Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Priority boarding had become meaningless

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Fluke
Lemon Slice

Priority boarding had become meaningless

Postby Fluke » October 5th, 2022, 12:22 pm

Just recently flew Ryanair, as with previous journeys for some years I opted for priority boarding which comes with the benefit of being able to bring a cabin bag on with you plus a small bag for under the seat. It used to always mean you could select your preferred seat but this time when I came to checking in online that came at an additional cost. Slightly irritated by this I opted for the random seat selection then had to ok through several are you sure's? I mean really sure? you might be sandwiched between a large person with body odour issues and someone with a baby on their lap. So on the way out I was given row 20 seat B. As it turned out the window seat (A) right beside me was free, the random generator it would seem has been programmed with Ryanair's particular brand of sarcastic meanness built in. Well obviously I took the window seat which gave me and my fellow traveller a seat between us to put our bits and pieces.

But the real surprise was when I turned up at Stansted, I made my way to the gate, no need to rush as would be getting on first anyway. No long queues. Wrong! People have finally cottoned on to priority boarding, I always thought it was a bargain for what you got and was surprised more people didn't go for it. Well they do now. The priority queue was only slightly shorter than the regular one. So what priority means now is the cost of taking a cabin bag on with you, it's got little or nothing to do with priority.

The return journey was even worse. What priority meant was that you got processed through to a standing area where you stood in a snaking queue for much longer than you would have had to do were you not priority. Turned out the flight hadn't even landed and we stood there for about 40 minutes. If you hadn't been priority you could have just stayed in the seated waiting area until everyone started to move.

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Re: Priority boarding had become meaningless

Postby yorkshirelad1 » October 6th, 2022, 9:15 am

Indeed.
It's a bit like lounge access: everyone seems to want it, offered as a free add-on or as a perk with XYZ credit card or airmiles, so the lounges are fuller than the main departure areas lounge, it seems. When I flew from Toronto recently, such was the crowindg in the Maple Leaf/Air Canada lounge, there was a queue to get in as they were operating one-in-one-out.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Postby absolutezero » October 6th, 2022, 10:09 am

I had something similar with EasyJet.

My bag (a small wheeled suitcase with rigid sides) has always been small enough to go under the seat - but always has gone in the overhead locker at no extra cost.

But a few weeks ago I flew for the first time in 3 years and found EasyJet have:
1 - decided no overhead locker available unless you specifically pay to put your bag in it - even if it was just you on the flight!
2 - shrunk the metal box at the gate that they use to decide if it's an under seat bag or not by welding metal bars to the inside of the old metal box

My bag and seat dimensions are still the same and the bag IS within the dimensions posted online - just doesn't fit in the metal box.

So I had to pay an extra £25 to put my bag (that fits under the seat and meets the size requirements but doesn't fit in the artificially small metal box) in the hold.
But the guy at the gate told me to get Speedy Boarding as 'you get to put your bag in the overhead locker'.
The same overhead locker that used to cost nothing and that was only half full on my flights because about half don't pay for speedy boarding.
Maddening.

I have complained about EasyJet denying my bag going on as hand luggage and taken pictures with a tape measure alongside it. But they aren't having it. "It didn't fit in the box at the gate". Despite the tape measure pictures showing it is within the size!

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 6th, 2022, 10:20 am

absolutezero wrote:My bag and seat dimensions are still the same and the bag IS within the dimensions posted online - just doesn't fit in the metal box.

They now define a "small cabin bag" (45 x 36 x 20 cm) which is free and a "large cabin bag" (56 x 45 x 25 cm) which is chargeable. As far as I recall it's the smaller one which is a new introduction.

The Ryanair free one is even smaller, 40 x 25 x 20 cm.

Scott.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Postby BullDog » October 6th, 2022, 11:36 am

The race to the bottom in air travel means that it's one of the few aspects of modern life that has become ever increasingly uncomfortable. Most things over the last 50 years have improved somewhat. Air travel has never been as horrible an experience as it is today. Ryan Air? I would rather walk.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 6th, 2022, 11:43 am

BullDog wrote:Ryan Air? I would rather walk.

That reminds me of a clip from Porridge, I think.

Fletcher “I served with Her Majesty's Service overseas”.
Godber “Where was that Fletch”
Fletcher The Isle of Wight
Godber “That's not overseas”
Fletcher “you try walking it” :lol:

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » October 6th, 2022, 11:57 am

Fluke wrote:Just recently flew Ryanair, as with previous journeys for some years I opted for priority boarding which comes with the benefit of being able to bring a cabin bag on with you plus a small bag for under the seat. It used to always mean you could select your preferred seat but this time when I came to checking in online that came at an additional cost. Slightly irritated by this I opted for the random seat selection then had to ok through several are you sure's? I mean really sure? you might be sandwiched between a large person with body odour issues and someone with a baby on their lap. So on the way out I was given row 20 seat B. As it turned out the window seat (A) right beside me was free, the random generator it would seem has been programmed with Ryanair's particular brand of sarcastic meanness built in. Well obviously I took the window seat which gave me and my fellow traveller a seat between us to put our bits and pieces.

