Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to eyeball08,Wondergirly,bofh,johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva, for Donating to support the site

scart to hdmi lead

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

scart to hdmi lead

Postby mutantpoodle » February 25th, 2021, 11:34 am

having bought new TV it doesnt have scart sockets so am needing scart to hdmi lead for DVD player

looking (as you do) on amazon most advertsied seem to have different scart plugs to my one
mine has two rows of pins
most advertsied seem to have 3 rows

am I missing something or is this just another example of how old my units ae?

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: scart to hdmi lead

Postby kempiejon » February 25th, 2021, 12:00 pm

Scart is an analogue thingumy and HDMI is digital the two are not really compatible, I think you'll need some electronics.
Like this un https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg0 ... stallation £70.

Alternatively does your DVD player have any other outputs like RCA/Phono? If so does your TV have any other inputs like RCA/Phono

edit to add you can get new HDMI DVD players for £70.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 25th, 2021, 12:08 pm

kempiejon wrote:edit to add you can get new HDMI DVD players for £70.

Or even £25.

Scott. (who once paid £400 for a DVD player)

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » February 25th, 2021, 12:19 pm

You can get SCART to HDMI adapter boxes on Amazon for a tenner and up. Might be worth reading the negative reviews first though at that price to see if they do job well enough (or not)...

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 25th, 2021, 1:34 pm

All SCART plugs are the same AFAIK.

Does your DVD player have any other connectors such as S-Video? What inputs does your TV have?

Adapters from SCART to RGB and S-Video are simple and cheap as no signal processing is involved. However, they will only output an S-Video signal if your DVD player outputs one on the SCART connector. It probably doesn't.

If you have RCA sockets on your TV, they are likely to be YPBPR, not RGB. The connectors are the same but the signals are not compatible.

I suggest a new DVD player, or you could use the excuse to upgrade to Blu-Ray.

Julian F. G. W.

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » February 25th, 2021, 2:26 pm

mutantpoodle wrote:looking (as you do) on amazon most advertsied seem to have different scart plugs to my one

Plugs with 3 rows of pins are likely to be DVI, not SCART.

Scott.

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » February 26th, 2021, 4:34 pm

swill453 wrote:
mutantpoodle wrote:looking (as you do) on amazon most advertsied seem to have different scart plugs to my one

Plugs with 3 rows of pins are likely to be DVI, not SCART.
Scott.

Or something else entirely, or the wrong picture for the item - unfortunately a lot of the listings on Amazon are full of errors.

But yes, there's only one kind of SCART plug. And SCART is analogue-only and HDMI is digital-only, so connecting them will be a converter, not a simple lead. They do exist - here's one: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08DLK16X4/ (not a recommendation). Note that a lot of them don't include a power unit, you'll need a USB power supply (e.g. an old mobile phone charger) and a spare mains socket to plug it in.

However if the TV has other inputs, or the DVD player has other outputs, you may be able to connect them. The most likely is probably a "composite video" input on the TV, often a phono plug coloured yellow, which is a simple adaptor from SCART such as this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk//dp/B079KQMYBS/

PhaseThree

Postby PhaseThree » February 26th, 2021, 5:38 pm

To be honest you might want to take this as a sign that it is time to upgrade the DVD player rather than play around with format converter boxes and the like.
This one seems to be perfectly reasonable at £35
https://www.richersounds.com/tv-home-ci ... sr760.html

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » February 26th, 2021, 7:00 pm

SteelCamel wrote:However if the TV has other inputs, or the DVD player has other outputs, you may be able to connect them. The most likely is probably a "composite video" input on the TV, often a phono plug coloured yellow, which is a simple adaptor from SCART such as this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk//dp/B079KQMYBS/

You need to check what signals the DVD player outputs onto the SCART connector.

SCART connectors can be used to carry RGB signals, composite signals, S-Video signals and (rarely) YPBPR signals. You would need to check the instructions for your DVD player to see what signals it outputs. A simple SCART to composite adapter won't work if the DVD player does not produce a composite output.

Julian F. G. W.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Quarter

Postby mutantpoodle » February 27th, 2021, 9:07 am

many thanks everyone for all comments
my DVD players are all old..upwards of 5 years

the DVD players all work just fine on all TVs except the newest so we will accept that restriction

thanks again

SteelCamel
2 Lemon pips

Postby SteelCamel » February 27th, 2021, 9:39 pm

jfgw wrote:
SteelCamel wrote:However if the TV has other inputs, or the DVD player has other outputs, you may be able to connect them. The most likely is probably a "composite video" input on the TV, often a phono plug coloured yellow, which is a simple adaptor from SCART such as this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk//dp/B079KQMYBS/

You need to check what signals the DVD player outputs onto the SCART connector.

SCART connectors can be used to carry RGB signals, composite signals, S-Video signals and (rarely) YPBPR signals. You would need to check the instructions for your DVD player to see what signals it outputs. A simple SCART to composite adapter won't work if the DVD player does not produce a composite output.

That's true. But I've yet to see any device with a SCART output that doesn't output composite video, whether the other signals are present or not.

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”