Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Suitable stoppover location en route to the Far East (if there is one!)

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Re: Suitable stoppover location en route to the Far East (if there is one!)

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2022, 11:39 am

richfool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I can never sleep on planes, I suppose being 6ft 3in and now nearer 70 than 60 it is not getting any easier. In fact I am thinking of turning down an all expenses paid free week in the Dominican Republic in March because the won't allow me to upgrade from the economy ticket.

John

I can understand that!

And frequently needing/queuing for a toilet is another one!

I've just been reading up on how little water I can get away with drinking on long haul flight to avoid dehydration, and the online answers/recommendations say that one should drink at least 250ml per hour, or 1 litre every 4 hours, on a long haul flight. So on a 12 hour flight, that would be 3 litres of water!! I think I used to drink about 3 x 250mls, so about 750mls. If I was to drink 3 litres, I wouldn't need a Bus class seat, I could spend my whole time in the toilet!!

Yup. I am on tamsulosin too.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2022, 11:50 am

redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:I can never sleep on planes, I suppose being 6ft 3in and now nearer 70 than 60 it is not getting any easier. In fact I am thinking of turning down an all expenses paid free week in the Dominican Republic in March because the won't allow me to upgrade from the economy ticket.

John

I can understand that!

I've just been reading up on how little water I can get away with drinking on long haul flight to avoid dehydration, and the online answers/recommendations say that one should drink at least 250ml per hour, or 1 litre every 4 hours, on a long haul flight. So on a 12 hour flight, that would be 3 litres of water!! I think I used to drink about 3 x 250mls, so about 750mls. If I was to drink 3 litres, I wouldn't need a Bus class seat, I could spend my whole time in the toilet!!

John

I never drink pure water on a long haul flight. I might have a beer but my liquid intake will usually come from tea/coffee and whatever comes in meals. If you are like me you will not need to drink much water. Eat when you're hungry and drink when you're dry as the old song goes.

If I could see my GP he might prescribe me tamsulosin as well. I think I am at that stage.

Dod

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2022, 11:53 am

Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:

John

I can understand that!

John

I never drink pure water on a long haul flight. I might have a beer but my liquid intake will usually come from tea/coffee and whatever comes in meals. If you are like me you will not need to drink much water. Eat when you're hungry and drink when you're dry as the old song goes.

If I could see my GP he might prescribe me tamsulosin as well. I think I am at that stage.

Dod

Going way off topic now but tea and coffee are diuretics so not really good to drink in these circumstances.

John

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 3rd, 2022, 11:55 am

redsturgeon wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:

John

I can understand that!

John

Dod

Going way off topic now but tea and coffee are diuretics so not really good to drink in these circumstances.

John

True but so seem to be a lot of things e g my G & T is said to be a diuretic. Is water itself less so? Serious question? I claim on topic since we are discussing what we may drink on long haul flights to avoid dehydration.

Off topic I have only once been really dehydrated, walking too far in about 32C of heat with high humidity and not being acclimatised. Not nice and it took me a day or two to get back on an even keel.

Dod
Last edited by Dod101 on November 3rd, 2022, 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 3rd, 2022, 11:58 am

Dod101 wrote:
redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:

I can understand that!

I am the same, I don't drink water on flights just for the sake of it. In fact I don't really drink water at all - my liquid intake mostly consists of tea, beer and wine. All have a lot of water in them although they are also all diuretics.

When selecting a seat on a flight I will pick one that isn't too far from the toilet, but not next to it. Not something I would have thought of when I was younger. Obviously Business and First will have a much better toilet-to-passenger ratio.

This is what TLF should really be about - old men comparing the state of their prostates. :D

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 3rd, 2022, 12:13 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:

John

I can understand that!

