Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Shelford,GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown, for Donating to support the site

Passport renewal

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
AF62
Lemon Quarter

Re: Passport renewal

Postby AF62 » February 22nd, 2023, 3:10 pm

beseeinyou wrote:It would seem I would qualify for an Irish passport as my Grandfather was born in Armagh, currently my wife and children don't qualify under that rule.

Let's just say I applied and received an Irish passport in due course, would my wife and children then qualify due to their relationship to me?

No and no.

Your wife wouldn’t qualify but if she traveled with you when you traveled with an Irish passport in the EU then she, like you as you would be an EU citizen, would not be restricted by the 90/180 rule. Also if you obtained residency in an EU country it would be easier for her to do so as well.

Your children would have qualified if you had applied before they were born, but if you didn’t they aren’t now.

The rules are -

If your parent was Irish at the time of the your birth and your parent was born on the Island of Ireland then you are automatically are Irish - you can just apply for a passport and don’t have to go through the Foreign Births process.

If your parent was Irish at the time of your birth but your parent was not born on the Island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship through the Foreign Births process.

If your grandparent was born on the Island of Ireland then you can apply for Irish citizenship through the Foreign Births process.

Once a person is entered onto the Foreign Births Register they are an Irish citizen and entitled to apply for an Irish passport.

https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/born-abr ... ign-birth/

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » February 22nd, 2023, 11:06 pm

AF62 wrote:I will need to replace mine in a couple of weeks and its replacement is still going to be a nice burgundy colour as my Irish citizenship was approved recently.

So no more dealing with “you Britishers queue over there”,but just sailing through the empty electronic EU citizen passport gates.

The burgundy book isn’t the best thing about the Guinness appreciation club, it’s the passport card. Much more convenient than the book for Euro travel. If you skipped the card you missed out.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 23rd, 2023, 11:35 am

Padders72 wrote:
AF62 wrote:I will need to replace mine in a couple of weeks and its replacement is still going to be a nice burgundy colour as my Irish citizenship was approved recently.

So no more dealing with “you Britishers queue over there”,but just sailing through the empty electronic EU citizen passport gates.

The burgundy book isn’t the best thing about the Guinness appreciation club, it’s the passport card. Much more convenient than the book for Euro travel. If you skipped the card you missed out.

I was pondering that, but was slightly struggling to see the point, as I understood it could only be used within the EU so no good for entering the UK so you would still need a UK passport.

Plus you have to pay for it on top of the passport fee, so doubling the cost.

Or am I missing something?

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » February 23rd, 2023, 12:16 pm

AF62 wrote:
Padders72 wrote:

I was pondering that, but was slightly struggling to see the point, as I understood it could only be used within the EU so no good for entering the UK so you would still need a UK passport.

Yes. It is perfectly valid for travel in and out of the UK. It doesn't double the fee, it adds another €35. I can see why many don't get the point, after all it only works in the EU, Switzerland, GB etc, but it is handy as it is credit card sized.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 23rd, 2023, 12:32 pm

Padders72 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Padders72 wrote:

Yes. It is perfectly valid for travel in and out of the UK.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

Padders72 wrote:It doesn't double the fee, it adds another €35.

But isn’t it only valid for five years? So €70, two lots of €35, on top of the €75 for the passport is almost double?

Padders72 wrote:I can see why many don't get the point, after all it only works in the EU, Switzerland, GB etc, but it is handy as it is credit card sized.

True.

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » February 23rd, 2023, 12:37 pm

AF62 wrote:
Padders72 wrote:
AF62 wrote:
Padders72 wrote:

Yes. It is perfectly valid for travel in and out of the UK.

Thanks, that’s helpful.

Padders72 wrote:It doesn't double the fee, it adds another €35.

But isn’t it only valid for five years? So €70, two lots of €35, on top of the €75 for the passport is almost double?

Padders72 wrote:I can see why many don't get the point, after all it only works in the EU, Switzerland, GB etc, but it is handy as it is credit card sized.

True.

A fair point, it is indeed only valid for 5 years, I'd forgotten that. I wonder if they worry about its longevity with it being like a credit card subject to the bending and wear of a wallet. I still think it is worth it, but as with all things YMMV. Oh I should have added EEA to the list of places that will take it. Basically most of continental Europe.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » February 24th, 2023, 1:48 pm

Padders72 wrote:after all it only works in the EU, Switzerland, GB etc, but it is handy as it is credit card sized.

As an aside, how do you find it with the e-gates? Does it work well or not?

Padders72
Lemon Slice

Postby Padders72 » February 24th, 2023, 4:26 pm

AF62 wrote:
Padders72 wrote:after all it only works in the EU, Switzerland, GB etc, but it is handy as it is credit card sized.

As an aside, how do you find it with the e-gates? Does it work well or not?

I've not tried, when I have flown it has suited me to go up to the border person (those ironically have the shortest queue where I have been flying to and from) so I can't really say whether it works well in e-gates or not. I suspect not in UK machines since those seem to have a platen glass sized for a full size passport, maybe its more widely accepted in continental automated entry gates. It does make life easier in Europe. These days UK passports are treated with suspicion and stamped with a ponderous reluctance, with the card they barely take a glance. They do have a closer look in the UK but I've not had any issues.

TaurusTheBull
2 Lemon pips

Postby TaurusTheBull » April 11th, 2023, 8:59 am

I have two passports. My UK passport expired last year, and with all the commotion about delays and strikes, enter the UK with my NZ passport.