But the real surprise was when I turned up at Stansted, I made my way to the gate, no need to rush as would be getting on first anyway. No long queues. Wrong! People have finally cottoned on to priority boarding, I always thought it was a bargain for what you got and was surprised more people didn't go for it. Well they do now. The priority queue was only slightly shorter than the regular one. So what priority means now is the cost of taking a cabin bag on with you, it's got little or nothing to do with priority.

The return journey was even worse. What priority meant was that you got processed through to a standing area where you stood in a snaking queue for much longer than you would have had to do were you not priority. Turned out the flight hadn't even landed and we stood there for about 40 minutes. If you hadn't been priority you could have just stayed in the seated waiting area until everyone started to move.

I hope you booked your toilet visits! :oops:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 6th, 2022, 1:53 pm

BullDog wrote:The race to the bottom in air travel means that it's one of the few aspects of modern life that has become ever increasingly uncomfortable. Most things over the last 50 years have improved somewhat. Air travel has never been as horrible an experience as it is today. Ryan Air? I would rather walk.

The flights themselves are fine, and have improved considerably in the last 50 years. Not many people would want to fly in a Boeing 727, MD DC-8 or a BAC1-11 these days.

Lie flat seats in particular have transformed long-distance flying.

It is the airports that are now the problem, and a big advantage of flying in a premium cabin is the priority treatment for checking in and security. And airport lounges can still be a sanctuary - just not the ones that let the credit card/priority pass mob in. The Cathay Pacific, Qantas and Virgin lounges at Heathrow T3 are good, for example. The United lounge at T2 is surprisingly good. Qatar at T4. And of course the BA First and Concorde Room at T5.

I have never flown Easyjet or RyanAir so cannot comment on those.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Postby terminal7 » October 6th, 2022, 7:31 pm

Oh dear Lootman - which explains why the rest have travelled on easyJet and Ryanair!

Bon voyage

T7

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 6th, 2022, 7:50 pm

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:The race to the bottom in air travel means that it's one of the few aspects of modern life that has become ever increasingly uncomfortable. Most things over the last 50 years have improved somewhat. Air travel has never been as horrible an experience as it is today. Ryan Air? I would rather walk.

The flights themselves are fine, and have improved considerably in the last 50 years. Not many people would want to fly in a Boeing 727, MD DC-8 or a BAC1-11 these days.

It is the airports that are now the problem, and a big advantage of flying in a premium cabin is the priority treatment for checking in and security. And airport lounges can still be a sanctuary - just not the ones that let the credit card/priority pass mob in. The Cathay Pacific, Qantas and Virgin lounges at Heathrow T3 are good, for example. The United lounge at T2 is surprisingly good. Qatar at T4. And of course the BA First and Concorde Room at T5.

Nor me.

In fact I have only flown once (ok twice, i.e. there then back again) and the experience was so horrible I vowed never to use public transport ever again.

And it was BA (who I gather provide a better service than some)!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 6th, 2022, 8:32 pm

Mike4 wrote:
Lootman wrote:

Nor me. In fact I have only flown once (ok twice, i.e. there then back again) and the experience was so horrible I vowed never to use public transport ever again.

And it was BA (who I gather provide a better service than some)!

BA has been suffering an identity crisis for a good few years now. Ostensibly it likes to present itself as a premium airline. It still offers a first class cabin, as distinct from business class, for instance. And few other airlines do that - the only US airline that offers First is American and it is dismal. In Europe only Swiss, Lufthansa and Air France offer First and even then only on some types of plane.

But so many airlines are better e.g. the ME3, Singapore, Cathay, Qantas, JAL, ANA.

BA has been forced to go down market by the budget airlines and, at least within Europe, is basically a budget airline itself at this point.

If you live in London, only use Heathrow, and have BA Gold status, then flying BA is still a good experience, especially long haul. But in my view it is no longer competitive and I mostly use them these days when there is not a better alternative.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 7th, 2022, 8:41 am

BullDog wrote:Ryan Air? I would rather walk.

There are far far worse companies than Ryanair, EasyJet being a prime candidate. EasyJet, unlike Ryanair, overbook their flights and although amongst non-low cost airlines such a practice is normal, EasyJet always seem to mess it up and end up denying boarding when they end up with more passengers with tickets than seats and then tell the bumped passenger who was off for a weekend break they can fly in a few days time.

And the latest trick EasyJet is playing is with cancellations and delayed flights declaring ‘extraordinary circumstances’ to get out of paying the legally required compensation, claiming it was air traffic control delays when in reality it is them running on minimal staff.

Lootman wrote:BA has been forced to go down market by the budget airlines and, at least within Europe, is basically a budget airline itself at this point.

But unlike Ryanair, I can’t recall ever being on a BA flight in Europe that has actually operated on time.

