Donate to Remove ads

Got a credit card? use our Credit Card & Finance Calculators

Thanks to johnstevens77,Bhoddhisatva,scotia,Anonymous,Cornytiv34, for Donating to support the site

Facebook- someone trying to reset my password.

Seek assistance with all types of tech. - computer, phone, TV, heating controls etc.
Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Facebook- someone trying to reset my password.

Postby Clariman » October 19th, 2021, 7:30 pm

I received an email yesterday to my secondary email address, purporting to be from Facebook, giving me the code I requested for changing my password.

I ignored it, thinking it a phishing attempt. However I realised that I had received the same message to my primary email address and it appeared genuine.

Luckily fb gives you an online settings option to allow you to view emails it has sent you. Sure enough both emails from Facebook were genuine, so I clicked on the button that said I had not requested it.

I'm glad I realised it was genuine, but am concerned that someone was trying to steal my fb identity. Is this very common and nothing to worry about or should I he particularly concerned?

Thanks
C

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Re: Facebook- someone trying to reset my password.

Postby Infrasonic » October 19th, 2021, 7:41 pm

I know a few people who've had their FB accounts hacked.
The benefit is the same as hacking an email account - you get a new database of contacts to sell to phishers/junk mailers et al.
Keep your FB privacy settings as locked down as possible without making it impossible to use effectively - and use 2FA log in.

Watis
Lemon Quarter

Postby Watis » October 19th, 2021, 8:37 pm

Not Facebook, but I did once try to log into one of my accounts but failed three times, which temporarily locked the account.

I was certain I had typed the password correctly. And I most likely had, because only then did I realise that I had entered my username incorrectly!

If my mistyped username was owned by someone else, they would have had to get their account unlocked, although this might have just meant waiting for a timeout to expire.

So, there can be an innocent reason for activity that looks like someone is trying to access your account.

I've been more careful since.

Watis

didds
Lemon Half

Postby didds » October 20th, 2021, 10:08 am

Infrasonic wrote:I know a few people who've had their FB accounts hacked.
The benefit is the same as hacking an email account - you get a new database of contacts to sell to phishers/junk mailers et al.
Keep your FB privacy settings as locked down as possible without making it impossible to use effectively - and use 2FA log in.

... and remove any FB apps that you REALLY dont need - these (having been previously given rights to access your "stuff") _may_ provide backdoors that changing passwords and using 2FA do not close .

I've suggested this to friends who have had cloned accounts etc and their response is invariably "I have no FB apps". Then we look and there are dozens typically for every FB game, or survey etc that they have tried in FB )

didds

swill453
Lemon Half

Postby swill453 » October 20th, 2021, 10:13 am

Cloning Facebook accounts is not the same as hacking them. Anybody can (attempt to) clone an account without a password. They just create a new account with the same profile picture and a very similar name, then send out friend requests to all the clonees friends.

If anyone accepts the request then they're giving away their privacy (i.e. ability to see their timeline and other information) to a stranger.

A good reason to not allow your FB friends list to be visible globally.

Scott.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Postby Boots » October 20th, 2021, 11:34 am

I had the same message about a recovery code on both 15th and 17th and reported them both (having made proper checks as to their origin).

Probably a coincidence, but perhaps there has been ramp up in attacks?

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Postby kiloran » October 20th, 2021, 11:50 am

Could there be a totally innocent explanation....... someone has an email address very similar to yours, mis-typed it when trying to sign in to Facebook so they were actually using your email address without realising it, therefore their password didn't work so they requested a password reset, which of course then goes to your email account

--kiloran

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 20th, 2021, 11:54 am

Boots wrote:I had the same message about a recovery code on both 15th and 17th and reported them both (having made proper checks as to their origin).

Probably a coincidence, but perhaps there has been ramp up in attacks?

Entirely anecdotal but I know three people in the last two weeks who have had full on hacks of their FB accounts where they've had to go through the FB account recovery procedures. So maybe.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 22nd, 2021, 10:33 pm

didds wrote:
Infrasonic wrote:I know a few people who've had their FB accounts hacked.

... and remove any FB apps that you REALLY dont need - these (having been previously given rights to access your "stuff") _may_ provide backdoors that changing passwords and using 2FA do not close .

I've suggested this to friends who have had cloned accounts etc and their response is invariably "I have no FB apps". Then we look and there are dozens typically for every FB game, or survey etc that they have tried in FB )

didds

Thanks. As a matter of principle I don't use any FB apps or any 3rd party apps that require me to log in with FB credentials.

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Postby Clariman » October 22nd, 2021, 10:35 pm

kiloran wrote:Could there be a totally innocent explanation....... someone has an email address very similar to yours, mis-typed it when trying to sign in to Facebook so they were actually using your email address without realising it, therefore their password didn't work so they requested a password reset, which of course then goes to your email account

--kiloran

Not impossible but VERY unlikely. My name is not a common name. Googling only finds one other person in the world with my name and I use my own domain name that is super-specific to me!

Infrasonic
Lemon Quarter

Postby Infrasonic » October 23rd, 2021, 12:43 pm

Well guess what I've just received?

An email alert from FB.

Someone tried to Iog in To Your Account, User lD :*******

Hi **************, Anamul tried to log in to your account!

A user just logged into your Facebook account from a new device iphone 11 pro. We are sending you this email to verify it's really you.

Report the user
Yes, me

Thanks,
The Facebook Team

This message was sent to ************@*********.com. If you don't want to receive these emails from Facebook in the future, please unsubscribe.
Facebook, Inc., Attention: Community Support, 1 Facebook Way, Menlo Park, CA 94025
To help keep your account secure, please don't forward this email. Learn more.

It's not from Facebook though, it's spoofed. And there's no alerts/emails in my FB security bit. I'm using the MS authenticator app for 2FA log in, just scan in a FB QR code to set up - done.

Message source headers (partial).
Received: from HE1EUR04FT055.eop-eur04.prod.protection.outlook.com
(2603:10a6:f10:13:cafe::c7) by SV0P279CA0046.outlook.office365.com
(2603:10a6:f10:13::15) with Microsoft SMTP Server (version=TLS1_2,
cipher=TLS_ECDHE_RSA_WITH_AES_256_GCM_SHA384) id 15.20.4628.18 via Frontend
Transport; Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:37:37 +0000
Authentication-Results: spf=neutral (sender IP is 192.185.145.108)
smtp.mailfrom=motamarisxs.club; dkim=none (message not signed)
header.d=none;dmarc=fail action=oreject
header.from=Faceboook.com;compauth=fail reason=000
Received-SPF: Neutral (protection.outlook.com: 192.185.145.108 is neither
permitted nor denied by domain of motamarisxs.club)
Received: from gateway32.websitewelcome.com (192.185.145.108) by
HE1EUR04FT055.mail.protection.outlook.com (10.152.27.44) with Microsoft SMTP
Server id 15.20.4628.16 via Frontend Transport; Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:37:36
+0000

Return to “Technology - Computers, TV, Phones etc.”