Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Wasron,jfgw,Rhyd6,eyeball08,Wondergirly, for Donating to support the site

Travel Insurance

Holiday Ideas & Foreign Travel
Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Travel Insurance

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 8:50 am

Not sure if this is the correct board, but....

has anyone recommendations for companies providing travel insurance for people nearing 80? I'd be looking for single trip insurance. I've used Staysure previously, but I just wondered who others go to.

Thanks,

Arb.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Re: Travel Insurance

Postby dealtn » July 24th, 2023, 8:54 am

Arborbridge wrote:Not sure if this is the correct board, but....

has anyone recommendations for companies providing travel insurance for people nearing 80? I'd be looking for single trip insurance. I've used Staysure previously, but I just wondered who others go to.

Thanks,

Arb.

On what criteria?

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » July 24th, 2023, 8:55 am

I have used OK To Travel. Never had a claim though!

Dod

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 9:38 am

dealtn wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:Not sure if this is the correct board, but....

Thanks,

Arb.

On what criteria?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The question was who do you go to for travel insurance - any recommendations or companies to avoid. If you aren't in the older age bracket like me, the question probably isn't relevant.

88V8
Lemon Half

Postby 88V8 » July 24th, 2023, 10:38 am

Arborbridge wrote:
dealtn wrote:On what criteria?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. The question was who do you go to for travel insurance - any recommendations or companies to avoid. If you aren't in the older age bracket like me, the question probably isn't relevant.

It has never crossed my mind to buy Travel insurance. However, having read in The Times occasional stories of repatriation costs from foreign parts, I must say that I may think about it if we go abroad again, now we're 'getting on a bit'.

Having said that, one also reads of bad experiences and delays in claims handling, that being as usual the acid test.

Sorry no help, just rambling on....

V8

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Postby beseeinyou » July 24th, 2023, 11:14 am

I've had to buy for medical conditions in recent years and found Get Going to be the most competitive the last 2 years:

https://www.getgoinginsurance.co.uk/

Beseeinyou

dealtn
Lemon Half

Postby dealtn » July 24th, 2023, 6:38 pm

Arborbridge wrote:
dealtn wrote:
On what criteria?

So whats important to you. Price? Comprehensive cover?

If you asked "can you recommend a supermarket" you could have a range of choices from Lidl to Waitrose. So on what criteria are you looking to base your choice on?

I am not in your age group but I would use a price comparison site and go from there. To be clear I would rank them in order of reverse cheapness and investigate the cover and what might be the customer service were I to need a claim at one of the most stressful times of my life. Cheap would be the last thing at time of purchase, and the likely high addition to my stress at the time when I really needed insurance, and not a time I want to be regretting the decision I made.

Arborbridge
The full Lemon

Postby Arborbridge » July 24th, 2023, 6:48 pm

In the end, we went back to Staysure.

Inertia was the answer - after ploughing through a couple of other websites and finding prices were similar, we went back to the one we had used before.

One stumbling block is the amount of time needed to answer tedious questions, particularly the medical ones where meanings become ambiguous. You feel you need a medical expert, but one cannot just ring the doctor for a chat. At least with Staysure we had all the answers from last time.

Arb.

tsr2
2 Lemon pips

Postby tsr2 » July 29th, 2023, 7:59 pm

88V8 wrote:It has never crossed my mind to buy Travel insurance. However, having read in The Times occasional stories of repatriation costs from foreign parts, I must say that I may think about it if we go abroad again, now we're 'getting on a bit'.

I have never travelled abroad without medical insurance. The insurance for loss of property or cancellation I could live without, but medical costs, particularly in the US, and repatriation costs are scary.
When my wife broke her leg in NZ, there were no medical costs, but Columbus Direct upgraded my wife to business where available and first on the legs where they couldn't get business class. That would have been eye watering to if we had to pay ourselves.

Return to “Airport Lounge”