I was "advised" by the bod at border force to renew my UK one A.S.A.P., to which I replied last time "I'll renew my UK passport as soon as the country sorts itself out". It's all just words. Nothing illegal and no problem. I have my expired UK passport to avoid stamps and inquisition.

My question is why the UK needs expired passports to be sent in for renewal. Presumably to prove ID, and the primitive corner cutting prevents potential fraud. Not a problem with NZ.

Taurus

seagles
Lemon Slice

Postby seagles » April 11th, 2023, 3:52 pm

At one point I had two UK passports. When the first run out did not need 2 anymore, when I sent the 2nd one in they rung me up and asked if I wanted 2? Which I didn't but had to cut the corner off the old one....... Always amused me that. Another one that was confusing/amusing, way back children were on parents passport, as a single parent my daughter was on mine, when she needed her own one they told me to send my one back to have her removed from it, pointed out that I was flying nearly every week and that was not going to happen. They said next time I am in the UK for a while could I send it in. Was nearly 2 years later that went to Petite France as was in the area and they did it there for me. Am sure that now they are a lot tighter with passports. Renewed passport in Paris once and they would only send the old and new one to my address in South of France, fortunately I had French identity papers and driving licence.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 13th, 2023, 10:19 am

Simon Calder, the travel writer, has been trying to clear up misinformation about validity dates of UK passports when travelling to the EU. Apparently even our government's web site had duff information at one point.

The only relevant rules (since Brexit) are that UK passports must:

- On the day of travel to EU, be less than 10 years old
- On day of return from EU, have 3 months' validity

Any other "rules" mentioning 9 years 9 months, or 6 months, or that child passports need to be no more than 5 years old, are bogus.

For destinations outside EU, the only significant consideration is the expiry date. And for destinations such as Australia, the US and Canada, your passport is valid up to and including this date.

See this Independent article for more information https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/eu ... 74569.html

Scott.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Postby stevensfo » April 13th, 2023, 7:14 pm

swill453 wrote:Simon Calder, the travel writer, has been trying to clear up misinformation about validity dates of UK passports when travelling to the EU. Apparently even our government's web site had duff information at one point.

The only relevant rules (since Brexit) are that UK passports must:

- On the day of travel to EU, be less than 10 years old
- On day of return from EU, have 3 months' validity

Any other "rules" mentioning 9 years 9 months, or 6 months, or that child passports need to be no more than 5 years old, are bogus.

For destinations outside EU, the only significant consideration is the expiry date. And for destinations such as Australia, the US and Canada, your passport is valid up to and including this date.

See this Independent article for more information https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/eu ... 74569.html

Scott.

So, if you come back to the UK from a longer than planned stay in Italy, with your passport expiring in 2 months, you may be stopped from returning?

Honest question, since I may in such a position next year. :?

Is it possible to renew a passport well before the expiry date?

Steve

PS Wishing I'd asked these questions before! 8-)

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » April 13th, 2023, 7:22 pm

stevensfo wrote:So, if you come back to the UK from a longer than planned stay in Italy, with your passport expiring in 2 months, you may be stopped from returning?

Honest question, since I may in such a position next year. :?

Is it possible to renew a passport well before the expiry date?

Steve

PS Wishing I'd asked these questions before! 8-)

I only know the rules, not the likelihood of them being applied strictly or the penalty for breaking them.

However I suspect the "3 months' validity on intended date of return" will be tested on entry, not on exit. Why would they care at that point?

Scott.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Postby chas49 » April 13th, 2023, 10:41 pm

swill453 wrote:I only know the rules, not the likelihood of them being applied strictly or the penalty for breaking them.

However I suspect the "3 months' validity on intended date of return" will be tested on entry, not on exit. Why would they care at that point?

Scott.

Indeed! From the article linked upthread:

“If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least three months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
which was issued within the previous 10 years.”
(my bold added)

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » April 14th, 2023, 9:36 am

chas49 wrote:
swill453 wrote:I only know the rules, not the likelihood of them being applied strictly or the penalty for breaking them.

Scott.

Indeed! From the article linked upthread:

“If you are a non-EU national wishing to visit or travel within the EU, you will need a passport:

valid for at least three months after the date you intend to leave the EU country you are visiting,
which was issued within the previous 10 years.”
(my bold added)

Correct - from the Practical Handbook for Border Guards (https://home-affairs.ec.europa.eu/syste ... rds_en.pdf) section 3.1 'CHECKS ON THIRD-COUNTRY NATIONALS UPON ENTRY' it says

The entry conditions to be fulfilled by third-country nationals when entering the territory of a Schengen State are the following:

(a) the possession of a valid travel document or documents authorising them to cross the border, whereby its validity must extend at least three months after the intended date of departure from the Schengen States (although in a justified case of emergency, this obligation may be waived) and it must have been issued within the previous 10 years; the requirement that the travel document must have been issued within the previous ten years must be fulfilled at the day of entry (but not necessarily during the stay), provided that its validity extends until the end of the stay plus three months;

Exit checks are mentioned in 3.6.1. where it simply says that "verification that the third-country national is in possession of a document valid
for crossing the border
".

And if you have stayed so long that you have gone beyond the three months after departure validity then you will almost certainly have breached the 90/180 rule so their questions will be focused not on the passport but on your overstay and issuing a fine and banning you from returning for a period for that breach.

Return to “Airport Lounge”