Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Can't delete data on old CDs

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Can't delete data on old CDs

Postby Jonetc15 » August 5th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I have quite a number of old CDs which I used to use as backups until 15 years or so ago. I now want to dispose of them, preferably deleting the information on them before cutting them up. There's quite a bit of private info that's still relevant on them.

However, when I put them in the D drive I could open the files and folders on them, but for some reason I could not delete anything. If I pressed ‘delete’ on the keyboard nothing happened. And if I right clicked on any individual file or folder the drop-down menu did not have a ‘delete’ option. I wonder if anyone can think where I may be going wrong.

Then, if I cut them up, strictly speaking they are not allowed in our plastics and metal recycling bin.

All comments/advice will be most gratefully received

Jon

PhaseThree

Re: Can't delete data on old CDs

Postby PhaseThree » August 5th, 2021, 5:11 pm

If these are old data CDs they are likely to be "Write Once" versions aka CD-R rather than the re-writable versions known as CD-RW.
If this is the case then they can't be erased hence the missing delete menu item.

Cut them into little pieces and bin in the normal waste if you cant recycle

kyu66
2 Lemon pips

Postby kyu66 » August 5th, 2021, 5:16 pm

Jonetc15 wrote:I have quite a number of old CDs which I used to use as backups until 15 years or so ago. I now want to dispose of them, preferably deleting the information on them before cutting them up. There's quite a bit of private info that's still relevant on them.

However, when I put them in the D drive I could open the files and folders on them, but for some reason I could not delete anything. If I pressed ‘delete’ on the keyboard nothing happened. And if I right clicked on any individual file or folder the drop-down menu did not have a ‘delete’ option. I wonder if anyone can think where I may be going wrong.

Then, if I cut them up, strictly speaking they are not allowed in our plastics and metal recycling bin.

All comments/advice will be most gratefully received

Jon

Some CDs (especially old ones) are write-once, rather than read/write-many, so once written to you cannot delete the contents (just like a vinyl record.)

Cutting them up is sufficient, but if you are really paranoid, take a blow-torch to them. Probably a good idea to split the small fragments over a number of refuse sacks over time.
HTH
kyu66

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » August 5th, 2021, 5:17 pm

PhaseThree wrote:If these are old data CDs they are likely to be "Write Once" versions aka CD-R rather than the re-writable versions known as CD-RW.
If this is the case then they can't be erased hence the missing delete menu item.

Cut them into little pieces and bin in the normal waste if you cant recycle

Very many thanks indeed PhaseThree for such a quick reply, solving my problem. I'm most grateful

All the very best

Jon

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 5th, 2021, 5:18 pm

Will a hairdryer work...or blowtorch? :twisted:

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Postby jfgw » August 5th, 2021, 6:57 pm

With almost all media, deleting something does not erase it; it merely marks it as deleted. The deleted contents can usually be recovered quite easily if they have not been overwritten.

Cutting a CD in half will stop most people from reading it.

Allow plenty of ventilation if you go the blowtorch or (old, not used for food any more) microwave oven route.

Julian F. G. W.

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » August 6th, 2021, 5:34 pm

kyu66 wrote:Some CDs (especially old ones) are write-once, rather than read/write-many, so once written to you cannot delete the contents (just like a vinyl record.)

Cutting them up is sufficient, but if you are really paranoid, take a blow-torch to them. Probably a good idea to split the small fragments over a number of refuse sacks over time.
HTH
kyu66

I'm sorry not to have replied to your typically helpful post, kyu66. I had thought of making sure that the shreddings could be drip-fed, but I also like the blow-torch - because I am indeed paranoid...
Many thanks also to Julian F.G.W. for another comment.
All the very best
Jon

monabri
Lemon Half

Postby monabri » August 6th, 2021, 7:45 pm

Jonetc15
Lemon Slice

Postby Jonetc15 » August 7th, 2021, 12:50 pm

monabri wrote:Some ideas (30 sec video) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2-rhDvkb6k

Very many thanks monabri for this (and for your previous post which I haven't thanked you for). An interesting link. I do appreciate your trouble in replying so helpfully.
All the very best
Jon

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 7th, 2021, 3:57 pm

If you cut them to multiple peivces they will effectively be in readable etc anyway ?

Then burn them in a fire?

stick them under magnet for a week?

temn feed them to agoat ?

etc etc etc

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Postby ursaminortaur » August 7th, 2021, 5:23 pm

didds wrote:If you cut them to multiple peivces they will effectively be in readable etc anyway ?

Then burn them in a fire?

stick them under magnet for a week?

temn feed them to agoat ?

etc etc etc

Magnets don't affect CDs.

https://sciencing.com/do-affect-cds-audio-tapes-5295950.html

Magnets can destroy data. While this is certainly true of the floppy disc and some (very) old hard drives, you might wonder whether it's true of musical mediums such as cassette tapes and CDs. Well, floppy discs were vulnerable to magnetic force because they arranged the data magnetically. As such, understanding the effect of magnets on other mediums requires understanding of how they work.
How CDs work

A CD uses lasers to playback. Tiny grooves on the surface of the CD are recognized by the laser, which is used to read the grooves. The CD player then interprets the data and translates it as sound. For our purposes, the main difference between the CD and the cassette tape is that magnets are used neither to record nor to playback CDs.

Magnets' Effect on CDs

Magnets have no affect CDs. While a magnet may be attracted to the metal surface of the CD, the magnet can't affect the data on the disc because the data on the disc is not arranged magnetically. While a powerful magnet's attraction to the disc could physically scratch the disc if you're not careful, this can't strictly be called a magnetic effect on the data. You can safely consider your CD collection magnet-proof.

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » August 7th, 2021, 9:18 pm

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

A the fifth and 6th

burn the goat

eat it

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”