John

I've been on Tamsulosin for years (for BPH) and an OAB. Then earlier this year, I had a TURP operation, which should have brought an end to using Tamsulosin. However, the TURP Op lead to the formation of a stricture requiring a second operation, and now I am having to intermittently self-catheterise to try and prevent the recurrence of the/a stricture. The pharmacist at the hospital then suggested I continued with the Tamsulosin whilst catheterising, so I'm currently trying to double check that with the Dr. Hence my desire to break out on a holiday.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Postby redsturgeon » November 3rd, 2022, 12:33 pm

richfool wrote:I've been on Tamsulosin for years (for BPH) and an OAB. Then earlier this year, I had a TURP operation, which should have brought an end to using Tamsulosin. However, the TURP Op lead to the formation of a stricture requiring a second operation, and now I am having to intermittently self-catheterise to try and prevent the recurrence of the/a stricture. The pharmacist at the hospital then suggested I continued with the Tamsulosin whilst catheterising, so I'm currently trying to double check that with the Dr. Hence my desire to break out on a holiday.

Yes I am at the stage of looking at options for more drastic interventions now.
My brother who is 18 months older than me has been cathaterised for the last three months while waiting for his op. He is loving the 8 hours a night sleep!
I'm thinking steam ablation is the way to go.
Sorry to hear your TURP did not go well.

John

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Postby scrumpyjack » November 3rd, 2022, 1:00 pm

Whoever makes Tamsulosin must be doing very well as I'm on it too. Just finished 39 radio therapy sessions for prostate cancer so I could do with a break in the Far East. Won't happen though :(

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 3rd, 2022, 1:07 pm

redsturgeon wrote:
richfool wrote:I've been on Tamsulosin for years (for BPH) and an OAB. Then earlier this year, I had a TURP operation, which should have brought an end to using Tamsulosin. However, the TURP Op lead to the formation of a stricture requiring a second operation, and now I am having to intermittently self-catheterise to try and prevent the recurrence of the/a stricture. The pharmacist at the hospital then suggested I continued with the Tamsulosin whilst catheterising, so I'm currently trying to double check that with the Dr. Hence my desire to break out on a holiday.

Yes I am at the stage of looking at options for more drastic interventions now.
My brother who is 18 months older than me has been cathaterised for the last three months while waiting for his op. He is loving the 8 hours a night sleep!
I'm thinking steam ablation is the way to go.
Sorry to hear your TURP did not go well.

John

I did loads of research on types of TURP, including laser, Rezum, steam ablation, waterjets, etc. For me it came down to the consultant urologist and a combination of his recommendation and his proven area of expertise. (I had mine done through private insurance).

When I trotted out a prepared list of possible alternatives, he said they all had their pro's and cons, but he favoured the bog standard TURP rather than the new more fangled solutions. I think I recollect that steam has a longer recovery/catheterisation period after the Op.

Catheterisation can tend to increase the occurrence of UTI's. I have had 2 UTI's, each a few days after a cystoscopy!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 21st, 2022, 10:36 pm

richfool wrote:In my advancing old age, I really struggle with long haul flights, and tend to resort to flying Bus class and direct for partly that reason. .... I can't think of any Eastern European locations where one could fly to and stopover which would appeal, and they would tend not to be far enough into the journey. Turkey is about the only location I could think of in that sort of region.

I'm now of a similar profile RF, I've done parallel E<>W routes many times and routing options always come up. I just want to get somewhere but if I have to lay-over then I'd at least it adds some positive value. Budapest is an enjoyable and a very civilised place IME but merits it's own trip. Whether that's far enough eastwards or has the flight connections to make a realistic difference en route to BKK I rather doubt.

Turkey, which means Istanbul on long-haul on such routes. No really if you aren't into 'The whole 2nd world experience and risks on your lay-over don't bother. The aiports are miiiles out of town and transfers take for ever, then if you wonder off into the wrong area and it can be positively highly dangerous*. Plus, there is currently active terrorism/bombing there again right now with innocents+tourists blown up by terrorits last week in Istanbul *+ FCO Travel Advisory alerts and so on.

In conclusion I think your options are limited to flying direct if available. This existed for LON-Singapore but IDK re Bangkok. Though be aware the direct long-hail routes can be $$$ especially currently. Or, bite the bullet and Emirates via Dubai. Perhaps the most together of the 1st world M-East stop-overs. This might be the lowest hassle and least worst of the stop over options, plus it's mid-way so actually physically (to your body) perhaps constructive.
FWIW my wife returned today from Singapore via Emirates and Dubai. A connecting vs stop-over flight. Two 8 hour legs with a c3? hour lay-over. Pretty challenging, but she's very travel savvy and she must have considered that her best non-$$$ direct option.

