Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to GrahamPlatt,gpadsa,Steffers0,lansdown,Wasron, for Donating to support the site

Undoing an ipad update

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Undoing an ipad update

Postby Sunnypad » January 17th, 2021, 9:21 pm

Hi all

I foolishly gave in to the nagging red button.

Now my email display is horrible, actually a lot of the display is horrible.

Everything i can find about undoing it, i don't seem to have the options, or it involves a cable and connecting to a Mac which I don't have?

Is there a straightforward way to undo it?

I know, i've been foolish!

Thank you.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Re: Undoing an ipad update

Postby GoSeigen » January 17th, 2021, 9:47 pm

Sunnypad wrote:Hi all

I foolishly gave in to the nagging red button.

Now my email display is horrible, actually a lot of the display is horrible.

Everything i can find about undoing it, i don't seem to have the options, or it involves a cable and connecting to a Mac which I don't have?

Is there a straightforward way to undo it?

I know, i've been foolish!

Thank you.

Unfortunately undoing iPad updates is not easy. ISTR that if the update has recently been released then you can sometimes obtain the ipsw file for the previous version and manually install using iTunes. However this is old info and might not still apply. What you can do though is google "ipsw downgrade IOS" or something similar and see what others have experienced.

Good luck.

GS

Garless
2 Lemon pips

Postby Garless » January 17th, 2021, 10:08 pm

What version of iPad and iOS are you on? My old iPad 2 got very bad on updates I did not want but my mini is finest on latest updates.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 17th, 2021, 11:24 pm

Thank you
It's 6th generation, software version 14.3

It does look like it can't be reversed

That'll Teach me not to update, I don't know what possessed me :shock:

mark88man
2 Lemon pips

Postby mark88man » January 18th, 2021, 8:37 am

Have you explored ways to change the look and feel, much as I hate Apple products for exactly the problems you have experienced, they are normally pretty good at allowing look and feel to be tweaked. Alternatively - get with the programme and get used to it, Apple knows best :shock:

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » January 18th, 2021, 9:19 am

hmmm!

so is it an opinion or a view, that letting an Ipad do updates when red light appears is unwise?
mine says it will 'auto update...later'
then next morning tells me that it couldnt because not connected???

Ipad is only ever connected for charging..and is never turned off.........so how would i stop it??

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » January 18th, 2021, 9:23 am

I've never had a problem installing updates as they appear. Though the iPad is quite old and can't take the absolute latest version.

If there's a problem maybe it's with the configuration rather than the update per se. I think maybe it's not unknown for updates to inadvertently change a setting.

Scott.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 18th, 2021, 9:52 am

Sunnypad wrote:Now my email display is horrible, actually a lot of the display is horrible.

Are you saying you just don't like the new style, or is there a problem with how it's working/displaying?

GS

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 18th, 2021, 9:56 am

Thanks all

I do think it can't be undone

The mistake I made was letting the red light bother me

Auto updates are switched off on mine. I was having a moment where I thought "get with it".

There's no way to tweak the email display that I cam find but they get worse and worse for burying simple things in bizarre places. I will try again after work.

After this I will try and buy something simpler!

mtl3108

Postby mtl3108 » January 18th, 2021, 10:47 am

I'm not an Apple fan but I bought an Ipad 12.9" because there was no Android equivalent.

I feel it's best to be on the latest OS release; prior to version 14.2 saved logins for websites were hopeless.

With version 14.3 I find Yahoo Mail, Gmail, and the Apple mail programme all continue to work correctly

Dod101
The full Lemon

Postby Dod101 » January 18th, 2021, 11:09 am

mutantpoodle wrote:hmmm!

so is it an opinion or a view, that letting an Ipad do updates when red light appears is unwise?
mine says it will 'auto update...later'
then next morning tells me that it couldnt because not connected???

Ipad is only ever connected for charging..and is never turned off.........so how would i stop it??

My 6th generation Ipad told me that it could not update because I was not connected to the internet. I left i well within range a couple of nights ago and it updated with no problem. I assume the same update.

Dod

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Postby JohnB » January 18th, 2021, 12:16 pm

I just let my ipad get on with it, life is too short. I'm more aggressive holding back bad Android app updates on my phone, but accept the OS ones. On my Linux desktop I fight quite hard for what I want, as I don't like modern UI gimmicks. But you can't be an expert on them all.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 18th, 2021, 8:03 pm

mtl3108 wrote:I'm not an Apple fan but I bought an Ipad 12.9" because there was no Android equivalent.

