name might have been Pangloss.

V8

And even if that's true, 3% of a large number of flights multiplied by say 180 people per flight, that is a very large number of very pi55ed off people.

Delays of half an hour at take off are normal procedure at Manchester Airport, it seems. To the extent I am left wondering why if all flights are routinely delayed by a half hour, then why they can't all be on time?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 1st, 2022, 1:10 pm

I travel 4/5 times pa to the south of France. Now given up air and either drive (for more than 10 days stay) or Eurostar/TGV (either via Lille or Paris). The former - so many great places to stopover en route - and the latter so relaxing and relatively cheap in 1st class for advanced tickets (with also oldie concessions)

My family also do similar.

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 1st, 2022, 10:35 pm

Wife just received email from BA stating flight has been cancelled for tomorrow and we have rebooked you for Monday. This must be wonderful news for all those on the flight who need to be there for Saturday pm or Sunday (weddings, start of holidays, picking up hire cars, informing hotels etc). Of course would you go if you had to come back in a few days time - with the major possibility of return being cancelled. As it happens my wife was going to attend a medical conference and many medics would have to be back at hospitals the day after the end of conference.

Phone number given on email if you don't want the suggested flight 2 days later. Any guesses what happens when you phone this line - yes same old message as reported above -
due to the large number of calls please phone back later

T7

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 1st, 2022, 10:56 pm

Just noted that the rescheduled flight is from LGW as opposed to the cancelled flight from LHR. Those nice people at BA would like to inform my wife that any additional costs resulting from having to travel to LGW would not be covered by them.

T7

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » July 2nd, 2022, 8:28 am

Just received email from BA customer service. "Thank you for bearing with us". They appreciate my patience and know I have be waiting 21 days. They haven't forgot me and will be in touch. Compensation claim for cancelled flight. Beginning to wish I had used Resolv from moneysavingexpert instead.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » July 3rd, 2022, 11:35 am

Apparently added chaos at LHR yesterday as the aircraft fuelling system broke down leading to even more delays.

T7

Return to “Airport Lounge”