* I've posted this before and I'll repeat it where appropriate as people should know. As took me by surprise, despite having visited Istanbul previously from the UK, and despite subsequently revisiting from then living in Ankara for two years. Point being Istanbul is waaay more risky than most people realise, even if they think they've the country well figured out at that point. Keep to the tourist trail, but perhaps not the main main tourist streets. Don't wonder off into local neighbourhoods, pretty as they can be, even 'just as a short-cut as it looks simple on the map', as I did.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 21st, 2022, 10:51 pm

BullDog wrote:One more thought. If you haven't visited Oman, that's an excellent option. LHR to MCT is 7hr 25min. MCT to BKK is 6hr 10min. And Muscat is a really very nice place indeed to stay a few days. Much more interesting than anywhere in UAE etc...

Interesting tip that one BullDog. Plus Oman is historically considered a UK ally what with some of their young Royals going through Sandhurst etc. The country itself is supposed to be spectacular, the deserts, good diving and other outdooe pursuits and a safe place to visit. Thanks for putting that back on my radar!

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 21st, 2022, 11:12 pm

richfool wrote:Just for the record, I ended up booking a direct flight with Thai Air, Bus class. Night flights both ways. The plan is to forego the champagne and instead take a Lorazepam to help the sleep side of things.

Oh well done! If you receive it on prescription then defintely carry the prescription with you! Some places out that way do not take kindly to people just bringing in 'Benzos'.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 21st, 2022, 11:29 pm

Dod101 wrote:I never drink pure water on a long haul flight. I might have a beer but my liquid intake will usually come from tea/coffee and whatever comes in meals. If you are like me you will not need to drink much water.

The caffeine in tea and coffe will dehydrate you. As does alcohol of course. If hydration is the plan I'd suggest starting the flight fully hydrated then regularly topping up with some water or perhaps even better (if you can get it on board) rehydration drink en route. I realise it's a balance vs having to go to the loo, but observing err.... the colour of your stream, seems a reliable indicator of your state. So you can adjust the input accordingly.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » November 21st, 2022, 11:47 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I never drink pure water on a long haul flight. I might have a beer but my liquid intake will usually come from tea/coffee and whatever comes in meals. If you are like me you will not need to drink much water.

The caffeine in tea and coffe will dehydrate you. As does alcohol of course. If hydration is the plan I'd suggest starting the flight fully hydrated then regularly topping up with some water or perhaps even better (if you can get it on board) rehydration drink en route. I realise it's a balance vs having to go to the loo, but observing err.... the colour of your stream, seems a reliable indicator of your state. So you can adjust the input accordingly.

Yes, I know.

Been flying long haul since 1968 so I have a fair idea of the problems.

Dod

richfool
Lemon Quarter

Postby richfool » November 22nd, 2022, 4:52 am

DiamondEcho wrote:

Just finished a week in Jomtien. About to slum it in Pattaya.

Absolutely agree with you re tea, coffee and alcohol being a "no-no" on long haul flights, particularly the latter if one is going to dabble with Lorazapam, as per medical.advice. Online advice suggests 250ml of water per hour! That would be 3 litres on a 12 hour flight! I think I worked on about 1.00- 1.5 litres and then picked up some of the shortfall upon arrival.

I managed to get a few hours sleep with Thai, but have say that EVA is a distinctly better flying experience.

Currently still trying to cope with sleeping from 23.00/24.00 to 02.00-03.00 and then can't get back to sleep again, so am down for an early breakfast, - 06.30, before flaking out at 5..00pm.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 22nd, 2022, 1:32 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:I've posted this before and I'll repeat it where appropriate as people should know. As took me by surprise, despite having visited Istanbul previously from the UK, and despite subsequently revisiting from then living in Ankara for two years. Point being Istanbul is waaay more risky than most people realise, even if they think they've the country well figured out at that point. Keep to the tourist trail, but perhaps not the main main tourist streets. Don't wonder off into local neighbourhoods, pretty as they can be, even 'just as a short-cut as it looks simple on the map', as I did.