I feel it's best to be on the latest OS release; prior to version 14.2 saved logins for websites were hopeless.

With version 14.3 I find Yahoo Mail, Gmail, and the Apple mail programme all continue to work correctly

Interesting, I never had issues with saved logins.

What my yahoo mail has done is split into three screens

left shows all mailboxes

Middle, a long list/chain of all the emails in that box with a preview

Right is the full text of whatever email is highlighted. I don't want the middle. They are taking equal space whereas before, the left column was narrow and the right was wide.

A random aside, Twitter now has a little crown icon in the top tab. Does Jack Dorsey think he is king now? :lol:

I'm sure I'll get used to it but ugh.

Hypster
Lemon Slice

Postby Hypster » January 19th, 2021, 10:20 am

You can slide away the mailbox column and switch off the previewed lines of text if you want to allow most space for the email content. That would be easier than trying to downgrade the iOS version. As the updates also contain security features I think it is beneficial to keep current. I know some people advocate resisting the upgrade to major versions until the .1 iteration is released but the security updates give me piece of mind. Just my 2p.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 19th, 2021, 11:34 am

Hypster wrote:You can slide away the mailbox column and switch off the previewed lines of text if you want to allow most space for the email content. That would be easier than trying to downgrade the iOS version. As the updates also contain security features I think it is beneficial to keep current. I know some people advocate resisting the upgrade to major versions until the .1 iteration is released but the security updates give me piece of mind. Just my 2p.

Thanks
It's the middle bit I want rid of, that doesn't seem to go

I think I will either ditch the ipad or look for a less complicated tablet. It's jam packed with features I don't use or want. Mum bought it for me which was really kind - because I spend so much time at her place - but I tend to be so busy with her, I'm not sure how useful it is.

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Postby GoSeigen » January 19th, 2021, 12:12 pm

Sunnypad wrote:
Hypster wrote:You can slide away the mailbox column and switch off the previewed lines of text if you want to allow most space for the email content. That would be easier than trying to downgrade the iOS version. As the updates also contain security features I think it is beneficial to keep current. I know some people advocate resisting the upgrade to major versions until the .1 iteration is released but the security updates give me piece of mind. Just my 2p.

Thanks
It's the middle bit I want rid of, that doesn't seem to go

I think I will either ditch the ipad or look for a less complicated tablet. It's jam packed with features I don't use or want. Mum bought it for me which was really kind - because I spend so much time at her place - but I tend to be so busy with her, I'm not sure how useful it is.

You can ignore or hide away the things you don't want. I think you'll find Android and Microsoft tablets have even more extraneous features as those platforms tend to cater more for "geeks".

Are there specific things that are bothering you/ getting in the way?

GS

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 20th, 2021, 10:16 am

Thanks Go

I want to get rid of that middle bit of the email, I've switched off preview but it makes no difference.

I know what mailbox I'm in, previously I didn't have this 3 column stuff.

Generally the display is different, I know it sounds petty but I don't normally update so it's just different.

I'll have to get used to it and learn not to update again.

Lanark
Lemon Quarter

Postby Lanark » January 20th, 2021, 10:23 am

If you dont like or cant customise the email client, just install a different one. Thats a ridiculous reason to stop applying security updates.

Sunnypad
Lemon Slice

Postby Sunnypad » January 29th, 2021, 1:08 pm

Lanark wrote:If you dont like or cant customise the email client, just install a different one. Thats a ridiculous reason to stop applying security updates.

You say that but you can ignore updates for a long time? Or forever?

If it's a security update, it usually says so. This one didn't, hence my regret.

I had to google email client but I don't think it applies here

It is just the yahoo app.

I'm not sure if I should try to learn more about how this stuff works. It seems to change every week anyway so maybe it's best to learn if and when it becomes necessary. It's a bit like doing household stuff I guess.

In the past, maybe ten years ago, I had a work ipad. It definitely seems like there's a lot more stuff on them now? And stuff you can't get rid of.

I have another question if anyone has time to answer it. When printers are no longer supported for wireless printing, will wire connected printing still work? Thank you.

xeny
Lemon Slice

Postby xeny » January 30th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Sunnypad wrote:It is just the yahoo app.

If it's the Yahoo app you're unhappy with, why not use the built in Apple Mail app to deal with your Yahoo email?

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”