Oh for the good old days when Ryanair used to operate like a bus service with no pre-booked seats - just grab your bag and run for the plane when the gates opened, and prices so low that they wouldn’t even bother to take the card payment.

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 7th, 2022, 8:48 am

AF62 wrote:Oh for the good old days when Ryanair used to operate like a bus service with no pre-booked seats - just grab your bag and run for the plane when the gates opened, and prices so low that they wouldn’t even bother to take the card payment.

Having travelled several times with South West in the USA where they will let you take an earlier flight if you turn up early and there are seats available (at no extra charge), I don't see why for national flights at least why you can't turn up and get on (like a train)

BTW Michael O'Leary (Ryanair boss) was sent over to the states to see how South West worked when Ryanair was in its infancy

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 7th, 2022, 9:19 am

pje16 wrote:
AF62 wrote:Oh for the good old days when Ryanair used to operate like a bus service with no pre-booked seats - just grab your bag and run for the plane when the gates opened, and prices so low that they wouldn’t even bother to take the card payment.

Having travelled several times with South West in the USA where they will let you take an earlier flight if you turn up early and there are seats available (at no extra charge), I don't see why for national flights at least why you can't turn up and get on (like a train)

BTW Michael O'Leary (Ryanair boss) was sent over to the states to see how South West worked when Ryanair was in its infancy

Oh yes, Ryanair did follow that model closely - The arm-wrestling CEOs to settle a legal dispute to demonstrate that any publicity is good publicity (https://priceonomics.com/how-southwest- ... l-dispute/) and Southwest's flight attendant uniform leading to the Ryanair calendar (https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-polit ... niversary/).

pje16
Lemon Half

Postby pje16 » October 7th, 2022, 9:29 am

AF62 wrote:Oh yes, Ryanair did follow that model closely - The arm-wrestling CEOs to settle a legal dispute to demonstrate that any publicity is good publicity (https://priceonomics.com/how-southwest- ... l-dispute/) and Southwest's flight attendant uniform leading to the Ryanair calendar (https://www.texasmonthly.com/news-polit ... niversary/).

Very good
I do love South West's jovial on board spirit
Once on a sparsely populated flight they told us how many snacks and drinks were on board
and said “There are 15 of you on board, so work out how may each you can have, go and help yourself, we're a bit tired as we have had a hard week”

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Postby bluedonkey » October 7th, 2022, 10:17 am

Lie flat seats?! Are you having a giraffe?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Postby Mike4 » October 7th, 2022, 11:51 am

bluedonkey wrote:Lie flat seats?! Are you having a giraffe?

Must be a bit like sit-up beds!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » October 7th, 2022, 12:32 pm

AF62 wrote:
Lootman wrote:BA has been forced to go down market by the budget airlines and, at least within Europe, is basically a budget airline itself at this point.

But unlike Ryanair, I can’t recall ever being on a BA flight in Europe that has actually operated on time.

Oh for the good old days when Ryanair used to operate like a bus service with no pre-booked seats - just grab your bag and run for the plane when the gates opened, and prices so low that they wouldn’t even bother to take the card payment.

BA's punctuality problem is really a Heathrow problem, as BA barely operates from any other UK airport - Gatwick and Manchester only I believe.

Budget airlines that operate out of much quieter airports will find it easier to depart and arrive on time.

As noted elsewhere the SouthWest model works well. They can turn a plane around in 20 minutes, which is impressive. Actually BA's New York schedule from Heathrow works a bit like that. There are 10 flights a day and so you can generally just show up and get the next one, as long as you didn't buy the cheapest ticket. :D

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Postby AF62 » October 7th, 2022, 12:59 pm

Lootman wrote:Budget airlines that operate out of much quieter airports will find it easier to depart and arrive on time.

As noted elsewhere the SouthWest model works well. They can turn a plane around in 20 minutes, which is impressive.

The fastest boarding I have ever experienced was in Greece some years ago.

The flight had been due to depart just before lunch, however as is the way with Greek air traffic control they had decided to hold a strike over lunch but there was some uncertainty when it would end - "come back at 2pm" and see what was happening.

So back we trooped at 2pm and made our way through security waiting to see if the flight would take place.

At 3pm we were told to "GET ON THE PLANE NOW!!!" because the strike had suddenly ended and if it didn't leave in the next five minutes then we were going to be stuck there for the night because the crew was just about to run out of hours.

And so there was a mad dash of 150 people to the aircraft with the cabin crew shouting expletives at people to just sit the #@%& down in any seat and they could then sort themselves out when we go in the air - and they made it with seconds to spare.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 7th, 2022, 1:13 pm

Lootman wrote:BA's punctuality problem is really a Heathrow problem, as BA barely operates from any other UK airport - Gatwick and Manchester only I believe.

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Inverness...

And also Leeds Bradford, Newcastle and Belfast apparently.

Scott.

Return to “Airport Lounge”