Yes, in all my travels, which include a number of third world countries, the only place I encountered a problem was in Istanbul. There was an attempt at a "swarm" robbery where a mother-and-children "family" (Romany I think) tried to rob my wife and I on the street in daylight. We fought them off (this was 30 years ago so I was much younger and stronger, and my wife is feisty) and nothing was taken, but it was a scary encounter. Had they had or used a knife it could have been much worse.

A fascinating city, but care is needed.

DiamondEcho
Lemon Quarter

Postby DiamondEcho » November 22nd, 2022, 7:54 pm

Yeah. It's also the only place (Istanbul) I've turned a corner when taking a short-cut and found a small piazza lined with 30-40 zombie like junkies staggering about and not one other sober soul in sight but me :shock:
The only place I've seen a man shot in the head in a drive-by street execution :shock: [this and the above occurred within one five minute period]
The only place (Ankara) I've seen wild-eyed shambling junkies walking around on otherwise deserted streets with polythene bags of glue held to their faces. 'Oh crap, watch the guy approaching closely, but not too obviously! Just me a him here, what if he goes nuts?'
The only place I've experienced a full-blown military coup with jets dropping bombs nearby, utter 'kin chaos, and the idea this was a war breaking out and our 'posh block' might become a target :shock:
The only place when walking through our upscale suburb I'd adopted the observation tactic of a military patrol. Ie. Walk ahead in the street observing 180 degrees ahead/around. As appropriate (vs length of street, junctions etc), turn around and keep on walking observing 180 degrees to the rear. Etc. Be home and all door locks in place before sun down.
Then only place I've seen the streets lined with increasingly dirty and delapitated parked cars, due to the government jailing about 100k people after the coup.
The only place I've seen open people-smuggling one-family mini encampments of economic migrants in transit to the UK and EU. Begging for funds from passing traffic, to fund their onward journeys.

Getting posted to Turkey when offered to us had conjured images of dolce vita long weekends on the coast and beaches. A new historic culture to experience and a half-way stepping-stone on the long-term journey back towards the UK from living in Asia. After the above, especially the coup, it was the reason for my wife to retire early from her life-long international career and for us to return directly to the UK. We've both travelled widely and been through many 3rd world and even 'dangerous places', but I've not witnessed a single one of the above experiences other than in Turkey.

TL/DR, so no I don't recommend Turkey as any form of simple and safe stop-over :lol:

Lootman
The full Lemon

Postby Lootman » November 22nd, 2022, 8:00 pm

DiamondEcho wrote:Yeah. It's also the only place (Istanbul) I've turned a corner when taking a short-cut and found a small piazza lined with 30-40 zombie like junkies staggering about and not one other sober soul in sight but me :shock:
The only place I've seen a man shot in the head in a drive-by street execution :shock: [this and the above occurred within one five minute period]
The only place (Ankara) I've seen wild-eyed shambling junkies walking around on otherwise deserted streets with polythene bags of glue held to their faces. 'Oh crap, watch the guy approaching closely, but not too obviously! Just me a him here, what if he goes nuts?'
The only place I've experienced a full-blown military coup with jets dropping bombs nearby, utter 'kin chaos, and the idea this was a war breaking out and our 'posh block' might become a target :shock:
The only place when walking through our upscale suburb I'd adopted the observation tactic of a military patrol. Ie. Walk ahead in the street observing 180 degrees ahead/around. As appropriate (vs length of street, junctions etc), turn around and keep on walking observing 180 degrees to the rear. Etc. Be home and all door locks in place before sun down.
Then only place I've seen the streets lined with increasingly dirty and delapitated parked cars, due to the government jailing about 100k people after the coup.
The only place I've seen open people-smuggling one-family mini encampments of economic migrants in transit to the UK and EU. Begging for funds from passing traffic, to fund their onward journeys.

Getting posted to Turkey when offered to us had conjured images of dolce vita long weekends on the coast and beaches. A new historic culture to experience and a half-way stepping-stone on the long-term journey back towards the UK from living in Asia. After the above, especially the coup, it was the reason for my wife to retire early from her life-long international career and for us to return directly to the UK. We've both travelled widely and been through many 3rd world and even 'dangerous places', but I've not witnessed a single one of the above experiences other than in Turkey.

TL/DR, so no I don't recommend Turkey as any form of simple and safe stop-over :lol:

Ha, well, when you put it like that . .

Return to “Airport Lounge”