Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34,Anonymous, for Donating to support the site

Windows 10 Update has messed up external screen resolution

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Windows 10 Update has messed up external screen resolution

Postby Clariman » July 5th, 2020, 5:34 pm

At home I use a Windows 10 laptop with the screen duplicated on a larger external display (HP). The recommended screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 which has always worked fine. This meant I could see more on the external display than I could on the laptop. However since installing the latest Windows 10 update this afternoon, my external display resolution is messed up. When I have it on the recommended 1280 x 1024 the aspect ratio is messed up, with the image being stretched horizontally. In order to get it to have the correct ratio I have to set it to 1366 x 768 but this displays less on the screen which is a pain.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Many thanks
Clariman

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: Windows 10 Update has messed up external screen resolution

Postby Breelander » July 5th, 2020, 6:25 pm

Clariman wrote:... since installing the latest Windows 10 update this afternoon, my external display resolution is messed up...

Which update was that? If it was the 'Feature update to Windows 10, version 2004' then your best course of action would be to go to Settings > Recovery and select 'Go back to the previous version of Windows 10'. There are still some bugs to be fixed in 2004. There's no rush to update, version 1909 does not reach end of support until May 2021.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Postby bungeejumper » July 5th, 2020, 7:04 pm

It sounds like the sort of desktop profile problems I've come to expect from Win 10. Don't even get me started on that one. :evil:

Can you just right click from the desktop screen and select Display, then scroll down to advanced display settings? Although if it isn't recognising your screen's name and description, it may have lost the driver.

BJ

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » July 5th, 2020, 7:34 pm

bungeejumper wrote:It sounds like the sort of desktop profile problems I've come to expect from Win 10. Don't even get me started on that one. :evil:

Can you just right click from the desktop screen and select Display, then scroll down to advanced display settings? Although if it isn't recognising your screen's name and description, it may have lost the driver.

BJ

Yes I think it may have lost the driver. It doesn't recognise it as HP. I'll have to look out the driver disks that came with it.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Postby ReformedCharacter » July 5th, 2020, 9:46 pm

Clariman wrote:
bungeejumper wrote:It sounds like the sort of desktop profile problems I've come to expect from Win 10. Don't even get me started on that one. :evil:

BJ

Yes I think it may have lost the driver. It doesn't recognise it as HP. I'll have to look out the driver disks that came with it.

Before you go that far it might be worth looking for the existing driver that is probably still there, something like:

Search > Control Panel > Device Manager > Select Monitor from list and Right-Click on it > Update Driver > Browse my Computer

RC

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”